WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Lake Powell: Camping at Lone Rock??

HAVASUSUN

Reaction score
Fellow boaters....

I have read through every thread on here with regards to Lake Powell.... It is the mecca of boaters paradise without a doubt. For my birthday in September I have a houseboat reserved and am super stocked about it. Until then.... The wife and I were talking last night about what to do for 4th of July and have decided to spend our 4 days off camping at Lone Rock beach at Powell to explore the lake and look for spots to houseboat later in the summer. We have a small 26' camper so we were thinking about pulling it up to Powell hoping we can find a spot at Lone Rock. Does anyone have any experience camping there or have any advice??? Thanks in advance!

Enen

Reaction score
The best advice I can give you is... Don't piss directly into the wind.

allrightnow

Reaction score
We camped at Powell last year and found Wayneswords.com very informative. Wayne will answer any question you have regarding Powell and tell you all the best houseboat coves.

Vegaskeith

Reaction score
Soft sand! Bring a tow strap even if you have 4 wheel drive. As stated be prepared for wind.

Boat 405

Reaction score
It is basically beach camping, no specific spots. Just find a place you like and park it. Be careful of soft sand and getting stuck.

Gramps

Older Member
Reaction score
Sometimes Lone Rock can be a zoo for camping. It's wide open beach with no wind protection. 4th of July..............no thanks too crowded. I would stay at the campground at Wheaweep (sp?) and see if you can get a slip to keep the boat in.

HAVASUSUN

Reaction score
Lake Oct 2011 007.jpg Lake Oct 2011 002.jpg
It is basically beach camping, no specific spots. Just find a place you like and park it. Be careful of soft sand and getting stuck.

I am going to miss not having my Deuce up there! I bought it just so I could get my camper and boat down to the water and not worry about getting stuck! It is still in New Mexico at the lake we went to when we lived there.

Last edited:

Motor Boater

Reaction score
Lone rock for the 4th of July will be a complete shit show. I'm talking drunks, loud music, trucks and dirt bikes all nights, fireworks getting shot into your camp etc. U couldn't pay me to camp there. Go find a little spot in warm creek with the boat and forget the camper.

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
Just throwing it out there, but Wahweep/Stateline has a bitchin full hookup RV campground.... Stayed there with DaveH one year, badass. And the Ramp is only a stones throw from your RV. I've never been to lone rock, but i believe it's a little further north/west of wahweep, up that basin of the lake?

Gramps

Older Member
Reaction score
The soft sand is a bitch, easy to get stuck....I know.

Boat 405

Reaction score
Just throwing it out there, but Wahweep/Stateline has a bitchin full hookup RV campground.... Stayed there with DaveH one year, badass. And the Ramp is only a stones throw from your RV. I've never been to lone rock, but i believe it's a little further north/west of wahweep, up that basin of the lake?

They do, it is a really nice one with full hookups. I'd go there if I could find someone to tow my boat/toyhauler. While I tow the other.... LOL

U4ia

Reaction score
For those driving to Page on the route through Flagstaff, be advised that there is a detour due to a washed out road. There is a 1/4 mile section of rough unpaved road on the way. Here is a link that shows the way in pictures. If you are going up to Powell, Wayne's Words is your friend. ;):thumbsup

http://wayneswords.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&Itemid=27&func=view&catid=5&id=59142

Here is a link to current Lone Rock camping and beach info:

http://wayneswords.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&Itemid=27&func=view&catid=5&id=59001

Last edited:

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
They do, it is a really nice one with full hookups. I'd go there if I could find someone to tow my boat/toyhauler. While I tow the other.... LOL

How hard can it be to bribe someone with a lake powell trip? :p :thumbsup

Tommy Gun Images

Media Lackey
Staff member
Reaction score

Racey is on point with this... As stated before, Lone Stone will be a mad house

HAVASUSUN

Reaction score
Lone rock for the 4th of July will be a complete shit show. I'm talking drunks, loud music, trucks and dirt bikes all nights, fireworks getting shot into your camp etc. U couldn't pay me to camp there. Go find a little spot in warm creek with the boat and forget the camper.

That is not our preferred scene either. I want to find a way to be on the water and Powell is on the top of the list. I was hoping Powell might be a little more relaxed than other lakes. I will look onto the camp ground option.

Waterheater

Reaction score
We've been going out there the last couple of years and Lone Rock has been a lot more mellow than the past. Disclaimer - we haven't been on the 4th, but on Memorial and Labor Day it hasn't been to packed. We will be there is year for the 4th, so we see if there is any difference. One thing with the water being low there is now a TON of beach. So it should be to hard to find a nice little spot. As said in other posts, the wind blows there a lot, and your out in the open with no protection.

I'd leave the camper at home and get a room at Wahweap and keep your boat in a slip. We've done that a bunch and always had a blast.

Mardonzi

Pull!! Bnag!! Loss!!
Reaction score
Park Service has really come down hard on the partying on Lone Rock Beach.. Quiet hours are 10 P.M. to 6 A.M. and they enforce it.. Big Time.

BajaMike

Reaction score
I wouldn't camp out....I'd get a room at Wahweep or in Page and take the boat out every day. I've been in horrible storms there (especially afternoons and nights), and even in a houseboat it was sandy and windy and scary. I'd take day trips and I would never leave the water during the day.

HAVASUSUN

Reaction score

I checked out the campground. They are completely booked for that weekend. I looked on the lakes website to see what the rules are about not being in your camp every day and could not find anything. We are thinking about taking the camper up on saturday or sunday the weekend before the 4th of July week to get a good spot. We would be back on Wednesday night and stay through sunday. Anyone ever do this before?

tkrrox

Reaction score
camping is my favorite part of powell...last year we went to mead instead and it drove me insane, carrying coolers chairs and chit back and forth...plus eating out every meal got real old for me...i love lone rock been going since i was an ankle bitter.

HAVASUSUN

Reaction score
We've been going out there the last couple of years and Lone Rock has been a lot more mellow than the past. Disclaimer - we haven't been on the 4th, but on Memorial and Labor Day it hasn't been to packed. We will be there is year for the 4th, so we see if there is any difference. One thing with the water being low there is now a TON of beach. So it should be to hard to find a nice little spot. As said in other posts, the wind blows there a lot, and your out in the open with no protection.

I'd leave the camper at home and get a room at Wahweap and keep your boat in a slip. We've done that a bunch and always had a blast.

Do you usually slip your boat when you camp on the beach? We are pretty familiar with camping on a sandy beach with wind and storms rolling through in the afternoon or at night. We are from NM, that is a normal trip for us.

tkrrox

Reaction score
you definitely want a 4wd, we launch right at our camp on the beach...
if there is one or two campers you shouldn't have a problem with camping...now we went 2yrs ago and the problem we had was all the stickers in the sand...hopefully they aren't as bad these days. they really were a PITA