WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

my pump setback & rebuild

squirtnmyload

now its recording
Reaction score
i figured i'd share this with everyone here. currently i am working on doing a pump setback on my boat. this is my first experience actually rippin into a pump so i am learning as i go, with alot of help from timm @ tuf enuf marine performance. my plans are to do a setback, inducer, A or AB impeller(gonna try an A first), split bowl, loader, shoe, rideplate and droop. i am doing most of the labor and he will be doing all of my machine work. the boat is a 84 18ft caribbean and i will be running a 533 stroker ford. i will update this as i go but here is my progress from the last 2 weeks or so......

DSCF3756.jpg

DSCF3758.jpg

DSCF3760.jpg

i would've liked to kill the person who siliconed the transom cover on :D
DSCF3762.jpg

squirtnmyload

now its recording
Reaction score
got the pump out
DSCF3770.jpg

DSCF3772.jpg

DSCF3779.jpg

cutting out the intake...what a PAIN IN THE ASS! i got most of the nuts off of the bolts that are through the floor but i had to drill a few of the heads off to get them out.
DSCF3780.jpg

i fucked with it for a couple hours over 2 days and finally got it out.
DSCF3781.jpg

DSCF3782.jpg

squirtnmyload

now its recording
Reaction score
i had some leaks and i saw that it was my intake that was leaking once i got it out
DSCF3783.jpg

pulling off the impeller
document-6.jpg

misc shots of me taking apart the pump
document-5.jpg

document-4.jpg

document-3.jpg

document-2.jpg

document-1.jpg

squirtnmyload

now its recording
Reaction score
and the last one for now is of me trying to chip away at the sea going expoxy. this shit is brutal.
document.jpg

the intake is going to be machined for the shoe and then i will send the intake, pump, bowl, droop and diverter to the powdercoater. i have a busy next couple of weeks so i probably won't be doing much but i will update as i go. thanks for looking and any advice is welcomed :beer

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
How will you be filling the bottom of the hull where the pump was originally? Do you have to add any structural integrity to the bottom of the boat now that, this much of the boat has been removed?

As well when you fill in the area in front of the setback, is there somethihng special you have to do there? I talked to Forensic about doing this on his boat, but we were pretty much told that it was a total pain in the ass, and would be better off leaving it alone kinda deal?

RD

squirtnmyload

now its recording
Reaction score
How will you be filling the bottom of the hull where the pump was originally? Do you have to add any structural integrity to the bottom of the boat now that, this much of the boat has been removed?

As well when you fill in the area in front of the setback, is there somethihng special you have to do there? I talked to Forensic about doing this on his boat, but we were pretty much told that it was a total pain in the ass, and would be better off leaving it alone kinda deal?

RD
i am leaving this part to the guy who knows what to do. i do know that we are going to set it back as far as we can without cutting through where the bottom and transom meet. i was told for a "lake boat" that it would be wise not to cut through. that should put it back 4-5 inches. i've witnessed some of this process before and i know that they just glassed in where the intake was and laid some more glass to reinforce where what little of the bottom was left. i was not around for the final work so i can't fully answer the question. the boat is getting flipped for some bottom repairs also so i will be sure to keep the pics coming on the whole process. apparently its not that big of a deal to do.

squirtnmyload

now its recording
Reaction score
Don't get into it and forget to take pictures. I always do.
As Dave said, we talked about it but were talked out of it.

I'm interested in watching the progress. :beer

i gotta ask, why were you talked out of it? i am really excited about all this and i will keep them coming for sure. i forgot my camera yesterday and took some of those with the phone :D

squirtnmyload

now its recording
Reaction score
Nothing real serious. Just the amount of work that goes into it. Thats why I am watching this thread like a hawk. It could change my mind.

the only thing i heard was that it isn't worth it if your running stock power.

squirtnmyload

now its recording
Reaction score
update: picked up a split bowl and droop today. tomorrow i will be taking them and my pump housing, intake and diverter to be stripped and then powdercoated black. should have them back in a week or so. will probably get the intake in the boat the weekend after memorial day. stay tuned :D

RadMan

Throbbing Member
Reaction score
Make sure they don't powder coat inside the machined bores where the clearances can change and mess you up later when you reassemble.

Looking forward to watching this too. Good luck.

squirtnmyload

now its recording
Reaction score
Make sure they don't powder coat inside the machined bores where the clearances can change and mess you up later when you reassemble.

Looking forward to watching this too. Good luck.

thanks for the advice. they are aware of what not to powder coat. it looks like redi-strip will have my pump till tuesday because of the holiday. i don't think it will be done at the powdercoaters in time for next weekend. :swear :swear

squirtnmyload

now its recording
Reaction score
got my pump stuff back today. the intake is going to be machined for the shoe & rideplate then its off to the powdercoater :beer

document-3-1.jpg

squirtnmyload

now its recording
Reaction score
just got the stuff back from the powdercoater. you don't want to know how pissed i am for it taking this long. for those of you in the Phoenix area, i would not recommend southwest powdercoating. to me the bowl is unacceptable and the other parts are somewhat decent. i'm beyond ready for my boat back so i will deal with getting the bowl re powdercoated by someone else (embee) at a later date. we will be doing the setback on saturday.

document-4-1.jpg

document-5-1.jpg

document-6-1.jpg

here is the intake machined for the shoe & rideplate
document-2-1.jpg

here are my new headers from rewarder. the coating on them is perfect

DSCF3845.jpg

and here is how far the setback will be

document-3-2.jpg

Last edited:

squirtnmyload

now its recording
Reaction score
here are some pics of the areas that were glassed. the front was glassed where the original hole was for the intake and the back towards the transom is built up due to having to grind into the keel to accept the rideplate.

DSCF3854.jpg

DSCF3855.jpg

DSCF3856.jpg

squirtnmyload

now its recording
Reaction score
due to the powdercoating taking an extra 3 weeks and the fact that i am leaving for powell tomorrow for 5 days, the boat is going to be finished without me being there. hopefully i will be putting up the finished pictures next friday....after i get back from testing at the lake :D :)

squirtnmyload

now its recording
Reaction score
ok....so for whatever reason not too much work got done while i was gone. we did decide to "break through" the back of the boat to get more setback out of the pump. went up early today and got the glass work done and the intake set. tomorrow i will be stabbin the engine and getting it plumbed. with any luck i will be making an early morning or twilight run on sunday. not holding my breath though..........................

document-8-1.jpg

document-7-1.jpg

document-9-1.jpg

squirtnmyload

now its recording
Reaction score
update. its a long story but the shoe is finally done and matched with my intake. slowly but surely i guess. :swear :D looks like the engine will go in tomorrow.

document-3-3.jpg

document-1-2.jpg

squirtnmyload

now its recording
Reaction score
got a late start today but got the pump in(still have to put the ride plate on) and transon plates mounted. also got most of the holes drilled for the engine water, steering, cables and water pressure gauge lines. i think i may have to put one of those orange flags at the end of the pump while i'm towing :D :D also got the engine somewhat ready to go in. still have to make all the braided lines once it is in the boat.

document-7-2.jpg

document-6-2.jpg

document-5-2.jpg

document-4-2.jpg

document-2-3.jpg

document-1-3.jpg

document-3-4.jpg

Last edited:

squirtnmyload

now its recording
Reaction score
engine is in! the only things left to do is to make all the braided lines to plumb the engine, header water control valve, fuel lines and bilge pump. need to finish the lines on the outside of the transom plates too. also got black livewires coming to replace the blue ones that i have. oh and need to mount the scoop :D :)

document-1-4.jpg

document-4-3.jpg

document-5-3.jpg

document-2-4.jpg

document-3-5.jpg

squirtnmyload

now its recording
Reaction score
lit off the motor today. sure did sound great! should have some on water results on monday the 18th. :beer

squirtnmyload

now its recording
Reaction score
great day at the lake yesterday! i am soooo happy to have my boat back. gps'd one run when we got there. with 2 adults and 30 gallons of fuel it ran 77.6 @ 5k rpms. before all the work it ran 61ish on a good day. intake pressure was 20lbs on the top and 15 on the bottom. it appears that i have alot of tuning to do, but that will wait. i am going to enjoy the boat for the rest of the summer and maybe in the winter months i will start to tinker. i am still waiting for the pics of me running on the water. i will post them when i get them. it is unbelievable how much nicer this boat rides :D here is the finished product..........................had one plug wire that was measured wrong so i still need that and the billet looms to clean the wires up a bit

DSCF3878.jpg

DSCF3880.jpg

DSCF3881.jpg

DSCF3882.jpg

Last edited:

Factory502

Reaction score
That thing looks so Tough- nothing like 8 ft of pump hangin out the back of a classic- great build:thumbsup:cool:

squirtnmyload

now its recording
Reaction score
That thing looks so Tough- nothing like 8 ft of pump hangin out the back of a classic- great build:thumbsup:cool:

thanks. its was lots of work and went through plenty of setbacks (no pun intended :D). i can honestly say it was all worth it when i put the pedal to the floor and got pinned back in the seat. :D :beer

squirtnmyload

now its recording
Reaction score
here are the lake pics.........i will update the thread as i gain MPHs from playing with the setup :)

dsc01596tk3.jpg

dsc01594kb7.jpg

dsc01592hx4.jpg

dsc01589wu9.jpg

obviously this thing runs pretty dry :D

dsc01593rv4.jpg

Last edited:

Outdrive1

Outdrive1 Marine Sales https://www.outdrive1.com/
Reaction score
here are the lake pics.........i will update the thread as i gain MPHs from playing with the setup :)

dsc01596tk3.jpg

dsc01594kb7.jpg

dsc01592hx4.jpg

dsc01589wu9.jpg

obviously this thing runs pretty dry :D

dsc01593rv4.jpg

Right the Hell On. Congrats on the finished product.:thumbsup:cool:

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
great day at the lake yesterday! i am soooo happy to have my boat back. gps'd one run when we got there. with 2 adults and 30 gallons of fuel it ran 77.6 @ 5k rpms. before all the work it ran 61ish on a good day. intake pressure was 20lbs on the top and 15 on the bottom. it appears that i have alot of tuning to do, but that will wait. i am going to enjoy the boat for the rest of the summer and maybe in the winter months i will start to tinker. i am still waiting for the pics of me running on the water. i will post them when i get them. it is unbelievable how much nicer this boat rides :D here is the finished product..........................had one plug wire that was measured wrong so i still need that and the billet looms to clean the wires up a bit

DSCF3878.jpg

DSCF3880.jpg

DSCF3881.jpg

DSCF3882.jpg

Ah shit man.. LOL I thought you had some big cruiser like a focking Spectra or something.. I didn't know it was some little skiff with a monster motor in it.

I might owe you some $$$ comin up here.. LOL

RD

squirtnmyload

now its recording
Reaction score
Ah shit man.. LOL I thought you had some big cruiser like a focking Spectra or something.. I didn't know it was some little skiff with a monster motor in it.

I might owe you some $$$ comin up here.. LOL

RD

he said little skiff....LMAO. :D :D

Reaction score
Looks Good Bro. The Griswold will never keep up now. Cannot believe the offers you are getting. Some people are unbelievable.

Last edited: