WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

fast run to catalina in a 20' Stoker

Jackpunx

Reaction score
So (Local399) Rem and I are gonna take the 20.4 to catalina this week.. Ive been on a jet ski once (with out any planning) and done it on some big cats a number of times..
I think it should be fun.. we are looking for an adventure and if it works out well.. maybe start racing it in the ocean..
so we have a small list of things
cell phone
money
gps
food
ropes
warm clothes
life jackets
flair kit

anything Im not thinking of?
remember its a small boat..lol

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Chase boat?

What day this week? Maybe i can get a chase boat for you..

RD

Jackpunx

Reaction score
oh.. and if anyone wants to ski there.. bring a big ski and a long rope!..:D

djunkie

Broke mo fo
Reaction score
Marine radio. And contact channel for vessel assist/coast guard. Have fun. We used to cruise my buddy's 16 foot Boston Whaler out there all the time.
________
Er-5

Last edited:

LhcBrad

Reaction score
I would bring a gallon of fresh water. It looks like you should be ok just pick the right day

RitcheyRch

Currently Boat-Less
Reaction score
Guess you are already packing some HUGE focking balls. :D

YoPengo

Inmate #47
Reaction score
No Fukking way would I run that in a 20 footer.... Not me.

<<<< Chicken Shit.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
No Fukking way would I run that in a 20 footer.... Not me.

<<<< Chicken Shit.

you know that people used to run over there in 16 - 18' flat bottoms right? And pull skiers racing doing it.. ;)

RD

YoPengo

Inmate #47
Reaction score
you know that people used to run over there in 16 - 18' flat bottoms right? And pull skiers racing doing it.. ;)

RD

Yep..But ive been out there in some big rollers in a 24 footer and its just not my dealio…

<<<< Lake Lover. :D

stokerwhore

aka bordsmnj
Reaction score
just rember you do NOT want to be caught out there in the afternoon....afternoon trades can be brutal.

Jackpunx

Reaction score
cool.. we are probably getting a waterproof radio as a back up plan.. although Im not sure we'll need it..
The water looks good and we'll be leaving a little after day break to get us back before 11

I think it should be a good time .. we got the helmet cams to mount on the bow..
Im looking forward to this..
Dave .. are you guys coming with the big boat?

RitcheyRch

Currently Boat-Less
Reaction score
I will wait for the video. Thanks for the invite though. :D

Thats some sig line material right there. :D :D

mine are big enough for both of us.. wanna come?:D

Last edited:

stokerwhore

aka bordsmnj
Reaction score
its the same site that told me jalama would be big and juicy so its not always 100% reliable. for open water its probably more reliable....

stokerwhore

aka bordsmnj
Reaction score
what day are to 2 planning on pulling off these shinannigins???

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
cool.. we are probably getting a waterproof radio as a back up plan.. although Im not sure we'll need it..
The water looks good and we'll be leaving a little after day break to get us back before 11

I think it should be a good time .. we got the helmet cams to mount on the bow..
Im looking forward to this..
Dave .. are you guys coming with the big boat?

Dunno yet.. Haven't heard back.. I doubt it though.

RD

obnoxious001

Engine building character
Reaction score
oh.. and if anyone wants to ski there.. bring a big ski and a long rope!..:D

It would probably be a short ski and short rope, unless you guys are planning on setting records. I wouldn't mind going for fun if there is room, I have driven 21' Schiadas over there at race speeds, as well as riding in 19-22' boats plenty of times. The last few times I observed in the race I was lucky enough to be in big boats, although you end up having to stand up in them!

OCMerrill

All in...
Reaction score
Come back before the afternoon rollers, your all good. :thumbsup

BajaMike

Reaction score
Marine radio. And contact channel for vessel assist/coast guard. Have fun. We used to cruise my buddy's 16 foot Boston Whaler out there all the time.

Yea, you got to have a marine radio.

Could be a long......long ride in a 20' boat if it gets rough.:headscratch:

whiteworks

Custom Shutters by WhiteWorks
Reaction score
Should be a kick in the ass. I would have someone on land that knows what your doing, where you launched, what time, where your going, what time you will be back. Maybe check in when you hit the Island and then when you return. If no contact by a certain time then the coast gaurd gets called and comes and gets your ass. should be cool but lets say you lose power and then are sitting out and the winds pick up, Basically your fucked with 10" of freeboard. My insurance wont cover my Stoker in the ocean, something to think about.

SKIA36

Reaction score
I've done it plenty of times in 18' flats and 20' outboards(Baker/Stoker)

Life jackets/radio a must! I hope you know how to drive in big water...

...and btw, if its a fast ride, it will be a short ride and a long float.

Just Electric

freway offramp panhandler
Reaction score
im off the whole week and no phone call on this adventure. awite then i understand you still hurt about your bday gift :D

steamin rice

No Bad Days....
Reaction score
Looks like people have it pretty much covered - Bring a marine radio, know how to contact vessel assist if necessary, and have someone on the mainland who you keep in touch with along the way - There's cell phone coverage pretty much all the way between the coast and the island, so just check in with someone when you get to the island and check in with them again on your way back.

Just use some common sense and don't force it if things aren't going right.

I'd add an anchor and a long line to your list in case you lose power where the water's not too deep and you want to stop from drifting.

Chances are you'll have no problems, it's really not that big of a deal getting to Catalina as long as you have some sense - you might as well get a mooring and cruise around Avalon for a little while - The Pier burgers are pretty good. Take some pics and have fun.

obnoxious001

Engine building character
Reaction score

Life jackets/radio a must! I hope you know how to drive in big water...

...and btw, if its a fast ride, it will be a short ride and a long float.

I may be signed up to go along, since I have done it before.

Jackpunx

Reaction score

I hope you know how to drive in big water...

I hope so too...

Ive played in the ocean a bunch.. mostly on bigger boats... I learned how to ski in the ocean in a 15' boston whaler. Ive had a stoker for 9 yrs and familiar to how it would act in most situations..

in all honesty.. im not sure how fast the run is going to be.. I sold the boat to my buddy and we'll be sharing the drive out there..
its more for fun and the adventure of it.. I don't see it being that big of a deal as long as we have communication and life jackets

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Take lots of pictures Mark!! :)

On a side note... ;) the 21 Schiada River Tunnel was invented for this exact trip.. ;) LOL

RD

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I don't have a river tunnel?

quite honestly I was very close to bringing it home and trying to pull a skier in the race! LOL

I just don't have the scratch rigth now..

RD

Andy01

Reaction score
Piece of cake, you guys will have a blast. Just remember if you enter the water out there you become part of the food chain!!!:thumbsdown.

If you guys go out that early you'll be fine. I think you will have a blast!

What happen with Dave offering a support boat???

Andy

D

Deleted Account

I've been there about 22 times in a Schiada, and another 50+ times in a big rig. The big rig always wins LOL. Otherwise once you flush the 20-21 dealio, head for your favorite chiropractor...:D:thumbsup

Jackpunx

Reaction score
I remember when he sold the yellow 20 footer.

well.. its been re sold.. the guy I sold it to was not a responsible driver as I got got calls from all over the place asking me why this ass hole was driving my boat...
and it didnt help that he stopped making the payments..
so Im proud to say that my buddies got it now.. He's a very responsible boater.. If you guys see him out there pull him over and steel his beer..LOL
tell him I said it was ok.. LMAO

the boat is here .. getting motivated to hook up to my boat, move it, pull his boat out,, hook back up to my boat and put it back.. then hook up to his boat and head down to long beach..loll
damm.. I got tired just writing that down..
BARRY...
wake up!.. Here I come..
we'll give you guys a good report when its all over

RitcheyRch

Currently Boat-Less
Reaction score
Glad to hear is going to another good owner. When are you doing the Catalina run?

well.. its been re sold.. the guy I sold it to was not a responsible driver as I got got calls from all over the place asking me why this ass hole was driving my boat...
and it didnt help that he stopped making the payments..
so Im proud to say that my buddies got it now.. He's a very responsible boater.. If you guys see him out there pull him over and steel his beer..LOL
tell him I said it was ok.. LMAO

the boat is here .. getting motivated to hook up to my boat, move it, pull his boat out,, hook back up to my boat and put it back.. then hook up to his boat and head down to long beach..loll
damm.. I got tired just writing that down..
BARRY...
wake up!.. Here I come..
we'll give you guys a good report when its all over

RitcheyRch

Currently Boat-Less
Reaction score
Good luck. My buddy Randy, that has done the Catalina Ski Race said that an early morning jaunt out there will be smooth as glass and kind of boring. :D :D :D

Im all hooked up and getting ready to head down to long beach for a early morning departure

Local399

Reaction score
We made the trip with no problems really. But it was HAIRBALL for sure. Mark will chime in with his comments too, but I feel pretty proud for that one. We got a little later start than we wanted (coffee comes FIRST). There were a few folks at the ramp looking at us kinda strange then one group asked Mark what we up to...he told them and I as I walked by them they were muttering shit under their breath and singing "farewell to thee"...Kinda funny really.

We launched and putted through the harbor and towards the sea...as we got into the ocean (still behind the sea wall) the waves really picked up (2-4 feet from tip to trough) with some wind chop on top. Lots of water in the face and a pretty slow ride (low 30s to mid 20 mph), There were lots of holes and water snakes that wanted to grab us. We pushed it a little and got to the big boats (cargo ships) and it was just too rough. So with our tails tucked we came back.

We cut North and headed through the Seal Beach area then to the Queen Mary and for whatever reason sorta followed our noses back out to sea. We pushed passed the breakwater and things were better here than before. We said at 8:00 am we would make our decision to press or not. Well 8:00 came and went and we really never made the choice one way or the other...we just kept going.

The gps was guiding us perfectly as we could not see the island or any lang for that matter. We stopped once to piss and the current was so strong that with the boat at idle in gear we still lost several hundred yards...it was NUTS. The water was big (FUCK THE INTERNET...DO NOT believe a thing you read on the internet)...factoring out the highs and the lows on the gps we were -5 to 6 feet of water (I know this is not an accurate measure, but the best we have). There was a strange glassy looking spot about 3 miles from Catalina that we thought we could hammer through, but it just did not have wind chop on it...the waves and holes were still there just hard to see them.

