EltonPorter - Top

American Racing - Top

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1 Time
    SWEEEET.......
    Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result - Winston Churchill

Thanks
    Thanked 115 Times
    That's a bummer. Good luck with the new build!!
    Keep us posted with pics if you can.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2
    Don't be irreplaceable; if you can't be replaced, you can't be promoted.

Thanks
    Thanked 572 Times
    Quote Originally Posted by Wicky View Post
    The motor was toast in less than 10 minutes and one run up comp hill at Dumont...whomever built it, VW Paradise according to the prior owner, set the endplay way too tight at .004 and caused heat which caused scorching and seizing. The case is toast.
    New motor being built now...a monster 2386 with 044 heads, SCAT crank, Engle FK 8, Autocraft 1.4 to 1 rockers, topped off with some seriously worked 48 Dellortos. At 900lbs This car is going to crush a lot of LS cars! NOt all of them, but most! I am also completely stripping down the Mazzone and having it blasted and coated. Brraaaaap!
    That sucks to hear but IMO .004 is tight but should have lasted alot longer.My bet is something else failed alot of older cases are beat already.My 1914 was set at .004 and i had no probs taking it to 6500 rpm

.003-.005 is what they call for stock.I built my motor to rev and set it for .006 i usually like .005-.007.I have the wedgemate set up for my crank and flywheel the guy who dis my wedgemate does them for all the major builders so i got a good deal.

sounds like you are going to have a lil screamer when done

Thanks
    Thanked 6 Times
    Did you check out this motor before you bought it? The motor's probably going to cost more than you paid for the car. If it's built witht the right parts.

Sorry to hear this, I experienced this with my boat and the 2.5/260. I got 17 hours then it sat for 2 years!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,755 Times
    Quote Originally Posted by Fltplan View Post
    Did you check out this motor before you bought it? The motor's probably going to cost more than you paid for the car. If it's built witht the right parts.

Sorry to hear this, I experienced this with my boat and the 2.5/260. I got 17 hours then it sat for 2 years!
    WEll, for the amount I paid for the buggy, a new motor was already in the budget. Jim Hale, owner of High Desert VW Engineering, is a friend and he is doing the build. He's been doing buggies since the 60s and isn't charging me what he could. I've seen some 550HP turboed alcohol cars that he has built and they are sick. If you ever saw the sand dragster called "Sandwiser" that was his car. The new motor is going to be sick for sure.

Friends don't let friends buy Rollbar boats.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,755 Times
    Frame is completely stripped down now and headed to Extreme Powder Coating in Hesperia. Weight of the Mazzone frame is 140#. Gotta love that! I'll start uploading some pics soon.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,542 Times
    Pics for sure!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,755 Times
    Motor is going to be a 2332 (94 forged Wisecos X 84 made in USA forged SCAT-not chinese crap) filled with SCAT parts including the new aluminum bubble case to hold the parts together. Heads will be 44x37.5 all ported out and polished of course and should be done this week. Cam is Engle FK 8 with 4 to 1 ratio SCAT rockers. Nice 5.7 Chevy journal H rods w/ 3/8s bolts. Parts bill came to $3200. Would have been nice to have Pauter stuff but, were talking $15K for that. Estimated HP is 265 at the moment. Not bad in a 140# frame.
    Last edited by Wicky; 06-01-2012 at 07:55 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,755 Times
    after the blast many many welds were ground down and re-welded.
    Many new re-inforcements/gussets were also put in. In the earlier, lighter, Mazzone frames, you had to pull the motor from the front. In pic two you can see the flangeless flanges so I can take motor and trans out at same time from rear of car.
    Total added weight so far is 15lbs. We are putting in seat tabs tonight and the car is headed for Extreme powdercoating in Hesperia on Monday.
    Motor is being assembled over the weekend.
    Attached Images                  

Thanks
    Thanked 4,191 Times
    Quote Originally Posted by Wicky View Post
    Motor is going to be a 2332 (94 forged Wisecos X 84 made in USA forged SCAT-not chinese crap) filled with SCAT parts including the new aluminum bubble case to hold the parts together. Heads will be 44x37.5 all ported out and polished of course and should be done this week. Cam is Engle FK 8 with 4 to 1 ratio SCAT rockers. Nice 5.7 Chevy journal H rods w/ 3/8s bolts. Parts bill came to $3200. Would have been nice to have Pauter stuff but, were talking $15K for that. Estimated HP is 265 at the moment. Not bad in a 140# frame.
    I ran that same cam in my old Bugs 2276 and in the 1835 that was in my rail. Had a wicked power band.

Sent from my iPad using Tap That Ass
    The beater.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast