WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Daves Teryx Build

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Now before we start here.. Understand that this is going to a long process, and will be updated as budget alllows.

Bought the Teryx Last saturday, and had the dealership put on Muzzy pipes, and the MSD ignition.. In retrospect I wish I would've gone with a different ignition/fuel programmer that I found online, and may change it later. Not that there is anything wrong with this one, but I found another one that actually has sensors and corrects itself based on altitude, etc..

Attachments

• IMG_4513.JPG
    IMG_4513.JPG
    148 KB · Views: 878

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
By the way, a lot of people talked shit on the plastic pop rivets..

My .02, I think these things are the greatest thing since sliced bread. I can take the entire center section of this deal apart in less then 5 minutes, and put it back together.. :D A lot easier then things used to be. :D

Next up, the Stereo Installation.. My SSV Works 3 speaker system (with Amp & Sub) showed up yesterday and I will be installing it tonight / tomorrow.

That being said I have never installed a stereo in my life, so this oughta be interesing. :D

RD

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
Coming along nice RD.

screaming pete

Reaction score
dave did you check out those sound bars with the ipod hook up that goes on the roll bar those look goo to me for about 400$

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
dave did you check out those sound bars with the ipod hook up that goes on the roll bar those look goo to me for about 400$

Yeah I looked at em.. SSV Works makes some of those as well that are pretty nice. I wanted the subwoofer though, so I went this direction.. Plus I think this will be cleaner, after I get the new cage etc..

RD

screaming pete

Reaction score
Yeah I looked at em.. SSV Works makes some of those as well that are pretty nice. I wanted the subwoofer though, so I went this direction.. Plus I think this will be cleaner, after I get the new cage etc..

RD

i'm likeing it, my friend did not get his dry filter (no oil from the manufacture) intake that sanded his motored covered because he did not take it back to the dealer for the 10hr service. they did do a compression check and it was good. everything i've read says that uncorking these motors is a good thing. it might want more fuel now:thumbsup

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
i'm likeing it, my friend did not get his dry filter (no oil from the manufacture) intake that sanded his motored covered because he did not take it back to the dealer for the 10hr service. they did do a compression check and it was good. everything i've read says that uncorking these motors is a good thing. it might want more fuel now:thumbsup

The MSD controls ignition & fuel and rev limiter.

They have some presets from the factory that are basically tuned for "pipes" etc.. Then they have a program so you can tune it yourself on a dyno.

Until I get it on a Dyno, I just have it set on the "3" setting, which is "stock" + pipes with a stock rev limiter etc..

I need to read up some more and see what "maps" other people are using, and what they're getting out of them etc..

RD

Flyinbowtie

Reaction score
Dave I am leaning towards the SSV sub box that goes on in the center area too.
There new pods for the mids are nice, I have them.
I will be interested to see what you think of the sub box. I have a 10" Apline E-type sub leftover in the parts bin I am gonna use.

TOBTEK

Reaction score
Dave I am leaning towards the SSV sub box that goes on in the center area too.
There new pods for the mids are nice, I have them.
I will be interested to see what you think of the sub box. I have a 10" Apline E-type sub leftover in the parts bin I am gonna use.

I have an extra SSV sub-encloser of a Teryx. Will need to be painted. its currently painted to match that Gold distressed car my buddy ownes. The Mafia car from The SSSS. Who needs one?

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
NOT bagging on your idea here RD..... But havent you know completly changed the air flow to the computer???? will you need to address that? Used to be AN ISSUE when one removed the A-box back in my Banshee days.....????????

When I changed the exhaust, I added the MSD.. I set the MSD on "stock with pipes" and it was running pretty rich.. Backfired while slowing down etc.. Changed the setup now, and it seems to be running pretty good. I have to get a air / fuel meter on it, and get it on a dyno to tune it at some point here pretty soon. It's not running lean right now though so I'm not worried about it until after I get it broken in etc..

RD

djhartley2003

Reaction score
I don't know if this can be used in your Teryx but if it can its yours. NOT TRYING TO SELL. No point in it just sitting in my garage and going to waist. Just throwing it out there.

