WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Another JKU Rubicon Jeep Build

Hugh Jascaulk

Reaction score
Special ordered a new Jeep the other day.
Also ordered all the stuff for the build. Offroad Evolution in Fullerton will be doing all the work.

Lift - Evo front and rear coil-over kit w\King coilovers and Evo front adj. lower control arms. Evo front knuckle gusset kit.

JE Reel front and rear 1350 driveshafts

Wheels and tires- method wheels w\ 35" Nitto Terra Grapplers

Poisen Spyder brawler Lite front and Rockbrawler II rear bumper with tire carrier

Warn Zeon 10 winch

Evo rocksliders and rock skins

Evo complete skid system

That's it for now, but would like input on things I should add in the future. Can't wait for all the parts to arrive so they can get started.

Singleton

Reaction score
Post photos. I need to get my build back on track. However I find new stuff to add each week :)

Reactions: SJP

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
Great start lots of nice parts going at it. Skip the 35's and go straight to 37's

5:13 gears

Flat fenders

Atx slab wheels

Evo skins

Dynatech 60 front and rear

Tell drew to sharpen his pencil and make you a deal[emoji12][emoji2]

Hugh Jascaulk

Reaction score
What are your thoughts on running a beadlock wheel for on highway use?

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
Wouldn't bother me at all... Tons of people run the slabs it hutchingtons without issues..

I would run the trail grappler tires there a much better tire in every regard. The Terra's are old and won't be as good offroad.

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
Confused on the arm set up?? You doing the full Evo long arm kit with there coil over set up. Standard coil not the double throw down right?

Hugh Jascaulk

Reaction score
Just the standard Evo bolt on coilover kit, not doing the long arm.

SJP

WHTBRD
Reaction score
Awesome - Congrats :thumbup:

I would regear and go to 37 as well. After putting some armor on I think I am heading down that road fast. Enjoy the build. Check out Cole Trickles build thread - he has a ton of ideas I borrowed. :D

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
Awesome - Congrats :thumbup:

I would regear and go to 37 as well. After putting some armor on I think I am heading down that road fast. Enjoy the build. Check out Cole Trickles build thread - he has a ton of ideas I borrowed. :D

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1425048337.111182.jpg

Do it......lol

Hugh Jascaulk

Reaction score
Funny thing is I haven't even told the wife yet. Next Tuesday is our 25th anniversary. I went out and bought her a new wedding ring, 2.5 carat investment grade center stone, 5 carats total. I'm hoping she'll be so happy, she won't care about the jeep.[emoji15]

I wish I was as mechanically inclined as you guys, having to pay to have all this stuff done is expensive.

I want to be able to flat tow this thing behind my moho. I'm thinking 37s is starting to get to big.

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
What is your plan with the jeep?

Honestly it will go about anywhere on 35's. I still say get the trail grapplers you will be much happier. Brad locks probably aren't needed for what you will put the jeep through. I run methods (non bead lock) and air down to 12 psi and I have never had an issue.

Also the king cool over program is confusing me. That's a big upgrade and I'm not sure why you are doing it with only the lower arm set up? It would be cheaper to do the 8 arm enforcer short arm kit with king shocks. Did they price it both ways?

If you plan to go big down the road by all means go with the 1350 drive shafts and coil overs it just seems your going pretty deep on certain things if you plan to stay with 35.

A well done jk on 35 will amaze you. Since you are doing full skids it will be perfect and still be good around town.

Hugh Jascaulk

Reaction score
Plan is to wheel it around Havasu, a Moab trip in May and the Rubicon trail later in the year. I have a Tj now, and when Drew asked me what kind of wheeling we do, I told him we usually end up on fire roads and washes, haul ass and beat the crap out of our jeeps. He intitially suggested a prerunner with the big axels and bypasses, but 60k wasn't happening. both Drew and Mel recommended the coil over kit, and since I was only doing 35's, the long arm wasn't needed. It requires the front driveshaft replaced and recommends the rear. I gave them a 15-20k budget and this is what the came up with. Just the suspension. Was 8k. Mel said his wife's jeep has the same kit.

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
Plan is to wheel it around Havasu, a Moab trip in May and the Rubicon trail later in the year. I have a Tj now, and when Drew asked me what kind of wheeling we do, I told him we usually end up on fire roads and washes, haul ass and beat the crap out of our jeeps. He intitially suggested a prerunner with the big axels and bypasses, but 60k wasn't happening. both Drew and Mel recommended the coil over kit, and since I was only doing 35's, the long arm wasn't needed. It requires the front driveshaft replaced and recommends the rear. I gave them a 15-20k budget and this is what the came up with. Just the suspension. Was 8k. Mel said his wife's jeep has the same kit.

They know what there doing over there. I know his wifes rubicon works pretty good so I'm sure there is a ryme to the reason.

did that include king bump stops? I'm not sure if there standard coil over program has internal bumps like the big dog kit.

Is this what your doing?

http://www.offroadevolution.com/sto...On&PHPSESSID=44b3eac629fb4c26f49b812e2b2786fd

http://www.offroadevolution.com/sto....R&PHPSESSID=44b3eac629fb4c26f49b812e2b2786fd

http://www.offroadevolution.com/store/proddetail.php?prod=EVO-FL-ARMS

Not sure where the 8K is coming from unless there getting you bad for labor?

Seems for 8K they should be able to do the whole enchilada long arm coil over?

http://www.offroadevolution.com/sto...ro&PHPSESSID=44b3eac629fb4c26f49b812e2b2786fd

Hugh Jascaulk

Reaction score
No bump stops
All the links is the stuff I'm getting

Front kit 1,750
Front Arms 420
Elvo drag link flip kit 300
Knuckle gusset 60
Rear kit 1,850
Front & rear drive shafts 1,350
Tax 470
Labor 1,800

If you're for hire, I'll gladly pay you for future stuff, you do some awesome work!

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
No bump stops
All the links is the stuff I'm getting

Front kit 1,750
Front Arms 420
Elvo drag link flip kit 300
Knuckle gusset 60
Rear kit 1,850
Front & rear drive shafts 1,350
Tax 470
Labor 1,800

If you're for hire, I'll gladly pay you for future stuff, you do some awesome work!

ahhh...drag link,driveshafts,etc... included in that price.:)

You might consider the front bump stops. They deffinatley make a difference on the bumps and hard pack.

The Labor deffinatley adds up fast.

Post pictures along the way it's going to be a bad ass build.

GET SOME

Reaction score
Drew is very professional and was truly impressed with the shop. They went above and beyond for me.

Hugh Jascaulk

Reaction score
Great start lots of nice parts going at it. Skip the 35's and go straight to 37's

5:13 gears

Flat fenders

Atx slab wheels

Evo skins

Dynatech 60 front and rear

Tell drew to sharpen his pencil and make you a deal[emoji12][emoji2]

Ok, added the poisen Spyder fenders and ATX slab wheels. Already had the Evo skins.

checking out of this thread before you guys cost me any more money.[emoji1]

Will post pics once all the parts come in and build gets started.

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
Ok, added the poisen Spyder fenders and ATX slab wheels. Already had the Evo skins.

checking out of this thread before you guys cost me any more money.[emoji1]

Will post pics once all the parts come in and build gets started.

Nice...

Who are you dealing with at ore?

Hugh Jascaulk

Reaction score
Drew and Mel at Offroad Evo. Told Drew today that you referred me. Maybe he'll kick you down something

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
Drew and Mel at Offroad Evo. Told Drew today that you referred me. Maybe he'll kick you down something

They will take good care of you. Let me know if you have any questions as the build progresses. Should be sweet in that military green Color.[emoji41]

Hugh Jascaulk

Reaction score
Got the Jeep home. These new Jeep's ride so much better than my 2000 TJ. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1425410615.898434.jpg

SJP

WHTBRD
Reaction score
Nice! Full speed ahead on the build. :D ColeTrickle will be by with more options now knowing he has more budget. :D

GET SOME

Reaction score
Nice! Full speed ahead on the build. :D ColeTrickle will be by with more options now knowing he has more budget. :D

Yep time for the evo long arm kit. For a little bit more you will have the baddest mofo. Your already 25k what's another couple

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
It's going to be a great build with top notch parts. I agree about adding the long arm kit. IMHO there is more to be gained with the coilovers with the long arm.

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
+1. If us TJ guys can come.:cool

I think a saturday run to big bear in a couple months once the weather gets a little warmer would be fun.

If your rig is set up to work honestly I don't think any of us care what you bring.

Alot of us have some pretty built up jeeps. I have no problem leading and spotting the group through gold mountain. I think that's a good medium trail with some challenges on a jeep with 33" + tires. We could get a stock jeep through with a good driver but its going to get some bumps and bruises along the way.

hit it early and then do lunch as a group?

Hugh Jascaulk

Reaction score
I'm in.
Just booked the Portal RV resort in Moab for a week at the end of May. Anyone ever been there? The videos look bad ass, some trails that you could really eff up your stuff. Got a group of 6 jeeps and blazers going.

rivrrts429

Arch Stanton...
Reaction score
I'm in.
Just booked the Portal RV resort in Moab for a week at the end of May. Anyone ever been there? The videos look bad ass, some trails that you could really eff up your stuff. Got a group of 6 jeeps and blazers going.

My piece of shit 2009 5th wheel is to old for that park. LOL

5 years or newer 5th wheels only. They cut you a break on the Class A motorhome though.. 10 years or newer [emoji2]

That's a nice place. Never been there but should be a nice place to stay.

Hugh Jascaulk

Reaction score
Same here, my moho is an 04 Winnebago Vectra Pusher. I had to send them pictures and they had to approve it for the resort side.

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
I'm in.

I did ejs last year and it was amazing. There is nothing like Moab when it comes to jeeping.

I ran a bunch of different trails and there isn't a lot you won't be able to do with good spotting. I would say avoid Pritchett canyon for sure.

We did mostly 6-8 trails.

The poison spider golden spike was a blast. Kane creek was also really good but I got some bush wacking because the leader led us astray down some bad branch areas. Also did metal masher at night that was fun.

My dad is going again this year. I have to pass as the wife can't get off the week from work.

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
I did ejs last year and it was amazing. There is nothing like Moab when it comes to jeeping.

I ran a bunch of different trails and there isn't a lot you won't be able to do with good spotting. I would say avoid Pritchett canyon for sure.

We did mostly 6-8 trails.

The poison spider golden spike was a blast. Kane creek was also really good but I got some bush wacking because the leader led us astray down some bad branch areas. Also did metal masher at night that was fun.

My dad is going again this year. I have to pass as the wife can't get off the week from work.

I just looked at your build again. I think I would scrap the ps fenders the first go around with 35's and put that into long arm. 35 and flats look kind of weird unless you barely lift it. You will have a ton of wheel gap.

Unless you just do 37 and gearing from the start....haha

Hugh Jascaulk

Reaction score
Let's see
Upgrade to long arm 3,000
Re-gear 1,000
Bigger tires 500

Just Empty Every Pocket - yep

SJP

WHTBRD
Reaction score
I think a saturday run to big bear in a couple months once the weather gets a little warmer would be fun.

If your rig is set up to work honestly I don't think any of us care what you bring.

Alot of us have some pretty built up jeeps. I have no problem leading and spotting the group through gold mountain. I think that's a good medium trail with some challenges on a jeep with 33" + tires. We could get a stock jeep through with a good driver but its going to get some bumps and bruises along the way.

hit it early and then do lunch as a group?

Sounds like a good time. Are any of you guys bringing your jeeps to Desert Storm? We could take a short run up to the falls or the cabin. That is also an easy night ride.

Hugh Jascaulk

Reaction score
I definitely need to address a few things before my trip. Is onboard air a necessity? I have a 10lb Co2 powertank, will that be enough to fill tires every day for a week? Won't be running any air tools.

A buddy of mine just became a distributor for 2 way air, a system that allows you to inflate or delete all 4 tires at the same.time, will probably pick it up from him

Cb/communication - in the buggy world everyone runs race radios over cb's. Much clearer comm., and far greater range. Why do jeepers insist on cb?

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
I definitely need to address a few things before my trip. Is onboard air a necessity? I have a 10lb Co2 powertank, will that be enough to fill tires every day for a week? Won't be running any air tools.

A buddy of mine just became a distributor for 2 way air, a system that allows you to inflate or delete all 4 tires at the same.time, will probably pick it up from him

Cb/communication - in the buggy world everyone runs race radios over cb's. Much clearer comm., and far greater range. Why do jeepers insist on cb?

I have both ova and a power tank. If I'm in a hurry I use the powertank. I figured having a good back up set up is good for the off the map trips. I typically bring air tools on the over nighters.

Cb sucks.....

We try to use race radios but most people don't have them it seems.

Did you get a spod? Best thing ever for simple effective and clean wiring.

Ultra28

Reaction score
Did you see the new Spod SE touchscreen? I'm pissed. I installed my Spod and now this is coming out soon. I want one.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ultra28

Reaction score

If you want. I can lend you this. It's the ARB system in a Pelican case. I'm still putting an on board system in, but got this for now.

ARB.jpg

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
Light bar question. I need to order the a pillar brackets and a light. I've been told that 50" is the length needed for the light. Are all of the light bar brands compatible with threaded end mounting capability? I just have this feeling that ordering brackets from one vendor and a light from another is going to be a problem getting it all to fit.

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
And how are you running the wire into the cab? Existing hole somewhere?

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
Did you see the new Spod SE touchscreen? I'm pissed. I installed my Spod and now this is coming out soon. I want one.

pretty cool...I like how you can control the lights

Last edited by a moderator:

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
Light bar question. I need to order the a pillar brackets and a light. I've been told that 50" is the length needed for the light. Are all of the light bar brands compatible with threaded end mounting capability? I just have this feeling that ordering brackets from one vendor and a light from another is going to be a problem getting it all to fit.

What mount are you looking at?

I would call the manufacturer and verify what size fits and then check with the light company for dimensions.

I know the poison spyder was made for a ridgid 50" but there are other companies out there now.

If your not looking to spend a ton my buddy shane offers a nice affordable package that he is running a sale on. He can also get you a great deal on lights.

Attachments

• americanoffroad.gif
    americanoffroad.gif
    70.4 KB · Views: 221

SJP

WHTBRD
Reaction score

The Poisen Spyder brackets exact fit an E series 2 row 50 inch rigid or S series single row rigid. 1 minute install - if you go with another light fit it to the bracket before sending it to powder coat. You can make the threaded work fine but you will be modifying the bracket a touch.