WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Wireless Printer and Verizon Hotspot 4G

Lavey5150

Just one more
Reaction score
I have pulled my hair out trying to figure this out, Verizon is worthless and HP can go fock themselves for support...here's the synopsis:

I have an HP Photosmart C4795 wireless printer, it used to run off my ATT wireless router system, that is gone, I now have the Verizon 4G MiFi LTE Hotspot,all being ran through a gateway laptop. I had the printer working w/ the old hotspot from Verizon, which has been replaced by this MiFi unit,they are the same thing essentially. I can't figure out how to get this new MIFi and printer paired? I did not stay at a Holiday Inn last night either:hmm Help:swear

Attachments

• HP-Photosmart-C4795-300x189.jpg
    HP-Photosmart-C4795-300x189.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 4,790
  • Verizon-Wireless-4G-LTE-Mobile-Hotspot-MiFi-4510L.jpg
    Verizon-Wireless-4G-LTE-Mobile-Hotspot-MiFi-4510L.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 1,276

Kleptow

Reaction score
Why are you pairing with the Hot spot? should be pairing with your laptop so nothing would have changed switching hot spots.

Lavey5150

Just one more
Reaction score
Why are you pairing with the Hot spot? should be pairing with your laptop so nothing would have changed switching hot spots.

I haven't been able to determine if the printer is a WIFI or a bluetooth, if I go laptop to printer direct, is this a wifi or bluetooth connection,and if so, do you lose your internet connection in doing so? I dunno I'm confused......The printer has an icon on it that looks like a small lighthouse or thermometer with waves coming off it?Is that B-tooth or wifi? :swear

Paul65k

Schiada Baby.......Yeah!!
Reaction score
I haven't been able to determine if the printer is a WIFI or a bluetooth, if I go laptop to printer direct, is this a wifi or bluetooth connection,and if so, do you lose your internet connection in doing so? I dunno I'm confused......The printer has an icon on it that looks like a small lighthouse or thermometer with waves coming off it?Is that B-tooth or wifi? :swear
This printer does NOT have Bluetooth capability so connecting it directly to your computer will likely need to be accolplished via a home network....which will require router capability most likely.

Good luck!

Lavey5150

Just one more
Reaction score
Here is what I think is happening;

The MiFi you have now is an access point that can support up to 5 devices (I think) simultaneously. A router is a different animal than an access point as it includes the additional capabilities of creating a network environment and can connect and allow other devices to communicate with each other and not simply access an ISP (in this case Verizon) as you are doing with the MiFi.

Your previous set-up utilized a router and was the key to being able to access your printer.

I have a similar set-up for our river house but use an aircard that connects through a USB port that I use with a router (Cradlepoint) specifically made for aircards or Ethernet if you have one. You will need to figure out how to connect your MiFi to a router (<$100) if you want to create a network environment (needed to share devices) or take the MiFi back to Verizon and get an aircard and go the router path.

I'm not an IT expert so I may be mistaken about this but I think this is what is going on for you at this point.

Good luck!

Gotcha, that is what I have found w/ the router point, but I had this configured w/ the old hotspot already, whether it was going from the puter to the MIFI then to the printer,or puter to printer direct, I dunno, If I can go laptop to printer direct, and not lose the internet connection, I'm in.....I just can't figure out how it was done, a neighbor was helping me at the time and we did it w/ out our knowledge:p, and did not take notes.....

Forensic

No Title
Reaction score
You probably have a new ip address and/or wireless security key.

The HP manual says to run the CD that came with the printer and when prompted connect the printer to the laptop with a USB cable. It will automatically try to join the wireless network. Once its complete you can unplug the USB and print wirelessly.

Forensic

No Title
Reaction score
Here's a thought. Read the manuals that came with the router and printer. I took a look at them and they cover everything you need.

ka0tyk

Warlock Performance Boats Merchandise Connections
Reaction score
you need to either use the software that came with the printer and plug in directly to configure it, or use the little controls on the front of it and join it to the mifi's wireless... there is usually a little sticker on the back of it with the default mifi SSID (or name, ie: verizon hotspot452) and the default WEP password. once thats entered into the config, there should be a way to print a status screen. on that status screen there should be an "ip address" such as 192.168, 172.16, etc... anything other than 169.254 (169.254 means it didnt get an ip address from the mifi so it just assigned itself a default one). once you have the ip address you go into yer windows printer setup and add it as an IP printer and select your driver, and give it the ip address of the printer. USUALLY the software they give you will scan your network and do all the setup for you once its connected to your wireless network.

if you're saying it was working at one time its prolly configured to look for your old mifi SSID and it just sits and searches for it... prolly reset factory defaults or hit the reconfigure button.

Last edited:

Lavey5150

Just one more
Reaction score
thanks all, I reset to factory defaults, and found some ware online and it works now........:thumbsup