was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
How you holding up Dave?

Are you out in the garage tonight??

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Had a minor setback.. Had a cigarette this afternoon.. And then one after dinner a few hours later. After that haven't smoked though. Just finished watching some movies and heading out to the garage to keep working on the boat.

I can tell you the cravings were nuts today.. I thought I was gonna lose my shit if I didn't have that first smoke.. Incoukd a probably stuck it out without the second one but I figured screw it I already had one.. What's one more today.

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
Whatever it takes.

I cheated a couple times right at first too.

Now when I think I want one and bum one, it tastes like shit.

Where did the 2 cigs come from??

BeerMaker

"B" Team Token Black Guy
Reaction score
I gotta tell ya, our buddy Dave seemed pretty on edge tonight. Chewing the shit out that gum you had sir. I wish you the best of luck. Keep after it bud. Ive several buddies struggle through quitting and it doesn't look fun.

jayboat

naplesimage.com
Reaction score
Good luck with the fight Dave.
You know you need to do it.

Had a friend croak last Sept from COPD... 3 pack per day habit.

He was 58. :thumbsdown

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
Here is a graphic video of a comparison between a diseased set of lungs and a healthy set of lungs.

DO NOT WATCH THIS if you just ate, it is fucking gross.
But I guarantee that if you watch this when craving a cig, you will not crave it anymore.

Last edited by a moderator:

J.P.

Reaction score
Maybe you need to try Vap smoking. My brother is 55 and had been smoking since he was 12, Wintsons the whole time. Now he Vaps some vanilla flavor. Saves a ton of money.

RiverDiva

"Team RDP"
Reaction score
Whatever it takes.

I cheated a couple times right at first too.

Now when I think I want one and bum one, it tastes like shit.

Where did the 2 cigs come from??

I had to go buy a pack. It wasn't really an option...lol. He had me keep them and hide them. He asked for the 2nd one and I said no then he went until he was getting mad at me before I gave that to him. Last night he stopped at the x to say hi to everyone then got some nachos and came home then went to bed. So just the 2 yesterday.

It's a little different at the Johnson household right now but we are proud of him for actually making an effort to quit and doing everything we can to be supportive. He's stocked on gums, candies, nuts and seeds.

My Dad quit several years ago after ending up in ICU in Alaska with COPD. He continues to live without cigarettes. My mom has been smoking since she was a kid, has quit a million times and is still talking about trying.

I know it's a personal decision to stop. I hope he makes the change and never looks back. For his own sake and ours. We want to keep him around forever!

Singleton

Reaction score
Wishing you he best of luck Dave and Stacy as Dave tries to stop.

Dave - everyone is pulling for you. You can do this!

Bobby V

Havasu1986
Reaction score
Good luck with the fight Dave.
You know you need to do it.

Had a friend croak last Sept from COPD... 3 pack per day habit.

He was 58. :thumbsdown
My bosses last cigarette was May of 2013. He was feeling bad and asked me to take him to the hospital. On the way he was getting worse. I stopped at the nearest fire station. He had a heart attack in the ambulance. Was in the hospital for 2 weeks and kicked his 30 year habit. He is 46. Can't really tell except for the hole in his throat. :(

Good luck Dave.

Mandelon

Coffee makes me poop.
Reaction score
Keep at it Dave... your kids are worth it.

Sometimes just lighting up is all you need. Light up, one puff, then stub it out.....

Advantage 1

Reaction score
Here is a graphic video of a comparison between a diseased set of lungs and a healthy set of lungs.

DO NOT WATCH THIS if you just ate, it is fucking gross.
But I guarantee that if you watch this when craving a cig, you will not crave it anymore.

Wow. Hard to tell what that nasty grey piece of meat was. What a difference.

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score
I hope Dave does it this time. We've been having River Dave Insanity Watch on an annual basis for a while now.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I gotta tell ya, our buddy Dave seemed pretty on edge tonight. Chewing the shit out that gum you had sir. I wish you the best of luck. Keep after it bud. Ive several buddies struggle through quitting and it doesn't look fun.

I didn't know my little arm patch had fallen off earlier that night. I was talking to Shintooo and he asked if I was using anything and I went to show him the patch and no patch.. Lol.

I still haven't put one back on..

V3NMOUS

Reaction score
Good luck on quitting Dave! I had stopped for 17 days when I got diagnosed with ESRD. I figured with all of the health problems I already have, my prognosis for a long life isn't exactly optimal.
I said fuck it, I'm gonna enjoy the little time I have left. Smoking is the only vice I have left.

DickieB

Reaction score
I got real hammered at an Emmy Lou Harris concert in 1983. I was a pack a day smoker. That night I must've drank a gallon of Jack D and smoked about 200cigaretts. Next morning, woke up feeling like real shit. Started noticing how bad my clothes smelled and my breath smelled.........If you think real hard about how gross it really is and how bad you, your breath, your clothes and everything else stinks, it's easy to walk away. I haven't smoked since 1983 and never looked back. Think about it Dave, it really works with a little will power.;)

HOOTER SLED-

Supercharged MOTORBOAT!!!
Reaction score
I didn't know my little arm patch had fallen off earlier that night. I was talking to Shintooo and he asked if I was using anything and I went to show him the patch and no patch.. Lol.

I still haven't put one back on..

Good thing you aren't the one who has to use a patch to rely on birth control or you'd be on kid number 8 right now. Hang in there man. :D

rush1

Reaction score
Had a minor setback.. Had a cigarette this afternoon.. And then one after dinner a few hours later. After that haven't smoked though. Just finished watching some movies and heading out to the garage to keep working on the boat.

I can tell you the cravings were nuts today.. I thought I was gonna lose my shit if I didn't have that first smoke.. Incoukd a probably stuck it out without the second one but I figured screw it I already had one.. What's one more today.
seriously try an e cigarette and if anyone gives you shit about the e cigarettes tell them to kiss your ass that's originally what they were made for, they worked for me but if you have one cigarette it will lead to two then three, fuck that you quit you quit I still have a pack of cigarettes with one cig in it but I refuse to smoke it (besides it would taste like shit now )

Jefftowz

Formerly Old School Ultra
Reaction score
I remember years ago when my Dad quite he walked around with a tootsie pop in his mouth. Keep it up.

BAS

Reaction score
You can do this... Just keep your eye on the prize. One day at a time.

tunnel vision

Reaction score
Dave, you don't know me from Adam, and I wish you the best, it's not easy.

I stopped many a time with no success. I started when I was 12, I'm now 57 and have two young children like you. My 12 year old asked me to stop on July 1.

I'll tell you right now it has not been easy... But when your son grabs you and is crying and begging you to stop, something changes.

I'm doing the chantix thing but I'm on my last pills.

To keep my mouth busy, I carry tooth picks as my cigs.

It's not the same but has been working.

Again I hope the best for you and stopping for your little ones.

Dan

GMD

Reaction score
Dave, my wife has been smoking for over thirty years and she finally stopped about six months ago after several failed attempts. Her doctor prescribed Chantix and she has not smoked since. After about two weeks of taking it she said the urge was almost gone. The stuff is amazing.
Only thing was she was a crazy woman for a few weeks, but that was ok since I knew it was temporary and in the end, my wife will be around a lot longer.
Good luck, I know it's a struggle.

t&y

t&y
Reaction score
Dave, you're a smart guy so I'm going to assume you understand the process of addiction and how it is both physiological and psychological. The physiological stuff you're just going to have to fight through, or supplement those needs with patch's, etc... The psychological element of the addiction you can attack a different way based off the Freudian theory of "Classical Conditioning". If you're brave enough...:D Everytime you get that urge to pick up a Cigarette, do one "Air Squat" or Un-weighted Squat (Ask Tom for the proper technique if he's around). I wouldn't suggest doing multiple squats everytime you get the urge right off the bat, you can work up to that. Adding or associating that phyiscal act with your psycological urge to smoke will help eliviate those urges on the psychological side of the addiction. You are basically just replacing the physical act of picking up that ciagarette with the exercise. Change what the urge means to your body. I've done the same thing to wheen myself off of Monster Energy drinks with pushups or squats. May sound crazy, but it helps. Worse case scenario is it's doesn't help at all with the addiction, but you get stronger legs and core muscles so you can eventually get up on the water ski and put all the haters to rest:D

milkmoney

Reaction score
Dave, you're a smart guy so I'm going to assume you understand the process of addiction and how it is both physiological and psychological. The physiological stuff you're just going to have to fight through, or supplement those needs with patch's, etc... The psychological element of the addiction you can attack a different way based off the Freudian theory of "Classical Conditioning". If you're brave enough...:D Everytime you get that urge to pick up a Cigarette, do one "Air Squat" or Un-weighted Squat (Ask Tom for the proper technique if he's around). I wouldn't suggest doing multiple squats everytime you get the urge right off the bat, you can work up to that. Adding or associating that phyiscal act with your psycological urge to smoke will help eliviate those urges on the psychological side of the addiction. You are basically just replacing the physical act of picking up that ciagarette with the exercise. Change what the urge means to your body. I've done the same thing to wheen myself off of Monster Energy drinks with pushups or squats. May sound crazy, but it helps. Worse case scenario is it's doesn't help at all with the addiction, but you get stronger legs and core muscles so you can eventually get up on the water ski and put all the haters to rest:D

Lol.

Singleton

Reaction score

Hate to say it, but that would drive Dave back to cigs. Dave and exercise don't mix well.

Reactions: TBI

Reaction score

Lol you are kidding right. Dave gets tired hearing the word push up. You actually think he's going purse being active and working out?

boatnam2

Reaction score
Keep the patch on dave, i know it seems as though it isn't doing anything but it is loading your body up with nicotine. I can have my GF give you a call and give you a 2 hour seminar on it if you want, she sells the stuff and it pretty versed on in the in and outs of product. good luck give up the good work.

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
I see it just like my alcohol addiction. Quitting isn't easy and the urge will come and go w different triggers. What do I know though I've been brain washed by the ca DUI program [emoji4]

TCHB

Reaction score
Hang in there Dave. This is a big deal and will make your life much better.

Sharp Shooter

The "anti-yuppie"
Reaction score
Lol you are kidding right. Dave gets tired hearing the word push up. You actually think he's going purse being active and working out?

Dave's a little soft in the intestinal fortitude category. :D

rush1

Reaction score
One thing you guys have to realize is when Dave's working (I know Dave work )he uses a cigarettes as part of his thinking process I'll bet you every time he stops working and is trying to figure out how to do it the first thing he does is have a smoke and stare at what he's working on . And that's a hard thing to get over.

Mini Kat

Hammer Makin' Payments
Reaction score
This is all i'm going you say Dave..:thumbup::thumbup:
[video=youtube_https;qztuEucrNBc]https://youtu.be/qztuEucrNBc[/video]

Reactions: t&y

stephenkatsea

Reaction score
Ray Charles said during periods of his life he was addicted to Heroin, Alcohol and Cigarettes. He said the toughest habit for him to beat was smoking. Not smoking doesn't mean just 1 or 2 on the tough days. That's like a "virgin" screwing just a couple times a week.

Keep at it Dave. You can do it.

Sharp Shooter

The "anti-yuppie"
Reaction score
Day 5 Dave watch. :D

[video=youtube;N7F_46kbSKU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7F_46kbSKU[/video]

Patyacht

Reaction score
Just got off the phone with a guy that is recovering from Prostate and Throat cancer. You always think it won't hit you UNTIL it does. Hang in there Dave. You can do it but you MUST WANT TO DO IT!:thumbup:

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
Everytime you get that urge to pick up a Cigarette, do one "Air Squat" or Un-weighted Squat (Ask Tom for the proper technique if he's around). I wouldn't suggest doing multiple squats everytime you get the urge right off the bat, you can work up to that. Adding or associating that phyiscal act with your psycological urge to smoke will help eliviate those urges on the psychological side of the addiction. You are basically just replacing the physical act of picking up that ciagarette with the exercise. Change what the urge means to your body.

This what Dave's legs would look like if he replaced cigarettes with squats LOL

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1437331476.908389.jpg

hungrybb

Reaction score
Here's a moral question for you guys. Would you rather have your kids smoke or cheat?

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score

That is actually what I was doing the last couple days but with push ups..

So how's it going tonight Dave?

Last night.. Not so good.

Million of people smoke RD,you will quit when necessary or you will live to 100 smoking cigarettes.Don't worry about it if you have started again,you will know when to quit for good.It's a crapshoot,some win,some lose big time.

That's more or less how I have always felt about it.. But 100% of them do get winded easily.

Ray Charles said during periods of his life he was addicted to Heroin, Alcohol and Cigarettes. He said the toughest habit for him to beat was smoking. Not smoking doesn't mean just 1 or 2 on the tough days. That's like a "virgin" screwing just a couple times a week.

Keep at it Dave. You can do it.

I have read it's harder then heroin. I don't know if I believe that or not.. I can tell you that I go a period of time and literally start acting like a tweaker.

Here's a moral question for you guys. Would you rather have your kids smoke or cheat?

Weird question..

So for the update. Yesterday was not so good. I had one or two all day and was feeling pretty good about everything.. Then I went over to Justin's house to see everyone. Proceeded to get wasted and take drags off Andrews smokes before caving and having another two whole cigarettes. Then we got home and I said fuck it I am taking s break from this quitting thing tonight and and another two or three.

I just got out of bed.. I have a soar throat (which is odd for only smoking 8 smokes total when I used to go through a pack to a pack and a half a day). I feel like shit because of the hang over and I can already feel that weight on my chest again.

Pretty sure I won't be smoking today.

blacksockdown

Banned
Reaction score
That is actually what I was doing the last couple days but with push ups..

Last night.. Not so good.

That's more or less how I have always felt about it.. But 100% of them do get winded easily.

I have read it's harder then heroin. I don't know if I believe that or not.. I can tell you that I go a period of time and literally start acting like a tweaker.

Weird question..

So for the update. Yesterday was not so good. I had one or two all day and was feeling pretty good about everything.. Then I went over to Justin's house to see everyone. Proceeded to get wasted and take drags off Andrews smokes before caving and having another two whole cigarettes. Then we got home and I said fuck it I am taking s break from this quitting thing tonight and and another two or three.

I just got out of bed.. I have a soar throat (which is odd for only smoking 8 smokes total when I used to go through a pack to a pack and a half a day). I feel like shit because of the hang over and I can already feel that weight on my chest again.

Pretty sure I won't be smoking today.

Dont know what to tell u.I read a LOT more positives than negatives in this post.There are gonna be hiccups.wgas U on the right track.JUST CUTTING DOWN IS HUGE! Now go hug lovely wifey/kids and think how they mean to u.How u never want them see u go early.Quit beatin yosef up.