WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Billet Air Cleaner housing

allblowdup

Reaction score
IMG_0954.jpg IMG_0955.jpg

Hey that looks familiar. made this a couple years ago for my race boat.

parker ed

Reaction score
I hope to have the bottom piece finished today.

Brian[/QUOTE]

Well???? :D

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score

Slavedriver, damn. :)

I made tooling to hold it better, my brother came into town and I haven't seen him for 5 years, we went to the bank to drop off some checks, and drank beers the rest of the day. :)

Sorry

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
attachment.php

Trying to get back to this. Took a couple days off.

I have more add on pulleys to prototype and other parts that need to ship before years end. Not enough Brian's to go around.

Spent a couple hours today making these hold downs to make sure it doesn't move. That stock was pricey and I would rather not buy another because of a mistake. :)

Figured I would at least update for those who are following along.

Brian

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
attachment.php

Bottom roughed out and the extra stock removed.

As a machinist, this starts getting scary about now. A shitload of time wrapped up in an expensive piece of material now clamped down goofy, one tool or programming mistake and you have to start over because you can't back up and do over.

Right about now is where you start earning your paycheck. :)

Brian

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
Client called yesterday and wanted to swing by today.

So I finished the details of the bottom piece while we BS'd and did a test fit while he was here. What could go wrong? :)

He said he was pleased and it was what he hoped it would look like. I asked him again to sign up and post, but...it is what it is.

I am happy he is happy, when you do custom stuff for as long as I have, sometimes either party doesn't have the same vision, and shit goes sideways. :)

Brian

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
attachment.php

Fit the filter to the housing so the client could see it assembled.

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
I am also under my target weight, by a couple pounds, which I was pretty pleased with.

I had considered putting some lightening features in between the TB's, we will see what the timeline is like when I get done with the top and what the client thinks at that point.

attachment.php

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
Looks great Brian! :thumbsup what was your final step over on those inlet radii? like .005 or so? finish looks nice :thumbsup

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
Looks great Brian! :thumbsup what was your final step over on those inlet radii? like .005 or so? finish looks nice :thumbsup

Thanks Racey,

Inlet radii were done with a 3/4 corner rounding endmill. Backside was done with a 3/4 ball and a .025 step.

Brian

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
Thanks Racey,

Inlet radii were done with a 3/4 corner rounding endmill. Backside was done with a 3/4 ball and a .025 step.

Brian

Big cutter! after looking at the pics on my computer I can see the tooling marks, makes sense :thumbsup

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
Is your tooling carbide or hss?

Depends, the long or short answer?

For aluminum.....Some roughing tools work with no noticeable difference with HSS. Carbide isn't always a benefit, coupled with the increased cost.

Finishing tools are almost exclusively carbide.

The corner rounder is HSS. I imagine that girl would be $1000 if it were carbide.

For steel, with few exceptions, almost all of the tools are fluted carbide tools or inserted carbide.

Brian

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
It happens. Haven't been back on it. I did some programming for the top but I had to run other projects to keep the lights on.

It isn't peaches and cream over here all the time. :)

Brian

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
attachment.php

Under my target estimate as well. This housing was built a bit thicker than I normally do because of the possibility of it getting stepped on.

I am pretty happy with the final weight, ended up around 2lbs lighter than I estimated.

Brian

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
attachment.php

Test fit giving the filter it's new form.

parker ed

Reaction score
Looking good!! Any detail work on the top or is it just going to stay flat?

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
Looking good!! Any detail work on the top or is it just going to stay flat?

The topside is going to stay flat as far as I know, judging by the throttle bodies, I am sure this girl will be getting a full polish.

Brian

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
I stalled, working on the standoffs. Had the assembly together today and the standoffs are all .04 too short. F.M.L.

I am remaking them right meow.

Brian

DEROOSTER

Reaction score
This project started October 16th 2015. Your customer is saying F.M.L right now as well.