WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Fullerton Chief on Medical Leave

PVHCA

Reaction score
Out on Medical leave for at least 30 days, after that his MD will re-evaluate the situation. The chief has been under extreme stress since the beating death of the homeless man. He's been recieving hate mail and hate e-mails.

I wonder if this turns into a long drawn out leave like the city of Uplands police chief. Our chief has been out nearly a year for medical and stress leave, all due to the crap going on with our ex-mayor.

Not sure if forcing either one of them to resign is the answer, what do you all think?

Dettom

Reaction score
Thankless job. Most chiefs only last a few years and then retire. I've been through 7 chiefs in my career and they are looking for the next one.

HALLETT BOY

Reaction score
Yea , well he 's still making $228k a year , what other job other then a govt job could you do that ?

Reaction score
Good for him. Finally gets some peace and quiet.

PVHCA

Reaction score
Yea , well he 's still making $228k a year , what other job other then a govt job could you do that ?

Well this is one of my points, what's the problem with what he's making and what has he done wrong to not deserve his pay?

I get what your saying, lil devil's adv. here because I'm the guy that doesn't condem before they are found guilty.

HALLETT BOY

Reaction score
The problem is that he and his department failed doing their job , he ,and his over - zealous employees should all be fired and stripped of their outrageous , which soon we will be paying to the chief the rest of his life , pensions !

PVHCA

Reaction score
The problem is that he and his department failed doing their job , he ,and his over - zealous employees should all be fired and stripped of their outrageous , which soon we will be paying to the chief the rest of his life , pensions !

Did he fail or did the 6 accused LEO's act on their own like complete assholes?

Mr. C

going back in time
Reaction score
I think he failed in that he should of been out front of the news and giving whatever he felt he needed to calm the public and let them know he is on it. Instead of hiding and waiting/hoping this would go away silently.

Armchair quarterbacking is easy:D

Reaction score
Bitter much. If that guy put in a lifetime of saving lives he deserves every penny he gets comming to him

No no, he forced those guys to do that remember:rolleyes:
The buck stops with him
Again i ask, bitter much? Just saying

Baja Big Dog

Banned
Reaction score
I think he should be fired, and stripped on his pension, because he call all 6 of the cops that day and told them to go out and find a homeless guy and beat him to death!! Jezsus F Krist...what a crock of shit.

This campaign is headed by the father of the guy that died, he is a media whore, grabs any and all attention he can, ever notice one thing missing from his soapbox speeches...any remorse for his sons death, never a tear shed..

Where was his father of the year when his kid was living on the streets???

HALLETT BOY

Reaction score
Bitter much. If that guy put in a lifetime of saving lives he deserves every penny he gets comming to him

No no, he forced those guys to do that remember:rolleyes:

Again i ask, bitter much? Just saying

Bitter ? yes ! frustrated ? yes ! tired of all these govt people failing miserably
at their jobs with no accountability ...just retiring with a nice golden parachute and living off the fat of the land , ie : taxpayers !

jetboatmatt

Reaction score
Amen Baja big dog Amen!!!!! So a guy works 30 years and when one thing goes wrong he should be cut of everything??? When you get in a car accident should you never be aloud to drive again? If your food sucks at a restaurant should the entire staff be laid off??? Well maybe the last one because I love good food!!! Lol but come on people!!!! A few bad cops is all that went wrong!!! There are hundreds of thousands of cops out there keeping us safe everyday, they have a shity job and sometimes it gets the better of them. The chief I just a pencil pusher he's not in the field or training these guys. And you don't train a personality!!!!! He should have given a press conf. And it would have been better... He still deserves his full retirement he put his time in. As for the father of that man that was skitso he should of had him in a care facility and not on the streets!!! In my opinion it's the fathers ultimate fault!!!! Peace!!

PVHCA

Reaction score
I believe these LEO's are responsible for their own actions, were they trained wrong, don't know. Does the chief deserve the shit he's getting, not sure but I'd bet his superiors are telling him to STFU and don't comment until the facts are all square. What do peeps want him to say or show?

I think alot of us jump to conclusions way too quick, did we all forget that these six LEO's took an oath and were trained to perform their duties, seems to me without proper info and evidence I can't make a decision either way, should they be fired, should the chief be fired, guess I have to wait for more info.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
I think he should be fired, and stripped on his pension, because he call all 6 of the cops that day and told them to go out and find a homeless guy and beat him to death!! Jezsus F Krist...what a crock of shit.

This campaign is headed by the father of the guy that died, he is a media whore, grabs any and all attention he can, ever notice one thing missing from his soapbox speeches...any remorse for his sons death, never a tear shed..

excellent points...

but on the other hand, dont take a job if you cant take the heat. the guy (cheif) is a fuckin pussy imho.

im tired of fixing cars, my back hurts every day. wish i could take a medical leave and STILL get my pay!!! :rolleyes:

if he's gonna walk away from the job, he should walk away from his pay as well. fuck him for being a bitch. :thumbsdown

HALLETT BOY

Reaction score
excellent points...

but on the other hand, dont take a job if you cant take the heat. the guy (cheif) is a fuckin pussy imho.

im tired of fixing cars, my back hurts every day. wish i could take a medical leave and STILL get my pay!!! :rolleyes:

if he's gonna walk away from the job, he should walk away from his pay as well. fuck him for being a bitch. :thumbsdown

Finally someone thinking rationally ...

Reaction score
excellent points...

Taking a break isnt walking away. He will return to serve the people of his town soon enough. Sheese, take a midol and be quiet

Baja Big Dog

Banned
Reaction score
The Chief is being condemned for NOT commenting on the beating, and instead of admiring him for not grandstanding, and waiting for the facts before saying anything should be applauded...take Charlie Beck, that asshat jumped on the soapbox when Mayor Mex had his hand up his ass making the Chief's lips move in the Dodger beating, claiming (with tears in his eyes) that they caught the suspect in the beating...how did that pan out for Charlie???

Has the Chief lost respect of the rank and file? Doubtful...

Answering to the public is the Chief's job, but doing so without facts is ridiculous!!.

Yellowboat

Reaction score
Amen Baja big dog Amen!!!!! So a guy works 30 years and when one thing goes wrong he should be cut of everything??? When you get in a car accident should you never be aloud to drive again? If your food sucks at a restaurant should the entire staff be laid off??? Well maybe the last one because I love good food!!! Lol but come on people!!!! A few bad cops is all that went wrong!!! There are hundreds of thousands of cops out there keeping us safe everyday, they have a shity job and sometimes it gets the better of them. The chief I just a pencil pusher he's not in the field or training these guys. And you don't train a personality!!!!! He should have given a press conf. And it would have been better... He still deserves his full retirement he put his time in. As for the father of that man that was skitso he should of had him in a care facility and not on the streets!!! In my opinion it's the fathers ultimate fault!!!! Peace!!

its like that if your a contractor, why should a public employee be any diffrent?

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Taking a break isnt walking away. He will return to serve the people of his town soon enough. Sheese, take a midol and be quiet

this post has stressed me out. i need to take a break from the fourms...

:(

Ill Still be expecting usuall pay though RD. :swear:D:p

AZJD

Lynch's River Mob
Reaction score
Found my new siggy line.....:D

Dettom

Reaction score
Well here we go again...let's end the careers of the entire department for the actions of six people on the job, who may have acted inappropriately. And I say "may have" because charges have not yet been filed so there is no adjudation. So..your a Fullerton cop at home on your day off, spending time with the fam. You get a call and they tell you, "Sorry dude, your fired because some guys on another shift beat some guy and he died. We have to fire the whole department. Bring in your shit". Sounds logical to me..

Joker

Reaction score
All this is is the chief saying fuck you to the taxpayers. Would sherrif Joe ever do this? NO

Groper

Reaction score

Wow, someone that thinks like I do !!

