WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Cutting Stainless Steel Angle ???

wishiknew

Reaction score
I need to cut some 4''x 4'' x 3/8'' stainless angle #304 like 80 times whats the best and fastest way to cut this stuff??? chopsaw ???

tunnel vision

Reaction score
A good band saw will work perfect, with coolant. I cut it all the time. Don't let the blade feed be too slow or the SS will work harden.

Rule of thumb with stainless High feed, slow speed.

REDSKIN

Reaction score
Send it to a saw house and pay the 50 bucks. You will save time and money in the long run.

randyjet

Reaction score
Dewalt makes this chopsaw that has a carbide tipped blade it cuts anything clean and straight it will mow right through that angle works like a cold saw but with no mess. I have one and can cut anything with it from Shingles to hardened steel, wood, ceramic just about anything it the best saw I ever have seen for a shop looks like a chop saw or miter saw but the blade goes slow. I cut Inconel on mine all the time and it cuts like butter and its dead straight.

randyjet

Reaction score
DW872
14" (355mm) Multi-Cutter Saw
Multi-Cutter offers versatility by cutting a wide variety of materials including ferrous and non-ferrous metals
Utilizing a carbide tipped blade allows the depth of cut to remain constant throughout blade life
Multi-Cutter cuts 4 times faster than chop saws and 8 times faster than portable band saws in 2" x 2" x 1/4" angle iron
14" 70-tooth carbide tipped blade delivers a lower cost-per-cut compared to cutting with abrasive wheels
Specially designed carbide teeth deliver fast, precise, virtually burr-free cuts reducing the need for preparation grinding, and finished cuts that are cool to the touch
Largest capacity in its class with even more capacity than a deep-cut portable band saw (5-3/16" round & 4-1/2" x 6-1/2" rectangular) allowing user to cut a wider variety of different size materials for more applications
Ergonomically designed horizontal handle puts user's wrist in a more comfortable position to help reduce user fatigue and increase productivity
15 Amp / 4.0 HP motor provides more overload capacity to increase performance and durability
Patented Quick-Fence? tool-free, 45? adjustable fence allows for fast and accurate angle cuts without using a wrench
Quick-Lock Vise allows for fast clamping on different size materials to increase productivity
Extra wide solid steel base provides increased stability when cutting longer material. The four pre-drilled holes in the base allow easy bolt down to any work bench. The solid steel base also allows user to weld jigs or stops directly to the base. The four pre-drilled holes in the base allow easy bolt down to any work bench. The solid steel base also allows users to weld jigs or stops directly to the base
Durable metal top handle allows the saw to be carried easily
Heavy-duty lock down pin allows head of the saw to be locked in the carrying position without the use of a chain
On-board wheel change wrench allows for convenient storage and greatly reduces the risk of lost wrenches
Spindle Lock allows user to make wheel changes quickly and easily, saving time and money
Adjustable chip deflector allows user to channel chips away from hazardous materials and co-workers
Easily accessible brushes allow for convenient servicing on the worksite to minimize downtime
Heavy-duty compression spring provides smooth movement and greater durability than torsion springs
Quick-retracting guard allows user to see the line of cut while protecting against chips
Vertical Clamp provides the user with the most efficient clamping system in the industry

randyjet

Reaction score
You buy one of these and it will replace all saws you have its everything in one saw and it cuts anything and I mean anything and you can hold a few thousandths tolerance cut to cut all day.

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
Dewalt makes this chopsaw that has a carbide tipped blade it cuts anything clean and straight it will mow right through that angle works like a cold saw but with no mess. I have one and can cut anything with it from Shingles to hardened steel, wood, ceramic just about anything it the best saw I ever have seen for a shop looks like a chop saw or miter saw but the blade goes slow. I cut Inconel on mine all the time and it cuts like butter and its dead straight.
I have one of those and the carbide teeth take a shit after about 10 cuts of stainless. (after doing one set of exhaust pipes the thing was wasted (works fucking great on steel or chro-mo though) stainless is just too brutal for the speed they spin at. The best way to cut it is with a horizontal bandsaw, coolant, slow speed high feed like someone said. Or with a carbide low speed cold saw.

wishiknew

Reaction score
Thanks Guys Will be using a saw house Didnt know they had such a thing :D

tunnel vision

Reaction score
Don't waste you money on one of those "Cuts All" carbide saws, a regular horizontal band saw with a bi-metal will cut it all day long with coolant.

Someone one here said the carbides took a shit after a few cuts, that's because of the thin cross section "exhaust tubing or headers" he was cutting, this is were the tooth pitch comes into play, if you use a blade with a large tooth spacing You will rip the teeth right off!

For the angle he wants to cut, if he used a 6-10S bi-metal blade he could cut that 304 SS 8 hrs a day for a week and have a blade that was still in good shape. For the headers and thin wall tube 4130, SS or mild steel a 10-14S bi-metal will do the same duty cycle.

I have people come to my shop asking how come they can't drill SS, they think they have to buy a cobalt, carbide, Tin coated or some exotic drill bit... nope a standard high speed steel, good quality drill bit, not from Home Depot will work all day long providing you do not work harden the material by letting the bit WEAR a hole though, you need the bit to be (1)sharp (2) slow speed on your drill press or hand drill (3) high feed pressure.

Because once you let that bit wear harden the SS because of not following the above, you will have one hell of a time getting through it.