WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

2014 SJP Jeep Rubicon JK Build

GET SOME

Reaction score
Did the 3" rubicon lift and 35" hankook all terrains, fuel rims, Bilstein shocks and steering stabilizer, sway bar disconnect and rear bumper / tire carrier yesterday.

It's a little squirly on the freeway coming out last night, but it was windy as fuck and they had way too much pressure in the tires.

Rock sliders should be coming from brown santa shortly.

Need to add the matching front bumper and tow bar set up next.

View attachment 376925
View attachment 376926

Looks great.. They are a big lunch box when the wind picks up.. Definitely a two handed drive

LowRiver2

Reaction score
image.jpg

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
SJP,

You put 35's on yours, does it wander a bit on the pavement when you get going 40, 50 plus or so? I've got hankook all terrain tread 35's, bilsteins and bilstein steering stabilizer with the rubicon express 3.5 lift. 35 pounds in the tires. It just takes continuous steering inputs now to keep it going where I want. Nothing major, just annoying, actually the drive out the 40 was pretty exhausting. I thought it was windy out and it wasn't. I think it's a caster issue after hitting the Internet and doing some research. The kit comes with cam bolts which are installed but I wonder if they adjusted the caster or I need adjustable control arms?

I've also been reading that the dealer should reflash the computer to calibrate the ESP for the lift and larger tires?

SJP

WHTBRD
Reaction score
SJP,

You put 35's on yours, does it wander a bit on the pavement when you get going 40, 50 plus or so? I've got hankook all terrain tread 35's, bilsteins and bilstein steering stabilizer with the rubicon express 3.5 lift. 35 pounds in the tires. It just takes continuous steering inputs now to keep it going where I want. Nothing major, just annoying, actually the drive out the 40 was pretty exhausting. I thought it was windy out and it wasn't. I think it's a caster issue after hitting the Internet and doing some research. The kit comes with cam bolts which are installed but I wonder if they adjusted the caster or I need adjustable control arms?

I've also been reading that the dealer should reflash the computer to calibrate the ESP for the lift and larger tires?

So I can run mine at 70-75 on the freeway. I am not kicking back one hand on the wheel but it is not sketchy either. :D I run 28-29 lbs in my tires and as they heat it goes to 30. The offset of my wheels kicks out the wheelbase a bit so that helps. As for the ECU - they put a module in mine. Not sure if it helps make it easier for them to tune for the wheels but I am surprised the dealer would let it leave without recalibrate of some sort because it will throw of your mile ct. Eventually, maintenance, etc. Not a big deal but my DMAX is like that at speed it is about 8-10 mph off. After 150k it can add.

Singleton

Reaction score
SJP,

I have the calibration tool from ProComp in my garage. Same lift as you and tire size. Not sure if you need anything else to re calibrate the settings, but you can borrow it if you want. I am driving to my office at LAX tomorrow morning, then back to SD Wednesday. Let me know if you want to borrow it.

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
I have the calibration tool from ProComp in my garage. Same lift as you and tire size. Not sure if you need anything else to re calibrate the settings, but you can borrow it if you want. I am driving to my office at LAX tomorrow morning, then back to SD Wednesday. Let me know if you want to borrow it.

That would be cool, take it with you if you don't mind, I'll figure out a way to get it Monday or Tuesday.

I am also going to order this.....

http://www.aev-conversions.com/shop/jk-geometry-correction-brackets-frt

I was going to get the AEV lift and these are included but they were back ordered, so I got the rubi express and it doesn't have the same feature. All of the research I did t last night says these make a huge difference by getting the geometry back to stock. A little bit of ground clearance is lost but every review I read said its the best $99 spent on the JK. After I put this on I'll have the caster checked and reset.

Singleton

Reaction score
That would be cool, take it with you if you don't mind, I'll figure out a way to get it Monday or Tuesday.

I am also going to order this.....

http://www.aev-conversions.com/shop/jk-geometry-correction-brackets-frt

I was going to get the AEV lift and these are included but they were back ordered, so I got the rubi express and it doesn't have the same feature. All of the research I did t last night says these make a huge difference by getting the geometry back to stock. A little bit of ground clearance is lost but every review I read said its the best $99 spent on the JK. After I put this on I'll have the caster checked and reset.

I will take it with me. Which RE lift did you go with?
Wednesday I will be leaving my office around 8 to drive home to SD, can meet anywhere around Irvine if needed. You still have my cell, if no PM me and I will send.

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
SJP,

My guess is your caster is off.

Did the kit you had installed come with lower front arms?

Post a picture of your alignment specs you shouldn't be having those kind of issues.

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
Rubicon 3.5 short arm, I didn't get the specs, forgot to ask,
Learning as I go.

SJP

WHTBRD
Reaction score
A little cleanup. I ran the lower dogs to the spod, finish tieing in the A pillar lights. Added a trunk so I was not as stressed to park it with items in the back. Put matching rear billet grab handles.

image.jpg

image.jpg

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
I took mine to Rick Mooneyham / Trick Toys in Havasu and he got the lift right. The shop that installed it in OC had the geometry all screwed up, it was a disaster to drive. Now it rides like butter, better than stock.

Singleton

Reaction score
I took mine to Rick Mooneyham / Trick Toys in Havasu and he got the lift right. The shop that installed it in OC had the geometry all screwed up, it was a disaster to drive. Now it rides like butter, better than stock.

You re calibrated everything yet?
Just realized I never sent my return address. When you are dine let me know.

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score

I need to send it back to you, pm me your address. It won't let me program mine until yours is returned to stock.

I need to order one. Once I recalibrate it the shift points will be correct right?

Singleton

Reaction score
I need to send it back to you, pm me your address. It won't let me program mine until yours is returned to stock.

I need to order one. Once I recalibrate it the shift points will be correct right?

Well, that sucks you can't use it.
Yes, it will update speedo, shift points and you can set tire pressure.

Paul65k

Schiada Baby.......Yeah!!
Reaction score

That's the built-in copy/multiple vehicle use protection......not that anyone would do that though right :rolleyes

TCHB

Reaction score
I was watching the front end lightly go up and down it the front wheel floating. The jeep did a good job hanging out with the Havasu 4 Wheelers

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
When and where do those guys hang out?

My dad is full time in Havasu now and could use a good group to wheel with.

Good group?

SJP

WHTBRD
Reaction score
When and where do those guys hang out?

My dad is full time in Havasu now and could use a good group to wheel with.

Good group?

TCHB know a bunch of them well. I believe the meeting are on Thursdays and they have runs all the time. Really good guys. :thumbup:

TCHB

Reaction score
He should join Havasu 4 Wheelers. They meet once a month on Thursday nights.
I think there is over 400 Jeeps in the club now. Good group of people.

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
He should join Havasu 4 Wheelers. They meet once a month on Thursday nights.
I think there is over 400 Jeeps in the club now. Good group of people.

Post up the details and I will have him head over with you to one of the meets.

SJP

WHTBRD
Reaction score
Cobra CB mounted in glove box and got a cool tech spare tire antenna bracket. Pretty trick. 10-4.

image.jpg

SJP

WHTBRD
Reaction score
Replaced and upgraded some hardware on hood with matching billet. Ordering some more armor for the danas to install next.

image.jpg

SJP

WHTBRD
Reaction score
Went to Cleghorn. Day went well. Did better second time going there.

image.jpg

SJP

WHTBRD
Reaction score
So the stock headlights are documented as being bad. I can confirm they are horrible when driving at night it took a lot to not start flipping Offroad lights on. :D So as you can imagine there are a ton of options from retro, bulb replacements, numerous headlight complete replacement options. I googled imaged and researched - here is what I came up with for this build. JW Speaker 8700 Evo 2 LED lights. Made in USA. Get their anti flicker harness to solve the JK canbus issue. Plug and play 15 minute install. They look and work awesome. :thumbup: The JK throws off a nice BMW light pattern now. :D

image.jpg

Ultra28

Reaction score
So the stock headlights are documented as being bad. I can confirm they are horrible when driving at night it took a lot to not start flipping Offroad lights on. :D So as you can imagine there are a ton of options from retro, bulb replacements, numerous headlight complete replacement options. I googled imaged and researched - here is what I came up with for this build. JW Speaker 8700 Evo 2 LED lights. Made in USA. Get their anti flicker harness to solve the JK canbus issue. Plug and play 15 minute install. They look and work awesome. :thumbup: The JK throws off a nice BMW light pattern now. :D

View attachment 392618

I've been wanting to get those, but was waiting for someone that has them to say if they liked them or not. I really like the look of the JW Speakers.

Singleton

Reaction score
I've been wanting to get those, but was waiting for someone that has them to say if they liked them or not. I really like the look of the JW Speakers.

I went with the Truck-lites. Huge difference over stock

SJP

WHTBRD
Reaction score

I reccomend them. I kind of laughed when taking out the stock units they were light in weight and really flimsy kind of like the stock bumpers. :D The JW Spkr lights were just stout and came packaged like you could tell they were made here. It was weird.

I went with the Truck-lites. Huge difference over stock

Those are really nice units as well. :thumbup:

X2

There both a great upgrade. The jwspeakers do look cool but dang there pricer than the already pricy truck kites lol

Yeah - I hear you - they should make a sku with the anti flicker included or for minimal $ for the price of lights. I shopped eBay for a while to find the set I ended up with. They make a silver or black color option for those thinking of going this direction.

Singleton

Reaction score
The stock headlights are a joke. I have been trying to give mine away (shipping only) on JK forum and no one is jumping at them.

Also I would look into the security screws from off-road elements.

Reactions: SJP

SJP

WHTBRD
Reaction score
2000 mile check. 90 percent of mile on the trail and will give me an idea of where I need to focus additional armor. Changed oil. Have upgrade diff covers I need to install. Figured at this point it is best that I have a lift for this hobby. :D

image.jpg

SJP

WHTBRD
Reaction score
Put these on front / rear today.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Put on these hood latches a friend gave me a few months back. They have been sitting on my bench for a while. Better than the stock plastic ones.

image.jpg

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
Question, installed my 50" light bar today on the JKU. Driving with the front half top off now is frikn annoying with the whistling. Any suggestions? Is it an angle of the light fix? Before the light arrived I drove around with the brackets and there was no whistling, so it's the addition of the light.

SJP

WHTBRD
Reaction score
Question, installed my 50" light bar today on the JKU. Driving with the front half top off now is frikn annoying with the whistling. Any suggestions? Is it an angle of the light fix? Before the light arrived I drove around with the brackets and there was no whistling, so it's the addition of the light.

Did you buy the rigid? Use the rubber isolaters that came with the light.

SJP

WHTBRD
Reaction score
Installed the front. This was definelty more of a technical install than the rear bar. Does not look like it from the pic but required a little coerresion. :D

image.jpg

SJP

WHTBRD
Reaction score
A little while since I updated this thread. Have done some cool mods but today put some trick looking billet CNC handles all the way around. :cool

IMG_0077.jpg

SJP

WHTBRD
Reaction score
A little while since I updated this thread. Have done some cool mods but today put some trick looking billet CNC handles all the way around. :cool

View attachment 580268

Kaotic

Reaction score

View attachment 580268

Where did you get the handles at, and do they burn the crap out of you grabbing them in the Havasu heat? nice Jeep!!

SJP

WHTBRD
Reaction score
Where did you get the handles at, and do they burn the crap out of you grabbing them in the Havasu heat? nice Jeep!!

Appreciate the compliments. The handles and most of the billet on the JK are all from Carolina Metal Masters. They make really nice stuff. Have not had an issue with the bare colored handles inside - have a friend that outfitted his with Black anodized and I would maybe think twice about that in Havasu.