Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 0 Times

Evac or puke tank???

I have a 496 stroker in my baker that's roughly 575hp. motor has been great except the valves on passenger side needs adjusting as they are fresh with only one trip. The right valve cover " looking at rear of motor forward" has a PVC valve at the rear the vents to carb and left valve cover has a billet breather at the front. My headers are water jacketed with a ball valve I manually control. I noticed that during hard runs above 5200 rpm I was getting some water and oil coming from the breather. The motor is fresh and should be good but I can't have an oily mess on my boat so I was going to add a puke tank or now I have read about the evac system and was wondering what you guys might recommend? Could I also been sending too much water to the headers? I'm looking for the best and cleanest setup possible. Thanks for the help!
    Attached Images  

Thanks
    Thanked 133 Times
    I had similar problems, I had blow by hoses running into my air intake to digest any blow by into the engine. When I put same engine in Jet boat, I added a nice eddie marine puke tank. It seems to keep it a bunch cleaner. I will try and post a photo tonight.

As far as the water? Are you running your PVC valve into your exhaust?

Steve
    Quote Originally Posted by MissB View Post
    What is a yote?

Senior Member jetboatperformance's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7 Times
    Pan Vacs , from your crankcase to breather or a breather (puke) tank will help control the mess you describe however beyond a bit of residue there really shouldn't be a mess, several circumstances as you may know could contribute to the blow by your describing such as already inadequate crankcase ventilation (small breathers etc) or other issues also I would look at your oil temps (too low) respective the moisture you descibe beyond a bit of vapor you should'nt have water coming from your crankcase at all , Tanks like you describe are available as well as Evac fittings and breather Let us know if we can help Tom

Last edited by jetboatperformance; 10-08-2012 at 09:07 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 0 Times
    My PVC valve is vented to the intake manifold. Thanks for the input Tom. My oil temp might have been cold I'm running a thermostat but temps didn't get above 130. I only have water and oil above 5500rpm. It's not much but its there. I noticed the water when I had a good fog coming out the headers. When it was a very light mist I didn't see any water. I'm thinking I might try a taller breather first.

Thanks
    Thanked 7 Times
    Quote Originally Posted by Dezertracer812 View Post
    My PVC valve is vented to the intake manifold. Thanks for the input Tom. My oil temp might have been cold I'm running a thermostat but temps didn't get above 130. I only have water and oil above 5500rpm. It's not much but its there. I noticed the water when I had a good fog coming out the headers. When it was a very light mist I didn't see any water. I'm thinking I might try a taller breather first.
    Just a thought , invest in an IR electronic Temp tester , and shoot the side of your oil pan during testing , to effectively "boil" or dissapate naturally occuring moisture in your crankcase (and oil) takes a moderate amount of engine temp Tom

Thanks
    Thanked 0 Times
    I will put it in the boat and get a reading. Thanks for the input.

Thanks
    Thanked 0 Times
    Quote Originally Posted by jetboatperformance View Post
    Just a thought , invest in an IR electronic Temp tester , and shoot the side of your oil pan during testing , to effectively "boil" or dissapate naturally occuring moisture in your crankcase (and oil) takes a moderate amount of engine temp Tom
    Tom;
    What temp range would you consider adequate?
    Randy

Thanks
    Thanked 7 Times
    ideally it will hover around 210 , to avoid moisture / contaminents, , no an easy task in a Jet boat and admittedly not always obtainable

Thanks
    Thanked 0 Times
    ideally it will hover around 210 , to avoid moisture / contaminents, , no an easy task in a Jet boat and admittedly not always obtainable
    Thx Tom....

Thanks
    Thanked 2,662 Times

Question

Tom spend a minute and educate me here for a second if for nothing else a bit of knowledge gained and the sake of conversation..

Water comes in out of the pump to feed the motor.. I have seen guys that have these ball valve looking deals to adjust how much goes into the motor, and maybe exhaust?

I'm not understanding why if they have a constant flow of water at some variable pressure.. They don't use something like a pressure regulator to an orifice size for the headers, and a straight up industrial wax pill style thermostat for the engine temp? If it's below X degrees the motor doesn't get any water until it goes above X degrees..

I have read a lot of threads about these kind of issues in the past, and am just wondering why is it always a problem? There are thermostats, regulators etc.. I would assume in the automotive world / boat world already.. but if not there I know there's 100's of them in the industrial world that would fit the bill easily and not break the bank.

RD

BE NICE OR LEAVE

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast