WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Help with floor replacement?

mab1219

Reaction score
I have a Hallett V-Drive Daycruiser that needs the subfloor replaced. I was shocked to find un treated plywood used from the manufacturer that had rotted from the bottom to the point of replacement. I was hoping someone could help advise on a couple things: - what thickness marine ply to use and what to coat it with before I put it down, should I screw it to the stringers or glue it, what to use where the floor runs into the side of the boat, do I glass the entire top side or is the coating enough, and any other advice you can think of to do this right. I have talked to a couple people and have heard a difference in opinions so I figured I would post this somewhere people have done this before. Thanks.

ace one

Reaction score
This is a pretty old thread but I could tell you how we do it >>>>>>>>

first make sure that the floor is the only part that is bad and not the transom and stringers also

depending on what boat you have I would pull the complete floor out and then take a good look at what you have and what condition it is in

I would do any other repairs that are needed to the transom or strings first

I use 1/2" marine plywood or now days it is almost 5/8"

fit it as your original floor in place, some times you will need to taper the out side edges to fit the floor tight and then at the joints I put a additional piece of plywood under the joint area with about a 4" overlap on both sides if you know what I mean, no manufacture ever does that. I use a industrial type staple gun that uses 1/2" wide x 1 1/4" galvanized staples

I apply fiberglass mat to the bottom side of your floor and coat all of the edges with resin (polyester or vinylester is fine no need for epoxy)

USE mat and x- mat...not cloth material that is for surfboards

I would set the floor back down with 3M 5200 on top of your stringers and then screw it down with some good deck screws

I would fill all of the voids around the edges with some type of polyester filler, I use cabosil mixed with resin

I would then glass the complete floor with a layer of x-mat and depending on the boat I first put a layer of x-mat at all the joints

this will give a log lasting strong floor

I apply two layers of x-mat and ares that the seats will be lag bolted back down if that is how you would be doing it

recarpet and reassemble....:eek: a real pain in the BUTT

Last edited:

classicboats

Reaction score
What he said^ but be sure that's the boat is fully supported on the bottom or it will move around once you pull the floor and be a mess..