We pull into the Avalon and get some strange looks...the harbor patrol tells we better fuel up and get back as it is gona get worse soon. The Life Guards say we were "brave" to be out there, but we knew they meant "STOOOOPID". So we fuel up and head back.

I was already a little sore and the ride home was starting to look worse. About half way home the waves were unreal. At times it was like we were on the crest of a house with 10-12 foot drop on either side then an instant later we were in a 10 foot hole. I could see the line through the wave, but every once in a while the line would close out and we would just get hammered. I kept my mouth shut for fear of bitting my tongue off. Sever time the bow of the boat was below the waves and breaking through, but with a slight bit more speed we would have buried the nose and taken on water. Even at high 20 mph speeds there were several times we were airborne for 2-3 seconds. We would ride up a big wave then hit a 2 foot wind chop at the top and get launched into the trough. It was brutal for sure. The bow spent so much time in the water the registration stickers washed off the boat.

We got back to the break water, hugged in a totally gay way and laughed our asses off. It was really pretty gnarly and I learned a bunch. I would go again in a minute (in someone elses boat) LOL! :D

I am trying to post some video and will link to as soon as I do. We had some battery issues and the really nasty stuff was not filmed...:(...but when I go in your (any volenteers) I will have the camera sorted out.

Jackpunx

Reaction score
We made the trip with no problems really. But it was HAIRBALL for sure. Mark will chime in with his comments too, but I feel pretty proud for that one. We got a little later start than we wanted (coffee comes FIRST). There were a few folks at the ramp looking at us kinda strange then one group asked Mark what we up to...he told them and I as I walked by them they were muttering shit under their breath and singing "farewell to thee"...Kinda funny really.

We launched and putted through the harbor and towards the sea...as we got into the ocean (still behind the sea wall) the waves really picked up (2-4 feet from tip to trough) with some wind chop on top. Lots of water in the face and a pretty slow ride (low 30s to mid 20 mph), There were lots of holes and water snakes that wanted to grab us. We pushed it a little and got to the big boats (cargo ships) and it was just too rough. So with our tails tucked we came back.

We cut North and headed through the Seal Beach area then to the Queen Mary and for whatever reason sorta followed our noses back out to sea. We pushed passed the breakwater and things were better here than before. We said at 8:00 am we would make our decision to press or not. Well 8:00 came and went and we really never made the choice one way or the other...we just kept going.

The gps was guiding us perfectly as we could not see the island or any lang for that matter. We stopped once to piss and the current was so strong that with the boat at idle in gear we still lost several hundred yards...it was NUTS. The water was big (FUCK THE INTERNET...DO NOT believe a thing you read on the internet)...factoring out the highs and the lows on the gps we were -5 to 6 feet of water (I know this is not an accurate measure, but the best we have). There was a strange glassy looking spot about 3 miles from Catalina that we thought we could hammer through, but it just did not have wind chop on it...the waves and holes were still there just hard to see them.

We pull into the Avalon and get some strange looks...the harbor patrol tells we better fuel up and get back as it is gona get worse soon. The Life Guards say we were "brave" to be out there, but we knew they meant "STOOOOPID". So we fuel up and head back.

I was already a little sore and the ride home was starting to look worse. About half way home the waves were unreal. At times it was like we were on the crest of a house with 10-12 foot drop on either side then an instant later we were in a 10 foot hole. I could see the line through the wave, but every once in a while the line would close out and we would just get hammered. I kept my mouth shut for fear of bitting my tongue off. Sever time the bow of the boat was below the waves and breaking through, but with a slight bit more speed we would have buried the nose and taken on water. Even at high 20 mph speeds there were several times we were airborne for 2-3 seconds. We would ride up a big wave then hit a 2 foot wind chop at the top and get launched into the trough. It was brutal for sure. The bow spent so much time in the water the registration stickers washed off the boat.

We got back to the break water, hugged in a totally gay way and laughed our asses off. It was really pretty gnarly and I learned a bunch. I would go again in a minute (in someone elses boat) LOL! :D

I am trying to post some video and will link to as soon as I do. We had some battery issues and the really nasty stuff was not filmed...:(...but when I go in your (any volenteers) I will have the camera sorted out.

well said.. I do remember at one point on the way out there (before the water got big).. saying or thinking .. not sure at this point.. "We need a bigger boat"!:thumbsup:D
today I feel about an inch shorter and like I tried to jump a tank off a bridge... wow... 40 is not treating me well today...lol

gqchris

Reaction score
well said.. I do remember at one point on the way out there (before the water got big).. saying or thinking .. not sure at this point.. "We need a bigger boat"!:thumbsup:D
today I feel about an inch shorter and like I tried to jump a tank off a bridge... wow... 40 is not treating me well today...lol

I know that in my 30 foot cabin cruiser, that crossing sometimes makes me feel like a Mini Schiada! :D

Al3x

Reaction score
I'll keep checking back for pic's or the video