Bad accident at Lake Cumberand PR

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
So sad for the families.:(:(

From my POS T-mobile thingie

Patyacht

Reaction score
So sad but this is the 2nd accident of this type this year. Time to learn for all of us. Was the lead - red boat angling right or did the green boat angle to the left or a little of both. Wonder if there was any helo shots.

jayboat

naplesimage.com
Reaction score
9697261240_251e8e7103_o.jpg

Hammer

Reaction score
Its looks like the same accident the M 35 had at DS.

Crazy.

X2 , I still wonder why their is a spectator boat that far out, doesn't leave much room for other boats, I wonder if the 40ss stayed tight to the red boat because he wanted to leave room for the boat to his right, it seems like it comes awfully close to that spectator boat when it goes by......

Either way, Sucks RIP :(

rvrrat350

Reaction score
X2 , I still wonder why their is a spectator boat that far out, doesn't leave much room for other boats, I wonder if the 40ss stayed tight to the red boat because he wanted to leave room for the boat to his right, it seems like it comes awfully close to that spectator boat when it goes by......

X3
thought the same exact thing when i saw the video!!
just with much worse results!! RIP

eddie

Reaction score
RIP Brad & Jeff, two awesome guys taken way too soon.

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score
Being involved in racing personally. Rollers are a huge problem. It could mean the difference between perfection and tragedy. Racing in uncontrolled waters can be extremely dangerous. Be smart and don't create rollers for boat traffic if the water is shared with a sanctioned event and a public waterway. Not saying this was the case here but it is never a good thing.

RIP. prayers go out to the families. Good speed.

Except that poker runs are not races.

rivrrts429

Arch Stanton...
Reaction score
Its looks like the same accident the M 35 had at DS.

Crazy.

Very similar. These guys were experienced boaters which makes me believe the last thing they wanted to do was to pull that maneuver. Not sure if another video from a different angle will surface, but they must of felt that was the only option they had.

Old Texan

Honorary Warden #377 Emeritus - R.I.P.
Reaction score
Sadly high speeds and big power come with accidents and too often tragedy. Danger is always there and should never be taken for granted. Rules can be changed and rules can be added, but danger will still be there and tragedy will find an opening no one thought about or could prevent w/o stopping folks from doing what they love.

And those guys were doing what they loved. RIP to them and thoughts for the families and friends.

SJP

WHTBRD
Reaction score
RIP - condolences to family and friends.

HighVoltage329

Reaction score

I thought the spectator boat looked close also. Could be the camera angle though. RIP

sirbob

Reaction score

It kind of looked like he was trying to avoid the boat floating in the middle of the lake ?

Like be needed to slip behind the lead boat ?

Too bad

Last edited by a moderator:

Flyinbowtie

Reaction score
Very sad. Godspeed to those lost, and prayers for the families and friends left behind.

Outdrive1

Outdrive1 Marine Sales https://www.outdrive1.com/
Reaction score
It's just crazy to think the M35 did almost the exact same thing. These guys had more experience? Those two accidents need to shown at the drivers meeting of every poker run. So that people know what happens when you're running at high speed and cross to closely behind another boat wake.

Outdrive1

Outdrive1 Marine Sales https://www.outdrive1.com/
Reaction score
don't follow so close.

Seriously. Both boats (M35 and this Skater) instead of backing off, got caught up in the moment and didn't want to give up any ground. 2 guys paid the ultimate price for it. Not saying I wouldn't get caught up in it too. I guess just being informed next time might make some people realize what can happen.

Last edited:

Wicky

Mr. Potatohead
Reaction score
Except that poker runs are not races.
I have a feeling that after this tragic event, poker runs will be a thing of the past. Just sayin'.

Last edited:

Eli

Banned
Reaction score
It's just crazy to think the M35 did almost the exact same thing. These guys had more experience? Those two accidents need to shown at the drivers meeting of every poker run. So that people know what happens when you're running at high speed and cross to closely behind another boat wake.

That's a very good idea. I think most people know that it's dangerous ...but actually watching the video would make a more significant impact.

It's terrible that they didn't survive. It's a horrible tragedy. :(

Patyacht

Reaction score
I have a feeling that after this tragic event, poker runs will be a thing of the past. Just sayin'.
Not sure you are correct. We may see different formats for PR's now and it will be interesting to see how insurance companies react. Don't want to post any suggestions here but they have options also. We need to see another picture angle to really learn from this accident.

Vmjtc3

Banned
Reaction score

Generally speaking, and I am not trying to disagree 100%, usually action starts happening to attempt to make things safer after spectators are killed or injured. It's generally accepted that participants know the risk, and choose to do it anyway. No one can see the future, but I would be willing to bet, that these events bring to much money to the local economies to have any local ordinances put in to place. That leaves the other government agencies to step in, and without the support of the local agencies I don't see that happening. Again just my thoughts, on the subject, I hope they don't do away with them, but at some point I see them going to a closed course, and that will suck from a spectators point of view......

420HOA

FIRM MEMBER
Reaction score
Wow, tough to read this, RIP, thoughts and prayers to all involved.

TOBTEK

Reaction score
very very sad to see anyone loose their lives. Moreso while out playin around. Chit just happends SO FAST at those speeds. I've only been at mid 130's in a F32..... was too fast for me. Rip gentlemen.

HPBoats83

Reaction score
Didn't the blue "Victory" boat have the same thing happen about 10 years ago that killed 2 people as well? Don't remember if they ran up a roost or not

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 4

Cajun

Reaction score
Generally speaking, and I am not trying to disagree 100%, usually action starts happening to attempt to make things safer after spectators are killed or injured. It's generally accepted that participants know the risk, and choose to do it anyway. No one can see the future, but I would be willing to bet, that these events bring to much money to the local economies to have any local ordinances put in to place. That leaves the other government agencies to step in, and without the support of the local agencies I don't see that happening. Again just my thoughts, on the subject, I hope they don't do away with them, but at some point I see them going to a closed course, and that will suck from a spectators point of view......

We've lost a few events like this for two reasons. 1, The city will not issue a permit after such a tragedy to participants or spectators. 2, the insurance premium is so high that a policy cannot be feasibly obtained.

Vmjtc3

Banned
Reaction score
We've lost a few events like this for two reasons. 1, The city will not issue a permit after such a tragedy to participants or spectators. 2, the insurance premium is so high that a policy cannot be feasibly obtained.

I don't disagree that it can and has happened, but to the extent of the end of the poker runs, I don't think it will happen. Like I said, I can't see the future, I base my opinion on the way things have evolved in the past in different forms of competition. I hope it does not end up that way, only time will tell.

Hammer

Reaction score
Another view :(

Last edited by a moderator:

Havasu Hangin'

Lord of the Drinks
Reaction score
Wow

[video=youtube;hvZdPk9Mgzw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hvZdPk9Mgzw[/video]

JD D05

Reaction score
Jeez there are even boats crossing in front of them

rivrrts429

Arch Stanton...
Reaction score
So the lead boat was avoiding the spectator boat?

Damn...

PVHCA

Reaction score
IMO from this last video the organizers should have their balls in a sling. How can they let spectator boats just non nonchalantly cross in front of Poker Run boats? Now I understand that this is a public lake but give me a fucking break, advise non participants to stay off the course while the participants are under way. Absolute stupidity in so many ways.

RIP guys, too bad some lame as fuck caused your deaths.

IN AWE

I'm surounded by assholes
Reaction score
IMO from this last video the organizers should have their balls in a sling. How can they let spectator boats just non nonchalantly cross in front of Poker Run boats? Now I understand that this is a public lake but give me a fucking break, advise non participants to stay off the course while the participants are under way. Absolute stupidity in so many ways.

RIP guys, too bad some lame as fuck caused your deaths.

You can't blame the organizers, the people on the lake, the insurance company, the city/county/state, Santa Claus or the Easter bunny for that matter. The ONLY thing responsible for this accident is the rate of speed that the boat was traveling. The only ones to blame for the rate of speed is, unfortunately the operators in this case. If you are on an open course, you must act like you are on an open coarse.

Discretion is the better part of valor, live to race another day.

Once again I will say it, my prayers go out to the family and friends.

Last edited:

Sharpy

Reaction score
Why didn't the throttle man just chop his sticks if he saw that boat? I understand the potential 200k+ in engine damages, but you'd think the boat would drop down in the water enough to keep it from sailing.... Sad sad deal anyway.... :(

Don Johnson

Don Johnson
Reaction score
All life lost is tragic. Boating has been a huge part of my life, all of my life, and my condolences to all family and friends of the deceased. From my perspective at least they were doing something they loved to do.

All motorsports carry risks and when pushing the envelope those risks run high. That said, I cannot speculate why the boat was idling across the lake in front of the lead pack. I do believe it is impossible for organizers, insurance, police etc to communicate with every boater on a huge lake like Cumberland that a Poker run is taking place. Thus I believe it is not logical to assume that everyone boating on that huge lake was aware that a Poker Run was taking place and where they should expect the boats to be and when. It is also illogical to believe that the entire lake can be effectively policed to insure that a boater is not in the wrong place at the wrong time. I personally have a pretty fast boat and I am always looking way in front of me and if I see anything that concerns me I slow down until I am past the potential hazard. It is very hard to anticipate and be ready for everything, especially for what is around the next turn or blind corner. The person driving the boat in front of the pack could have been a dumb ass for sure, but the person may not have had any knowledge of what was coming towards them either. This is the problem with Poker Runs, they are not sanctioned races and thus the waterway is not regulated. The police and officials do their best but short of closing the lake or creating a closed course not sure that this scenario can be totally avoided.

Vmjtc3

Banned
Reaction score
The ONLY thing responsible for this accident is the rate of speed that the boat was traveling.

Some math to consider about the speed of the boat. Reported speed was 160mph, or about 235 feet per second, or a nice round number is a football field in a tick over a second. How much visibility was there at the time. Due to the shape of the lake or the angle the guy in the cruiser was positioned to the open lake he was going to cross. Lets go out on a limb and say he could see between 1/4 and 1/2 of a mile. At a 1/2 of a mile he had 11 seconds from seeing them to being run over, at a 1/4 of a mile he had 5.5 seconds from seeing them until being run over, and thats only if he looked up river in that 5.5-11 seconds before being freight trained at 160 mph. Thats a whole lot of ground being covered in a short amount of time. Hell in a 27 foot bayliner you would probably look over to see if they were coming, no one in site for 1/2 a mile, hammer the throttle, and be freight trained before you got on plane. Not saying anyone is right or wrong here, just thought the numbers were pretty astounding. I just was curious and wanted to get a mental picture of how fast these guys are covering distance......

ClownRoyal

Reaction score
After watching the last video several times...it looks to me that the lead boat maneuvered a little left to avoid the spectator boat cutting in front going to their right. The 2nd boat didn't maneuver as such and got caught in the rooster of the lead boat. Hard to say. F$cked up deal all the way around.

Boschma

Wish I was at the River
Reaction score
Seriously. Both boats (M35 and this Skater) instead of backing off, got caught up in the moment and didn't want to give up any ground. 2 guys paid the ultimate price for it. Not saying I wouldn't get caught up in it too. I guess just being informed next time might make some people realize what can happen.

I was thinking the same thing. Seem like both accidents could of been avoided if someone just lifted off the throttle when things got too tight. Sad deal. :thumbsdown

IN AWE

I'm surounded by assholes
Reaction score
Some math to consider about the speed of the boat. Reported speed was 160mph, or about 235 feet per second, or a nice round number is a football field in a tick over a second. How much visibility was there at the time. Due to the shape of the lake or the angle the guy in the cruiser was positioned to the open lake he was going to cross. Lets go out on a limb and say he could see between 1/4 and 1/2 of a mile. At a 1/2 of a mile he had 11 seconds from seeing them to being run over, at a 1/4 of a mile he had 5.5 seconds from seeing them until being run over, and thats only if he looked up river in that 5.5-11 seconds before being freight trained at 160 mph. Thats a whole lot of ground being covered in a short amount of time. Hell in a 27 foot bayliner you would probably look over to see if they were coming, no one in site for 1/2 a mile, hammer the throttle, and be freight trained before you got on plane. Not saying anyone is right or wrong here, just thought the numbers were pretty astounding. I just was curious and wanted to get a mental picture of how fast these guys are covering distance......

I agree 100%, but it does not negate my original point. The speed is the factor that cause this incident, only due to the fact that it was not a closed coarse. You're correct about the visibility factor and being freight trained, therefore the speed was in excess of what was safe for the conditions.

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score

I doubt it. If they would have ran into and killed a bystander, then I might be more inclined to agree.

If participants are going to treat it as a closed course race then it should be one.

Last edited: