WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Doomsday Preppers...

DaytonaBabe

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Anyone watch this show on NatGeo? Geeeeze... It's on right now and they are focused on a family in Phoenix. The dude is convinced that a coronal mass ejection is going to knock out the power grid, cause a nuclear meltdown and the end of the world in 2012. This guy has turned his pool into a Talapia pond and all other kinds of insane shit...

Am I the only one who feels like if the entire Earth implodes I'm takin a hollow point to the dome? No way I want to be around if this so-called doomsday hits.

PS: Not talking about a minor incident that is survivable, got plenty of ammo for that. They're talking about the apocalyptic end of civilization as we know it.... like "The Road" by Cormac McCarthy if you've read that book...

Last edited:

HPBoats83

Reaction score
I wonder if they have a job? They say they worked on their fort about 7 hours per day.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

GRADS2009

Banned
Reaction score
It's on right now and they are focused on a family in Phoenix. The dude is convinced that a coronal mass ejection is going to knock out the power grid, cause a nuclear meltdown and the end of the world in 2012. This guy has turned his pool into a Talapia pond and all other kinds of insane shit....

*****?

mjc

Retired Neighbor
Reaction score
I wonder if they have a job? They say they worked on their fort about 7 hours per day.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

I watched one earlier this week and there is no way those people have time to go work somewhere else. The one i watched had 50k puonds of food stored.

77charger

Reaction score
Bunch of over worried people who really think the world is going to end and they will be the only ones to survive.They all think they got a plan only prob it aint going to work if they are at work and try to get home!

Besides if one of these disasters were to strike like they think most would be dead anyways.

I do think its good to have some stuff for prep for a few days in case of a quake or natural disaster,But these peeps are just freaks.Most anyone that heads to the deserts for riding or camp most likely have enough for what you will really need.

want to get a real laugh read the calguns forums.LOL

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
What they are showing is nothing compared to what's really out there.

HUGE co-ops of well funded groups getting dialed in for doomsday.

With our government going broke, loosing the freedoms this country was founded on because somebody feels like taking them away,,, hey, it could happen.

[video=youtube;-mUCLHzWiJo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mUCLHzWiJo&feature=related[/video]

Old Texan

Honorary Warden #377 Emeritus - R.I.P.
Reaction score
Using Mad Maxx as an example, the prepared have's will be wiped out by the renegade have not pyschos with mohawks, traveling in armored "dune buggy's", and wearing assless bluejeans.......:eek:

Luvnlife

Head Ram Rod
Reaction score
Using Mad Maxx as an example, the prepared have's will be wiped out by the renegade have not pyschos with mohawks, traveling in armored "dune buggy's", and wearing assless bluejeans.......:eek:

Right on, I'm all in:D

Luvnlife

Head Ram Rod
Reaction score
We watched about an hour last week. I'm done with it. I don't know if they really are those big of dumbasses or they are pumping it up for the series. Goes along with the show Cops, when you are feeling down turn that show on and you will feel good about yourself. Again, done and over.:cool:

DaytonaBabe

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Right on, I'm all in:D

Me too... there aren't a lot of places that I can wear my assless blue jeans these days. Good to know I'll be able to do it while infiltrating these Preppers compounds:D

We watched about an hour last week. I'm done with it. I don't know if they really are those big of dumbasses or they are pumping it up for the series. Goes along with the show Cops, when you are feeling down turn that show on and you will feel good about yourself. Again, done and over.:cool:

I was done with it last night when they were showing the family that has built their compound out of eight steel shipping containers. They decided that they would test the integrity of the metal siding to see if it could withstand gunfire. They backed off about 100 yards and shot it with a .22 LR - the network piped in sound from something like an AR. Anyone who has ever shot a .22 knows that it sounds nothing like an AR. They also showed dents in the metal from where the .22 round supposedly hit. hmmm, doubtful. I was pretty much yelling at the tv after that and my husband changed the channel. LOL

DaveC

Car-boat motors
Reaction score
Just face it. The only reason to watch that show is to come away with a positive outlook on your life after watching it and realizing how fucked up those idiots are on that show

:D

Last edited:

DaytonaBabe

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Just face it. The only reason to watch that show is to come away with a positive outlook on your life after wathing it after realizing how fucked up those idiots on that show are.

:D

TRUE! Sad to think about how messed up some of their kids might end up...

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Remember the Y2K deal???

A guy I worked with was all fired up about it!!! I asked him...

If all the puters are gonna take a crap, how did they figure out that 30 year loan on your house you got a couple years ago???

He didnt have an answer for that. :p

Schi-502

Reaction score
On the roof tops!
Disasters aren't forever. But those seasoned Koreans willing to trade gun fire for security are a good example of being prepared.

The looters of Katrina, not the government employees shoplifting at WalMart, stayed clear of the home owners posting looters beware signs.

D

Deleted Account

I was done with it last night when they were showing the family that has built their compound out of eight steel shipping containers. They decided that they would test the integrity of the metal siding to see if it could withstand gunfire. They backed off about 100 yards and shot it with a .22 LR - the network piped in sound from something like an AR. Anyone who has ever shot a .22 knows that it sounds nothing like an AR. They also showed dents in the metal from where the .22 round supposedly hit. hmmm, doubtful. I was pretty much yelling at the tv after that and my husband changed the channel. LOL

lol... Someone shot up one of our containers with a .45, blew right through one wall. An AR round goes all the way through, likely a bunch of the walls.:thumbsup

Tom Brown

Epsilon contributor
Reaction score
I joined a mailing list a few years ago called "off grid living". It is ostensibly about solar energy and sustainable lifestyles. I've been playing around with this stuff for a while because our lake house is pretty remote.

Anyway, last fall I got the first email that shared some theories on how civilization will end, and it will be every man for themselves. Since then, it's been an endless stream of anti-government, skin head, bullshit.

The BS that's arriving at my inbox almost weekly is so bad, I welcome the apocalypse, if nothing else, to shut these guys the hell up.

2Driver

Reaction score
I couldn't take more than 10 minutes.

The guy shooting at his house to make sure the sides are bullet proof but standing next to a glass window talking about it....WTF?

The one guy was a fat focking tick. Survivalist, he's not worried about being taken out by a health issue before the earth goes off grid?

Rye

Reaction score
First, I know this is an ancient thread but I’ve been watching re-runs and there is one guy that bought a formerly ATT compound and has sunk $7M into it. Another guy either bought a share or wholly a R-44 for $.5M. Some of them are throwing serious money down.

2Driver

Reaction score
LOL The Nat Geo channel is real tv.

Gelcoater

Reaction score
First, I know this is an ancient thread but I’ve been watching re-runs and there is one guy that bought a formerly ATT compound and has sunk $7M into it. Another guy either bought a share or wholly a R-44 for $.5M. Some of them are throwing serious money down.
Mostly to protect and hedge themselves.
From the future invisioned by the people you vote for.🖕

rivrrts429

Arch Stanton...
Reaction score
it’s interesting what these people do but why would the biggest takeaway be how much someone is spending? Clearly their checks are being cashed and it’s something these owners enjoy and make a priority.

If I had that kind of dough I might do the same. I’ve in some of these compounds and they’re pretty neat. Most of the people that I know that own them enjoy the novelty the most.

petie6464

Reaction score
Fear and pain are the two sure ways to milk money outta people. Been this way for thousands if years, still works today.

cofooter

Reaction score
If there is a Doomsday, it won't spare these nutcases either.......... who watches this.......

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Bet these prepers didn’t see the great toilet paper shortage of 2020 coming! I saw quite a few shows, not a single mention of huge charmin caches!
Oddly, close to 9 years ago I was buying a motor from a fellow. Pretty normal, retired guy. Nice place and cars as well. In his garage he had the back wall stacked, floor to ceiling...Charmin!
He caught my shock and said pretty matter of fact, "When the shit hits the fan, I still wanna wipe my ass".
When last year came around with the shortage of TP, all I could picture was that guy posted up behind a wall of sand bags, Rambo bandana and an M249 :oops:

wash11

Reaction score
I'm surrounded by a few of these whackjobs, Covid seems to have rekindled the fire then add the new administration and we're right back to end of times chatter.

TITTIES AND BEER

Honorary RDP Inmate #160 Emeritus - R.I.P. Mark 😢
Reaction score
I'm surrounded by a few of these whackjobs, Covid seems to have rekindled the fire then add the new administration and we're right back to end of times chatter.
The people around us are going to die in 3 days if something happens as soon as McDonald’s don’t open they will die 😂

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
Well, all conjecture aside , our sun will die in about 5 billion years. It’s about 4.5 billion years old now so it’s halfway.
But it hasn’t always been the perfect sun. Nor will remain the same until it explodes.
The human species has about 1 billion years until the sun cooks the earth enough to be uninhabitable...that’s barring the million ways we will likely blow ourselves up before then. lol
Or the earth will soon be cleansed again, maybe in a few thousand years, then recover for a few million years, then start over again, like it has for billions of years.
But all that doesn’t change the scientific fact that life on this planet, and the planet itself, is a finite condition.

D821D054-AD23-4624-BC44-828E17FC0227.png

4Waters

Reaction score
Well, all conjecture aside , our sun will die in about 5 billion years. It’s about 4.5 billion years old now so it’s halfway.
But it hasn’t always been the perfect sun. Nor will remain the same until it explodes.
The human species has about 1 billion years until the sun cooks the earth enough to be uninhabitable...that’s barring the million ways we will likely blow ourselves up before then. lol
Or the earth will soon be cleansed again, maybe in a few thousand years, then recover for a few million years, then start over again, like it has for billions of years.
But all that doesn’t change the scientific fact that life on this planet, and the planet itself, is a finite condition.

View attachment 1020442
Well shit, if the sun's life expectancy is half over then it should start cooling off. I'm gonna buy a bunch of snowmobiles tomorrow, the promised ice age of the 80's is finally coming 🤣

Rye

Reaction score
In one episode a guy had a windmill for water. Seems practical and looks cool in rural setting. Problem would be it’s an advertisement that says he’s got water.

Taboma

Reaction score
In one episode a guy had a windmill for water. Seems practical and looks cool in rural setting. Problem would be it’s an advertisement that says he’s got water.

There's windmills still pumping water for cattle tanks in the area of our ranch. Most all are Aermotor, which since 1888 are still made in Texas and might be the only USA company still producing them. I'd imagine they're still very popular today on those huge Texas ranches.
This one is obviously just a relic, but it's fun finding them out in the mountains.
Aermotor windmill.jpg

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
The thing I always thought was off was "prepping" in an urban area. At some point, you could never defend yourself from the masses. Now, there are also varying degrees of "Prepper". @wash11 says there are a few of those "whackjobs" by him. To many people, he would be one of them. People who have never lived outside cities or towns, have never seen a need to have more than a week's worth of supplies. There are people that may have just weather issues trapping them for weeks on end.

By LA county standards, I would be a "prepper". By rural standards, I'm maybe a little "overstocked". What it comes down to is my kids will eat without me needing to depend on outside sources for fair time...to me, that's just common sense to me. If one believes governments will help the people, that is great. If you can help yourself though, it will lessen the stress on you, as well as allowing limited supplies be spread further to those who may need it.

OCMerrill

All in...
Reaction score
There's windmills still pumping water for cattle tanks in the area of our ranch. Most all are Aermotor, which since 1888 are still made in Texas and might be the only USA company still producing them. I'd imagine they're still very popular today on those huge Texas ranches.
This one is obviously just a relic, but it's fun finding them out in the mountains. View attachment 1020447

I like that you stopped and took notice. There is info there that's of value. Our current state of existence is extremely fragile.
That relic is from a time when human life needed to be a little more hearty.

Dalton

Reaction score
Prepping is a interesting idea but I'm not a believer, possibly prepping for short term, but not long term events. Whenever something happens to a region that makes it no longer hospitable, people migrate, in other countries that have been struck by war or conditions that make life impossible, initially they think the same thing we do, hunker down, well survive this, but eventually it sets in they need to gtfo of there.

Best thing to have? Probably currency (different types), gold, maybe crypto but I don't know anything about that. Be prepared for your own home country currency to devalue, and collapse of national banks. There's basically no chance of this happening in the US though.

Taboma

Reaction score
I like that you stopped and took notice. There is info there that's of value. Our current state of existence is extremely fragile.
That relic is from a time when human life needed to be a little more hearty.

That's what we've enjoyed about our various small SXS we've owned. We can really get back into the canyons and follow them as far as possible.
This area was all mines and cattle ranches since the white man came, and Indians before that.
We've been slowly exploring these mountain trails for 17 years and still discover new to us old long forgotten trails overgrown with scrub oak.
First ritual with every new SxS we've bought. Back it off the trailer then drive through a few scrub oak bushes, pinstripe the living shit out of it in the first ten minutes.
There, now no worries about keeping it pretty, the new is off and let's go have fun. 👍
I tell ya what though, when your wearing shorts and those spikey scrub oak leaves get down your pants leg, they really hurt 😬

Couple of others we found, with springs nearby.

Unnamed wells and springs.jpg

The cattle ranches are smaller these days, but the cattle are still around. My wife does NOT like standoff like this, one bit 😅

SVR Cow.jpg

Waterjunky

RDP Inmate #94
Reaction score
Growing up rural and still living like that, some would call me a prepper. I don't think so. statistically I am not living through an end or world scenario. What I do want is to get through is stupid stuff like a week without power as that can happen when you are not in a high priority urban area of the grid. Things like the beginning of the covid thing when many grocery stores were bare for several weeks. Things like earthquakes and such happen and the threat is real. This is what I "prep" for.......

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
As a percentage of population, the uber-wealthy are more inclined to be preppers than the rest of us.

Perhaps they know something that we don’t?
Perhaps the billionaires who are flocking to St. Bart’s are into something.

Here’s how billionaires prepare…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
I dont fully understand the prepper mentality.
Anyone who’s been around here for a while knows I’m a little “out there” on some of my opinion. Lol
But I dont understand what the goal is by hiding in a “shelter” and existing.
Is it a refusal to accept ones mortality? Is it a desire to perpetuate ones lineage by keeping kids alive to go out and fight for humanity?
Me personally, I think most prepper situations are nothing more than siege targets in the event of apocalypse.
To me, mobility and acquisition seem to be more beneficial in the event of an apocalyptic environment.
Hiding isn’t really the way to go in my mind.
Bit then again, I’m at peace with my maker and am not afraid.