WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Why are you posting here ?

Taboma

Reaction score
When I read in this section, I do so not to join in the cheering section of one side or the other, but hoping to learn.

I'll be the first to admit, even though I'm older than most, but certainly not all on here, I've never really followed politics, nor did my parents.
When I take 'Are you Right or Left' tests, I end up just slightly right of center and I've always voted that way.

I will also share that my wife and I didn't vote for Trump because we liked him, not even close, but because policy aside, we find Hillary to be a disgusting creature.

So we're in a position of wanting to give him, at least for now, the benefit of the doubt.

Reading this section for the past few years, it's become rather obvious that a few are motivated in the hopes of educating and sharing their views in a manner that might cause somebody to reconsider their position, or validate it. Those of course for readers such as myself, are the posts I will read in hopes of gaining reliable knowledge.

Most others are venting, crowing or rock throwing. If the other side pops their head up, do your best to take it off either surgically, intimidation, or brute force. Whatever makes you feel better, it's an outlet, I understand.

Each side doing the same thing and each side accusing the other of doing it while loudly proclaiming their own innocence. :box:

For many they're just celebrating their victory, so every post feels like a pep rally, posting and anxiously awaiting their brethren to join in the chanting. Nothing like a crowd to validate your position and get keep the energy flowing :beer

I'm always puzzled by Grandpa Mac, he seems intelligent enough to educate, but never offers a useful perspective, only outdated links. :headscratch:

Of course we can't leave out Grads, I haven't a clue what the fuck he's trying to accomplish other than to drop piles of shit hoping to stink up the place :thumbsdown

Quite the opposite, we've got Regor, I dig his stuff, occasionally educating, but he always cracks me the fuck up :thumbsup

Anyway, regardless why you post in here, thanks to some for the show and thanks to others for sharing some insight and education ---

Carry On !! :thumbsup:thumbsup

500bbc

Reaction score
When I read in this section, I do so not to join in the cheering section of one side or the other, but hoping to learn.

I'll be the first to admit, even though I'm older than most, but certainly not all on here, I've never really followed politics, nor did my parents.
When I take 'Are you Right or Left' tests, I end up just slightly right of center and I've always voted that way.

I will also share that my wife and I didn't vote for Trump because we liked him, not even close, but because policy aside, we find Hillary to be a disgusting creature.

So we're in a position of wanting to give him, at least for now, the benefit of the doubt.

Reading this section for the past few years, it's become rather obvious that a few are motivated in the hopes of educating and sharing their views in a manner that might cause somebody to reconsider their position, or validate it. Those of course for readers such as myself, are the posts I will read in hopes of gaining reliable knowledge.
Most others are venting, crowing or rock throwing. If the other side pops their head up, do your best to take it off either surgically, intimidation, or brute force. Whatever makes you feel better, it's an outlet, I understand.

Each side doing the same thing and each side accusing the other of doing it while loudly proclaiming their own innocence. :box:

For many they're just celebrating their victory, so every post feels like a pep rally, posting and anxiously awaiting their brethren to join in the chanting. Nothing like a crowd to validate your position and get keep the energy flowing :beer

I'm always puzzled by Grandpa Mac, he seems intelligent enough to educate, but never offers a useful perspective, only outdated links. :headscratch:

Of course we can't leave out Grads, I haven't a clue what the fuck he's trying to accomplish other than to drop piles of shit hoping to stink up the place :thumbsdown

Quite the opposite, we've got Regor, I dig his stuff, occasionally educating, but he always cracks me the fuck up :thumbsup

Anyway, regardless why you post in here, thanks to some for the show and thanks to others for sharing some insight and education ---

In all the years of wallowing in the swamps of political forums I've seen but one mind changed, many positions strengthened through education but only one reversed.

Now I just revel in ridiculing the simpletons.:D

Taboma

Reaction score
In all the years of wallowing in the swamps of political forums I've seen but one mind changed, many positions strengthened through education but only one reversed.

Now I just revel in ridiculing the simpletons.:D

Yes I get it, but don't discount the many lurkers or those who for various reasons (Intimidation perhaps ?) will read, but not participate.

So even though you swing a mighty bat, you still post some interesting material, one must however give consideration to the source :yikes

GRADS

Phishing license is paid up to date
Reaction score
Sorry man, 2 paragraph rule. Post was way too long to read.

