WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Home Entertainment Wiring Guru Needed

Instigator

Just Livin up to My Name
Reaction score
So who here is the Home Entertainment Wiring Guru? I am looking to purchase some missing components for a house we bought and the old owner took some of the needed parts.
I am most interested in HMDI Extenders with IR Transmitters over Cat 5 Cable.

muxlab 500405

Anyone knows about this stuff or know where to buy it?

Tom Brown

Epsilon contributor
Reaction score
What's to wire? It sounds like the Cat5e is already there. Those media converters should be plug and play.

Am I missing something? If you need help in the Cat5e space, I'll try to help. I know my way around EIA568a and b pretty well.

Instigator

Just Livin up to My Name
Reaction score
What's to wire? It sounds like the Cat5e is already there. Those media converters should be plug and play.

Am I missing something? If you need help in the Cat5e space, I'll try to help. I know my way around EIA568a and b pretty well.

Where can I buy them and do they Support 1080P with the IR Controls over 2 cat 5 cables?

Tom Brown

Epsilon contributor
Reaction score
Where can I buy them and do they Support 1080P with the IR Controls over 2 cat 5 cables?

Answer 1: dunno
Answer 2: Yes but only to 150' on Cat5e (90' with deep color), according to that link you posted

From Google (I didn't shop for the best price):

http://www.markertek.com/CATV-Heade...DMI-Over-CAT5-Systems/MuxLab-Inc/500405.xhtml

If you care about price and aren't married to Muxlab, here's what I found on PriceGrabber.com:

http://computers.pricegrabber.com/c...l/search=hdmi+ir+extender/st=product/sv=image

Tom Brown

Epsilon contributor
Reaction score
That Siig product has been discontinued. It might be OK. I'm not familiar with it.

I'm not familiar with this product, either:

http://www.siig.com/ViewProduct.aspx?pn=CE-H20F11-S1

You can look at the specs to see if it's what you want. It works with a single Cat5e. You can use the second for IR repeaters. IR repeaters are extremely cheap and simple to hook up.

Lots of options.

Seamonkeys

Reaction score
Is is HDMI 1.2 or 1.3 and what is the distance you are trying to extend?

Instigator

Just Livin up to My Name
Reaction score
What is the difference between Cat5, Cat5e and Cat6 ? I think that my house is wired with Cat5 or Cat5e. Do you know the Difference between Active Baluns and Passive Baluns?
I'm trying to learn about all this stuff so I can put it all back together. The house has a Structured Media Panel in the office and a Seperate Media Component Rack in a seperate room. Each room has (2) Coax Cables and (2) Cat 5 cables at 2 locations in each room and a seperate single gang box with an On-Q controller for Audio and speaker volume and IR Remote control.

The house seems to be wired for alot of different options but I have to figure out how it all works together before I start buying Baluns at 300.00 a pair considering I would need 10 or more.:confused:

Seamonkeys

Reaction score

I can get you an extender for HDMI 1.3 for $225.00. Uses 2 cat5 for 1080P for 130 feet.

Just let me know.

Gary

Instigator

Just Livin up to My Name
Reaction score
Is is HDMI 1.2 or 1.3 and what is the distance you are trying to extend?
I don't know. Is it the Plasma TV's or the Sat. Reciever that determines 1.2 or 1.3 and what are the differences?
As far as the distances, I really can only guess as I can't see how the cabling is ran behind the walls or thru the ceiling as it is a Territorial Style house with Flat Roof and no attic space but my gues would be no more than 150 feet per run.

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
What is the difference between Cat5, Cat5e and Cat6 ? I think that my house is wired with Cat5 or Cat5e. Do you know the Difference between Active Baluns and Passive Baluns?
I'm trying to learn about all this stuff so I can put it all back together. The house has a Structured Media Panel in the office and a Seperate Media Component Rack in a seperate room. Each room has (2) Coax Cables and (2) Cat 5 cables at 2 locations in each room and a seperate single gang box with an On-Q controller for Audio and speaker volume and IR Remote control.

The house seems to be wired for alot of different options but I have to figure out how it all works together before I start buying Baluns at 300.00 a pair considering I would need 10 or more.:confused:

When i was fresh outta school i worked for a surveillance company, we used to use Baluns to convert coax video signal so it could run over twisted pair. I would imagine that active baluns require a power supply, passive ones don't... Not sure as to the benefits of active ones except maybe an extended range?

DaveH

Reaction score
PM sent

What is the difference between Cat5, Cat5e and Cat6

that is a bsic ethernet standard. general rule of thumb is cat 5 is good for 100mb/sec up to a certain distance, cat6 is for gigE (1000mb/sec). I forget what the rating is for 5e.

there are many various hdmi converters/extenders. It boils down to what cable you have, the lenght and the resoltion you want. to go full 1080 it gets pricey. maybe now you see why the guy took them all with him.

Instigator

Just Livin up to My Name
Reaction score
PM sent

that is a bsic ethernet standard. general rule of thumb is cat 5 is good for 100mb/sec up to a certain distance, cat6 is for gigE (1000mb/sec). I forget what the rating is for 5e.

there are many various hdmi converters/extenders. It boils down to what cable you have, the lenght and the resoltion you want. to go full 1080 it gets pricey. maybe now you see why the guy took them all with him.

I am quickly figuring that out. 1080 is pretty expensive but the Stereo A/V ( red, Yellow, White ) dealio isn't too bad.

TomD

Breathing Member
Reaction score
The cable will be labled from the factory as to what type it is (cat 5, cat 5e ect). It will also have the legnth printed on it every 2 feet. Hopifully someone marked the cables (1 and 2).

DaveH

Reaction score
It will also have the legnth printed on it every 2 feet. Hopifully someone marked the cables (1 and 2).

not all cable is marked for length. not to worry, you can buy cable testers that will identify cable length and also check for shorts or crossed pairs or whatever. actually almost a must have tool if you are going to be doing this yourslef.

TomD

Breathing Member
Reaction score
not all cable is marked for length. not to worry, you can buy cable testers that will identify cable length and also check for shorts or crossed pairs or whatever. actually almost a must have tool if you are going to be doing this yourslef.

OK I'll repharse, any cable WORTH A DAMM!:D

skav

Reaction score
I would use active bauns. Gefen and Key Digital both make quality pieces. I use them all the time w/o issue