WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Legal Places to Ride Dirt Bikes in So Cal?

Shorty

Reaction score
So where does everyone legally ride in the Southern California area?

I am looking at purchasing my first Dirt Bike shortly, I have a pretty good deal lined up, but I am looking to get some input on where everyone rides. I have very minimal experience riding so I will not be ready to hit the tracks yet, I am looking for somewhere a little more beginner friendly.

Along with that does anyone have any connections for riding gear, boots, helmets, etc or know of any retailers with decent prices, I've bee to Temecula Motorsports and a few others and they seem a little high to me, but I could be wrong.

Thanks for the input.

HOOTER SLED-

Supercharged MOTORBOAT!!!
Reaction score
Chapparal always has a huge blow out sale around the same time each year. Maybe someone else can chime in if they know when.

EpicOne

Voice of Reason
Reaction score
Chapparal always has a huge blow out sale around the same time each year. Maybe someone else can chime in if they know when.

I know that a lot of the shops that don't want to participate in the show, run simultaneous sales as they know the cheapest stuff is found at the show. Places like Chapparel and Bert's that used to pay for floor space now just hold "in store" sales. I still think the show is where all the cheapest stuff is found as you can negotiate and it's all there to compare and you can buy previous years' style for cheap.

rivergames

Reaction score
Gorman, Jawbone, Cal Shitty (City), Lucerne Valley, Stoddard Wells

To name a few

Captain Dan

Reaction score

The Chapparral sale was already held at the beginning of October. They still may have decent in-store prices.

I avoid Temecula Motorsrports like the plague - they have screwed me over in every department (sales, service, parts). Most everyone you speak to has the same opinion of that place - not sure why they are still in business.

If you are in Temecula, try Dave Treen at Temecula Cycle - he doesn't have a huge inventory, but he can get whatever you need in a day or two.

chaser

Reaction score
A good riding ares is octillo wells. out past palamar mountain for you.

Tom Slick

Reaction score
I always offer a pretty healthy RDP discount. Check out my site or give me a call. If you can't find. What you're looking for on the site, I can still most likely get it for you.

877-227-1218

www.CCRSport.com

phuggit

Reaction score
Dual Sport your bike and several riding area options will open up.

droidage.......:O

Sharp Shooter

The "anti-yuppie"
Reaction score
I don't get why so many people are scared of motocross track? Not all tracks are as gnarly as Glen Helen!!! lol

I've been in socal my whole life and ridden everywhere. Back in the 80's I used to ride from my dads house in Upland up Euclid avenue and into the mountains.

I've been to all the spots many times. That being said, the local Motocross park in Riverside has the absolute best little beginner track anywhere. I've used this track time and time again to show people they don't have to be afraid of tracks.

Here's a list of reasons why I like this place over the local OHV areas:

1. It's close. I ride from 9:00 am to 1:30pm then stop off for lunch and still get home and clean my bike and truck before dinner.:cool:

2. The soil is prepped and groomed and because of that it's not slick or rocky like the desert and mountains.

3. No hidden suprises! You won't accidently slide off a cliff or fly up on a drop off you didn't know was there.

4. There's a medic on the property and Arrowhead hospital is 10 minutes away.

5. Track riding is the overall skills best teacher.

6. There's hot chicks there. :D

7. During the week you can hang out with top AMA pros and even ride with them.

Here's a video from last friday with me riding chase cam with my friend Ian. I do this to help the rider. This is on the beginner track I'm speaking of and only Ian's 2nd time riding.

You're welcome to join us anytime. We ride fridays. I have a thread over on Performance boat in the off the water section if you or anyone else is interested.

[video=youtube;pCuzPfYRYNU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCuzPfYRYNU&feature=player_embedded[/video]

Last edited:

Fltplan

Reaction score
I don't get why so many people are scared of motocross track? Not all tracks are as gnarly as Glen Helen!!! lol

I've been in socal my whole life and ridden everywhere. Back in the 80's I used to ride from my dads house in Upland up Euclid avenue and into the mountains.

I've been to all the spots many times. That being said, the local Motocross park in Riverside has the absolute best little beginner track anywhere. I've used this track time and time again to show people they don't have to be afraid of tracks.

1. It's close. I ride from 9:00 am to 1:30pm then stop off for lunch and still get home and clean my bike and truck before dinner.:cool:

2. The soil is prepped and groomed and because of that it's not slick or rocky like the desert and mountains.

3. No hidden suprises! You won't accidently slide off a cliff or fly up on a drop off you didn't know was there.

Here's a video from last friday with me riding chase cam with my friend Ian. I do this to help the rider. This is on the beginner track I'm speaking of and only Ian's 2nd time riding.

You're welcome to join us anytime. We ride fridays. I have a thread over on Performance boat in the off the water section if you or anyone else is interested.

Ian at Milestone via GOPRO chase cam - YouTube

When I was a kid, to ride on a track you had to race. I tried it at Speedway 117 in Southbay in San Diego and Carlsbad as well. It was a blast, but it was a race and a little edgy for the first time at a track.

Now, you can go to the track for the day and just ride. I wish this would've been available when I was younger. I learned to ride in the desert (Ocotillo Wells). Although it was a great learning area (at that time), my riding skills took years to really develop. Every time I'd go riding with a motocross guy or a trails guy, I'd be really impressed with how their skills were.

My advice, go to the track and get some good instruction/pointers like sharp shooter is talking about. If you can learn the right technique at the beginning, you will enjoy it much more. Just make sure you ride within your limits, never above. You can get hurt anywhere on a bike(track, desert, in front of your house, etc) if you ride over your head. Have fun and be safe. Spend your $$$ on good safety equipment and learning how to ride the right way. Any of these new bikes are way past most people's capabilities.

Shorty

Reaction score

I would love to ride on the local tracks, but I do not feel I am ready yet as my experience is extremely minimal so I feel learning somewhere open like Ocotillo wells would be my best bet before I make it out to the tracks.

When I was a kid, to ride on a track you had to race. I tried it at Speedway 117 in Southbay in San Diego and Carlsbad as well. It was a blast, but it was a race and a little edgy for the first time at a track.

Now, you can go to the track for the day and just ride. I wish this would've been available when I was younger. I learned to ride in the desert (Ocotillo Wells). Although it was a great learning area (at that time), my riding skills took years to really develop. Every time I'd go riding with a motocross guy or a trails guy, I'd be really impressed with how their skills were.

My advice, go to the track and get some good instruction/pointers like sharp shooter is talking about. If you can learn the right technique at the beginning, you will enjoy it much more. Just make sure you ride within your limits, never above. You can get hurt anywhere on a bike(track, desert, in front of your house, etc) if you ride over your head. Have fun and be safe. Spend your $$$ on good safety equipment and learning how to ride the right way. Any of these new bikes are way past most people's capabilities.

Thanks for the advice, thankfully for pointers and tips I have my father who rode for many years before a good crash that took him out of the sport so he should be able to help get me progressing down the right track.

Thank you for all the input so far everyone, once I start riding more I will certainly be looking for anyone in the So Cal area that likes to go out and ride since as of now it will just be myself riding.

Sharp Shooter

The "anti-yuppie"
Reaction score
I would love to ride on the local tracks, but I do not feel I am ready yet as my experience is extremely minimal so I feel learning somewhere open like Ocotillo wells would be my best bet before I make it out to the tracks.

That dude in my video was on his 2nd ride!

Whatever you do good luck and have fun!! :thumbsup

Shorty

Reaction score
That dude in my video was on his 2nd ride!

Whatever you do good luck and have fun!! :thumbsup

Missed that part of the post. Maybe its easier thank I am thinking to learn to ride on the track.

I see you guys ride on Fridays typically, not usually off on Fridays but I will certainly send you over a PM sometime if I ever get a Friday off.

cave

Reaction score
Dont skimp on a skid lid. Thats the only thing between the ground and your Skull.

You get what you pay for in skull protection.

HotRod82

Reaction score
If you do go to milestone, LOCK YOUR SHIT UP!! several people I know have had their stuff jacked there. All of the mx boards are full of similar stories including many motorcycles being taken as well. Lots of people convinced it was an inside job......great tracks though!

westair

Reaction score
I dont know what area your in but there's some mx tracks down by where I live, Pala Raceway, supposed to have riding for all levels. next to the 15fwy and 76. N. San Diego Co

Abc123

Banned
Reaction score

I do agree with you on this! A lot of times when I cant find a partner to ride the desert with the track was what I'd do. Defiantly not going up to the high desert for the day alone. I do like the feeling of "getting away" for a day though. And I like the scenery of the desert...You also cant compare track riding to desert riding though. Two completely different animals. I like both for different reasons.

Wicky

Mr. Potatohead
Reaction score
Back in the day, I used to love to rip my CR through my quiet neighborhood in Claremont tapped out for about 5 minutes and then back to the bat cave before the cops started looking for me. Almost the same rush as a step up double!!
Nowadays, I still enjoy riding wheelies through the hood on my converted street legal DRZ 400e!!! There are all kinds of shortcuts I have around town. Stairs, parking lot bariers, truck docks, all kinds of stuff. Just look around. Enduro City....it should be video game!! Always good riding as long as you don't get caught!!

Sharp Shooter

The "anti-yuppie"
Reaction score
If you do go to milestone, LOCK YOUR SHIT UP!! several people I know have had their stuff jacked there. All of the mx boards are full of similar stories including many motorcycles being taken as well. Lots of people convinced it was an inside job......great tracks though!

I haven't heard of anything stolen since they tightened the place up. I've been going there regularly since they opened and never had a problem nor have any of my friends (knock on wood).:)

1homeblown

Reaction score
Been racing and riding my whole life. Haven't been on a track since I was 17 but have been getting the itch to go back. I love desert riding. Half of the fun fort self is staying overnight with the kids and a campfire 🍻. Hopefully heading out to Stoddard Wells this weekend! 👍👍
Spend GOOD money on a GOOD brain-bucket 💰. You know what they say...if ya got a ten dollar head, get a ten dollar helmet 💀. Like I said..spend the cash to get a good lid and have fun!

AEA

Reaction score

That pretty much applies to anyplace...IF YOU WANT TO KEEP IT....LOCK IT UP!!!

oldschool

Reaction score
SS is right, tracks are a blast. Find a place, like Milestone, that has a good beginner track and give it a shot. Go with someone that knows what's going on and listen to them. I'll bet you'll be hooked, I know I am. If you think your in shape try riding moto, you'll find out that your not.

bilz

Newly Retired!😁
Reaction score
Malcom Smith in Riverside this weekend.

Attachments

• 234.jpg
    234.jpg
    128 KB · Views: 137

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
So where does everyone legally ride in the Southern California area?

I am looking at purchasing my first Dirt Bike shortly, I have a pretty good deal lined up, but I am looking to get some input on where everyone rides. I have very minimal experience riding so I will not be ready to hit the tracks yet, I am looking for somewhere a little more beginner friendly.

Along with that does anyone have any connections for riding gear, boots, helmets, etc or know of any retailers with decent prices, I've bee to Temecula Motorsports and a few others and they seem a little high to me, but I could be wrong.

Thanks for the input.

I could tell ya a whole bunch of places to ride, but that line up there concerns me. There is a LOT to know about desert riding, to make sure you come back in one piece!

Best thing to do is tag along with some experienced riders. Not only with they take you to places you wont find online, but they will clue you in to safe riding habits, and make sure that your Always safe.

Off roding is a dangerous sport. I know people that are now in wheel chairs or worse, because of one false step in the dirt.

Experience is your best friend. Find some experienced riders and have yourself a great time! :thumbsup

PlumLoco

Vintage Jawa CZ motorcycles
Reaction score
I dunno where you live but Chapparell in Berdoo is worth the drive simply because they have everything on the floor. Try it on and then shop the price around. I have found that most of their prices on gear are pretty hard to beat especially when you figure in shipping and handling from the mail order guys. I wouldn't even think of buying a bike from them, their salesmen are all on crack it seems, and their habit is $$$ apparently.
That being said, there is a lot to be said for supporting your local dealership. It is hard to stay in biz for the little guys, and if you have a local dealer that treats you right, you really oughta help 'em out when you can. Often the rewards are many. Heck my local Honda-Yamaha dealer has worked on my CZ a few times.