WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Yep, I'm done.

Ultra28

Reaction score
Not with RDP, just with the boating business. A lot of speculation has been going around. So I will confirm that I have decided to shift my focus away from the boating industry. Ultra Boats will still be available from Ultra Performance Center (Mike Harlan) and Inland Ultra Boats (John D). I will still help out with some designs and sales every now and then, but I won't be invloved with the day to day operations. The economy hit us hard these last couple of years and the sales aren't strong enough to justify me trying to use this to support my family any longer. Lately it's been my family supporting Ultra and it should be the other way around. I'm also just burnt out. I want to spend more time with my wife and kids.

I've met many of you over the years. From the very first OP6C to hanging in the channel. I've made a lot of friendships that I'm sure will last for the rest of my life. I'll drop in on the forums from time to time, but lately I've been fully focused on other things just getting things going for the next chapter in my life. I'm sure I'll still see many of you at the river and lake.

Thanks

John West

Director...
Reaction score
Well...that sux.....:(....I have always liked your boats John.....Best of luck on your future endeavors....:thumbsup

WTMFA

Kill Em All
Reaction score
WOW:eek:
Good luck to you in your future endeavors:thumbsup:beer

BarryMac

An Adelanto 9...
Reaction score
Really sorry to read this John, Ultra Boats have always been one of my favorites, you created a quality product. Best of luck to you and the family on the future endeavours. We need to hit the links soon and if you're ever in Martinez give me a call, would be cool to hang with you guys for a weekend... :thumbsup

OGShocker

Lion Hunter
Reaction score
I never really like that fuggin Republican anyway!:D j/k

John,

When I was working the marketing for Dana Boats, you NEVER treated me as a competitor. You were as cool and as kind as anyone I have ever met. Losing you from the boating world will be a loss for us all.

We hope and pray your future endeavours will bring you great success.

See you at the Lake,

Mark

PS. I bet this will be a VERY long thread!

Cigalert

Banned
Reaction score
Sorry to hear this but it's completely understandable. Best of luck to you Johnny dub.

Sleeper CP

Reaction score
Wishing you all the best John.

Good luck

Sleeper CP

Jon

Wmc

The Mayor
Reaction score
There is alot of people starting new chapter in their lifes. GoodLuck and Family does come first. That what I found out....:)

boatnam2

Reaction score
Since i bought a new ultra in 1993 i have always loved the boat and feel the company was at its all time best when you took over(i know not to great of a comparision to jerry/carter) lol.Good luck to you and your family in the future and with your new endeavor.

Last edited:

whipped565

Reaction score
Wow John, hope all gos well for you and your family!! If you need anything let me know.

Mark

RitcheyRch

Currently Boat-Less
Reaction score
Sorry to hear this and wish you the best of luck. Am sure you will do fine with whatever it is you decide to do.

RandyH

Huge Member
Reaction score
John, thanks for everything. And thanks for building me a rock solid custom boat. Just the way I wanted it.

Stay in touch. :beer

RandyH

Dan Lorenze

Reaction score
You're top notch in my book John.... Hope to see you down the road...

Thanks for building my boat, loved it....

Andy01

Reaction score
Congrats John. Best of luck in moving forward.
Very tough times for many right now, if you sell, finance, insure or anything to do with boats and/or toys in general it is tough. Many of us that have made money in the boating market are having a tough time.

Andy

djunkie

Broke mo fo
Reaction score
Take care of you and yours John. Your a great guy and will do well with whatever you do. Please don't be a stranger though. We enjoy you being around and being apart of this community. :thumbsup
________
Montana Marijuana Dispensary

Last edited:

PVHCA

Reaction score
John good luck with your next endeavor, with your track record you will be fine.

Thanks for an explanantion that you didn't owe! Classy!!

YoPengo

Inmate #47
Reaction score
Id buy you a beer anytime my friend. I wish for happiness for you and your family. Thank you for what you have done for the industry we all love.

Hope to see on the water soon. :beer

~ John

BadBlown572

A/B Team Liaison
Reaction score
John, good luck in any future endeavors you may persue. :thumbsup - Danny

Tom Brown

Epsilon contributor
Reaction score
You have my very best wishes with whatever you do, John. :thumbsup

:)

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
John, I'm happy to hear that you'll be getting to spend more time with the family. Obviously I'm sad to see that you won't be "hands on" at Ultra anymore, but I expect our phone conversations will continue on the same either way.. LOL

In any event, let me know what ever I can do to help. You know I'll be there.

RD

KineticoH20

Reaction score
John allot of us have jobs or careers that are just that, but you my friend have a legacy. Every trip to the river,mead, mojave,parker has John West stamp on it as there are always beautiful Ultra's to see including mine;) You should be damn proud of what you have created because it will last a generation. Kudos to you my friend:beer

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
Nothing but well wishes to you and your family John....:thumbsup

Lue

Banned
Reaction score
Man, I'm sorry to hear these news. Best of luck in the next chapter of your life. :thumbsup

Froggystyle

Reaction score
Best of luck John. You hit the nail on the head when you said "sales aren't strong" and in many ways, I feel much the same way about supporting the business instead of the other way around.

I am sure you will excel at whatever you set your mind to.

Tamalewagon

Little Buddy
Reaction score
Good Luck John. Hopefully you will stay in and/or around the boating community. You're a good man Charlie Brown. :thumbsup

spectras only

Reaction score
John , my son and I've met you briefly a couple of times only and we felt right away that you're a sincere person. Wish you the best in your future endeavour what ever it's going to be.

Member: 71

M ǝ ɯ q ǝ ɹ : 7 1
Reaction score
Enjoy your time with the family, in the end thats what counts.

Got to admit, you did some amazing work with gelcoat and graphics many often tried to reproduce with limited success.:beer

XtrmWakeborder

Bean Counter
Reaction score
Wow.. you are a huge loss to the boating industry. It's just a job though, and there are way more important things in life. Best of luck:thumbsup

ROZ

Reaction score
I want to echo what others have said about Ultra's mark in the custom boating industry. I've admired the lines and gel work of your custom creations for years, and I believe you will do well in whatever opportunity you create.

I wish you the best, Good Luck!

Chris

Outdrive1

Outdrive1 Marine Sales https://www.outdrive1.com/
Reaction score
Thanks for the sweet ride John. Good luck moving foward,
Paul.

Skee

Unknown Member
Reaction score
An incredible work of art/machinery and enjoyment will be missed! Enjoy the ones you have and I wish you all the best! :beer I'm sure whatever you do will be successful and enjoy the time with your family,you can not get that back,so dig it while you can! :) :D :thumbsup

Snake

Wheelie pullin grandpa
Reaction score
Good luck John. See you out there man.

GrapeApe

Very Large Member
Reaction score
Hey John,

Thanks for Building Greg & I two of the Nicest Boats that where on the Lower River. As a few have stated, you have created a legacy, and your creations will last a generation. I wish you all the Success in your new endeavors, and will look forward to seeing you around soon.. :beer

Jeff "Grape Ape" Brady

VoodooMedMan

Inmate #446
Reaction score
I said all the sappy crap on the other site.

Soooooooooooooooo. Make sure you make up for all those lost nooners. :D

HavasuHank

"B" team gardener
Reaction score
john,

follow what you believe is right. good luck with all your future endeavors. always put your family first.:thumbsup:beer

hank

gigamurph

Reaction score
Don't think I need to wish you anymore "Good Lucks" since everyone else has ya covered in that dept. Besides; ever since the first time we "talked" over on Hot Boat forums many years ago, you've seemed to be the kind of guy who makes his own "good luck". May you continue to do so in the future.:thumbsup

wedge45

Reaction score
Wow...john best of luck, I remember when I first met you, you had great things to say, you even really liked my first Ultra, the pink and purple 19.6 jet, you wanted me to sell to you and you wanted to build me another., that was in Pomona before you bought the company.....I gave you that oppurtunity in 2003...thank you, you Leah always treated my kids and I great, and you passed that on to Big John D., you sent to him and I appreciated it, I was saddened to hear it from John at the boat show yesterday, but carry on, you will succeed, And of course my best to john d. may he not fail and keep a great tradition and boat company alive....to Big John D. remember It's the personnel touch that seperates you from your competetion:D:D:D

John and Leah, last year we lost everthing big house (horrible loan)and such, but we still have each other and we still have our boat, boating keeps our family united....Wedge 45 (Danny,Tracey,Tristan,Emma,& Dillon):D:D:D

Jefftowz

Formerly Old School Ultra
Reaction score
John.

Sorry to hear about you leaving, You and your crew have made a amazing name for yourselfs in the boating world,

Take care of yourself & your family! :beer