WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

New "EZ SKI TRAINER" for kids...............

Skyskier

skiing Parker since 1960
Reaction score
Spent yesterday afternoon on Canyon Lake with 2 of my grandson's while they were "testing" this new towable water toy for kids, and shooting an instructional/promo video for one of my "boyhood" pals, Danny Churchill. Danny "invented" this one, he also holds the patent on the original "knee ski", the skurfer (wake-board) and several other water apperatus's. I've taught, literaly, 100's of kids to waterski over the years, usually by getting them up with me on a pair of trick skis, holding them up and then stepping around them, but the last 5 years or so, now that I'm O L D :eek: I've been useing one of the "ski boards" the kid stands on while hanging onto a rope/handle with the ski itself tied off to the boat. This has worked out as a great training aid, getting them used to the "feel" of water moving under them, the "pull" of the boat and leaning back against that pull. Once they master the ski board ( about 2 rides ) it's an easy transistion for the little ones to go from being "towed" on the ski board to getting up on a pair of double skis. What I REALLY liked about Danny's ski trainer is that the kid can sit on it which requires NO adult holding them to start off the beach, if/when they fall off it's easy to get back on it, if you rig up a single handle for mom or dad to hang onto in the boat, you just let go of the rope, leaving the ski trainer right there with the kid, make the turn around and get them started again, they don't have to fight getting back into & on the ski trainer.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    235.8 KB · Views: 655
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 638
  • cj 2.jpg
    cj 2.jpg
    292 KB · Views: 633
  • cj 5.jpg
    cj 5.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 631
  • cj 6.jpg
    cj 6.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 624
  • cj 10.jpg
    cj 10.jpg
    284.8 KB · Views: 617
  • cj 11.jpg
    cj 11.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 613

coz

-------------------
Reaction score
Spent yesterday afternoon on Canyon Lake with 2 of my grandson's while they were "testing" this new towable water toy for kids, and shooting an instructional/promo video for one of my "boyhood" pals, Danny Churchill. Danny "invented" this one, he also holds the patent on the original "knee ski", the skurfer (wake-board) and several other water apperatus's. I've taught, literaly, 100's of kids to waterski over the years, usually by getting them up with me on a pair of trick skis, holding them up and then stepping around them, but the last 5 years or so, now that I'm O L D :eek: I've been useing one of the "ski boards" the kid stands on while hanging onto a rope/handle with the ski itself tied off to the boat. This has worked out as a great training aid, getting them used to the "feel" of water moving under them, the "pull" of the boat and leaning back against that pull. Once they master the ski board ( about 2 rides ) it's an easy transistion for the little ones to go from being "towed" on the ski board to getting up on a pair of double skis. What I REALLY liked about Danny's ski trainer is that the kid can sit on it which requires NO adult holding them to start off the beach, if/when they fall off it's easy to get back on it, if you rig up a single handle for mom or dad to hang onto in the boat, you just let go of the rope, leaving the ski trainer right there with the kid, make the turn around and get them started again, they don't have to fight getting back into & on the ski trainer.

Nice job Skyskier :beer is there a let's see the kids thread here? we started my 3 year old grandson wakeboarding and he's tearing it up and I'd like to post some proud grandpappy pics :D

IMG_8346-1.jpg

BTW: My wife's family owned a house in C.L. in the 70's, 80's & 90's and it looks like they have added a few more houses there :eek: looks like the hills are covered in tracts :(

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
That thing is cool!! :) Seems so obvious now that it's already done.. LOL

RD

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Nice job Skyskier :beer is there a let's see the kids thread here? we started my 3 year old grandson wakeboarding and he's tearing it up and I'd like to post some proud grandpappy pics :D

IMG_8346-1.jpg

BTW: My wife's family owned a house in C.L. in the 70's, 80's & 90's and it looks like they have added a few more houses there :eek: looks like the hills are covered in tracts :(

The whole board is a "lets see the kids thread here" :D

I like river pics.. Kind of the whole point behind this place. :) Feel free to start a thread! :)

RD

Skyskier

skiing Parker since 1960
Reaction score
:D :thumbsup kudos to you "gramps" NEVER too young to start 'em out :D
I was riding in the other boat telling Hal I used to ride dirt bikes around "Railroad Canyon Lake" back in the '60's before they started building all the houses:eek: I think a lakefront lot could be had for under $5,000 back then, .................I SHOULDA ......................oh, never mind :(

Skyskier

skiing Parker since 1960
Reaction score
Well how about it Dave, got any pics of you when YOU were a kid :eek:

AzLakeLizard

Ride on the Rough Side
Reaction score
What a GREAT idea! and look at their faces! They are having a blast!

Shoot... maybe I could learn to waterski/wakeboard one of these days... :rolleyes: :point ;)

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Well how about it Dave, got any pics of you when YOU were a kid :eek:

Funny you should mention that.. Got mom and pops getting them all out so I can have them scanned and upload them into the "reflections" area of the site. :) It'll be awhile yet.. I still have another Schiada gallery to upload, 2 videos I'm working on, B-day party galleries to upload, etc.. etc.. Plus the store front, shirts, other products i'm workin on.

Freakin site keeps me pretty busy now that I think about it.. LOL

RD

coz

-------------------
Reaction score
:D :thumbsup kudos to you "gramps" NEVER too young to start 'em out :D
I was riding in the other boat telling Hal I used to ride dirt bikes around "Railroad Canyon Lake" back in the '60's before they started building all the houses:eek: I think a lakefront lot could be had for under $5,000 back then, .................I SHOULDA ......................oh, never mind :(

We use to push our bikes to the back gate and once you were out you could ride to Elsinore or Corona if you wanted to. No Mas! :beer

BTW: Kudos right back at ya!

Last edited:

coz

-------------------
Reaction score
Funny you should mention that.. Got mom and pops getting them all out so I can have them scanned and upload them into the "reflections" area of the site. :) It'll be awhile yet.. I still have another Schiada gallery to upload, 2 videos I'm working on, B-day party galleries to upload, etc.. etc.. Plus the store front, shirts, other products i'm workin on.

Freakin site keeps me pretty busy now that I think about it.. LOL

RD

I just had my mom go through the "Mom's Archive" and found a bunch of 80's stuff and I posted a couple in the reflections area with more coming :beer

SBjet

El Presidente for Life
Reaction score
I like that, looks like it would work better than the wooden one I bought.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I just had my mom go through the "Mom's Archive" and found a bunch of 80's stuff and I posted a couple in the reflections area with more coming :beer

Looking forward to seeing them!

RD

Cole Trickle

Reaction score

IMG_8346-1.jpg

Thats awesome!!!

Is the 3 year old willing to give me wakeboarding lessons?:beer:D

Skyskier

skiing Parker since 1960
Reaction score
I like that, looks like it would work better than the wooden one I bought.
One like this ? This is the 3rd one I've bought in the last 4 years, they seem to "de-laminate at the nose after a year or two. This new one is a solid board like this one, BUT it's "wrapped" in vinyl, NO wood exposed. Looks like it should last a lot longer. One other "downside" to the ones like in this pic are the fact that the kid has to sit in the water, which in itself no big deal IF the waters is NOT cold :eek: I was up in Idaho last month and couldn't get my 4 & 6 year old nephews to get on it.

Attachments

• Lake House 046.jpg
    Lake House 046.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 722

lakebound

Reaction score
Sooo where does one get one of these ski-trainers?
My boy is turning 5 this weekend and by looks of it he is already behind.:D

Skyskier

skiing Parker since 1960
Reaction score

These should be on the market by December, available from Overtons. As time goes on I'll repost any AND all new info on it. Don't fret your 5 year old being behind, he'll be up to speed in the 1st 5 minutes he's on this, and probably ready to try the double skis by end of the day :D:thumbsup

Skyskier

skiing Parker since 1960
Reaction score

Here ya go Lakebound :D On the market as of now :thumbsup click on the "5mb video " on this page, that's my grandson flashing the thumbsup sign and towards the end, that's him again falling out of it :cool: I'm working on a "RDP" special price for these, don't know if I can get much of a break, but I'll pass along any discounts I can get :thumbsup

http://www.overtons.com/modperl/pro...Z_SKI_Trainer&merchID=1008&str=ez ski trainer

Skyskier

skiing Parker since 1960
Reaction score
I will be at the river this weekend, with one still in the box, if not this weekend, PM me, I'll make arrangements to have them sent up with my kids. There's a short video of the kids riding this at http://www.overtons.com/modperl/pro...Z_SKI_Trainer&merchID=1008&str=ez ski trainer

I bought 6 of these from the manufacturer before they hit the market, once they're gone, I don't know if I'll be able to get anymore. PM me for pricing & shipping details if you are not in Parker on a regular basis.

Last edited:

musicFunsun

I Love BoBo!!!
Reaction score
That is so cool!! Wish they had that back in my day. All I remember of trying to ski was everyone telling me what to do and getting a big mouth full of water!!! But I vaguely those few minutes I was up were kinda fun!

coz

-------------------
Reaction score
Here ya go Lakebound :D On the market as of now :thumbsup click on the "5mb video " on this page, that's my grandson flashing the thumbsup sign and towards the end, that's him again falling out of it :cool: I'm working on a "RDP" special price for these, don't know if I can get much of a break, but I'll pass along any discounts I can get :thumbsup

http://www.overtons.com/modperl/pro...Z_SKI_Trainer&merchID=1008&str=ez ski trainer

Those kids are lucky :thumbsup riding on canyon lake behind a MasterCraft :thumbsup what more could you possibly ask for? :champagne:

Cool vid D :thumbsup :D

Skyskier

skiing Parker since 1960
Reaction score
Those kids are lucky :thumbsup riding on canyon lake behind a MasterCraft :thumbsup what more could you possibly ask for? :champagne:

Cool vid D :thumbsup :D

Boat being driven by Mike Murphy, observer Danny Churchill ( invented the EZ ski trainer, the knee-ski, the skurfer, and the wakeboard ) and Skyskier tagging alongside in a "chase/photo boat. :D between the 3 of us, 175 + years of waterskiing expierence :eek::eek: ............. Dayummmm ! we are O L D :hmm :cool:

coz

-------------------
Reaction score
Boat being driven by Mike Murphy, observer Danny Churchill ( invented the EZ ski trainer, the knee-ski, the skurfer, and the wakeboard ) and Skyskier tagging alongside in a "chase/photo boat. :D between the 3 of us, 175 + years of waterskiing expierence :eek::eek: ............. Dayummmm ! we are O L D :hmm :cool:

If there's any chance of me getting in that boat with you guys, you'd be my hero. I was just looking at my old skurfer last weekend :D and noticed the rubber tip had disintegrated over the years :hmm that thing hasn't been used since the 80's :D You got cool friends :thumbsup

Skyskier

skiing Parker since 1960
Reaction score
If there's any chance of me getting in that boat with you guys, you'd be my hero. I was just looking at my old skurfer last weekend :D and noticed the rubber tip had disintegrated over the years :hmm that thing hasn't been used since the 80's :D You got cool friends :thumbsup

The real story behind "The Skurfer". Danny was working for a sports equip. co. doing R&D and came up with the skurfer. He takes it into the board members an tells them, "this is what I have thus far, BUT, I think we should square off the nose & tail, and put more of a "boot" type binding on it " that could be adjustable for right OR left foot forward, etc.,etc.,etc. unfortuneately, the suit & tie guy's were in a BIG HURRY to get to market with it as it was and they poo-pooed that idea ,and decided to run with the skurfer. Before Danny could re-group and patent the wakeboard, somebody beat him to it. I've been trying to get Danny & Mike together on the same week to come to Parker, if I pull it off this year , count on me calling you. I'm gonna tell them "WE" have a tournament boat already up at the dam ?

Last edited:

Wheeler

I'm just here to bitch about others negativity.😁
Reaction score
Hey Sky Skier! do you have the photo of Danny Churchill's mishap with the riser line of the parachute? I am sure the old magazine copy I had is long gone, an interesting picture for sure. :(

Skyskier

skiing Parker since 1960
Reaction score
Hey Sky Skier! do you have the photo of Danny Churchill's mishap with the riser line of the parachute? I am sure the old magazine copy I had is long gone, an interesting picture for sure. :(

No, I don't, but as you know, it was pretty gory :eek: when we went up to the hospital to see him the day after, it was pretty much 50/50 as to whether or not he was gonna make it . I can't remember who was pulling him, I wanna say Barry McGowan behind "Banzai" ?

Skyskier

skiing Parker since 1960
Reaction score
I'm gonna be in Parker next thursday,........delivering one of these to Tamalewagon at Buckskin. IF anybody else is gonna be there an want's one of these I can save you another $12 to $15 shipping charges, depending where you live. PM me & let me know, I'll be picking them up this weekend, or you can call me @ (951) 440 6584

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
It's a great way to get them started.
Gives them a head for being towed.

Skyskier

skiing Parker since 1960
Reaction score
It's a great way to get them started.
Gives them a head for being towed.

I just pm's "numbersguy", he got one right before I left for Idaho, asked him if he had any pics :D hopefuly he'll be posting some up :thumbsup

Skyskier

skiing Parker since 1960
Reaction score
These should be on the market by December, available from Overtons. As time goes on I'll repost any AND all new info on it. Don't fret your 5 year old being behind, he'll be up to speed in the 1st 5 minutes he's on this, and probably ready to try the double skis by end of the day :D:thumbsup

This is my 4 year old "nephew" Kamden Wright, he's been going to the river since birth :thumbsup ......so being around boats & all the rest of my "kids" this was really a no brainer. By the end of the day, IF I'da had a wakeboard with smaller bindings, we woulda had him up & going. It was funny, we were all chillin on the beach after pulling him around on the EZ ski trainer, I looked over an he was in the water trying to get on this wakeboard :D:thumbsup I'm telling you, he WAS ready to go !!:D

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    253.6 KB · Views: 139
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    236.5 KB · Views: 136
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    268.4 KB · Views: 136
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg