WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Stupid diesel questions

floatn turd

Reaction score
So I'm new to the diesel scene,
and I gotz me two stupid questions.

1) I heard some guy with a Ford Excursion the "whistle" coming off his turbo was loud as hell and sounded cool. (at-least to me)

Is it that way due to an after market turbo??

2) The big ass exhaust tip, whats the benefit? does it change the sound?

I have a f-250 with a Edge juice programmer, K&N air intake and a 4" RBP exhaust all the back, I think its a 4" tip.

Thanks

FT

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score

1) I heard some guy with a Ford Excursion the "whistle" coming off his turbo was loud as hell and sounded cool. (at-least to me)

I have a f-250 with a Edge juice programmer, K&N air intake and a 4" RBP exhaust all the back, I think its a 4" tip.

Thanks

FT

Aftermarket intakes will make the turbo whistle louder. As well as removing the silencers. On ford 6.0s with exhaust they are very loud with turbo whine.

ultra26shadow

Reaction score

Thanks

FT

Was the sound like a whooooooooo whoooooooo!?:D
[video=youtube;PitGkp1ncXE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PitGkp1ncXE"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PitGkp1ncXE[/video]

djunkie

Broke mo fo
Reaction score
The Lucas oil should make it do that. :D

Sent from my iPad using Tap That Ass

Joker

Reaction score
On my 7.3 I was able to produce more of a spool by replacing the blades in the turbo .

McRib

aka HWlaser23, "B" team member
Reaction score
I have a 6.0 and 4 in pipe from the turbo back. No cat no muffler. My shit sounds like a jet turbine. The 7.3 with straight pipe has a bad ass whistle at idle and when u rap the throttle. It gets louder with a nice open intake also. The excursion u heard prob was a 7.3

floatn turd

Reaction score
I already have two of "those tips" on order. (i love that clip) WHHOOOOOO WHOOOOOOOO!!!

So remove the silencer? I will ask my mechanic guy. The Excursion I heard was way louder than mine. I mean way louder.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
My 7.3 has a kinda fluttering whistle sound at idle, almost like you can distinguish the sound from each cylinder firing.

From my POS T-mobile thingie

primetime

Reaction score
The turbo had a ring in it you can take out and that will make the whistle sound. I had a 6.0 with straight pipe, edge programmer and Air Force one intake. It had a little more whistle then stick but as soon as I took out the ring in the turbo the whistle was very loud.

djunkie

Broke mo fo
Reaction score
I already have two of "those tips" on order. (i love that clip) WHHOOOOOO WHOOOOOOOO!!!

So remove the silencer? I will ask my mechanic guy. The Excursion I heard was way louder than mine. I mean way louder.

Most likely it was a straight pipe from the turbo back.

E4L

Reaction score
I have a 6.0 and 4 in pipe from the turbo back. No cat no muffler. My shit sounds like a jet turbine. The 7.3 with straight pipe has a bad ass whistle at idle and when u rap the throttle. It gets louder with a nice open intake also. The excursion u heard prob was a 7.3

I would have to agree the 7.3 whistle more then any other diesel I have ever heard.

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
McRib's truck sounds wicked :thumbsup

It seems with each new generation of diesel engines, MFR's make them more and more quiet.
That includes muffling turbo whine.

RogerThat99

Parker Is Now OPEN
Reaction score
My 6.0 the turbo go very loud over time. It sounded like a turbine engine...it sounded very cool. Everything was stock on my truck because it was under warranty. The noise due to something going out in my turbo and I eventually had the turbo rebuilt (under warranty).

Tom Brown

Epsilon contributor
Reaction score

That cool sound is the owner's teeth grinding after returning from another expensive, denied warranty claim.

Last edited:

Zaairman

Tig ole bitties
Reaction score
The truck you heard was probably a 2003 with the 6.0... they whistle like a jet plane. Not nearly as loud as my 7.3, and I have the Wicked Wheel which does increase the whistle some.

[video=youtube;sAygUMbq0_Y]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAygUMbq0_Y[/video]

The 2003 turbo on the 6.0s was different, more vanes I believe. Also, Ford's don't have a silencer ring, that's a Cummings thing.

As for the bigger exhaust tip, think of it as like a megaphone. :D

Rvrluvr

CLAMP ON RACING
Reaction score
O you kids and your silly LITTLE turbo's:rolleyes

E4L

Reaction score
Actually the best whistle I heard was a 7.3 with a MBRP exhaust straight pipped

E4L

Reaction score
I just had my 4 inch exhaust put on yesterday. Haven't got a chance to listen to it yet.

OCMerrill

All in...
Reaction score
O you kids and your silly LITTLE turbo's:rolleyes

LOL I was waiting for that. :p

Is the whistle thing like if it don't go Chrome it? :D:D:D

I actually like a little of it but some are wicked loud. Packing some miles with that might be a little rough for me but to each to his own.

I am have a whistle tip installed in my wife's V Pocket so queefs are a little more entertaining.

Last edited:

Joker

Reaction score
The truck you heard was probably a 2003 with the 6.0... they whistle like a jet plane. Not nearly as loud as my 7.3, and I have the Wicked Wheel which does increase the whistle some.

[video=youtube;sAygUMbq0_Y]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAygUMbq0_Y[/video]

The 2003 turbo on the 6.0s was different, more vanes I believe. Also, Ford's don't have a silencer ring, that's a Cummings thing.

As for the bigger exhaust tip, think of it as like a megaphone. :D

Thanks, the wicked wheel was the blade set up I installed.

