WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Quick And Easy Detailing Trick

Chili Palmer

Master of My Domian
Reaction score
I've given up on liquid tire dressing as I hate spraying it on and wiping it to spread it evenly and most of it ends up on the rag or applicator and it turns all black and everything it touches. I've gone to using a lid from a 32 gallon Rubbermaid plastic trash can with a 2?" hole drilled into the center to hold it and an aerosol tire dressing like Turtle Wax Ultra Shine Tire Dressing. You spray this on and let it sit for an hour and you're good to go. If you spray it on too heavy and don't let it dry it'll end up all over the side of your vehicle. I recently found out by accident that this stuff works great in the fender liners that after awhile don't have that new look, especially on trucks that have all that space between the tire and the fender.
IMG_1612.jpg

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I read this a couple times and still any figure out the process.. What are you doing with the trash can lid?

Outdrive1

Outdrive1 Marine Sales https://www.outdrive1.com/
Reaction score
I read this a couple times and still any figure out the process.. What are you doing with the trash can lid?

He's basically "masking" off the rim by putting the lid over the rim and then spraying on an aerosol tire dressing on the tire.

Enen

Reaction score
Are you trying to contain the spray w the trash can lid?

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
I'm guessing the hole is so you can grab the lid easier????
.Bumper sure shows the brilliance of the photographer though:thumbsup:p

TBulger

Reaction score
I've read about guys like you Chili, most of the times they're multi millionaires though. :D

HavasuHank

"B" team gardener
Reaction score
I have tried a ton of different sprays and methods. I am actually detailing my truck today. Taking a break right now to have some lunch.

I used to use the spray on foam, but got tired of it running down onto the rim.

What I have been doing lately is using Lucas tire spray or whatever the fuck it is called.

I'll spray it onto a terry cloth towel and rub it onto the tire. Done.

Chili Palmer

Master of My Domian
Reaction score
For those who can't figure this out. The trash can lid fits over 20" wheels, this allows you to spray dressing on your tires without getting any overspray on your freshly cleaned wheels. The hole on the middle is so you have a place to hold the lid.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
For those who can't figure this out. The trash can lid fits over 20" wheels, this allows you to spray dressing on your tires without getting any overspray on your freshly cleaned wheels. The hole on the middle is so you have a place to hold the lid.

Just a dumb question.. Why clean the wheels first? Why not spray he tired then clean and detail out the wheels?

cakemoto

Reaction score
thats how a professional does it Dave...and by the way i use nothing but no touch.I have used that stuff on 6 million dollar cars.

djunkie

Broke mo fo
Reaction score
Just a dumb question.. Why clean the wheels first? Why not spray he tired then clean and detail out the wheels?

Lol. Exactly. I spray the tire dressing first then hits wheels afterwards. Seems to work fine for me and I didn't have to ruin a perfectly good trash can lid. :D

Flyinbowtie

Reaction score
I like the look of clean and black tires, but not the shiny plastic look.
I've run into a couple of times where I've taken tires in to get them pro rated for weather checking, and the first question they ask, even before going out to look at the tire is always, "do you put any tire dressing on them?"
"Nope, just scrub them and then keep them covered with covers from Camping World"
Apparently the manufacturers won't warranty a tire if tire shine is one them.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
Lol. Exactly. I spray the tire dressing first then hits wheels afterwards. Seems to work fine for me and I didn't have to ruin a perfectly good trash can lid. :D

The hole was right in the middle of the handle. :)

cakemoto

Reaction score
6 million dollar cars? Sweet jesus

yes Dave...I have used it at pebble beach,Porsche parade,numerous barret jackson cars,hershey,ect.....and it works for the white glove Porsche freaks!

DrHW

Reaction score
I like the look of clean and black tires, but not the shiny plastic look.
I've run into a couple of times where I've taken tires in to get them pro rated for weather checking, and the first question they ask, even before going out to look at the tire is always, "do you put any tire dressing on them?"
"Nope, just scrub them and then keep them covered with covers from Camping World"
Apparently the manufacturers won't warranty a tire if tire shine is one them.

Any excuse not to cover a warranty policy on a tire. Here is a tried and proven technique. Wash Vehicle which includes scrubbing the Tires. Spray Tire with Shiny stuff, (I have tried them all and never really noticed a single difference other than some last a little longer and seem are kind of streaky) then clean the wheel. When detailing a Car or Truck the shiny look from top to bottom is about as good as it gets along with shiny shoes and a fresh haircut. :D

Last edited: