WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Prime Rib

boatnam2

Reaction score
Damm thread looked so good! Picked one up at costco today and its in the first hour stage and smelling really good! I know i know don't open the oven for nothing lol.

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score
Ok. I did 375 degrees. One hour on three hours off then 45 mins on for a 5lb. prime. It was great, you could cut it with your fork. but just a little over done for me. And I'm on Propane here. Next Time i will back it off just a bit.. Merry Christmas Everyoneand thanks for all of your help!

If you don't want to overcook it use a meat thermometer, digital ones are cheap. Pull the roast between 118 & 120 degrees internal temp and let it rest for 20 minutes.

Cooking to an internal temp pretty much makes technique a moot point, you could cook it under the hood of your car and it would come out perfect.

Last edited:

RUNNINHOTRACING163.1

Reaction score

Lunatic Fringe

Reaction score
I tried the prime rib deal last night.
4.25lb. boneless was a little over $100.00 so this won't be a regular rotation meal.:D
Olive oil, coarse salt, pepper, and a touch of fresh rosemary.
20 minutes at 500 degrees then cooked at 325 to internal temp of 127.
Tent with foil for another 15-20 minutes and it was damn good.

Attachments

• 2013-01-12_18-26-45_240.jpg
    2013-01-12_18-26-45_240.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 180
  • 2013-01-12_18-58-58_279.jpg
    2013-01-12_18-58-58_279.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 219
  • 2013-01-12_18-59-35_357.jpg
    2013-01-12_18-59-35_357.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 197

RUNNINHOTRACING163.1

Reaction score
I tried the prime rib deal last night.
4.25lb. boneless was a little over $100.00 so this won't be a regular rotation meal.:D
Olive oil, coarse salt, pepper, and a touch of fresh rosemary.
20 minutes at 500 degrees then cooked at 325 to internal temp of 127.
Tent with foil for another 15-20 minutes and it was damn good.

Looks good Bro but is that sumb!tch still breathing ??:D

ROCK ON !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/LED-BOAT-DRA...item2c6a87c5ea

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LED-BOAT-DRA...7d116a&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/JETSKI-STORA...d04775&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-BOAT-TRA...089d56&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LED-TRIM-TAB...01c609&vxp=mtr

ITS A SKATER NATION !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :champagne :champagne

Lunatic Fringe

Reaction score

The pic makes it look quite a bit more pink than it actually was.:D
It was done just right.:thumbsup

RUNNINHOTRACING163.1

Reaction score
The pic makes it look quite a bit more pink than it actually was.:D
It was done just right.:thumbsup

nice , that counter top is wicked :thumbsup:thumbsup

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LED-BOAT-DRA...item2c6a87c5ea

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LED-BOAT-DRA...7d116a&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/JETSKI-STORA...d04775&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-BOAT-TRA...089d56&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LED-TRIM-TAB...01c609&vxp=mtr

RogerThat99

Parker Is Now OPEN
Reaction score
Cooking a prime rib today. I don't know if it has been posted, but here is the a oven shut off recipe that Phebus posted back in 2007.

Prime Rib Recipe

This works for any size roast any kind. You do all the fancy stuff to it like rolling or covering it in rock salt,special herbs,ect ect if you want or just put it in, or on a roasting pan. This is the part that is hard to understand how it works but it does.
1 Put it in oven preheated to 375. Cook for 1 hour and turn off oven, and do not open the oven ever.(The roast must be in for at least 2 hours and up to 5 this way with the oven off) 2 One hour before you want to eat turn oven back on at 300 for 45 minutes. Then take out of oven and let it rest for 15 minutes before carving and it will be perfectly medium rare no matter what size roast you have. I have done 20+ prime ribs this way from 2 pounders up to a 26 pound monster. 3 If you have someone that does not like a perfectly done prime rib just put their piece into the micro for a minute to get rid of the pink for them. Dont try to put the whole thing in longer as it screws it up. My mom found this recipe from a cookbook I think named Colorado Cashe or something like that. It works everytime.

