WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Shopping for a prop

stupidbaker57

Reaction score
I was checking at a local marine propeller shop about getting a prop when I'm ready. They suggested that I go with a Michigan or Acme nibral prop. I wondered if the nibral prop can survive the 6000 rpms. I was told yes,,,,,but they sell nibral not SS. What is the best way to go?

Outdrive1

Outdrive1 Marine Sales https://www.outdrive1.com/
Reaction score
What set up? What motor, hp, boat, etc.?

AzGeo

Fair winds and following seas George.. Rest Easy..
Reaction score
run an OJ (Johnson), start with a 12" X 15 pitch (with cup) LH. You may end up cutting it down to an 11" diameter for better top end, but that is where I would start. Check Glenwood Marine ....

stupidbaker57

Reaction score
The boat is a rayson craft flatty with a 383 chrysler 450 hp with 15 gears with a 12 degree angle. I already have a 12/15 bronze on it that the marine shop will rework as a base line. From there I can buy a new prop, buy was wondering about the nibral. I've heard a lot of these boats run SS props.

AzGeo

Fair winds and following seas George.. Rest Easy..
Reaction score
Once again, with a 12 degree shaft angle, don't waste good money on a steel or stainless prop. I have never seen any 'nibral' props that had any good performance design to them. All that I have seen were "flat/no rake, thick blades, small rounded ears, non-agressive designs". With the 12 degree shaft angle, a 'nibral' is going to 'bounce and bounce' or 'lift the tail and drive the nose in', that's pretty much what you will find out with those old designs. (methods)

franger

Reaction score
I have a left hand 11-1/8" X 15 Stellings for a 1" shaft for sale

Harold Kindsvater who originally made these props for Jack Davison (owner of Sanger boats) just re worked it last year. Harold X-ray'd it for cracks before he worked on it, he said it is in perfect condition.

I ran it on my runner bottom one time and found out Harold was right....... I would need more pitch than a 15 so I bought a 16 pitch and now this one's for sale.

I paid $100 extra for this one when I bought my boat, Harold charged me $150 and shipping to and back cost me $30, I'm into this prop for $280 ..... I'd like to recoup what I have in it but am open to offers.....

Feel free to email me at [email protected] as I don't check this site very often

EDIT ... Call Harold Kindsvater if you want sound prop advice regarding what would be a good prop for your application, he built Stellings prop for years and owned Menkens Propellers even longer. Getting advice from people who don't make these kinds of props is like taking advice from some guy sitting next to you in a jail cell LOL .... call Harold 559-299-2328 Ask him if the prop he re worked for David in Alaska would be a good prop for your boat .... :thumbsup

Attachments

• SANY0003.jpg
    SANY0003.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 101
  • SANY0010.jpg
    SANY0010.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 97
Last edited: