WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

396 BBC street engine

obnoxious001

Engine building character
Reaction score
I built this pump gas 396 cubic inch engine for my 71 Vega wagon, which I sold without the engine. It wasn't meant to be a "race" engine, never took it to the track, ran it up to 4500 RPM one time in my neighborhood in 2nd gear. Total miles are honestly about 30 I would say, once to Puddingstone (9 miles round trip), and a few "laps" around the neighborhood testing.

Nothing real trick in it,, cast crank, 2 bolt main, cast pistons, Crane flat tappet hydraulic cam, but I did assemble it myself, so I am confident that it's right. Block is 1967 vintage if I recall, and heads are from 1969 I think. Intake manifold was brand new Professional Products polished oval port. Long block only,, intake to pan. Not included at this price are headers, valve covers, carb and air cleaner, MSD distributor or water pump.

Long block only, manifold to pan,Price reduced $2000 OBO, needs to go before I have to move it.

Dscn1739.jpg

Last edited:

420HOA

FIRM MEMBER
Reaction score
I built this pump gas 396 cubic inch engine for my 71 Vega wagon, which I sold without the engine. It wasn't meant to be a "race" engine, never took it to the track, ran it up to 4500 RPM one time in my neighborhood in 2nd gear. Total miles are honestly about 30 I would say, once to Puddingstone (9 miles round trip), and a few "laps" around the neighborhood testing.

Nothing real trick in it,, cast crank, 2 bolt main, cast pistons, Crane flat tappet hydraulic cam, but I did assemble it myself, so I am confident that it's right. Block is 1967 vintage if I recall, and heads are from 1969 I think. Intake manifold was brand new Professional Products polished oval port. Long block only,, intake to pan. Not included at this price are headers, valve covers, carb and air cleaner, MSD distributor or water pump.

Long block only, $2500

Dscn1739.jpg

Whats the date code on the block ?
I need the correct date code for 138 project.

RSoscia

Reaction score

Long block only, $2500

Dscn1739.jpg

Is the motor still for sale. You must live close to me if you tested it around pudding stone. I live in chino. Robert

wrighton

Reaction score
Is the motor still for sale. You must live close to me if you tested it around pudding stone. I live in chino. Robert

He is in Glendora. I cant believe this has not sold,if I was closer I would of bought it for a project.

obnoxious001

Reaction score

He is in Glendora. I cant believe this has not sold,if I was closer I would of bought it for a project.

It's a good street engine, and a great price compared to having me build one, considering that it's honestly not even broken in. I think the 215 heads were run on 396 and 427 Vette engines if I am not completely wrong, and are selling for around $600-700 or so.

varmit86

Reaction score
Barry,
How much did you sell your vega for? Looked like a bad ass car wish I would have seen it in person.
Could you send me what pics you have of it? What is the new owner doing with it?
Take care
Mark

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2

obnoxious001

Reaction score
Barry,
How much did you sell your vega for? Looked like a bad ass car wish I would have seen it in person.
Could you send me what pics you have of it? What is the new owner doing with it?
Take care
Mark

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2

The guy that bought it had been around the car 25 years ago when one of his friends owned it. He had it running at Irwindale within the month, with a 565 cubic inch, 1000 HP big block. They called me and I went out when he went for his licensing passes. Chassis adjustments, then a starter motor rebuild in the pits, and a sprinkling of rain kept him from getting his final pass in for the license that night, but the car was plenty fast.

spotondl

In a Purple Haze
Reaction score
Hey Barry:

Is this engine anywhere close to being able to install in a mild v-drive? Clearances too tight?

obnoxious001

Reaction score
Hey Barry:

Is this engine anywhere close to being able to install in a mild v-drive? Clearances too tight?

I guess it depends on your definition of "mild". Obviously it would need a V drive pan and water pump. It would probably be fine if it was not expected to rev real high?

spotondl

In a Purple Haze
Reaction score
I guess it depends on your definition of "mild". Obviously it would need a V drive pan and water pump. It would probably be fine if it was not expected to rev real high?

What would you consider red line on this 396? What kind of dampener? Rear cam journal grooved? Bore & crank? I thought all 396's had steel cranks...

My flatty had an oval port, 2 bolt 396 with log headers & risers and a powerglide in it. I have all the peripherals to make it work if the numbers work, specifically cam numbers (reversion) & oil clearances (temps & pressure).

Last edited:

obnoxious001

Reaction score
What would you consider red line on this 396? What kind of dampener? Rear cam journal grooved? Bore & crank? I thought all 396's had steel cranks...

My flatty had an oval port, 2 bolt 396 with log headers & risers and a powerglide in it. I have all the peripherals to make it work if the numbers work, specifically cam numbers (reversion) & oil clearances (temps & pressure).

There were a number of different cast 396/402 cranks. I believe the 427's were the ones that all had steel cranks. It's got a factory damper, and the 65-66 blocks were the ones that required the grooved cam, this block takes a conventional MK IV cam. Bore is .030" over,, so 4.125" (same as factory 402).

Cam is a Crane 270 hydraulic, honestly don't recall recording bearing clearances but know they are adequate, and oil pressure was fine in the car, even with just "street" oil. I put the car together around 6 years ago or so, never got to run it hard, made one pass to 4500 rpm in 2nd gear down a short 25mph street around the corner from my house. No problem to put it on a stand and drop pan if you are buying it.

obnoxious001

Reaction score
Priced reduced to $2000, don't want to have to move it with me.

obnoxious001

Reaction score
Got a CL "buyer" who had me put the engine up on a stand, then was going to come back and have me drop the pan for inspection, but he missed his appointment. At this point I would sell at a reduced price to a board member just so I can tell this guy he missed it if he calls back.

obnoxious001

Reaction score
OK, the one guy disappeared, this engine still available, make me an offer.