Doc

2022 32 Doug Wright
Reaction score
Yes I get it, but don't discount the many lurkers or those who for various reasons (Intimidation perhaps ?) will read, but not participate.

So even though you swing a mighty bat, you still post some interesting material, one must however give consideration to the source :yikes

I lurk for the most part and have posted a few times in this section. I don't post a whole lot not because of intimidation but like 500bbc said everyone has their mindset and it isn't going to change. This forum is always a game of defense. Prior to trump the 5 or so only dems were defending Obama or Hrc when threads were started, well now it's the other way around is all. I usually just shake my head and laugh and at time can't believe some of the things people say, for example, "No comparison as this is a felony coverup of elections manipulation that is should land some people in jail and Benghazi was the unfortunate death of CIA operatives going about a dangerous job." Just don't get it but hey not a big deal everyone is entitled to their opinion I guess. I kept this in one paragraph hope grads reads! :):)

500bbc

Reaction score

Good point although the lurkers have some pretty stout stand up guys like Racey , WTG, Tex etc. that aren't nearly as vitriolic and abusive for education.
Hell, I'd even have a civil conversation with anyone with an open mind.:D

saucedaddy

Reaction score
Good point although the lurkers have some pretty stout stand up guys like Racey , WTG, Tex etc. that aren't nearly as vitriolic and abusive for education.
Hell, I'd even have a civil conversation with anyone with an open mind.:D
And..... That's why they are the Fab 5 (Minus Racey). They believe themselves to be "Just Fabulous", think a 5 pack of Milo's way before Milo!:party2:

RCDave

Reaction score
One thing I've learned following this section, is most of the posters follow a candidate and worship and defend their choice no matter what. Republican or democrat it's all the same.

Supporting a set of principles and firm held beliefs is thrown out the window if they like the person voted for.

Just don't challenge that or the personal attacks will follow with a vengeance

regor

Tormenting libturds
Reaction score
And..... That's why they are the Fab 5 (Minus Racey). They believe themselves to be "Just Fabulous", think a 5 pack of Milo's way before Milo!:party2:

There you go referencing Milo again. You want him to slap that ass, don't ya? :smackbum:

500bbc

Reaction score
One thing I've learned following this section, is most of the posters follow a candidate and worship and defend their choice no matter what. Republican or democrat it's all the same.

Supporting a set of principles and firm held beliefs is thrown out the window if they like the person voted for.

To a point but I've found conservatives much more apt to jump on a Republican in office or running for office.
Huge complaints against President GW and don't forget the wails of anguish when McCain won the primary.

regor

Tormenting libturds
Reaction score

Nice to see you still around RC! :thumbsup

I will simply say this, if you want to win, you have to fight fire with fire. I know that offends some, but as a pretzel once said................."you have to win to govern!!!":skull

GOVERNING!!!!!

Tank

Reaction score

I could not have written that better myself and thought of doing so at times. I've read gramps posts and don't really find them all to offensive. Grads is an enigma and when he's actually not screwing around and trying to piss all the right wingers off, he is reasonable, kinda, a little, sorta, in his own leftist thinking way. ;)

I think it's unfortunate that many are die hard "party associated" and will never even listen to anything other than what they're comfortable with - instead of free thinkers. And I'm not pointing fingers or even specifically saying anyone on here, just in general.

I think this website is a mini bubble of the way the whole nation works, here it just leans heavy right, Ca in general heavy left, etc. And that is a major problem. the divide, the hate for each other, is counterproductive and will destroy this country. We're all Americans, we all need to work together. You don't always have to agree on either sides policies but its a mish mash of all those policies that makes this country go on.

Just my .02

shintoooo

I'm Blessed
Reaction score

So in other words, they are cock gobblers? :D

Grandpa mac

Now politics is kinda boring ;)
Reaction score

Speaking for myself, I think there is a tendency among people with strong political views to only read and listen to news sources that affirm their worldview and this is very dangerous. Whether you're a liberal watching MSNBC or a conservative reading Breitbart, if you're only reading partisan news you are dangerously unbalanced. I listen to Mark Levine and read Politico to try to keep some balance. Since I believe a lot of people on this forum are missing the real news on the NYT, WSJ, AP, and other serious journalism I try to post links I find interesting. I'm not sure why you would call them outdated since I am typically posting news of the day. And, truth be told, I also enjoy stirring the shit and Trump daily seems to generate news which should be troubling even to his most fervent supporters. Glad to hear you're reading and trying to
Educate yourself with an open mind!

