• Welcome to River Dave's Place

2014 SJP Jeep Rubicon JK Build

Discussion in 'Custom Offroad Builds' started by SJP, Oct 4, 2014.

1. SJP

SJP WHTBRD

So took the plunge and picked up another hobby. I have always wanted one of these and after they came out with the well equipped 4 door models it was a no brainer for a guy with a family. Bought the unit in LHC at Anderson. Was able to negotiate a better price here than in OC. 2014 JK, Leather, 4.10, Heated Seats, 710 NAV Uconnect, full color match, White for the hot dessert.

So before doing this I talked to a bunch of people with Jeeps but the thing that got me the most motivated was Cole Trickle's build thread. It was awesome - spot on, cool, etc. I recently had a good friend buy a fully modified new JK off the lot. It is really nice but this is really not my style. On the other hand I am not a shade tree mechanic to the level of CT. :D So my approach to this build was this - buy the unit loaded with what I wanted. Research the parts, look and feel, build / bolt on in my garage what I can, and sub out the rest (lift / suspension).

So I got the Jeep and pretty much just drove it stock from LHC to my garage in HB. After having some nice trucks and performance cars -- I am not going to lie to you guys driving this on the 40 is just OK. When I lift it and put 35s it pretty much is going to kill the road-trip-ability.

Got it home - all stock
    IMG_0175.jpg

IMG_0174.jpg

It fits in the garage barely!! :D

IMG_0183.jpg

Install SPOD switch modules

IMG_0131.jpg

Strip off stock bumpers and rockers.

IMG_0187.jpg

Getting ready for powder coat today and lift on Monday.

IMG_0188.jpg

Cat Can Do, phuggit and BHC Vic like this.
  2. GET SOME

GET SOME Well-Known Member

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1412388749.552690.jpg
    Welcome to the Huntington Beach all white jeep club!

SJP likes this.
  3. GET SOME

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1412388870.505757.jpg
    Here's another one

SJP likes this.
  4. SJP

SJP WHTBRD

I decided to put ARB compressor on board air and it fits nicely under the passenger seat with the help of Carolina Metal Masters trick billet bracket. I tied it into the spod switch 1 and we are off. While on the CMM site I could not pass up some really nice billet grab handles / go pro mounts. They also double as side mirror mounts when the doors are off. Work well. :thumbup:

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

5. SJP

SJP WHTBRD

Install Poisen Spyder crossmember brace and evap skid.

image.jpg

While I had the passenger seat out I took out the driver side and put in a locking drawer.

image.jpg

6. Cole Trickle

Cole Trickle Member

Nice.....you have some nice parts going on. Keep the build going[emoji2]

SJP likes this.
  7. Cole Trickle

Cole Trickle Member

Hopefully he does black methods so the three of you can start your own jeep club...haha[emoji12]

8. Singleton

Singleton Well-Known Member

They are a fun toy to have. Just getting started as well, but got a deal last week, so it came with a lift and 35's.
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1412433090.864655.jpg

9. SJP

SJP WHTBRD

Thank you - think the driving factor on getting this build done at this point is my lack of garage space. :D

Those look pretty slick but I am going with aluminum Raceline bead locks with white powder coat rings. They problably will get demo'd pretty quick but we will see...

Nice Jeep!

10. Paul65k

Paul65k Schiada Baby.......Yeah!!

Nice build Sam.....like everything you do it's top shelf all the way:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Looking forward to seeing the new buggy tearing up the hills around Havasu:D

SJP likes this.
  11. GET SOME

What lift are you going with... Looks great so far

12. SJP

SJP WHTBRD

Thank you - really will need to figure out how to drive this thing crawling. Do not have a lot of experience with it but, should be fun.

So I am going to have a local shop near my house do it. I looked at a bunch of different options. Since I am sticking with 35s I decided on terraflex 3 inch lift with fox shocks. I have been told most of this will all go out the window after I start using it. :D

13. Singleton

Driving it will be the fun part. We should find some trails and practice together.

Good choice on the lift. Mine came with the Rubicon Express Super Flex short arm kit and i don't see that lasting in its as is condition. Already thinking of picking up the long arm upgrade kit and moving to Bilstein shocks.

First time in awhile that I can speed hours looking at options to add to a vehicle. It has been fun surfing the web looking at all the stuff you can do.

14. BHC Vic

BHC Vic cobra performance boats

Nice thread. Really considering getting one for my wife but at what point is it not a daily driver. Have a hard time making payments on something I would use maybe once a month. The Cherokee is basically paid off I'm leaning more towards throwing money into that and seeing what I could build... Any thoughts?

15. Paul65k

Just a thought.......at 26 you should be throwing those $$ into a savings account so you can pay cash for all your cars when you're 40 and then for the rest of your life.......Just sayin :D

16. BHC Vic

BHC Vic cobra performance boats

I actually have the money in my savings to buy one cash but i don't think id do it. Is there any benefit to buying something cash? My mom and dad have plenty of money and he just financed his new truck? What are the pros other than the interest I guess

17. Paul65k

If I tried to explain I'm afraid you just wouldn't understand :D

JRS1939 likes this.
  18. SJP

SJP WHTBRD

TCHB and Paul65K know a lot of local trails to watch us scratch up our new jeeps :D.

19. SJP

SJP WHTBRD

Not the drilling and tapping I prefer :D but I have NFL on in the garage and a little peace and quite before my youngest birthday party.

image.jpg

20. Singleton

Might just have to join a few of those trips this year.

SJP likes this.