WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

California Mulls Plan That Would Place Mileage Tax on Drivers

RitcheyRch

Currently Boat-Less
Reaction score
Looks like the recent gas tax hike and registration fee increase wasn't enough

http://ktla.com/2017/12/12/california-mulls-plan-that-would-place-mileage-tax-on-drivers/

California may be moving closer to charging drivers for every mile they drive.

The state says it needs more money for road repairs, and the gas tax just isn’t bringing in enough revenue, according to Bay Area television station KPIX.

Recently, it road-tested a mileage monitoring plan.

The California Road Charge Pilot Program is billed as a way for the state to move from its longstanding pump tax to a system where drivers pay based on their mileage.

But it’s not just a question about money; it’s also a question about fairness, according to state lawmakers.

State Sen. Scott Wiener, D-San Francisco, and others are saying that when it comes to road taxes, it’s time to start looking at charging you by the mile rather than by the gallon.

“If you own an older vehicle that is fueled by gas, you’re paying gas tax to maintain the roads. Someone who has an electric vehicle or a dramatically more fuel efficient vehicle is paying much less than you are. But they are still using the roads,” Wiener said.

“People are going to use less and less gas in the long run,” he said.

And less gas means less gas tax — and less money for road repairs.

“We want to make sure that all cars are paying to maintain the roads,” Wiener said.

One idea would be installing devices that would clock your mileage every time you pull up to the pump or electric car charging station; another is to put a tracker on every car.

“The reality is that if you have a smartphone your data of where you are traveling is already in existence,” Wiener said.

None of this is sitting well with drivers such as Joshua Li, the owner of a hybrid BMW.

Li said he saves around $200 a month by not using gas and said he would definitely not be happy if his driving was taxed per mile.

Randy Rentschler, of the Metropolitan Transportation Commission, said one answer would be to raise the gas tax and up the vehicle registration fee for electric cars. The gas tax was already recently increased in the state, and is being targeted by opponents who are working to gather enough signatures to potentially repeal it on the 2018 ballot.

“If you buy a small car that gets great fuel economy, we don’t get enough money to repair the roads … but the fact of the matter is people are buying trucks,” Rentschler said.

However, raising vehicle registration fees and taxing people with fuel-efficient, hybrid or electric vehicles could also discourage people from purchasing such vehicles.

Fuel-efficient, hybrid and electric vehicles are key to reducing vehicle emissions and improving air quality around the world.

spectra3279

Vaginamoney broke
Reaction score
Looks like the recent gas tax hike and registration fee increase wasn't enough

http://ktla.com/2017/12/12/california-mulls-plan-that-would-place-mileage-tax-on-drivers/

California may be moving closer to charging drivers for every mile they drive.

The state says it needs more money for road repairs, and the gas tax just isn’t bringing in enough revenue, according to Bay Area television station KPIX.

Recently, it road-tested a mileage monitoring plan.

The California Road Charge Pilot Program is billed as a way for the state to move from its longstanding pump tax to a system where drivers pay based on their mileage.

But it’s not just a question about money; it’s also a question about fairness, according to state lawmakers.

State Sen. Scott Wiener, D-San Francisco, and others are saying that when it comes to road taxes, it’s time to start looking at charging you by the mile rather than by the gallon.

“If you own an older vehicle that is fueled by gas, you’re paying gas tax to maintain the roads. Someone who has an electric vehicle or a dramatically more fuel efficient vehicle is paying much less than you are. But they are still using the roads,” Wiener said.

“People are going to use less and less gas in the long run,” he said.

And less gas means less gas tax — and less money for road repairs.

“We want to make sure that all cars are paying to maintain the roads,” Wiener said.

One idea would be installing devices that would clock your mileage every time you pull up to the pump or electric car charging station; another is to put a tracker on every car.

“The reality is that if you have a smartphone your data of where you are traveling is already in existence,” Wiener said.

None of this is sitting well with drivers such as Joshua Li, the owner of a hybrid BMW.

Li said he saves around $200 a month by not using gas and said he would definitely not be happy if his driving was taxed per mile.

Randy Rentschler, of the Metropolitan Transportation Commission, said one answer would be to raise the gas tax and up the vehicle registration fee for electric cars. The gas tax was already recently increased in the state, and is being targeted by opponents who are working to gather enough signatures to potentially repeal it on the 2018 ballot.

“If you buy a small car that gets great fuel economy, we don’t get enough money to repair the roads … but the fact of the matter is people are buying trucks,” Rentschler said.

However, raising vehicle registration fees and taxing people with fuel-efficient, hybrid or electric vehicles could also discourage people from purchasing such vehicles.

Fuel-efficient, hybrid and electric vehicles are key to reducing vehicle emissions and improving air quality around the world.
How about using the taxes for the road on the road. Quit using it for the bullet train, welfare, illegals and whatever else it gets used for.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

rivrrts429

Arch Stanton...
Reaction score
How about using the taxes for the road on the road. Quit using it for the bullet train, welfare, illegals and whatever else it gets used for.

