WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Aluminum vs Iron Heads

farmo83

Reaction score
So other than weight savings what is the advantage to running aluminum heads vs Iron? I’ve read you can run lower grade octane if your run aluminum, the only reason I can think of is they pull heat out better ?

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
Easier to produce and modify. Able to repair when something goes wrong.

obnoxious001

Engine building character
Reaction score
So other than weight savings what is the advantage to running aluminum heads vs Iron? I’ve read you can run lower grade octane if your run aluminum, the only reason I can think of is they pull heat out better ?

Not sure I would recommend lower octane fuel, but they do move the heat a little quicker. I normally think it terms of being safer to run with slightly more compression than iron.

As Brian stated, they are much easier to repair, and of course offer weight savings.

Powermizer

Reaction score
Aluminum makes less power, if heads flow exactly the same. So many more benefits for using aluminum as said above. major plus, is you wont break your back lifting them on to block.

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
Aluminum makes less power, if heads flow exactly the same.

True, but this is the only advantage, if you can even get the two different heads to flow the same. Which ain't really feasible without a new, newly designed iron casting.

Brian

Powermizer

Reaction score
Negligible, since iron has its own problems in that regard. :)
Hmm, I have seen and changed a lot of aftermarket aluminum intakes out because of corrosion. never changed a cast iron one. I guess it depends where you boat, and closed cooling or not.

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
Hmm, I have seen and changed a lot of aftermarket aluminum intakes out because of corrosion. never changed a cast iron one. I guess it depends where you boat, and closed cooling or not.
Considering FEW people have put an iron intake on most ANYTHING, especially a boat, in the last 20 years, I imagine your statement is true. ;)

Powermizer

Reaction score
Considering FEW people have put an iron intake on most ANYTHING, especially a boat, in the last 20 years, I imagine your statement is true. ;)
Goodness, has it been that long? Thanks for making me feel old. LOL

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
Goodness, has it been that long? Thanks for making me feel old. LOL
Sorry doooood. Last iron intake I saw on a boat was in '92, on the olds that came in my jetboat I have, which I took off and tossed the next day. ;) I never had an iron intake on any car that I have ever owned, and that is several. :) Brian