WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Cut and Level building pad rough cost???

25Elmn8r

Reaction score
The wife and I are packing up and getting out of So Cal after 5 years of talking about it. We're looking at having a house built, and I found a perfect location. Problem is it is a sloped and treed lot, 1/2 acre in size. I'm trying to get a rough estimate of what it should cost to cut into the hill for a pad to build on. I have no idea if it's $10k or $100k. I know there are a lot of factors to determine the cost, but if it's closer to the $100k it's out of our budget. Anybody out there with experience that can give me an idea?

The house footprint is approx 50'x50'.

Yellowboat

Reaction score
figure on $1000-1500/ day plus materials.

depends on the slope, accessabilty and the like.

last house I built it was $15k for every thing. but it was flat ground

SummitKarl

LHC Architect
Reaction score
The wife and I are packing up and getting out of So Cal after 5 years of talking about it. We're looking at having a house built, and I found a perfect location. Problem is it is a sloped and treed lot, 1/2 acre in size. I'm trying to get a rough estimate of what it should cost to cut into the hill for a pad to build on. I have no idea if it's $10k or $100k. I know there are a lot of factors to determine the cost, but if it's closer to the $100k it's out of our budget. Anybody out there with experience that can give me an idea?

The house footprint is approx 50'x50'.

I need to see the lot for a accurate answer, a ton of stuff comes into play here like retaining walls and distance from ascending and descending slopes etc. and a bunch depends on the lots that surround it as well

PM me the addy and I run by it

25Elmn8r

Reaction score
I need to see the lot for a accurate answer, a ton of stuff comes into play here like retaining walls and distance from ascending and descending slopes etc. and a bunch depends on the lots that surround it as well

You sure you want to run up to Idaho just to look at the lot? ;)

SummitKarl

LHC Architect
Reaction score
You sure you want to run up to Idaho just to look at the lot? ;)
some how my eyes saw Havasu :rolleyes getting old ain't easy LOL

anyways IRC code for structure to 2:1 sloped property is

Descending: height of slope / 2 or 15'max from toe of slope
Ascending: height of slope / 3 or 40'max from heel of slope

if you can't meet those you need retaining walls

tractor time is about $1k a day, half acre of slope should be about 3 days + add or subtract any dirt from lot at about $40 a load going and $65 a load coming

25Elmn8r

Reaction score
some how my eyes saw Havasu :rolleyes getting old ain't easy LOL

anyways IRC code for structure to 2:1 sloped property is

Descending: height of slope / 2 or 15'max from toe of slope
Ascending: height of slope / 3 or 40'max from heel of slope

if you can't meet those you need retaining walls

tractor time is about $1k a day, half acre of slope should be about 3 days + add or subtract any dirt from lot at about $40 a load going and $65 a load coming

Thanks for the info. Much appreciated!

LHC30

Old Guy
Reaction score

Thanks Friend! I ask you to look at a lot for me and I get the "You invest the time." But for this guy you'll go to IDAHO!!!

:eek:finger:finger

:)

throttle

c ya on da lake
Reaction score
I second the "cut into slope equals big money in retaining walls" hands down, look closely.