RogerThat99

Parker Is Now OPEN
Reaction score
Ok, prime rib is going in the oven. Gonna try the oven shut off method.

sent from a Samsung Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1361138210790.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1361138210790.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 169

RogerThat99

Parker Is Now OPEN
Reaction score
Finished product came out great.

sent from a Samsung Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1361209568831.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1361209568831.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 183
  • uploadfromtaptalk1361209578262.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1361209578262.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 177

Angler

Tritoon Racing
Reaction score
Looks good. What temperature is the prime rib cooked at?

Bigjem

Reaction score
oven at 350 cook for 1 hr turn off for 3 hrs dont open the door turn back on at 350 for 1 hr, thats for a full rib, a 1/2 rib cut the cook time down to 45 mins

BajaMike

Reaction score
Take a serious consideration into the preheat oven and shut off method. I just did a 4.56# pork loin with a mustard and spice rub, and I will NEVER go back to any other method.

I agree, I would bake it in the oven, the smoker or BBQ will dry it out. Look up the times and temps based on the weight, but you get the real hot, put it in, and shut off the oven.

RUNNINHOTRACING163.1

Reaction score
oven at 350 cook for 1 hr turn off for 3 hrs dont open the door turn back on at 350 for 1 hr, thats for a full rib, a 1/2 rib cut the cook time down to 45 mins

at this temp will she be more well done ?? or does it have to be grilled a bit to go from rare to WELL ?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LED-BOAT-DR...t=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=&hash=item2c6a87c5ea

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LED-BOAT-DR..._Accessories_Gear&hash=item2c6a7d116a&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-BOAT-TR..._Accessories_Gear&hash=item3cb4089d56&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LED-TRIM-TA..._Accessories_Gear&hash=item2c6501c609&vxp=mtr

LomitaBob

Reaction score
here is the thing about prime rib. Most if not all restaurants / bars that serve it use a cook and hold oven. you cook it at xxx degrees for a number of hours then it automatically clicks to the holding temp. In the restaurants I worked at we did them in an Alto-shaam Oven and cooked them at 350 and held them at 135 for a min of 5 hours to let all of the juices go back into the meat. that preheat and shot off method works kinda on the same lines. that is the key to super tender prime rib. your home oven won't maintain a low enough temp to do this properly.

if you are any good at keeping a temp on your smoker I would cook it on there with a meat thermomater in it, cook it at 340-360 until just rare than drop your temp to just below 150 for a few hours and just let it hang out until you are ready to eat. I also keep it in the covered in the bbq at the holding temp after we slice so It stays hot for 2nds.

Activated

Deplorable
Reaction score
Have always wanted to try deep frying one, gave it a shot yesterday and it turned out really good. Perfect for camping or if your rv'ing it.

Dry aged the meat in the fridge for a couple days after rubbing down with seasoning and scoring.

2y8eqeqe.jpg

Used a knife and then a knife sharpener to poke a hole through the meat.

y2uzajeb.jpg

ge6eta3a.jpg

Got the oil to about 360 degrees and cooked for about 3 1/2 minutes per pound.

ega4u8uz.jpg

dybu9eha.jpg

We killed it.

sahyme3u.jpg

tajuhugu.jpg

My oven recipe is better but this turned out pretty damn good!

Last edited:

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
Oven method for this ribeye roast:
500 degrees for 15 mins, then lower to 325 until temps hit 125. Do not open oven...
Take out and lest rest for 15 minutes.
Came out perfect.

VoodooMedMan

Inmate #446
Reaction score
Did the shut off method.
6ypysu7e.jpg

7u3e2e8e.jpg

unyze3y3.jpg

Came out a little too rare. But still great.

Add 10 degrees on each end of the recipe and you won't have that problem. Been doing it for years and that's the adjustment I made. Perfect every time. If a small one like 5 pounds then don't add the temp.

Lunatic Fringe

Reaction score
Prime rib for 2 in the Lunatic house yesterday.
A small bone in done in the oven.
The stoneware dish popped about 20 minutes in but didn't seperate until I pulled the roast. Made a damn mess.

Attachments

• IMG_20131225_164213_084.jpg
    IMG_20131225_164213_084.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 172
  • IMG_20131225_162253_522.jpg
    IMG_20131225_162253_522.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 179

ryanshaw07

Reaction score
3 minutes until I pull my prime rib out of the oven. I bought a nice 4lb piece this morning and am attempting my first oven turn off method of cooking.

Pics will follow...... If it turns out ;)

Happy New Year :champagne:

Meaney77

Reaction score
BUMP....Tis The Season... Whats everyone cooking this year?

We are hosting Christmas dinner again- ~14 people and we are doing Prime Rib. In years past we have always cooked in the oven and it always turns out great. I was thinking about doing it on the Trager this year but dont want to mess up a good thing and throw my wife into a tail spin by trying a new method. Anyone have any feedback? Use the oven, or the Trager? what kind of cooking time on the Trager? What pellets? How does it turn out??

Thanks,

VoodooMedMan

Inmate #446
Reaction score

We are hosting Christmas dinner again- ~14 people and we are doing Prime Rib. In years past we have always cooked in the oven and it always turns out great. I was thinking about doing it on the Trager this year but dont want to mess up a good thing and throw my wife into a tail spin by trying a new method. Anyone have any feedback? Use the oven, or the Trager? what kind of cooking time on the Trager? What pellets? How does it turn out??

Thanks,

Id be hard pressed to try something new. Especially on Christmas. Maybe a small one for just the immediate family another time. The oven shutoff method roasts it damn perfect with my spice blend.

With that said I tried a smoking leg of lamb at someone's recommendation. Rub it and cover it in pesto and mesquite smoke it to medium rare. Never had better.

ChevelleSB406

Reaction score

Thanks,

Prime rib at Christmas, always do it in the oven, and we love it. The only other thing we ever do is a leg of lamb, but that was at thanksgiving this year, sometimes the flip flop back and forth. The sides are still my favorite part to eat and least favorite part to cook. Mashed potatoes, roast potatoes (some in the beef juice even), yorkshire puddings, all the other vegetables, sausage wrapped in bacon and pastry, I can hardly wait. :thumbup:

DURAMAXYFZ

Reaction score

Thanks,
I just did two ribeye roast's (same thing bassically) on the Treager. rubbed it, put it on at 325 and had a ten probe in the smaller one. when it reached 130 I pulled it. Threw it on a hot skillet and seared the outside of it. Then let it rest. Perfectly pink all the way through it. Everyone said it was the best prime rib the ever had. I forgot to take pics.
They want me to do it again for X-Mas.

Gelcoater

Reaction score

Thanks,
Avoiding that tail spin means you need to do a test this weekend!:cool

Tpltrbl303

Reaction score
I do a prime rib every holiday, costly but worth it.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1418187354.308478.jpg

Old Texan

Honorary Warden #377 Emeritus - R.I.P.
Reaction score
We serve Prime Rib in the restaurant and cook it to perfection in our convection oven in about an hour and a half. I've done them numerous ways but never used a Traeger. That being said from my friends with Traegers, I wouldn't hesitate as I've tasted what I consider perfect brisket from the big T.

My SiL and daughter own a BBQ restaurant and he does PR's in his $20K industrial smoker. They're damned good but to me I like a bit less of the mesquite smoke flavor.

I believe if you Traeger, keep the smoke at a minimum and just monitor the rising temp, removing it 10 degrees before med rare temp of 130 F.....120 F is considered rare and the rib should gain to 130 F at rest. jump it to 125 F if your crew is more towards medium or even 130 F as many do. A lot depends on poundage.

In the convection we cook on high about 15-20 minutes to brown the outside then drop it to 325 F for a little over an hour depending on size. Most we get are 12-15 lbs. I'd maybe drop temp in the Traeger and go longer so allow 3 hours, but temp is the key. We use a salty pepper rub and press in lots of garlic cloves. Be sure and catch the juice as it's superior Au Jous for serving.

We're in hot debate between PR and steaking it out into 1.5" steaks on the grill over mesquite and charcoal @ 600 F......:bowdown:

Old Texan

Honorary Warden #377 Emeritus - R.I.P.
Reaction score
Anyone have a good Au Ju recipe?

Cut and Paste below of basically how I do mine.....Many call for fluor as a thickener but I like mine natural juicy as possible so rarely add any. I add an equal part of beef stock from carton or made from the paste type beef paste. I'm real light on the wine and also add a couple shakes of worcheshire. The scraped pieces from the pan give the taste you're looking for and also enough seasoning. Watch adding salt as you should have plenty from the drippings and pan or the beef paste if used.

Pour off all but 2 tablespoons of the fat (leaving the beef juices in the pan) from the roasting pan and discard the remaining fat (or reserve if making Yorkshire Pudding).

Place the roasting pan on two (2) burners on medium heat. Add the beef stock and stir and scrape the bottom of the pan to release any browned bits in the pan. Add red wine of your choice.

Bring mixture to a boil and cook until the stock is slightly reduced, about 5 minutes. Au jus is not thick like a typical sauce or gravy.

Season to taste with salt and pepper.

Transfer to a gravy boat or serve in small individual containers for each guest.

Use any left over Prime Rib and Au Jus for making French Dip Sandwiches for your family the next day. So good!

Havaduner

Never home on weekends
Reaction score
We'll be doing the oven method prime rib this year, (its tried and true) and I do the au jus pretty much the same as above. My wife covers just about everything on her plate with horseradish, (straight) anybody got anything good to cut it down with??

VoodooMedMan

Inmate #446
Reaction score
We'll be doing the oven method prime rib this year, (its tried and true) and I do the au jus pretty much the same as above. My wife covers just about everything on her plate with horseradish, (straight) anybody got anything good to cut it down with??

Creme freche and a little lemon maybe. Makes a nice horseradish cream. Otherwise known as awesome sauce. [emoji106]

530RL

Reaction score
Anyone have a good Au Ju recipe?

Cut and Paste below of basically how I do mine.....Many call for fluor as a thickener but I like mine natural juicy as possible so rarely add any. I add an equal part of beef stock from carton or made from the paste type beef paste. I'm real light on the wine and also add a couple shakes of worcheshire. The scraped pieces from the pan give the taste you're looking for and also enough seasoning. Watch adding salt as you should have plenty from the drippings and pan or the beef paste if used.

This is a good basic recipe that you can not go wrong with. If I am putting the rib in the oven, I add some garlic, onions and carrots to the bottom of the pan. Makes the Au Jus a little more flavorful for the family. I also use a separator for pouring to get the excess fat off. I like the flavor, but don't want that much fat in my Au Jus.

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score
Sour creme

VoodooMedMan

Inmate #446
Reaction score
I think it is kind of over rated, so I'll stick with a dallop of Daisy. :D

To each their own. I guess you've tried it. Good in a pinch but creme doesn't have the tang. Let's the horseradish come through. But if it's what you like then it's a okay.

Angler

Tritoon Racing
Reaction score
Where to buy prime quality ribeye roast? Or just use the choice cut?

NicPaus

Reaction score
Where to buy prime quality ribeye roast? Or just use the choice cut?

Ralphs is best price right now on sale for $6.88 a pound. Costco has the prime but it was $20 a LB and select was $15 a LB last time I was there before T-Day.

fmo24

Reaction score
Ralphs is best price right now on sale for $6.88 a pound. Costco has the prime but it was $20 a LB and select was $15 a LB last time I was there before T-Day.
This or check Stater Bros. They are usually least expensive.

VoodooMedMan

Inmate #446
Reaction score
This or check Stater Bros. They are usually least expensive.

This. On my way right now. they don't get anything certified. But if you're selective about it you might find a good piece that is just as good as choice.

NicPaus

Reaction score
Picked up a 20# from Ralph's last night.

Ryphraph

Reaction score
This. On my way right now. they don't get anything certified. But if you're selective about it you might find a good piece that is just as good as choice.

Bone in rib roast on sale at Stater Bro's for 5.77/lb. I picked up a nice 10.5lb, 5 bone roast that looks great. I am near the West Covina store on Azusa and their meat it always solid. They generally have 4 or more folks behind the counter so there is never really any wait. I am cooking it in my pit barrel cooker so not as worried about grade.

Ryph