WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Best Jet Gains

spectramitch

Reaction score
I have a 20 Spectra with a Bored over Ford and Berkeley jet, Dominator Bowl, Hydraulic Diverter, a sport loader and was told it has a stuffer. What gains, if any would I see from adding a droop snoot or inducer? Is there anything else to add to day cruisers to help performance?
IMG_0657.JPG

mash on it

Beyond Hell Crew
Reaction score
Ditch the sport loader and rudder. Mill intake for shoe and ride plate. Then have custom loader built for the combo. A full droop might drag in the water without a ride plate.

While the pump is apart, put in a detailed stainless AA impeller, with an inducer.

Top all that off with a ProCharger. Then you might be at 70 mph. Again, might.

Mine, a 76 Eliminator Day cruiser, (heavy ass bitch) 500 hp +/-, 61 mph on GPS, upriver.

That's all I got.

Dan'l

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Ditch the sport loader and rudder. Mill intake for shoe and ride plate. Then have custom loader built for the combo. A full droop might drag in the water without a ride plate.

While the pump is apart, put in a detailed stainless AA impeller, with an inducer.

Top all that off with a ProCharger. Then you might be at 70 mph. Again, might.

Mine, a 76 Eliminator Day cruiser, (heavy ass bitch) 500 hp +/-, 61 mph on GPS, upriver.

That's all I got.

Dan'l

I don’t think it’s ginna Run 70 unless it’s got some serious hp. When we redid forensics boat I want to say it runs mid sixties and he’s 500 and something?

mash on it

Beyond Hell Crew
Reaction score
Might, Dave, MIGHT run 70, with a ProCharger.

Might.

Dan'l

spectramitch

Reaction score
The motor is somewhat built I would say, not 500hp for sure but a strong motor. So with just adding an inducer, ride plate, droop I probably will not see much a performance difference top end, but what will the hole shot be affected?

jet496

Reaction score
The droop won't do much for speed, but adds versatility for getting out of the hole & might help you get the hull out of the water a bit. I had them on my last 2 boats, but was about to take it off my last one because it was so long on the back.

Play around with impeller sizes, good intake shoe, inducer impeller & the procharger if the motor can handle it).

farmo83

Reaction score
An inducer will help holeshot but that's a pretty heavy boat for a jet, I don't know if you would "feel" the difference. Loader grates help to but make sure your motor can pull it. A guy my dad used to boat with put a loader grate on his boat and it bogged it down.

Texas Jet has a 70+ baja and a CP jet that will run a hole in the wind. Perhaps he'll chime in. I'm sure he's forgot more about jets then most will know.

wzuber

Reaction score
Just my .02.... h.p is going to be your single most beneficial improvement to getting a larger, heavier boat like that moving faster. Hows the keel of the boat look leading into the intake? Is it flat, smooth and clean with a nice rounded entry into the intake in front of the grate area and beyond? No sharp angles, turns into the intake adapter? Does the hull have a bunch of hook in it? Have you put a straight edge on the bottom to determine its condition? Next would be a good modern impeller with AGGRessive bite, vanes etc. droop to help lift the boat and reduce drag, next ride plate, then adjustable shoe etc. but that (adj. shoe/ride plate combo) requires complete removal of eng, pump, intake adapter, send out for machining etc. and reassembly, i.e considerable $ investment and you still need well over 500 hp to even begin to take advantage of that time/$ investment. How's that sounding so far? fun, doable? lol You may noticibly benefit some from a Place Diverter droop/ride place dealio and avoid the hi-perf., $ style method. I would't waste money on an inducer at this point, wait until you do a complete pump rebuild and have an extra $400.00 to waste/burn. Inducers are really more for drag race applications where your looking for every last ounce of performance. Sure their popular but not really necessary for most recreational applications, a tighter, efficient well built pump will be more $ beneficial..How $$$ fast did you say you wanted to go?

Last edited:

Gelcoater

Reaction score
Just my .02.... h.p is going to be your single most beneficial improvement to getting a larger, heavier boat like that moving faster. Hows the keel of the boat look leading into the intake? Is it flat, smooth and clean with a nice rounded entry into the intake in front of the grate area and beyond? No sharp angles, turns into the intake adapter? Does the hull have a bunch of hook in it? Have you put a straight edge on the bottom to determine its condition? Next would be a good modern impeller with AGGRessive bite, vanes etc. droop to help lift the boat and reduce drag, next ride plate, then adjustable shoe etc. but that (adj. shoe/ride plate combo) requires complete removal of eng, pump, intake adapter, send out for machining etc. and reassembly, i.e considerable $ investment and you still need well over 500 hp to even begin to take advantage of that time/$ investment. How's that sounding so far? fun, doable? lol You may noticibly benefit some from a Place Diverter droop/ride place dealio and avoid the hi-perf., $ style method. I would't waste money on an inducer at this point, wait until you do a complete pump rebuild and have an extra $400.00 to waste/burn. Inducers are really more for drag race applications where your looking for every last ounce of performance. Sure their popular but not really necessary for most recreational applications, a tighter, efficient well built pump will be more $ beneficial..How $$$ fast did you say you wanted to go?
Good post.
After reading through the thread you addressed what I would have. The bottom.
Before you throw money at engine and pump set up, make sure the bottom is true.

wzuber

Reaction score
Good post.
After reading through the thread you addressed what I would have. The bottom.
Before you throw money at engine and pump set up, make sure the bottom is true.[/QUOTE

Thanks GC. boats are much like women.... at times fun and frustrating, expensive but typically worth it if your in it for the duration and lastly not all bottoms are the same. Some are great right outa the mold and others need a little work. lol

Quicksilver

Reaction score
I got 62.9 mph out of my Spectra 18 with JE pump. I have a mild 460 with a loader, A impellar.

wzuber

Reaction score
I got 62.9 mph out of my Spectra 18 with JE pump. I have a mild 460 with a loader, A impellar.
that's quite respectable with that combo. Spectra's are a good but heavier hull. They must have paid close attention when they set that insert in the mold and built the hull. Toss up a pic if ya got one hangin around.

Quicksilver

Reaction score
that's quite respectable with that combo. Spectra's are a good but heavier hull. They must have paid close attention when they set that insert in the mold and built the hull. Toss up a pic if ya got one hangin around.
Thanks. That speed was on gps. The boat isn't much fun at that speed, its more of a cruiser.