Eroc5150

Reaction score

I actually like a little of it but some are wicked loud. Packing some miles with that might be a little rough for me but to each to his own.

I am have a whistle tip installed in my wife's V Pocket so queefs are a little more entertaining.

LMAO! I almost spit coffee out my nose when I read that.

h2o225

Reaction score
My 05 whistles a little. It is loud the boys say they know when I come up the street to the school. Older son says as soon as foot comes off throttle he hears the turbo fart from a block away.

McRib

Reaction score
Heres my beast. Hope the link works

[video=youtube;lUQ-ojjKQVc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUQ-ojjKQVc&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/video]

djunkie

Broke mo fo
Reaction score

[video=youtube;lUQ-ojjKQVc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUQ-ojjKQVc&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/video]

You set it to private genius. :D

McRib

Reaction score
You set it to private genius. :D

Really? That was the first thing i changed. I put it to public. I recorded and uploaded it from my pphone. Im alot dumber then my phone. :grumble:

djunkie

Broke mo fo
Reaction score
Really? That was the first thing i changed. I put it to public. I recorded and uploaded it from my pphone. Im alot dumber then my phone. :grumble:

This is what comes up.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1354899792.639164.jpg

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
What am I hearing? When you 1st start it that dude sounds mean then the tone is way different. :headscratch:

They have a butterfly valve that helps the engine heat up when first started. There are kits out there that will manipulate the valve to operate as an exhaust brake also. My 7.3 was 5" straight pipe from the turbo back. When I would fire up the truck in the morning it was obnoxious. The 6.0 has a much more prominent turbo "whistle" when running due to the different turbo than what was on the 7.3

OCMerrill

All in...
Reaction score
They have a butterfly valve that helps the engine heat up when first started. There are kits out there that will manipulate the valve to operate as an exhaust brake also. My 7.3 was 5" straight pipe from the turbo back. When I would fire up the truck in the morning it was obnoxious. The 6.0 has a much more prominent turbo "whistle" when running due to the different turbo than what was on the 7.3

Nice Bill, thanks. That makes perfect sense to me.

McRib

Reaction score
What am I hearing? When you 1st start it that dude sounds mean then the tone is way different. :headscratch:

On the start ur hearing the raw cylinders. The sound change is the exhaust spooling up the turbo and normal idle. Its straight piped no cat no muffler. 4 in pipe 5 in tip. When,im in the throttle its fuggen crazy throaty and loud. Esp when i acclerate next to a sound wall. My truck sounds bad ass. Ive hearf some close but not quite the same. Stock turbo fyi

Joker

Reaction score
On the start ur hearing the raw cylinders. The sound change is the exhaust spooling up the turbo and normal idle. Its straight piped no cat no muffler. 4 in pipe 5 in tip. When,im in the throttle its fuggen crazy throaty and loud. Esp when i acclerate next to a sound wall. My truck sounds bad ass. Ive hearf some close but not quite the same. Stock turbo fyi

Nothing like setting car alarms off as you drive past them. :D

screaming pete

Reaction score
you guys need to get some Cummins engines...they GROWL like a beast....not just whistle while they work:thumbsup

OCMerrill

All in...
Reaction score
you guys need to get some Cummins engines...they GROWL like a beast....not just whistle while they work:thumbsup

LOL. Those things growl, at least until they pop and EGR cooler. :D

Actually those V8 Navistars sound pretty cool in full roar.

McRib

Reaction score
Here is a quick vid of of my truck in havi under the load of my 5th wheel. I love the turbo back straight pipe. Its fuggen loud. The vid muffles it quite a bit

[video=youtube;7-9osDuZCnQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-9osDuZCnQ&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/video]

djunkie

Broke mo fo
Reaction score
Here is a quick vid of of my truck in havi under the load of my 5th wheel. I love the turbo back straight pipe. Its fuggen loud. The vid muffles it quite a bit

[video=youtube;7-9osDuZCnQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-9osDuZCnQ&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/video]

Sounds like its ready to kick a rod out the side of the block. :D

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
That vid doesn't do McRib's truck justice, I think the sound was clipping the mic.

12-valve Cummins 5.9's sound more like 18-wheelers than pickup trucks :thumbsup

lakemadness

Grobe Bruste Bitte
Reaction score

You seriously have pistons hangin from your hitch, LOL. Classy.

I think the sound that you really want to hear from a diesel is from the front end of the truck. Not really the exhaust, IMO. At least for that video clip.

Last edited:

McRib

Reaction score
You seriously have pistons hangin from your hitch, LOL. Classy.

I think the sound that you really want to hear from a diesel is from the front end of the truck. Not really the exhaust, IMO. At least for that video clip.

What? U dont like my trucks nuts? Or are u offended that my truck is not wearing any underwear to cover its nuts? :p

Class..... Pfttt. Who needs class? :p

lakemadness

Grobe Bruste Bitte
Reaction score
What? U dont like my trucks nuts? Or are u offended that my truck is not wearing any underwear to cover its nuts? :p

They are a creative pair of truck nuts. LOL

plaster dave

Face down A$$ up
Reaction score

I thought it was bike parts. LMFAO

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score

Lots of nice work in this thread, but this is prolly the best...

:rotflmao:

Zaairman

Tig ole bitties
Reaction score
McRib, you might want to get your EBPV checked out... It shouldn't be turning on that soon after start-up, espeically wit how warm it is in California. I deleted mine, and I'm sooo happy that I did. :thumbsup:thumbsup