Grandpa mac

Reaction score
I could not have written that better myself and thought of doing so at times. I've read gramps posts and don't really find them all to offensive. Grads is an enigma and when he's actually not screwing around and trying to piss all the right wingers off, he is reasonable, kinda, a little, sorta, in his own leftist thinking way. ;)

I think it's unfortunate that many are die hard "party associated" and will never even listen to anything other than what they're comfortable with - instead of free thinkers. And I'm not pointing fingers or even specifically saying anyone on here, just in general.

I think this website is a mini bubble of the way the whole nation works, here it just leans heavy right, Ca in general heavy left, etc. And that is a major problem. the divide, the hate for each other, is counterproductive and will destroy this country. We're all Americans, we all need to work together. You don't always have to agree on either sides policies but its a mish mash of all those policies that makes this country go on.

Just my .02

Well said.

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score

I've always tried to keep a real open mind. Mostly i come to educate myself. I don't mind taking a few beatings if I come out with some new knowledge. There's a lot of really smart people w a lot of life experience. I like
Life experience

Hullbilly

Reaction score
I've always tried to keep a real open mind. Mostly i come to educate myself. I don't mind taking a few beatings if I come out with some new knowledge. There's a lot of really smart people w a lot of life experience. I like
Life experience

That's how I feel too! That's why I eavesdrop at work and read notes out of the garbage cans.....lots of goid info to be found where the trash hangs out!:D

Dalton

Reaction score
Speaking for myself, I think there is a tendency among people with strong political views to only read and listen to news sources that affirm their worldview and this is very dangerous. Whether you're a liberal watching MSNBC or a conservative reading Breitbart, if you're only reading partisan news you are dangerously unbalanced. I listen to Mark Levine and read Politico to try to keep some balance. Since I believe a lot of people on this forum are missing the real news on the NYT, WSJ, AP, and other serious journalism I try to post links I find interesting. I'm not sure why you would call them outdated since I am typically posting news of the day. And, truth be told, I also enjoy stirring the shit and Trump daily seems to generate news which should be troubling even to his most fervent supporters. Glad to hear you're reading and trying to

Very true, I can barely watch news with other people because as soon as they say something slightly against one of his ideas the people watching News dismiss the entire channel and say it's "fake news". Yet Fox News went on for years unchecked, even making small photoshop changes to democrats to make them look more unfavorable, such as making their teeth more yellow or enlarging certain parts of their faces.

SBMech

Fixes Broken Stuff
Reaction score
I post here because I am fascinated by the people who lean left. It's like they are from another planet..

I have learned a ton from all the posters here, left right and fucking crazy...:p:thumbup:

I'll still hoist a drink with anyone here, regardless of where you lean or represent, we all share the same love of the water. :)

Meaney77

Reaction score
X2, I have learned a lot from all of you numb nuts in here posting shit!

RodnJen

Reaction score
Yup, that's it for me. I learn something every week. I have no interest in trying to change/fix any of you any more than I can change/fix any of my family.;)

Following the narrative here helps me understand what and how people think, whether I agree with them or not. That adds value to my day. I move forward, spend time with my family doing the things I like to do, and do the best I can to provide for them.

jet496

Reaction score
I was never political until the Obama administration & I came on here to learn what liberals, conservatives, left, right & all that political stuff was. Now I know, thank you everyone here for that! :thumbup:

Now I am trying to figure out the liberal mindset & I thank them for posting here. :thumbup:

But, sometimes I just post to vent or gloat. :D

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score

Point of order sauce slinger...YOU were the one who dubbed us the "Fab Five".
You even assigned us our rankings.
It would stand to reason then that you are the one who considers us "fabulous".;)

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score

The irony is literally stifling...:rolleyes

kiethco

Reaction score
Seriously, got to the 3rd paragraph and gave up. I'm old too.

Taboma

Reaction score

I agree about the strong political views and tendency to only focus on news that affirms their views. I have a couple of rather close neighbors who fit this stereotype and would be five star members in this section :D I get at least three to five emails a day from them :smackhead

What I meant by outdated is, it's not that the news is outdated, but by the time I see your link, then follow it, I normally only end up on some front page, not viewing the intended article.

I do understand what you're trying to accomplish (Or think so anyway). However, although it might sound odd, the level of attention I devote to another person's point of view, is normally directly proportional to how intelligent, or ones moral character, etc. in other words, how that person comes across. I can find and read news clips from both sides all day thanks to the internet, and think Ho-Hum, just more BS. Yet if an intelligent person with good character shares the story's merit, more than likely I'll pay more attention.

This is why I comment that essentially your mission here, assuming you even have one or give two shits, isn't working, at least not for me.
Not being critical, just offering my opinion, because you do put forth an effort for sure.

As an example, almost everything 530RL posts on here, I read and not only read, but strive to understand. Often it encourages me to do more homework, just to better understand the topic. I know he's got several uncomplimentary names he's been given on here, he takes a lot of shit. I could care less, agree or dis-agree, I've learned more from his posts than from any other contributor. He doesn't just post links, he posts an intelligent commentary that shows a deep understanding of the subject matter and at least for me, makes his point difficult to ignore.
It's obvious why he comes under fire, he's intimidating to the opposing side.

Yes, I have an open mind and I'm an absolute dunce compared to many if not most on here, but I'm here to both learn and well, enjoy the entertainment :lmao

So call me what you like, I know there's several choice labels for my type, but if you present an intelligent view or argument, I'll be listening, learning and who knows ??

Grandpa mac

Reaction score
I agree about the strong political views and tendency to only focus on news that affirms their views. I have a couple of rather close neighbors who fit this stereotype and would be five star members in this section :D I get at least three to five emails a day from them :smackhead

What I meant by outdated is, it's not that the news is outdated, but by the time I see your link, then follow it, I normally only end up on some front page, not viewing the intended article.

I do understand what you're trying to accomplish (Or think so anyway). However, although it might sound odd, the level of attention I devote to another person's point of view, is normally directly proportional to how intelligent, or ones moral character, etc. in other words, how that person comes across. I can find and read news clips from both sides all day thanks to the internet, and think Ho-Hum, just more BS. Yet if an intelligent person with good character shares the story's merit, more than likely I'll pay more attention.

This is why I comment that essentially your mission here, assuming you even have one or give two shits, isn't working, at least not for me.
Not being critical, just offering my opinion, because you do put forth an effort for sure.

As an example, almost everything 530RL posts on here, I read and not only read, but strive to understand. Often it encourages me to do more homework, just to better understand the topic. I know he's got several uncomplimentary names he's been given on here, he takes a lot of shit. I could care less, agree or dis-agree, I've learned more from his posts than from any other contributor. He doesn't just post links, he posts an intelligent commentary that shows a deep understanding of the subject matter and at least for me, makes his point difficult to ignore.
It's obvious why he comes under fire, he's intimidating to the opposing side.

Yes, I have an open mind and I'm an absolute dunce compared to many if not most on here, but I'm here to both learn and well, enjoy the entertainment :lmao

So call me what you like, I know there's several choice labels for my type, but if you present an intelligent view or argument, I'll be listening, learning and who knows ??

Thank you for that perspective. I come from a background where you are expected to reference any idea which is not your own or you are guilty of plagiarism. Additionally I feel strongly that good reporting offers facts and not just opinion, so particularly when I go back searching for something I read months ago to make a point in what I have considered to be the strongest and most academically honest way it's not because I am lazy and it's not because I don't have opinions. I'm posting the best argument I have for facts I accept or opinions I share. But I do take your point and may try to offer a summary of whatever point I'm trying to make. Thanks.

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
Thank you for that perspective. I come from a background where you are expected to reference any idea which is not your own or you are guilty of plagiarism. Additionally I feel strongly that good reporting offers facts and not just opinion, so particularly when I go back searching for something I read months ago to make a point in what I have considered to be the strongest and most academically honest way it's not because I am lazy and it's not because I don't have opinions. I'm posting the best argument I have for facts I accept or opinions I share. But I do take your point and may try to offer a summary of whatever point I'm trying to make. Thanks.

