WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Dad's Boating Pix circa 1961-62

CampbellCarl

Reaction score
Pops sent me home with about 900 slides of stuff from 50 years ago. Bought one of those cheapy slide to digital dealios and will update the thread when I convert some more.

This group is simply titled "Lake Mead 1960, 1962 and Colorado River". Thinking that river pix may be around Bullhead City or did they go upriver from Temple Bar toward the Grand Canyon? He doesn't remember.

First is Pops at what looks to be Bullhead,

Next, the galley that Pops built to store all of the stuff used for cooking. Note the first power combo, twin 12hp Hiawatha's.

Third, Pops collecting fresh water somewhere.

Next, Pop's proud of that catch.

Pops boat before the big repower coming up, note that drinking and boating goes back along time.....

kiethco

Reaction score
I could look at those all day long, I'd like to see more.

CampbellCarl

Reaction score
I could look at those all day long, I'd like to see more.

OK, one more for tonite.....pain-in-the-ass, gotta take the slide out of the tray and out of the little frame, then load 3 at a time into the scanner tray, then flip the backwards ones......

Same boat "Fiskeren" (Danish for 'fish getter'), after the repower from two 12 hp Hiawatha's to a single Merc 35 hp......wowser almost 50% more power!

Second pic, Captain Campbell Carl in the boat with Pops along side. I think the trolling motor was lent from a friend for a trip, I don't remember him owning that one.

Caydens Cat

all I got was a t-shirt
Reaction score
That is very cool to share. Been going when I when I was still hanging from pops "down lows". THanks again!

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Those are some VERY cool pics! Do we see you in one in the last set??

Thanks for sharing those! :thumbsup

fmo24

Reaction score
Great Photos, and same kind of mayhem on the launch ramp back in the days I see. :skull

JBS

Reaction score
Carl Thanks for sharing. These are super cool:cool:

Monstrous

Reaction score
I now see the captains hat in the picture. That answers a lot of questions and opens up a whole new line of ridicule. Great pics.

CampbellCarl

Reaction score
I now see the captains hat in the picture. That answers a lot of questions and opens up a whole new line of ridicule. Great pics.

Yeah, well, bring it big guy........

As I reach back in memory, I recall that this next group is from a 'River Trip' sponsored by the then 'new' Meadview Rancho properties being offered close by Temple Bar. I think that the developer was trying to show off the river into the Grand Canyon. I think that this a day trip with lunch being served up river and some kind a sales presentation offered.

Boat is my God Fathers 17' Westerner with 12 year old Captian Carl at the helm......

Monstrous

Reaction score
I don't have the words to say anything other than awesome. You rock.
I have seen that look before when a beer has been dropped.

CampbellCarl

Reaction score
Now we're up to 1967. Pops sold the wood boat and moved us up to a mid 60's Glasspar 16' powered by a 75hp Evinrude (the push button shifter model.....without doubt, very baller status...

1967 King's River trip....

Faceaz

Reaction score
Great Pics Carl. Looks like a little Johnson Seahorse thrown on as a tiller next to the Merc. That was the first motor I had, Grandpa put one on a little 10' dingy, could barely keep up with the current :D.

wishiknew

Reaction score
Cool pics my first boat was 16' glaspar with a 75 johnson Good Times :D:D