WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

5oclocksomewhere New Home Build Adventure

5oclocksomewhere

Reaction score
Ok here we go. Hopefully you guys will be able to understand my Hyrogliphics along the way. Most of you have probably figured out grammar & writing are not my strong points but bear with me.

We moved to Prescott Valley Az from Acton Ca in Sept of 2015. We fell in love with the Prescott area and found a home we fell in love with in Prescott Valley. We love the house but mainly the views and privacy. Unfortantley there was one row of lots in front of us that hadn't been built on that backed up state land. No worries we figured we had at least 5 years before that happens. Well fast forward to Jan 2017 a mear 1yr & 5months later and we live in a friggin so cal subdivision. Building out here is off the hook. I came home Thursday two weeks ago to find they had started the last house on the row in front of us right in front of my house. I walked in told my wife that's it! Let's start looking for property to build on that has No CC&Rs & No HOA, very hard to find out here. Well within two days we found a 10acre parcel with no CC&Rs & No HOA and it backs up the state land to that the houses in front of us back up to, just that now we will be on the north side of this state land. We can actually see our new land from our house now through binoculars. 10acres $98k cash offer they excepted. Should be our land in a couple weeks. Our friends of ours talked us into doing and owner build. At first I told him I don't know shit about building a house. He said either did I before I built ours I'm just a dumb fireman (his words not mine). Well he talked us into it it and we're off. We have a floor plan that we took from some local model homes and we have made our own adjustments. Off to the draftsman next week then when plans are done we will submit to the planning dept (approx 10 weeks for approval). As soon as we have approval we will list this house. This house should go very fast as there is no inventory out here and one of the neighbor houses 4 years older not as nice, not the extra 2 car detached garage we have just sold for $440k. We will probably list for $450 to 460. Once the house sells we will move into our 5th wheel on our new property while we're building the new house. Hopefully 6 to 8 months God help me if it's any longer. I will post updates & picures along the way. Thanks for listening to me ramble on.
Sept2015
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Reason for selling! Jan 2017
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 450

Deja_Vu

Essex Affectionado
Reaction score
Congrats! We are doing the same thing. :thumbup:
Living in our 32' 5th wheel trailer in Temecula and building a new home in Havasu.
My wife and I and our two little dogs. It's cramped but you have that big reward at the end.
I get up and go to the gym everyday and shower/get ready for work there so I have elbow room lol.

Are there utilities on the new property?

5oclocksomewhere

Reaction score
Congrats! We are doing the same thing. :thumbup:
Living in our 32' 5th wheel trailer in Temecula and building a new home in Havasu.
My wife and I and our two little dogs. It's cramped but you have that big reward at the end.
I get up and go to the gym everyday and shower/get ready for work there so I have elbow room lol.

Are there utilities on the new property?

Congratulations to you guys also. Yah we're going to be cramped, myself, wife and our two little girls but like you said the end reward will be worth it. No utilities but I own my own excavating & grading business so I have that side covered. I have to have power, well & septic in before they will let us move onto property. Hopefully a can have all this a done in the next couple months. Permits will be the only slow part.

The antelope like our land also. image.jpg

5oclocksomewhere

Reaction score
So we closed on the property about a week and a half ago. Today I went over cut a road to the property then hauled in about 100 tons of mag spec to put on top of the road. Graded it with my Gannon then wheel rolled it with my big truck. Then once I finished that I cleared the land where the house is going to sit and dug a 5' hole for the soils test. Monday morning the soils guys will come out and take a sample. Samples take about 4 weeks for results. Monday I also meet with my draftsman to go over site and make a plot plan. Well I think that brings us up to speed. My old ass is whooped for today's work. IMG_2595.jpg IMG_2594.jpg IMG_2593.jpg IMG_2590.jpg IMG_2589.jpg IMG_2575.jpg

Deja_Vu

Essex Affectionado
Reaction score
Wow, you really made good progress :bowdown: Developing the plot plan is the best part :)

5oclocksomewhere

Reaction score
Well I wish things would move quicker but I'm finding out there is no rushing this process. Today I made the pad for the conex boxes and where we're going to park & live in the RV. Once done with the pad I connected the driveway to the road. Hauled, spread & graded 160 tons of base today. Sorry for the boring update but it's all I got for now. IMG_2635.jpg IMG_2636.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_2634.jpg
    IMG_2634.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 366

5oclocksomewhere

Reaction score
Still loving P-town?

Hey Tom
We love it here. I just thank god everyday we started our own business because wages here are horrible. I had a buddy move here about the same time and he actually just headed back to CA yesterday. He couldn't make it on the wages out here. We need to get together sometime when your up here. We owe you a meal and some beers, beside once we get the new home built and settled I'm gonna need to talk to your dad about horses. I promised my Sierra once the business was established I would get her a horse.

Tommy Gun Images

Media Lackey
Staff member
Reaction score
Yessir! When you are ready I'll introduce you to my pops. He'll have you out and put the kids on some horses. Literally no one better to talk horses with and thats not cuz I'm biased.
And yeah the wages are small town wages, but if you own your own biz it's a great place.

For the rest of you guys reading this, Prescott sucks and the weather and scenery are shit.

5oclocksomewhere

Reaction score
:swear We'll they drilled our well yesterday to 750' less than 1gal a min. We even had two different companies which it (which is a crock of voodoo shit). $7600 right out the window. We have to reapply for another permit so about 4 weeks we will try again. Pretty sure I will be polluted most of the weekend so don't be surprised if you see some retarded rambling posts from me this weekend. 😂

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
:swear We'll they drilled our well yesterday to 750' less than 1gal a min. We even had two different companies which it (which is a crock of voodoo shit). $7600 right out the window. We have to reapply for another permit so about 4 weeks we will try again. Pretty sure I will be polluted most of the weekend so don't be surprised if you see some retarded rambling posts from me this weekend. 

Buddy, I have a bury a body friend who put 100K into a new hole when it was all said and done to REPAIR an existing well. He ended up with better water than he had, but it cost coin to do it.

He always tells me he has one of my HAAS mills buried in his well.

Brian

5oclocksomewhere

Reaction score
Buddy, I have a bury a body friend who put 100K into a new hole when it was all said and done to REPAIR an existing well. He ended up with better water than he had, but it cost coin to do it.

Brian

Ouch! If they hit water this next time I will into it for around $17k. It's a hard pill to swallow.

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
Ouch! If they hit water this next time I will into it for around $17k. It's a hard pill to swallow.

Oh I agree. Drilling holes in the ground looking for water is always a gamble.

It wasn't that long ago either, I don't envy you in this phase my friend.

Just confirmed, yep, 4 holes.

He put two dry holes at the depth you are talking lookin for water, no shit. After the first dry hole, Water witch, priest, the whole nine. Still dry on shot two.

One hole, #3, near the one which finally hit water, has a few pieces of drill pipe and a head stuck in it the driller couldn't retrieve. :yikes.

Brian

Deja_Vu

Essex Affectionado
Reaction score
Get out the divining rod! Dang, sorry to read about the dry well attempts.
Best of Luck to you....3rd time is a charm!

Instigator

Just Livin up to My Name
Reaction score
Just an FYI,
Drilling a well in the Phoenix Valley will usually cost about 30K or more and only have to go to 350 feet or more. With Prescott being higher in elevation I would think that you would have to go much deeper to fine Sweet Water.
Hope that helps in some way.:thumbsup
Was Thatguy can chime in as he is in the drilling business and I know he has drilled several wells all over Az.

5oclocksomewhere

Reaction score
IMG_2621.JPG
IMG_2622.JPG
IMG_2624.JPG
IMG_2625.JPG
IMG_1486.jpeg
Well it's time to start this thing. Finally got approved plans and permits and our current house is in escrow. We were going to list our current house march 1st but our realtor wanted to show it to a client. We told her we were not moving until march because most of winter will be over by then. Sure enough they gave us a cash offfer and close date of march 26th. Perfect done deal. I put up all 10 acres of fence the last couple months. Today is the big day we broke ground. More updates to come.

mjc

Retired Neighbor
Reaction score
What happened with the well?

Deja_Vu

Essex Affectionado
Reaction score
Awesome! That is the best case scenario right there, congrats!

Looking forward to more updates.

5oclocksomewhere

Reaction score
What happened with the well?

We talked to the pump guys and they said the driller gives out very conservative #s and that we're probably producing 3 to 5 gpm. I'm going to install a 1200 gal in ground tank anyway.

5oclocksomewhere

Reaction score
IMG_2735.JPG
IMG_2702.JPG
IMG_2703.JPG
IMG_2722.JPG
IMG_2723.JPG
Formed poured and now have stem walls. The framers were going to start today but we got 4"s of snow last night and this morning. Which is also the reason I'm screwing around on here in the middle of the day laying in front of the fire.

5oclocksomewhere

Reaction score
IMG_2883.JPG
IMG_2884.JPG
IMG_2885.JPG
IMG_2886.JPG
IMG_2894.JPG
IMG_2895.JPG
Ok so we now have power to the panel and our fifth wheel. Yay! Singles are being installed, hvac is in, almost all electrical is in, waiting on framers to finish there suppose to put windows in today and finish up this weekend.

The Bad. I got so excited about having power on Wednesday that I got home and started having a couple beers, then I decided to dump my black water tank. I hook up the water hose to the black water flush on the side of my trailer, I'm doing to let my tank fill up before I dump it, well I get busy doing something else and forgot about the water being on. All of the sudden boom! I turn to the trailer and see shit water and toilet paper running out from underneath the close belly. Fuck Fuck Fuck! I run over pull the dump valve to dump what left but I blew the top of the tank apart. Thankful it has a porcelain toilet and it did not Allan the water to back up in the trailer. I ripped the under belly out and ordered a new tank yesterday. Also the tank is broke at the top so we can still use it until new tank gets here.
Note to self always pay fucking attention to the task at hand.

Deja_Vu

Essex Affectionado
Reaction score
oooops damn sorry to hear but its really coming together nicely! hang in it gets better

DC-88

Reaction score
Looks great Mark . Make sure you get some angle flashing at the deck to wall with a 2–1/2 to 3” horizontal and a kerf . We’ve been using bituthene or 2” joist tape like this on decks at the coast for a while now. Might be a good idea with the snow out there -
IMG_5800.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5oclocksomewhere

Reaction score
Looks great Mark . Make sure you get some angle flashing at the deck to wall with a 2–1/2 to 3” horizontal and a kerf . We’ve been using bituthene or 2” joist tape like this on decks at the coast for a while now. Might be a good idea with the snow out there - View attachment 634043

Thank you
My buddy who ownes the lumber yard/hardware store I'm getting all my supplies from dust told me about this tape yesterday. Going to put it on Before the Trex. Thanks for looking out! I appreciate any tips anybody has.

Deja_Vu

Essex Affectionado
Reaction score
I have a couple boxes of the black Trex screws left from my California house.
PM your Address when you need them I will get them to you.

5oclocksomewhere

Reaction score
IMG_3008.JPG
IMG_3009.JPG
IMG_3010.JPG
IMG_3011.JPG
IMG_3012.JPG
IMG_3013.JPG
IMG_3014.JPG
IMG_3015.JPG
IMG_3016.JPG
IMG_3017.JPG
IMG_3018.JPG
IMG_3019.JPG
IMG_3020.JPG
IMG_3021.JPG
Well time for an update. Pluming, electrical, lathe for stucco & spray foam insulation done. Spray foam insulation 7"a in the roof, 6"s on the walls, 4"s throughout the whole garage and 7"s in the floor. Funny thing is I told the 2 insulation guys that I would give them $200 each if they made sure to do it perfectly. House & garage came out great on the first day. Second day they sprayed the floor underneath the house and were done by noon. I said great now let me crawl under there and check. I found most or the floor between 2 to 4"s. I crawled out from under the house and said try again boys, I paid for 7"s of foam on that floor and that's what I'm going to get. With there tail between there legs they went back under the house and spent 4 more hours respraying. When they were done I crawled back under the house and checked it again. This time it was right so I gave them there tip because in the end the job was completed to my satisfaction. It just pisses me off you have to baby sit every trade, but this is why I'm doing an owner build because I'm very picky. Imagine that I want what I'm paying for, seems to be a non existent practice in America anymore. That all being said it's still a fun process and I will never hire a contractor or even buy and already built house again.

Last edited:

82daytona

Reaction score
That spray foam is bad ass! Wish I had your money...

5oclocksomewhere

Reaction score

Lmao! If I had your hay hauling money big strapper I would burn mine.
FYI headed to town now until Tuesday let's get together.

ld

5oclocksomewhere

Reaction score
IMG_3131.JPG
IMG_3132.JPG
IMG_3239.JPG
IMG_3240.JPG
IMG_3241.JPG
IMG_3243.JPG
Well time for another update. We're are getting closer. They just finished the synthetic Stucco today. Trim is mostly done inside, painting of the inside starts tomorrow. One bad thing is the 15' rear sliding door is leaking with all the monsoons. MI windows came out and looked at it and said it was installed wrong so we have to pull it out next week and reinstall it correctly.

5oclocksomewhere

Reaction score
IMG_3331.JPG
IMG_3326.JPG
IMG_3327.JPG
IMG_3328.JPG
IMG_3329.JPG
IMG_3330.JPG
IMG_3325.JPG
Time for a little update. Burning the midnight oil tonight with my stone guy trying to get the fireplace done before the hardwood goes in. Yes the walls are 14' to 16' were he's working on the scaffolding. The 72" windmill fan is one of my favorite additions to this house. Friday night it took 4 of us to put the oven vent up and then realized my cabinet guy made my cabinets to shallow for a normal plate. Good thing he's my friend so he's making new one by the oven hood. Lantern lights and a wagon wheel chandelier, barn wood goes on the wall in a couple weeks. Custom made shelf from a buddy of mine to hold up the steep equipment in the bar.

Deja_Vu

Essex Affectionado
Reaction score
Is the stove vent hood copper? If so, are you doing a copper sink to match?
My wife really likes those, was hoping we could swing it, but we folded on it.

DrunkenSailor

Reaction score
Really cool detail work. Things are starting to come together. Those lamps in the bar are bad ass and I love that fan. With the blade angles I bet it throws some wind. Kitchen is coming together nicely.

5oclocksomewhere

Reaction score
Is the stove vent hood copper? If so, are you doing a copper sink to match?
My wife really likes those, was hoping we could swing it, but we folded on it.

Yes the hood is copper. No we went with stainless sinks and brushed bronze faucets.