WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Aluminum 621 cu in Turbo Engine

obnoxious001

Engine building character
Reaction score
Got a couple of previews of the next engine due up on the stand, Brodix aluminum block 621 cubic inch. The plan is to turbocharge it running E85 fuel.

DSCN4637.jpg

obnoxious001

Reaction score
So,, decided it would look more cool this way, even if it took a little more work on upkeep. Still a several days away from starting on measuring and assembly, but couldn't wait to post a quick photo, just back from the polish shop.

DSCN4655.jpg

obnoxious001

Reaction score
I'm wonder how much does a that block weigh?

I lifted it onto the tailgate with the main caps still on, and then back off the truck without the caps when it came back from the polisher, so it can't be too heavy.

River Lynchmob

What can I do to u for u?
Reaction score
Polished block looks great...the 27 had a Keith Black aluminum blaock and looked sweet...until I spun the main bearing.

My dad's old Brummett outdrive also had a polished aluminum block...they look sweet and under a motor hatch they stay looking good for a long time.

Can't wait to see this one.

FLATMVN

Abnormal Member
Reaction score
I'm wonder how much does a that block weigh?

I watch a show on History Channel last night on Aluminum. They showed a segment on Dart Aluminum racing Blocks. They showed how they machined them. They started with a 745 lb. billet block and machine it down to a 124 lb. finished product. If a billet block is 124 lbs. I would think a cast block is about the same or less.

By the way Barry that block looks bad a$$.

Enen

Reaction score
Sounds like an over the top cool engine build. How are things going? I am curious what components you are using for the rotating assembly? :thumbsup

obnoxious001

Reaction score
Sounds like an over the top cool engine build. How are things going? I am curious what components you are using for the rotating assembly? :thumbsup

I should be picking up the story again soon. The heads have come back from being polished, but Steve is working some crazy hours for a couple of months, so it's been kind of on the back burner.

Mondorally

Reaction score
Any updates? I've been fantasizing about a big cube aluminum NA motor and came across this thread.

Wheeler

I'm just here to bitch about others negativity.😁
Reaction score
My question is, about how much is it going to cost me to duplicate this engine, I can dream can't I? :D

obnoxious001

Reaction score
Any updates? I've been fantasizing about a big cube aluminum NA motor and came across this thread.

Justin,, you know the previous owner of these parts. This one is on hold as per the customer. He is currently having a sheetmetal intake fabricated.

My question is, about how much is it going to cost me to duplicate this engine, I can dream can't I? :D

Hard to say what the finished price will be, but fairly big number.

digiound73

Banned
Reaction score
Hi Guys,
I have been looking around this site alot nd its been a GR8 help
I have come across a 944 Turbo 250 engine with 23K miles
and a 944 S2 Gearbox with LSD

Is it possible to fit these in my 77 924?

Also has anyone ever done this before?

Thanks
SparkY

obnoxious001

Reaction score
Is this jason's old Aluminum Monster?

Correct,, most of the parts are here. The current owner is having a sheet metal intake and intercooler fabricated for it. Should be a real wild one when it's built!

Outlaw

Polishing MOFO
Reaction score
So,, decided it would look more cool this way, even if it took a little more work on upkeep. Still a several days away from starting on measuring and assembly, but couldn't wait to post a quick photo, just back from the polish shop.

DSCN4655.jpg

Thats the block I needed, MORE BLING:D

steveo143

Reaction score
Barry, I'm calling today about the manifold, been to long. Hope to get parts back to you soon. I ended up buying the Green metalflake 19' Schiada last week. Took it to Irvine yesterday, ran great. Took it to 91mph on gps @ 5900 rpm and 12# boost twice but my son kept waving me off. There is more there. Carbs are coming off to get converted for E-85 and then I have to cut out the fiberglass tanks and fit my old Dimarco 21 tanks in it. What fun.

obnoxious001

Reaction score
Ah,, so you are going to test the E85 thing first,, sounds like good thinking! That one probably has much lower static compression,, and sounds like a lower gear if it turns 5900 to go 91?

Remind me next time you see me and I will tell you the story of a test ride I took in a Schiada flat at Puddingstone for a friend who wanted to buy the boat. I actually had the owner of the boat beating me on the leg to slow down! (at only about 70 mph,, guess he didn't really like flats?)

steveo143

Reaction score
This is the19' GN type hull, semi-v. It has 32 gears in it, probably should put 45's in it. This motor is a 1/4 stroke 488 with a ton of head work, pulls really hard.

lebel409

Reaction score
How could you go 70? the speed limit is 35?

Or where you just doing laps around the big yellow boat...:skull

obnoxious001

Reaction score
How could you go 70? the speed limit is 35?

Or where you just doing laps around the big yellow boat...:skull

I ran my Schiada about 90 there pulling a skier for magazine photos one time. I think they are more strict now, but it's still possible to run higher speeds if you are not an idiot about it.

lebel409

Reaction score
When my FIL an MIL were dating she made him take the boat out to the puddle. It's a Lebel daycruiser with a blower. We got there right as it opened up, first one on the ramp...he fired it on the ramp and the patrol boys came instantly. They were polite, but seemed to think that it had to go 80 at all times...they watched us like a hawk. He put it to about 40 a couple of time and the boat came out...so he slowed down a bit.

obnoxious001

Reaction score
Did this thing ever get built?