I️ just read an article where they discovered some of this new gas tax was being siphoned off for Lifeguards through some backdoor scheme.

For the life of me, whether it’s R’s or D’s, I️ can’t understand how people think our governments and be trusted.

lard ass

Banned
Reaction score
How about a tax on politi
I️ just read an article where they discovered some of this new gas tax was being siphoned off for Lifeguards through some backdoor scheme.

For the life of me, whether it’s R’s or D’s, I️ can’t understand how people think our governments and be trusted.

Lifeguards are heroes.

thetub

Reaction score
they aint gonna stop until they get 80 cents of every dollar you make...

but i thought Kalifornia was flush with cash??

hate to be the bad guy but pensions are killing the state. i wish everyone the best and hope they can retire making 3 times their pay but math is a bitch...

Last edited:

RodnJen

Reaction score
they aint gonna stop until they get 80 cents of every dollar you make...

but i thought Kalifornia was flush with cash??

hate to be the bad guy but pensions are killing the state. i wish everyone the best and hope they can retire making 3 times their pay but math is a bitch...

I think you meant a third of their pay, but that's ok.

thetub

Reaction score
I think you meant a third of their pay, but that's ok.

hey Rod my father worked for over 60 years paid into the Government coffers for Social Security and everything else...

God rest his sole and now my mother barely collects peanuts in social security and they just lowered it...

so ya it sucks, but fu-k them dont need the crumbs they give back its a big pyramid scheme anyways just like the public pension plans...

public employees should make their own investments like everyone else...

Tank

Reaction score
Couple things here...
A) Some of that shit sounds like some serious big brother shenanigans ("your cell phone already tracks that info" & "putting trackers on cars..."???) Uh, no.
B) Couldn't agree more regarding mis-managed money of this state! When the hell are the residents of this state going to wake up and realize those in charge are driving it into the ground and demand accountability?!
C) with that said, I actually like the idea of a mileage tax with the caveat they get rid of registration tax and lower gas tax. Makes perfect sense you are taxed by how much you use the road just as you're taxed by how much you purchase something.

Another thing, isn't it ironic that Ca pushes so hard for "environmentally friendly" (ie electric) vehicles but now complains that they're losing revenue!? Way to plan dipshits.

RodnJen

Reaction score
hey Rod my father worked for over 60 years paid into the Government coffers for Social Security and everything else...

God rest his sole and now my mother barely collects peanuts in social security and they just lowered it...

so ya it sucks, but fu-k them dont need the crumbs they give back its a big pyramid scheme anyways just like the public pension plans...

Sorry to hear about your Mom.

Soc. Sec. is a federal welfare plan. Pensions are a very different mathematical and legal structure that are funded and accounted for in entirely different ways.

thetub

Reaction score

Soc. Sec. is a federal welfare plan. Pensions are a very different mathematical and legal structure that are funded and accounted for in entirely different ways.

yore missing the point...

they are ponzi schemes that people are forced to participate in to collect money and piss it away on other things...

people in private or public should be able to make THEIR own investments as they see fit...

on top of that public pensions are partially being paid by the public so the public are getting double fu-ced...

Tank

Reaction score
yore missing the point...

they are ponzi schemes that people are forced to participate in to collect money and piss it away on other things...

people in private or public should be able to make THEIR own investments as they see fit...

on top of that public pensions are partially being paid by the public so the public are getting double fu-ced...

Where's all those billions of dollars in lotto money that was supposed to go to schools?

I'm part of the public retirement system and have a LOT into it (PERS) and still agree they should be capped. I in no way will be making more retired than I do working. Most people I know in PERS agree it should be capped as well, even those that stand to lose money. Most see the big picture that reform is needed if it's going to survive.

spectra3279

Vaginamoney broke
Reaction score

Why does social security run out of money, but welfare doesnt

thetub

Reaction score
Where's all those billions of dollars in lotto money that was supposed to go to schools?

I'm part of the public retirement system and have a LOT into it (PERS) and still agree they should be capped. I in no way will be making more retired than I do working. Most people I know in PERS agree it should be capped as well, even those that stand to lose money. Most see the big picture that reform is needed if it's going to survive.

agreed look at the lotto money where is it??? being used to fund what???

the elephant in the room is the massive debt of close to a trillion in pension debt in Kalifornia...

again have at it let people make 2 or 3 times there salary, but please do not take my retirement from me via taxation from property tax etc like Rod wants...

my mother is on fixed income and Rod now wants to get rid of prop. 13 which will double maybe triple the amount she pays...

but fu-k her right???

he needs his right to receive his retirement in the meantime taking others???

Last edited:

thetub

Reaction score
Why does social security run out of money, but welfare doesnt

its federal welfare... like Rod says...

my father built a business created payroll , property ,income , sales tax etc... and gets a slap in the face...

at one point payroll was north of peoples salaries just for a week...

but like Rod says we had other coals in the fire or something??

