WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

2003 Chevy Duramax Pitman Seal

Luvnlife

Head Ram Rod
Reaction score
Anybody ever change theirs? Mine started to leak out the bottom and it looks like you can get the seal kit for about $20. Is it possible todo without removing the gear box? How big of a pain in the ass? Thanks

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
Anybody ever change theirs? Mine started to leak out the bottom and it looks like you can get the seal kit for about $20. Is it possible todo without removing the gear box? How big of a pain in the ass? Thanks
It's just easier to pull the box. It'll save you a lot of effort and time in the overall picture.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
How about a rundown on how to pull the box? Any tricks?[emoji106]
Disconnect the lines last and have a pan underneath to catch the oil. Other than that, just un-bolt the thing from the steering shaft and use a ball joint separator to pop the pitman arm off the center link. Good idea to replace the pitman arm too while you have the box off and since you have to pull the pitman arm anyways to do the seal. If you have the room and the arm isn't super stuck on the box, it may be easier to remove the arm while the box is still attached to the truck. If it's really tight, do it off the truck in a vise.

Luvnlife

Head Ram Rod
Reaction score
Was doing some other work under the truck and checked out what was involved. I'mjust going to change the box, pitman arm, and I have one hose that needs to be changed, I'll knock it out next weekend.[emoji106]

Luvnlife

Head Ram Rod
Reaction score
Got it done yesterday. Once I got started no problem. Ended up taking off the air intake pipe which made it real easy to get to everything. Wife says it steers alot better so another successful project.[emoji106][emoji631]