WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Bumped into some Polaris people yesterday,,

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
The new Rzr XP1000 4 seat has had some serious belt grenading problems.

By dumb luck yesterday while out in the OC I happened onto the guys testing a solution to the issue and they clue'd me into to what's happening.

The current Polaris CVT Clutch/pully/helix is set-up for engine braking on de-celleration, and has a helix that doesn't move much cooling airflow.
So the pulley will keep intermittently biting the belt in certain driving conditions both heating and damaging the belt through friction.
At 300 degrees F the belt pukes, or it just shreds from all the on and off contact or a combo of both.

So Polaris engineers have figured out the EPI clutch/pully/helix is the solution.
The EPI has a improved Helix for more cooling, and it doesn't bite the belt on deceleration.
They've been in Glamis the past week extensively testing the EPI and the solution is forth coming.

EPI is behind on production because they are swamped with orders from owners that on their own, figured out the problem and cure already.
EPI is plug and play. 20 minutes max to install one and be on your way. Hell, probably 10 minutes.
The Dirty Dawg is another after market solution, but ya have to dial it in with the weights and adjustments which is cool, a lot of guys like that option.

Some Polaris dealers have been the problem putting owners into fits of rage.
Even if Polaris picks up the tab for the retro-fit,, some dealers are trying to double dip and charge the customer anyway,, or even some dealers are just too lazy or stupid to help their customers goes the tales from the internet.

Berts is a good place for the fix, Simi Polaris is also a good place and in Northern California Concord Trailer / Polaris is also fixing the XP1000 4 in good faith no extra charge as parts become available.

Judge Jay and Procecutin' Peggys XP1K4 seater grenaded clutch/belt:

DSCN0240.jpg

DSCN0243.jpg

Attachments

• DSCN0242.jpg
    DSCN0242.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 146
Last edited:

throttle

c ya on da lake
Reaction score
Last week while at the dealer, I asked about the new fix, there wasn't any feedback yet as they me told about the testing in Glamis. This is great info. Thanks for posting.

Conveniently, I had driven the RZR to the dealer on this visit, the service guys did a quick inspection and questionnaire with me and submitted my claim for upgrade. I have not experienced any belt issues to date but am looking forward to the fix.

cnj

Reaction score
Glad they are actively correcting their design issues. Looks like 2015 will be the year to buy.

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
Last week while at the dealer, I asked about the new fix, there wasn't any feedback yet as they me told about the testing in Glamis. This is great info. Thanks for posting.

Conveniently, I had driven the RZR to the dealer on this visit, the service guys did a quick inspection and questionnaire with me and submitted my claim for upgrade. I have not experienced any belt issues to date but am looking forward to the fix.

:thumbsup

Glad they are actively correcting their design issues. Looks like 2015 will be the year to buy.

Latest rumor from those that have been reliable in the past is Polaris is testing their XP1000 turbo for release next year.
Pure rumor at this point but from people within the company, and a camshaft vendor.

dschifan

Reaction score

Latest rumor from those that have been reliable in the past is Polaris is testing their XP1000 turbo for release next year.
Pure rumor at this point but from people within the company, and a camshaft vendor.

Oh man now were talking! Glad I decided to wait till this next year!

throttle

c ya on da lake
Reaction score
Got the new helix work done this week. Polaris backed up the parts and labor. It was mentioned that I might lose a little of the top end speed. I prolly won't even notice, looking forward to testing it out tho. :D