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
This will never happen. They are just trotting this out as a threat because the repeal of the gas and car taxes are gaining steam and they want to quell the sheeple. I like how the tax increases are in effect for one month and they start claiming "It is not enough!!" "Think of the children!!".

Although.. I say bring it.

I will go buy an old truck and fill the bed with a few 55 gallon drums. Yep, tax me.. I've driven 3 miles and I need 200 gallons of gas.

Meaney77

Reaction score
C) with that said, I actually like the idea of a mileage tax with the caveat they get rid of registration tax and lower gas tax. Makes perfect sense you are taxed by how much you use the road just as you're taxed by how much you purchase something.

I like the idea but for it to work, wouldn't all states need to implement the same tax? Think about all of the out of state cross country truck drivers that fuck up these roads, they use them, they fuck themup but if what your saying is an option- you and I get stuck paying for this shit in California while they keep on driving to their residence in some other state.

spectra3279

Vaginamoney broke
Reaction score
I like the idea but for it to work, wouldn't all states need to implement the same tax? Think about all of the out of state cross country truck drivers that fuck up these roads, they use them, they fuck themup but if what your saying is an option- you and I get stuck paying for this shit in California while they keep on driving to their residence in some other state.
I'm already taxed that way. The more miles I drive the more fuel I burn the more in tax I pay.

Hell I even have to pay gas tax to mow my fucking yard or to wash my car. A pressure washer and a lawn mower do not use the street

Tank

Reaction score

Just spit ballin' here.....While I'm not for GPS trackers on my personal car....Considering most large commercial truck companies already use GPS trackers it wouldn't be far fetched to make some system that clocks their route and mileage that's activated upon entry into the state. Commercial trucks are already hugely enforced by CHP, not difficult to get compliance via scales and other commercial veh stops. HUGE fines for failing to comply or trying to cheat the system. You should see some of the absolutely crazy commercial veh violation fines already. The incentive to do things by the book is pretty high.

DrunkenSailor

Reaction score
One day I would love to take the time to tear through the data on the state's controller website. Not that I could do anything about it I would just like to know for myself how f-ed up the situation really is.

Part of the gas tax is that they will charge electric car owners an additional annual tax of $100 a year. Which in comparison to the 41 cent tax that gets charged for gas is cheap. For example you have a vehicle that gets 20mpg and you do 15000 miles per year your paying $307.50 in taxes on fuel for that year. I have a cold so my math might be stupid but I think thats right. I actually hate that gas is more expensive but when I look at it like that $300 isn't that bad. Now add in registration at lets say 450 on average, multiple cars and then throw in a milage driven tax and I am pretty pissed. Because I know that even with all that my ass is still bouncing all the way down the joke of a surface they call a freeway in this state. My 5 year old could lay smoother concrete.

You know the very next thing that they will do with the GPS mileage trackers is enable them to track MPH and issue speeding violations accordingly.

rrrr

Reaction score
I saw this coming years ago. You might recall Obama's CAFE goal was 50 MPG for 2025. Trump has rejected that but the next president might change it again.

It's simple math that states are pulling in less gas tax revenue. They are all going to address this in the coming years.

Regarding OTR trucks, there is an interstate agreement on collecting fuel taxes. Next time you're next to a semi tractor, look for the IFTA decal they all display.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Fuel_Tax_Agreement

Old Texan

Honorary Warden #377 Emeritus - R.I.P.
Reaction score

More a federal slush fund to steal from. The funds are abused by Congress. Borrowed from and never paid back. Paid out to some folks who contributed little or none at all, Congress fights any change by using fear tactics 'cause they do not want to lose access to money that is not theirs to fuck with.......

Old Texan

Reaction score
The bad part for the rest of us, is what CA does, to often spreads to other states eventually.

These out of control idiots in charge will force us all to walk and then try an tax us on steps taken......The overthrow of tea from British ships back in the beginning of the nation will be be reenacted one day and magnified 1,000's of times in intensity......

HotRod82

Reaction score
I wouldn't be so sure this won't happen......Oregon had already done the pilot and said it worked flawlessly. IMO the backside of this story is they can send you automated speeding tickets as well as collecting data on everywhere and everyone you visit.
I've already warned my wife if this happens, I'm out of Cali for sure.

DrunkenSailor

Reaction score
I wouldn't be so sure this won't happen......Oregon had already done the pilot and said it worked flawlessly. IMO the backside of this story is they can send you automated speeding tickets as well as collecting data on everywhere and everyone you visit.

Its too tempting for revenue and law enforcement to not track every movement and to not generate income every time you travel above the speed limit. I don't think there is anyway that this doesn't happen. This will be the step that guarantees that automated cars take over. If I can't travel over the speed limit anyway why bother driving on my own.

Old Texan

Reaction score
Speeding tickets!!!!!!!! Get ready for crazy laws on how they can confiscate vehicles for unpaid tickets.......The courts will be tied up beyond belief.