The family has the means to help their son, he could have been in a privatly run home for this type of illness. But chose not to.

musicFunsun

I Love BoBo!!!
Reaction score
The Chief needed to speak to the public ( carefully scripted, of course) but he need to say something, his silence leads people to believe he is not acting in best interest of everyone. And, the dad claims the city attorney's came to him and offered $$ to let it drop. No way to know if its true or not. I don't believe penions, etc should be taken from the chief but he should step down. The six cops however, they should be held accountable. Just my .02.
PVHCA--you should run for office in Upland!! I've been following the whole county/colonies story.............sure is interesting.

Ultra26 # 1

2007 Ultra 26 Shadow
Reaction score
Wow, someone that thinks like I do !!

The family has the means to help their son, he could have been in a privatly run home for this type of illness. But chose not to.

Nonetheless, beating this poor soul to death was probably little excessive, don't ya think??.

Kelly-Thomas-Police-Beating-500x299.jpg

PVHCA

Reaction score
The Chief needed to speak to the public ( carefully scripted, of course) but he need to say something, his silence leads people to believe he is not acting in best interest of everyone. And, the dad claims the city attorney's came to him and offered $$ to let it drop. No way to know if its true or not. I don't believe penions, etc should be taken from the chief but he should step down. The six cops however, they should be held accountable. Just my .02.
PVHCA--you should run for office in Upland!! I've been following the whole county/colonies story.............sure is interesting.

I'd never run for an office in any city, when JP was mayor he'd ask me often if I wanted him to appoint me to a board and I'd just say not interested. Too many microscopes for me.

Nonetheless, beating this poor soul to death was probably little excessive, don't ya think??.

Kelly-Thomas-Police-Beating-500x299.jpg

Looks way too excessive for me, I wasn't there to witness what he did to them but wouldn't a bullet to the legs have stopped him and caused less damage?

ROC

lets have a beer
Reaction score
I think he failed in that he should of been out front of the news and giving whatever he felt he needed to calm the public and let them know he is on it. Instead of hiding and waiting/hoping this would go away silently.

Armchair quarterbacking is easy:D

He could have said things to calm the public? Like what? What, in your opinion, could he have said that would make anybody feel differently.

IMO, nothing.

It appears the feelings around here is that the chief should be fired. For what? You guys can't be serious.

Based on the current "facts" y'all have available, some folks think this guy should lose his job? Wow.

Tapatalk

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
Looks way too excessive for me, I wasn't there to witness what he did to them but wouldn't a bullet to the legs have stopped him and caused less damage?

If you're a cop, "shoot to wound" is a sure way to lose your job, pension, and likely all of your possessions in court. Not to mention potential prison time.

If you shoot, you shoot to kill. The only reason to shoot anyone, or even brandish your weapon, is when you're life is threatened, and you need to use deadly force to protect yourself.

Mr. C

going back in time
Reaction score
He could have said things to calm the public? Like what? What, in your opinion, could he have said that would make anybody feel differently.

IMO, nothing.

It appears the feelings around here is that the chief should be fired. For what? You guys can't be serious.

Based on the current "facts" y'all have available, some folks think this guy should lose his job? Wow.

Tapatalk

I don't know exactly what you say but i don't remember seeing him once giving any type of interview. Even if it's as simple as I have heard the complaints, seen some video and we are fully looking into this. blah blah blah. He just went into hiding it seemed (probably told to) and that on the outside doesn't appear to be a good leader. I think he has learned a great deal from this also and might even make a better chief for going through this in the long run. I am not in favor of taking away his pension whatever the outcome. Now the cops are a different story.

PVHCA

Reaction score
If you're a cop, "shoot to wound" is a sure way to lose your job, pension, and likely all of your possessions in court. Not to mention potential prison time.

If you shoot, you shoot to kill. The only reason to shoot anyone, or even brandish your weapon, is when you're life is threatened, and you need to use deadly force to protect yourself.

Is this the policy the our PD's instruct all LEO's? If that's the case no wonder our PD's across the nation are all fucked up!!

In response to your other comment, I can assure you that not all LEO's brandish their weapons with the only intent to kill, sometimes just as a precaution.

El Rojo

Reaction score
welcome to the age of cell phone video, world wide social media, and transperancy in government. no longer can these thugs hide behind their badges while the rest of the frat boys down at the station try to cover up thier injustices. six guys beat one guy to death.........why? cuz he was still moving? was that "resistance?" were the cops afraid of their lives? funny i haven't heard of them branishing thier weapons. oh wait, they only do that when they shoot 18yr old girls in Huntington Beach

pronstar

Reaction score
Is this the policy the our PD's instruct all LEO's? If that's the case no wonder our PD's across the nation are all fucked up!!

In response to your other comment, I can assure you that not all LEO's brandish their weapons with the only intent to kill, sometimes just as a precaution.

My second statement was more for Joe Public, than cops.

Here's an article about a proposed "shoot to wound" bill that was, er, shot down in New York.

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/cops_furious_at_don_kill_bill_SkSRn51FKIeHqY85ZHJSYI

This is a good article on why cops aren't trained to "shoot to wound"

http://www.policeone.com/legal/arti...e-sense-scientifically-legally-or-tactically/

ROC

lets have a beer
Reaction score
I don't know exactly what you say but i don't remember seeing him once giving any type of interview. Even if it's as simple as I have heard the complaints, seen some video and we are fully looking into this. blah blah blah. He just went into hiding it seemed (probably told to) and that on the outside doesn't appear to be a good leader. I think he has learned a great deal from this also and might even make a better chief for going through this in the long run. I am not in favor of taking away his pension whatever the outcome. Now the cops are a different story.

Put like that, ok it makes sense.

My opinion, hes damned if he do and hes damned if he dont.

For folks to suggest he be fired is insane Especially this early in the game.

This entire incident is gonna be filled with "coulda, shoulda, woulda". These types of cases always are.

Tapatalk

Dettom

Reaction score
Put like that, ok it makes sense.

My opinion, hes damned if he do and hes damned if he dont.

For folks to suggest he be fired is insane Especially this early in the game.

This entire incident is gonna be filled with "coulda, shoulda, woulda". These types of cases always are.

Tapatalk
His career will likely not survive. Few chief's careers ever do after a high profile event like this, right or wrong. That should make people happy since it looks everyone just wants a pound of flesh. Let's don't confuse ourselves with mere facts..

adamtwo4

Reaction score
Out on Medical leave for at least 30 days, after that his MD will re-evaluate the situation. The chief has been under extreme stress since the beating death of the homeless man. He's been recieving hate mail and hate e-mails.

I wonder if this turns into a long drawn out leave like the city of Uplands police chief. Our chief has been out nearly a year for medical and stress leave, all due to the crap going on with our ex-mayor.

Not sure if forcing either one of them to resign is the answer, what do you all think?

Only one thing I think about this. If you took the job, you better be able to handle everything that comes along with it. You knew when you became Chief, you would get to speak to the press, etc. Not my fault you thought it was going to be Roses and Butterflies.

Guess what: in the real world, if you don't go to work, you don't get paid. Period, end of story. "Medical Stress" leave. Gimme a break, imagine if the CEO of a company said "too much stress!" and tried to take a year off. They'd be on the street without a job so fast their head would spin.

That is the reason Bosses get paid the big bucks. You get the stresses and hours that come along with the paycheck.

ROC

lets have a beer
Reaction score
His career will likely not survive. Few chief's careers ever do after a high profile event like this, right or wrong. That should make people happy since it looks everyone just wants a pound of flesh. Let's don't confuse ourselves with mere facts..

Yep.

I have a friend, now retired, who was a chief that got thrown into the grinder over a high profile incident.

We had a cocktail one night...............I said " you ain't got nuthin to prove Chief. Theyre looking to place blame and youre fucked no matter what you say. F'em. Take your retirement and enjoy your family". Hes a good dude too.

Being a Chief ain't easy. In most cases of chief of police or fire.........No matter what you do or don't do, you're gonna piss someone off who can make you want to quit. Many do. Either the troops hate you or city council hates you. Rare is the chief that please the troops AND the city council AND John Q

Many times, the public will hate you, just because you make too much and your benefits are too good.

The person at the top is an easy target. They're the only one there, and they can't really move or hide. One shot, one kill.

(figuratively speaking......you homos :D)

Tapatalk

Last edited:

PVHCA

Reaction score
My second statement was more for Joe Public, than cops.

Here's an article about a proposed "shoot to wound" bill that was, er, shot down in New York.

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/cops_furious_at_don_kill_bill_SkSRn51FKIeHqY85ZHJSYI

This is a good article on why cops aren't trained to "shoot to wound"

http://www.policeone.com/legal/arti...e-sense-scientifically-legally-or-tactically/

I get what you mean and the article, just seems to me that harming this guy may have been the right way to go rather than the death pummelling he got.

pronstar

Reaction score
Guess what: in the real world, if you don't go to work, you don't get paid. Period, end of story. "Medical Stress" leave. Gimme a break, imagine if the CEO of a company said "too much stress!" and tried to take a year off. They'd be on the street without a job so fast their head would spin.

I guess you don't live in CA...while CA can hardly be described as "the real world" I've had co-workers take medical leave for "mental anguish" and shit like that.

Apparently, working at an ad agency is super stressful :rolleyes:

Mr. C

going back in time
Reaction score
I guess you don't live in CA...while CA can hardly be described as "the real world" I've had co-workers take medical leave for "mental anguish" and shit like that.

I think a lot of people would be surprised how many companies offer stress leave. Not sure how long.

I think some positions might need it. Example would be a cop after he had to kill somebody. I would think that would mess with you pretty good. even if you are supposedly trained for it. I can be pretty cold blooded and think if I had to shoot someone to protect my own I would be good with that but who knows till it happens. It could totally F with my head.

Baja Big Dog

Banned
Reaction score

IMO, nothing.

Tapatalk

Come on ROC...in this day of media, cell phone, and shit being blown out of proportion, your statement although is so true, its meaningless...what could he say....repeating you..NOTHING!! Anything he said would be blown so far out of proportion, the lynch mob would have his ass not matter what he said....

Like I said, when they indict him for demanding his rank and file go out and kill someone, I will change my opinion!!

ROC

lets have a beer
Reaction score
Come on ROC...in this day of media, cell phone, and shit being blown out of proportion, your statement although is so true, its meaningless...what could he say....repeating you..NOTHING!! Anything he said would be blown so far out of proportion, the lynch mob would have his ass not matter what he said....

Like I said, when they indict him for demanding his rank and file go out and kill someone, I will change my opinion!!

Uhhh, I'm confused by this post lol

Are ypu saying were on the same page?

Tapatalk

t&y

t&y
Reaction score

I have never heard of shoot to kill or shoot to wound as a policy. From day one it has always been "Shoot to stop the threat". When you do shoot you have to justify every single shot and if the guy is down and you keep dumping rounds into him you better have a good reason.

We don't shoot legs, arms, guns out of peoples hands on purpose in real life. To risky when you consider collateral damage.

As to the topic of the thread... He is the chief but I don't think he was at the incident directing force that night. There is no reason he should loose his job over this unless it's found that he was neglegant in his duties after the fact. Not releasing info to the public does not equal that. It may of been a better choice, but not a must.

Dettom

Reaction score
Only one thing I think about this. If you took the job, you better be able to handle everything that comes along with it. You knew when you became Chief, you would get to speak to the press, etc. Not my fault you thought it was going to be Roses and Butterflies.

That is the reason Bosses get paid the big bucks. You get the stresses and hours that come along with the paycheck.
Jesus Christ! I give up. I guess we don't live in the "real" world.

spectra3279

Vaginamoney broke
Reaction score
A little late in the game here, but.

If it was a naval vessel, then hell yes. The CO is always ultimately responsible for the actions of his crew.