WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Windows 8 won't support burning CD's.

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
426_1lg.jpg
wdPML7PiwBYsNAxGhtVCGk-dVlaIBpN0R4BdYKqPiZecfDANO6fDVKlxOczdmwk2vLlIW6HDFf9NgpKfjTu68fibMgaRycoW_6_G01J_EhLifPeaSJm9V351mm4H7TLN3z24qRC2IEG0

Recently installed an upgraded sound system in our boat. Changed out to bigger, and added more JL marine speakers, high-end marine Alpine head unit and amp.
The former unit is going into one of the kids trucks.

What an amazing difference in sound quality on this unit. Even my Elvis and Billy Joel sounds like they just recorded their tunes on modern digital equipment.

I missed the vinyl days when ya spun a tune or two, sit at the record player and read the album cover and inside pages while the music played.
But I can live with it with Sat radio, CD's and iPods.

Wife just plugs her phone it to the head unit, kids hit Aux and the boats TV's play through it too.

It's all come so far,, and evidently moving ahead.
Microsoft just announced Windows 8 will not support burning nor playing CD's according to * Fox Business news.
Now that stinks.

Still like the quick access and sound of a CD.
I had read sometime back, that CD's were a long ways off because they hadn't figured out a way to get the CD 100% flat for proper recording.
An engineer with 3M read the same story and went to 3M company management and asked for some development money to find a way to produce a 100% flat CD.

3M is in the flat products business if ya think about it. Their stuff is always good, and they soon figured out a way to do it. 3M then patented the process, and they get a royalty on every CD produced today according to the book "In search of Excellence".

Last edited:

shueman

Reaction score
Windows 8 stinks, so no bother...:grumble: USB storage is the way to go...:thumbsup

cxr

Reaction score
426_1lg.jpg
wdPML7PiwBYsNAxGhtVCGk-dVlaIBpN0R4BdYKqPiZecfDANO6fDVKlxOczdmwk2vLlIW6HDFf9NgpKfjTu68fibMgaRycoW_6_G01J_EhLifPeaSJm9V351mm4H7TLN3z24qRC2IEG0

Recently installed an upgraded sound system in our boat. Changed out to bigger, and added more JL marine speakers, high-end marine Alpine head unit and amp.
The former unit is going into one of the kids trucks.

What an amazing difference in sound quality on this unit. Even my Elvis and Billy Joel sounds like they just recorded their tunes on modern digital equipment.

I missed the vinyl days when ya spun a tune or two, sit at the record player and read the album cover and inside pages while the music played.
But I can live with it with Sat radio, CD's and iPods.

Wife just plugs her phone it to the head unit, kids hit Aux and the boats TV's play through it too.

It's all come so far,, and evidently moving ahead.
Microsoft just announced Windows 8 will not support burning nor playing CD's.
Now that stinks.

Still like the quick access and sound of a CD.
I had read sometime back, that CD's were a long ways off because they hadn't figured out a way to get the CD 100% flat for proper recording.
An engineer with 3M read the same story and went to 3M company management and asked for some development money to find a way to produce a 100% flat CD.

3M is in the flat products business if ya think about it. Their stuff is always good, and they soon figured out a way to do it. 3M then patented the process, and they get a royalty on every CD produced today according to the book "In search of Excellence".

CD's/DVD's will go the way of the beta shortly everything will be downloadable/ streamable.

im suprised you have to plug the phone into the unit... it shouls connect wirelessly or bluetooth.

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
CD's/DVD's will go the way of the beta shortly everything will be downloadable/ streamable.

im suprised you have to plug the phone into the unit... it shouls connect wirelessly or bluetooth.

It has that too. :thumbsup

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
Early versions of Windows didn't burn CDs from the OS...you had to have a third party program to do it.

Maybe that's the case with with Win 8?

2 Tapatalk 1 Cup

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
Early versions of Windows didn't burn CDs from the OS...you had to have a third party program to do it.

Maybe that's the case with with Win 8?

2 Tapatalk 1 Cup

imac.jpg

Seriously though, on my Windows machines I always use "Exact Audio Copy" (EAC) anyway.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Are there risks to installing Windows 8 Consumer Preview?

Yes. Windows 8 Consumer Preview is stable and has been thoroughly tested, but it?s not the finished product. Your PC could crash and you could lose important files. You should back up your data and you shouldn't test Windows 8 Consumer Preview on your primary home or business PC. You might also encounter problems like:
  • Software that doesn?t install or work correctly, including antivirus or security programs.
  • Printers, video cards, or other hardware that doesn?t work.
  • Difficulty accessing corporate or home networks.
  • Files that might become corrupted.
You should carefully balance the risks and rewards of trying out the Windows 8 Consumer Preview before you install it.

Beta sux! :p

Flyinbowtie

Reaction score
Well if they do dump CD and everything goes to streaming they better upgrade the format, because if you are really listening to the music, not just drinking and partying to it, MP3 sucks.
I guess I am just old, but I am with Ross in that the warmth and depth of a good mix on vinyl beats the snot out of digital music, and CD sounds 5x better than MP3.

Hey Ross if you like the band Boston, and didn't know it Sholz went through the first two albums early in 2010 and remastered them...on CD...the sound is much improved, you can hear the drums and the percussion is crystal clear, a live experience in a perfect studio with no crowd noise is what it sounds like..
worth buying IMHO.

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
Well if they do dump CD and everything goes to streaming they better upgrade the format, because if you are really listening to the music, not just drinking and partying to it, MP3 sucks.
I guess I am just old, but I am with Ross in that the warmth and depth of a good mix on vinyl beats the snot out of digital music, and CD sounds 5x better than MP3.

Hey Ross if you like the band Boston, and didn't know it Sholz went through the first two albums early in 2010 and remastered them...on CD...the sound is much improved, you can hear the drums and the percussion is crystal clear, a live experience in a perfect studio with no crowd noise is what it sounds like..
worth buying IMHO.

Yep,, yes indeed. :thumbsup

pronstar

Reaction score

worth buying IMHO.

MP3's are "lossy" codecs.
If you digitize your music using a lossless format, then they're the same bit-for-bit as the CD.

This only helps I you own the CD in the first place. I'm not aware of anyone selling lossless digital music.

2 Tapatalk 1 Cup

DrHW

Reaction score
Easy CD-DA Extractor is still the best. I pay for all CD's so high quality is a must.

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
Anyone know how to speed up the bit rate to improve sound off iPods?
All my books on the subject talk about it, but none give instructions on how to do it.

pronstar

Reaction score
Anyone know how to speed up the bit rate to improve sound off iPods?
All my books on the subject talk about it, but none give instructions on how to do it.

You set the bitrate when you rip the music from your source CD to an MP3 (or whatever format you use).

Once in MP3 format, you can go down in bitrate - the sound is shitty, its better to start with the source then go directly to the lower bitrate you want.
But you can't go up in bitrate to get better sound from a low-bitrate source.

Tom Brown

Epsilon contributor
Reaction score
Once in MP3 format, you can go down in bitrate - the sound is shitty, its better to start with the source then go directly to the lower bitrate you want.

I encode with LAME and find 192 kbps is excellent for most source material. Of course, I wouldn't dream of using 192 kbps. lol!

I use variable bit rate (VBR) and it sounds pretty much exactly as good as the original lossless rip file, even on a high end system. Naturally, I only use mp3 for iPods. I wouldn't dream of listening to a lossy format on a good stereo, even if the source material is a 60s one hit wonder that was originally mastered on a linear 4 track.

lol! :D

We are seriously snobs. Me included. How much do we fuss over our library, ripping CDs multiple times in different formats so we can have absolutely the best quality possible?

I think that mentality comes from the 1970s when records sounded best on the first couple of playings so you would buy an album and immediately record it on a chromium dioxide cassette with some dolby B noise reduction and then file the album away for archival purposes. We all thought we were doing precision work in a laboratory environment. Hell, we were. :D

A 192 kbps rip with a good quality encoder will probably outstrip any cassette recording but I miss cassette, albums, D3 (and later the D4 system) record cleaning system, AudioTechnica phono cartridges with the colored needle system, AKG phono cartridges, balancing the tone arm, anti-skating, biasing a cassette using your $3K deck... unlike those losers who are not biasing their recordings because they can't stump for the hardware, adding precisely 10 seconds of lead-in to every album recording so your entire library has the precision of a military drill team... because you wouldn't want anyone to think you're one of these idiots who puts a random amount of lead-in, flipping back and forth between the source and the recording in real time because you have a three head deck and having it sound exactly the same, although you're pretty sure you can tell the most minute difference so you put it back to the higher quality "source" on the amp.

Queue a post by Rexone in which he makes me feel young again. lol! :D

Flyinbowtie

Reaction score
I am gonna need on of you gurus to walk me trhough the bitrate tinkering sometime in the near future. I don't care if I have to lose half the rated capacity of the ipod or thumbdrive. I too buy all my music on CD because I am proud to be music snob.

Sent from my Ally using Tapatalk

pronstar

Reaction score
We are seriously snobs. Me included. How much do we fuss over our library, ripping CDs multiple times in different formats so we can have absolutely the best quality possible?

Back when data storage wasn't as cheap as it is today, I was one of those guys who ripped and re-ripped music at different bitrates :D

Now that data storage is cheap, I'm just re-ripping (for the last time, I swear!) my CD's to Apple Lossless.
If I need a lower bitrate for some strange reason, I can do it from the lossless file.

For purchased music, I go to Amazon and buy at 256kbps. It's not lossless, but it's "good enough" though not quite as good as lossless, or a CD.

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
I am gonna need on of you gurus to walk me trhough the bitrate tinkering sometime in the near future. I don't care if I have to lose half the rated capacity of the ipod or thumbdrive. I too buy all my music on CD because I am proud to be music snob.

Sent from my Ally using Tapatalk

Me too, CD music sounds so much better than any other source.

Tom Brown

Epsilon contributor
Reaction score
If you're using LAME, uust use the " --preset standard" flag. If your software shields you from that, I believe it's VBR (not VBR FAST which lowers quality), "low" quality. That will provide excellent quality.

I know the "low" quality setting will put pretty much everyone here off, so you can use "--preset extreme" which will waste a whole bunch of disk space, provide zero discernible quality advantage to all but the best studio quality sound equipment, and help you feel that little bit better than the next guy.

lol! :D

I use "--preset standard". I have some pretty solid equipment and I can't tell the difference between mp3 and FLAC (my lossless codec of choice... not Apple lossless which is going to seem like a poor choice ten years from now but iPod/iPhone users are forced into now).

.... but, of course, I listen to FLAC at home when I have access to both RIPs. lol!

I keep the mp3 RIPs around for iPods. Basically, I rip everything to FLAC. That means, entire albums including every track. I only encode my favorites to mp3. I can always encode the rest of the tracks to mp3 later, from the FLAC source and have the same thing as re-ripping them from CD.

By the way, ripping a CD to FLAC does not guarantee an exact sonic replica of the CD. There are errors and other factors that can distort the original sound but these things are only significant in the minds of golden eared audiophiles who think they can improve their sound with high quality speaker wire and properly broken in power cords.

Last edited:

Flyinbowtie

Reaction score
Tom I wish you were closer, I'd just send you 10 CD's a month from our collection and have you begin building me a decent setup on some thumb drives.

At this point I guess I will have to learn-up on what all them acronyms mean.
Actually, it sounds to me like you need to create and copyright a software program for digitizing music for audiophiles. I'd buy it in a heartbeat...all these whofors and whatnots preset, load CD, select songs from list, select good, better or best sound, destination, and hit burn.
IF you do this and wind up selling it to Microsoft I don't even want a cut, just a good craft beer when you fly me and the wife up to Canada for a vacation..

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Tom I wish you were closer, I'd just send you 10 CD's a month from our collection and have you begin building me a decent setup on some thumb drives.

At this point I guess I will have to learn-up on what all them acronyms mean.
Actually, it sounds to me like you need to create and copyright a software program for digitizing music for audiophiles. I'd buy it in a heartbeat...all these whofors and whatnots preset, load CD, select songs from list, select good, better or best sound, destination, and hit burn.
IF you do this and wind up selling it to Microsoft I don't even want a cut, just a good craft beer when you fly me and the wife up to Canada for a vacation..

Jeff, this is much easier that ol egghead Tom is making it sound! :D

Go into Windows media player options, and make the rip tab look like this. I have some half way decent audio equipment, and these settings work pretty well for me.

Give it a shot and see what you think! :)

Attachments

• rip copy.jpg
    rip copy.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 23