Try posting your own ideas.:thumbsup
I get the conspiracy label a lot from both sides, obviously more from the left, but I don't care.
It may surprise you to know that I view and read almost 100% "news" from what I consider lib sources.
I already know what my thoughts are, I don't need FOX or Milo as some sort of pep rally.

If I may make one humble suggestion...try to differentiate a little better between opinion and fact when citing your sources.
Just because a list of google hits back up your opinion, it doesn't make it fact...it just means others agree with you or have influenced your thoughts.

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
I post here because I like to hear all sides of an issue.

If we only actively engage with like-minded folks, we may as well be talking in a mirror.

America will move forward as a whole. We won't go anywhere if half the people are pushing us right, and the other are pulling us left.

500bbc

Reaction score

True statement but for a Conservative, just to get a view that's not completely leftist, that view must be sought out.

For sixty years virtually every source of news has been leftist.
In the real world as well, not just the news.

Movies, TV, music, schooling, college every single form of communication across the globe is 95 to 99% left wing lies and propaganda.
What is truly amazing is Conservatives existing at all in this environment.

500bbc

Reaction score
Life experience

There he is, The One.:thumbsup

t&y

t&y
Reaction score
Why? Because it's entertaining. If RDP Political section is your source for political news you have bigger issues than any opinions on here:thumbsup Dicussions amongst like minded people (not meaning same political party, more same interests in general) is what real life generally is anyways.

500bbc

Reaction score
Very true, I can barely watch news with other people because as soon as they say something slightly against one of his ideas the people watching News dismiss the entire channel and say it's "fake news". Yet Fox News went on for years unchecked, even making small photoshop changes to democrats to make them look more unfavorable, such as making their teeth more yellow or enlarging certain parts of their faces.

I call bullshit. no need to waste time putting out the effort...

Attachments

• nancy_pelosi_ugly_face.jpg
    nancy_pelosi_ugly_face.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 18

GRADS

Reaction score
Seriously, got to the 3rd paragraph and gave up. I'm old too.

Exactly! That's why I have a two paragraph rule. My time is too valuable for anything more than that.

530RL

Reaction score

Just my .02

I completely agree that it is a mini bubble of the whole nation.

I am also not convinced that the divide and hate, which has existed throughout our countries history is not exactly what makes us a better country to be born into. If you are willing to have a beer with anyone, especially in the P&G section, you probably are not really being honest with yourself.

It is the freedom to experiment with ideas and take chances when others think you are an idiot and hate and or attack you for your ideas and thoughts whether they be political, economic, religious, choice of how to live or any other topic. It is the freedom to vociferously disagree and work to prove your thoughts actually relevant and worth listening to. For me that is what makes us unique and the best country. People don't attack other people every day about solely their political views or choices, they do it on pretty much all choices others make. Work, home, school, church, government, you pick the venue. There is always a division between some people as long as you got alt least two in the room. This section is simply limited to political topics, but the same basic American behavior happens to all of us every day on pretty much every topic. It is our culture.

Hate, anger, disagreement, the desire to prove the other person wrong, that is the lubrication, the motivation, for much of the progress in each of our daily lives, and combined, in our country. Always has been, always will be.

At least for me.

GRADS

Reaction score
This website is nowhere near a "mini bubble" of the United States....unless the nation is overflowing with white rich guys.:rolleyes

Tank

Reaction score
This website is nowhere near a "mini bubble" of the United States....unless the nation is overflowing with white rich guys.:rolleyes

I think my point was lost on you maybe. What I meant was, people tend to stick to their own groups and in each of those groups there will be a majority and a couple minority opinions most of the time. Ca in general is dominated by liberals. Texas, not so much. Go to a sailboating forum and you may find the political section leaning a bit more left with a couple right wingers mixed in. This forum is no different than any other group in this country I guess is what my point was

GRADS

Reaction score
Go to a sailboating forum and you may find the political section leaning a bit more left with a couple right wingers mixed in.

Take me to my people.... :D

Tank

Reaction score
Take me to my people.... :D

Fuck grads, you set em up like that, someone gonna knock em down. That statement is an easy target [emoji23][emoji6]