WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Gas or Electric?

sirbob

Reaction score
I have been looking for some time to buy a cart and have seen a couple around that I really like but they seem to be gas - I have been thinking that I wanted an electric cart.

I want the cart to use in my neighborhood and I like the idea of electric because of the quiet factor - I don't want to be running around on a nice saturday morning waking everybody up because I want to go see the waves in the morning.

Does anybody sell a muffler system for carts? I mean a real muffler - so it sounds like a car - I am not looking for a spark arrestor on a lawnmower. I don't know if its possible to make a cart as quiet as I would like but I guess I'm asking how quiet can you make a gas cart?

What are the benefits of gas vs electric? All input is appreciated ...

SydneyRaysDad

Average Member
Reaction score
I had a gas cart several years ago. It ran pretty quiet. I chose gas because we took it camping and out to Dumont. I liked the piece of mind knowing that if I was away from a plug I wouldn't get stranded. The other factor I considered was the expense of having to replace the batteries. Good luck.

sirbob

Reaction score
I had a gas cart several years ago. It ran pretty quiet. I chose gas because we took it camping and out to Dumont. I liked the piece of mind knowing that if I was away from a plug I wouldn't get stranded. The other factor I considered was the expense of having to replace the batteries. Good luck.

Ya if I was using it for trips to the desert I would want gas for sure but this one I want to use around the house and a plug in should always be pretty close by - thx for the thoughts

I see some that I would buy right now if they were electric but they are gas and I am struggling with the urge to just buy a gas one at a price that fits my budget but do not want to regret it once I have it home...

Last edited:

Mr Wicked

Reaction score
gas stock cart are not very load at all... bigger motor carts can have an auto type muffler installed to make them quiet....

electric carts usaually are cheaper to start off with and if you maintane the batts will last 4 to 5 years...

even neighborhood tech you need then licensed keep that in mind...

what is your budget and what style you looking for?????

2 4 6 seater lifted or not???

sirbob

Reaction score
what is your budget and what style you looking for?????

2 4 6 seater lifted or not???

This one is listed in the classifieds right now at 3500 ish I like the ST package and would like something like this in electric in really good shape.

Any ideas?

Attachments

• Screen shot 2012-03-05 at 2.37.58 PM.jpg
    Screen shot 2012-03-05 at 2.37.58 PM.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 229

Mr Wicked

Reaction score
thats a great deal on the gas cart.... what about the st sport package you like???

Havaduner

Never home on weekends
Reaction score
I went electric for exactly the reason you mentioned. I get up early, and dont like the idea of a gas cart waking up the neighbors while I cruise the park on the way to breakfast. I check the batteries everytime I get to the lake, and make sure to fully charge it when we get there. I get 3 years out of batteries easy. I can do some desert cruising with it, when we go out shooting. As long as you stay on hard pack, you can go for quite a ways.

Mr Wicked

Reaction score
we also have new smart chargers that will maintain your charge while you are away.... so when you get to the river the cart is fully charged and ready to go...

sirbob

Reaction score
thats a great deal on the gas cart.... what about the st sport package you like???

On the ST package... Pretty much has all the option I like including the look of the front bodywork

78Southwind

Reaction score
We like our 2010 Zone NEV (Neighborhood Electric Vehicle - Chinese Cart) since its street legal on 35 MPH streets. We like to cruise around our condo complex in Arizona late at night so we don't have worry about waking up our neighbors since it's electric. We bring it home to California in the winter time and are able to cruise the streets of Chino Hills too.

There were a lot of these sold (10,000) at the end of 2009 due to the tax incentive so if you're interested you can get a pretty good deal for a street legal NEV. I have seen used 2010's for sale from $4,000 to $6,000 just depending on the upgrades. Here's a couple pictures of what they look like. Also, Jake's has lift kits, tow hitches and disk brakes available for them too.

Attachments

• Zone_Nev_Roxy.jpg
    Zone_Nev_Roxy.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 178
  • LN_Condo_Zone_SeaDoos.jpg
    LN_Condo_Zone_SeaDoos.jpg
    137.5 KB · Views: 181
Last edited:

Mr Wicked

Reaction score
On the ST package... Pretty much has all the option I like including the look of the front bodywork

the st sport was a factory ez-go with a 3" lift gas 350 cc 11 hp with torque clutch 10" rims 20" tires
flip back seat and 80" top head/tail lights

the front cowl is also used on the work horses and st sports

your not going to find many electric st sports

the long travel kit on the one for sale is still availabke for 2001 and oder carts the long travel for 2002 and newer is no longer made...

we have 2 st/workhorse cowls that we can make any ezgo look the same...
we also have the same 80" top that can be installed on any cart
also have flip rear seats....

that st sport is a steal at $3500.00

sirbob

Reaction score
the st sport was a factory ez-go with a 3" lift gas 350 cc 11 hp with torque clutch 10" rims 20" tires
flip back seat and 80" top head/tail lights

the front cowl is also used on the work horses and st sports

your not going to find many electric st sports

the long travel kit on the one for sale is still availabke for 2001 and oder carts the long travel for 2002 and newer is no longer made...

we have 2 st/workhorse cowls that we can make any ezgo look the same...
we also have the same 80" top that can be installed on any cart
also have flip rear seats....

that st sport is a steal at $3500.00

So that begs the question... how much $ to build / assemble a like cart with 48v electric motors - don't have to have the long travel kit could live with the stock 3 in lift.

But I do want this - st sport was a factory ez-go with a 3" lift 10" rims 20" tires flip back seat and 80" top head/tail lights

Mr Wicked

Reaction score
So that begs the question... how much $ to build / assemble a like cart with 48v electric motors - don't have to have the long travel kit could live with the stock 3 in lift.

But I do want this - st sport was a factory ez-go with a 3" lift 10" rims 20" tires flip back seat and 80" top head/tail lights

you want this

ezgo electric cart
up graded to 48 volts (why)
flip back seat
80" top
St cowl (front end)
head/tail lights
most likly be a 5" lift
10" wheels with 22/10/10 tires

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
Electric is a pain.....

Our gas cart is pretty quiet and I have never had a single person complain about the noise.

Barry's cart is a good deal....You don't want to build one the $$$ add up real quick.

aefe493e-30f1-99bd.jpg

djunkie

Broke mo fo
Reaction score
Electric is a pain.....

Our gas cart is pretty quiet and I have never had a single person complain about the noise.

Barry's cart is a good deal....You don't want to build one the $$$ add up real quick.

aefe493e-30f1-99bd.jpg

Chucks like the president. Rides in the back seat of his own car. :D

Sent from my iPad using Tap That Ass

djunkie

Broke mo fo
Reaction score
I had a gas cart and it was really quiet also stock. When I put the 23hp Briggs motor in it with a stock type muffler that was even pretty quiet. Then I threw a header on it with a super trapp and it sounded like a Harley. :D

Sent from my iPad using Tap That Ass

Mr Wicked

Reaction score
we Club Carts that are already 48 volts and a cheap price and then we still can add the ligths back seat and long top...

Attachments

• IMAG1414.jpg
    IMAG1414.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 127

Mr Wicked

Reaction score
Electric is a pain.....

aefe493e-30f1-99bd.jpg

cole thats one of our limo carts we were the only one stretching the st sports nice cart

Mr Wicked

Reaction score
we are builing a street legal cart now for a guy 48 volt with lithium batteries a few bucks more but fully charged in 1 hour and 50 to 80 miles on a charged 13 to 20 years of battery life and the best the cart is 320 pounds lighter....

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
cole thats one of our limo carts we were the only one stretching the st sports nice cart

We might of bought it from a friend of yours then...lol

Guy had a place at the rio and said he did the stretch?

Cart must of cost a mint new with all teh goodies. We love it and the $5000 price tag was well worth it. Its actually crazy where we have taken that thing off road. Its slow as shit but it tractors up and over some pretty rough stuff.

[video=youtube;ijXY-k-Dy5g]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijXY-k-Dy5g&list=UUiVH15cQRR4oj28QyDutf3A&index=9&feature=plcp[/video]

Mr Wicked

Reaction score
We might of bought it from a friend of yours then...lol

Guy had a place at the rio and said he did the stretch?

Cart must of cost a mint new with all teh goodies. We love it and the $5000 price tag was well worth it. Its actually crazy where we have taken that thing off road. Its slow as shit but it tractors up and over some pretty rough stuff.

Limo cart - YouTube

was that brett river addicts???? freindly guy and he bought alot of carts from us and sent alot of customers new they were $6500 and $7500.00

sirbob

Reaction score
you want this

ezgo electric cart
up graded to 48 volts (why)
flip back seat
80" top
St cowl (front end)
head/tail lights
most likly be a 5" lift
10" wheels with 22/10/10 tires

The why on 48v - more power? IDK it sounds better than 36v :)

Seriously I am assuming it would be bigger fast stronger - but Im open to info as to why / why not

yes on everything else

BarryMac

An Adelanto 9...
Reaction score
This one is listed in the classifieds right now at 3500 ish I like the ST package and would like something like this in electric in really good shape.

Any ideas?

Make me an offer that I can't refuse... :)

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
was that brett river addicts???? freindly guy and he bought alot of carts from us and sent alot of customers new they were $6500 and $7500.00

I found it here so maybe?

I would be surprised if retail with the A arm lift, all the billet and bling,lights, and stereo it was $7500. If it was thats a very fair price for a new lifted cart.

It turns like a school bus but the extra seat has been huge for our family.

Mr Wicked

Reaction score
I found it here so maybe?

I would be surprised if retail with the A arm lift, all the billet and bling,lights, and stereo it was $7500. If it was thats a very fair price for a new lifted cart.

It turns like a school bus but the extra seat has been huge for our family.

thats what they went for golf cart depot brought container loads of the st stports over in and was blowing them out

and we cut and made all of his limo carts that were sold here on the west side

Mr Wicked

Reaction score
The why on 48v - more power? IDK it sounds better than 36v :)

Seriously I am assuming it would be bigger fast stronger - but Im open to info as to why / why not

yes on everything else

well 72 volt sounds even better then LOL
ezgo
stock 36 volt 18mph
up graded controller 36 volts 23 mph $700.00 up grade
48 volt controller up grade 30 mph $2000.00 up grade

sirbob

Reaction score
Make me an offer that I can't refuse... :)

Barry

I have been watching your thread for a few weeks now - I did not want to stroke you by asking too many questions about your cart...

But because you have responded here I guess I wont feel too bad :)

I know you said the cart is not in SD (I live in San Clemente), but I would be interested in possibly seeing it if its with in an hour or so drive.

The two things I would be most interested in seeing are the over all condition (I want something very clean) and hearing the motor run - as Im sure you have seen in this thread I am looking for something pretty quiet.

If the cart is or will be nearby soon I will commit to coming to look at it. If you should still have it available during desert storm possibly we could meet there if that would be easier for you logistically.

I have cash ready and will buy on the spot if it meets my expectations.. let me know what you think.

BarryMac

An Adelanto 9...
Reaction score
Barry

I have been watching your thread for a few weeks now - I did not want to stroke you by asking too many questions about your cart...

But because you have responded here I guess I wont feel too bad :)

I know you said the cart is not in SD (I live in San Clemente), but I would be interested in possibly seeing it if its with in an hour or so drive.

The two things I would be most interested in seeing are the over all condition (I want something very clean) and hearing the motor run - as Im sure you have seen in this thread I am looking for something pretty quiet.

If the cart is or will be nearby soon I will commit to coming to look at it. If you should still have it available during desert storm possibly we could meet there if that would be easier for you logistically.

I have cash ready and will buy on the spot if it meets my expectations.. let me know what you think.

Please feel free to ask away...

I'm not gonna blow smoke up your rear end and tell you that it's as quiet as a Hybrid car at idle or an electric cart. I can tell you that it's pretty quiet and has the stock exhaust system on it.

The motor is solid. I have meticulously maintained the cart for the last 4 years, oil changes, plugs, air and fuel filter every year. The cart is washed and spray waxed before it is put away every trip to the river and covered with two covers. I would say that I am fairly anal when it comes to keeping it clean. I wont lie and tell you that it's absolutely perfect, the cover has rubbed some of the paint off of the front baja bar, there are a couple of scratches but other then normal wear and tear, nothing major. Feel free to ask UltraBabe or Roz about the condition.

The cart is at my place at the river just north of Yuma. I don't have plans to bring it home unless someone was seriously interested. If it doesn't sell by Desert Storm it is possible that I will tow it up to Havasu, we are renting a park model at the Islander.

sirbob

Reaction score
Please feel free to ask away...

I'm not gonna blow smoke up your rear end and tell you that it's as quiet as a Hybrid car at idle or an electric cart. I can tell you that it's pretty quiet and has the stock exhaust system on it.

The motor is solid. I have meticulously maintained the cart for the last 4 years, oil changes, plugs, air and fuel filter every year. The cart is washed and spray waxed before it is put away every trip to the river and covered with two covers. I would say that I am fairly anal when it comes to keeping it clean. I wont lie and tell you that it's absolutely perfect, the cover has rubbed some of the paint off of the front baja bar, there are a couple of scratches but other then normal wear and tear, nothing major. Feel free to ask UltraBabe or Roz about the condition.

The cart is at my place at the river just north of Yuma. I don't have plans to bring it home unless someone was seriously interested. If it doesn't sell by Desert Storm it is possible that I will tow it up to Havasu, we are renting a park model at the Islander.

Thx for the info - do you know anybody that has the same motor in a cart around north county sd or south county oc ? While I am serious I would not ask you to go get the cart from the river just so I can hear how loud the motor is...

I will also be at the islander during DS if it comes to that.