Long block is completed, Steve is in the process of putting together a custom turbo setup, he was by here yesterday with the exhaust manifold in his truck from talking to someone about fabricating some adapters for the turbos.

I need to sit down and see if I can put a story to the photos that I have. Tons of extra time put into that engine to make stuff clear the big crankshaft, etc.

Wonsley66

Reaction score
Good to know its still happening, I just thought it would be interesting to see how you tackled any problems brought up by using one off parts.:thumbsup

As someone who knows little about building engines I look foward to these threads. They are very interesting, thanks for taking the time to post!

Last edited:

obnoxious001

Reaction score
Good to know its still happening, I just thought it would be interesting to see how you tackled any problems brought up by using one off parts.:thumbsup

As someone who knows little about building engines I look foward to these threads. They are very interesting, thanks for taking the time to post!

Thanks,, "time" is the key. Besides the few hours it takes to write up and organize photos, it adds a bunch of time to the build, since I won't handle the camera with oily hands, so it means stopping work, cleaning up, etc.

Steve is putting the turbo system together. He had an intake fabricated to fit the block and heads, but even then we decided to fabricate some block spacers rather than try to fill a 3/8" gap at the ends of the valley with only silicone. The block required additional clearancing, even though it was orginaly done by Brodix.

Also, the far from inexpensive intake required some hand work with a dremel to allow any type of bolts to fit next to two of the runners.

Another time consuming detail was that the Brodix instruction sheet did not give very specific instructions about many details, including cam bearings (that were not with the block when we obtained it). During the course of the build I called Brodix several times to ask for help. The two end cam bearings are held in by large spirolocks, and the first tech I spoke to at Brodix told me that the center 3 bearings could be normally installed. I recall trying to order a set of cam bearings from them, and they had none (they are special, all 5 are the same size). I went ahead and ordered some Clevite cam bearings, but something caused me to call Brodix a 2nd time about them, and I talked to a different rep. Based on conversation with him, I removed the 3 middle cam bearings and drilled them for a retaining bolt. Then the retaining bolts has to be checked to make sure they won't contact the camshaft, so they needed just a touch of grinding.

The dry sump pan needed clearancing, twice! I did a mock up but without the gasket and anchoring the pan down solidly, it was impossible to get it right, even though I put a rod and piston in each hole, one at a time, to check during the mock up.

There are probably several other things I am forgetting at the moment, but even the long block was a lot more labor intensive than any other engines I have put together.

wrighton

Reaction score
Wow, Steve. you sure do not mess around when selecting parts. That intake is insane. Thanks for the photo update Barry. I asked Steve a while back of a photo, I figured he was still busy polishing:champagne: I agree on the shiny sexy.:thumbsup:D

vdcruiser

Reaction score
Get this thing going, I want to know how the boat will handle with the bottom mods Steve has made.:D

steveo143

Reaction score
I am guessing at least 6 months before this thing sees water.

HULLSHOT

Reaction score
looks good Steve, cant wait to see it in person!

DaveH

Reaction score
while in Australia last month, came across this interesting looking intake

would love to see this thing on a dyno

steveo143

Reaction score
It was made by BJ's Racing Manifolds in Lancaster, CA. The exhaust manifolds, turbo hotside housings and Tial wastegates are going to Steve Yoder today to have transitions fabbed from the manifolds to the turbos.

Attachments

• P1030590.jpg
    P1030590.jpg
    131.7 KB · Views: 632

28skater

Reaction score
That motor would look good in the Vector buddy! Thanks again for all the help..

BoostPower

Staff member
Reaction score
Got a couple of previews of the next engine due up on the stand, Brodix aluminum block 621 cubic inch. The plan is to turbocharge it running E85 fuel.

DSCN4637.jpg

Sweet! Watch the fuel pumps! The e85 is killing the stators. We have a coating put in them do they don't get attacked! You likely heard about this but thought I would mention it.

obnoxious001

Reaction score
Sweet! Watch the fuel pumps! The e85 is killing the stators. We have a coating put in them do they don't get attacked! You likely heard about this but thought I would mention it.

Thanks, any hints or tips from you are always welcome!

BoostPower

Staff member
Reaction score
Should be a cool deal. Love Turbos

Sent from My Boostpower Marine Efi Beacon.

Roaddogg 4040

Reaction score
Is this thing running yet Steve??????????????????????????? I'm gettin older and don't want to miss it... :p

Steve

Roaddogg 4040

Reaction score
Well tell him to hurry up as I have another birthday coming up real soon...:grumble::D:D

Steve

RUNNINHOTRACING163.1

Reaction score

DSCN4655.jpg

thats some serious Bling dawg :thumbsup:thumbsup

ROCK ON !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/190649028759
ITS A SKATER NATION !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:drnkfr

steveo143

Reaction score
Still waiting on the turbo transitions to be finished and then I can finish the cold side turbo plumbing.