K&N Universal air filter. Never been used, still sealed from factory.
OD of flange is 5 1/8 inches by 3 1/4 inches and filter is 6 1/4 inches tall
Part # RC-5040

Last edited:

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Thanks to Cole Trickle whom helped me out, because I would've made it about 20 minutes into that program and thrown in the towel. I always knew I was bad at this sort've stuff, never knew how bad until I again had an epic failure.. LOL

Started off, I could'nt figure out how to get the amp to mount in the dash like it was supposed too. So I ended up mounting it on the bed. In typical fashion I drilled the holes very precision, only to find out when I lowered the bed the amp wouldn't fit by about .100.. So I got to dill a hole bunch of extra holes in the bed.

Same thing with the sub mount. There was this little hole from the factoy so I figured lets just enlarge that a bit, and run the speaker wire through there (after we had already drilled the mounting holes.. Well we had t move the sub back an inch, so now there's 3 extra holes in the plastic. I'm not worried about it as you can never see it.

To stay on track with the theme, I pre-drilled the sub box with the body diameter of the screws.. Mental note, in fiberglass better drill it a little larger then that. One of the screws broke in half while I was putting it in, and the screw gun went right through the surround of the subwoofer.. LOL It was at about this point I was inventing new cusswords in my head.

Gotta give it up to Brandin though, even though I wanted to buy a bullet and rent a gun, he kept on trucking and got the rest of it put in pretty quick.

So now moment of truth, I goto mount the amp in my spot and it's shoehorning in there but it's kinda stuck.. I just wiggled it lightly and "snap" it broke both RCA cables off and the centers of them were stuck in the amp. It was now 3:00 am (we started at 3:00 pm) so I gave up and brought it home. Because all the wires had already been run, and I really didn't want to take apart the Teryx again, I looked on the internet learned how to rebuild RCA cables, went to radio shack got some 90 degree RCA's and rebuilt them.

Stereo works, and it's all in now.. Need a new subwoofer, but that's nobodies fault but my own.

I'm not sure why the sub box looks so grey in the pics, it matches almost identically when you look at it in person. :)

RD

Attachments

• IMG_4531.JPG
    IMG_4531.JPG
    145.1 KB · Views: 469
  • IMG_4530.JPG
    IMG_4530.JPG
    186.3 KB · Views: 471
  • IMG_4529.JPG
    IMG_4529.JPG
    154.4 KB · Views: 470
  • IMG_4528.JPG
    IMG_4528.JPG
    158.3 KB · Views: 477
  • IMG_4527.JPG
    IMG_4527.JPG
    158.2 KB · Views: 478

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
Dave have you looked into Benchmark performance?
Chris runs that place, he's local to you and either has a dyno, or access to one.

http://www.teryxforums.net/benchmark-performance/

He's getting great power out of Rhinos these days, looks like he's now getting into the Teryx :thumbsup

My next Rhino mod will be headwork from Benchmark. Should put me close to 50rwhp.

TOBTEK

Reaction score
SOOOOOOOOO.... how did the Teryx work in Parker this weekend RD?

TOBTEK

Reaction score
WHAT HAPPEND WITH THIS THREAD..... did you give your Teryx to Wicked?

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
WHAT HAPPEND WITH THIS THREAD..... did you give your Teryx to Wicked?

Toby I'm not living the lifestyles of the rich and famous here.. I can't be long travelling the thing right now.

I added a billet mirror, and got it street legal and it's in Parker. I'll bring it home after the Offroad / BBQ trip, and it will be going to Wired For Sound for some minor upgrades.. ;)

RD

Ali Baba

Reaction score
I'm new to the forum here. Looks like your Teryx is coming along. Here is a picture of mine.
displayimage.php
I put the Dasa Intake on mine. The big deal is that you want to get a good intake adapter for the air box, which it looks like you eliminated. I have the MSD too. I got Dasa's maps programed on mine. I hit 60mph. When I get pipes I should be at an easy 65mph. I also put on the OD clutch plate. This gives you some added HP, but mostly lowers your RPM's. Anyway... Looks like your having fun. I hope it works out for you. If you have questions let me know.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Welcome to the board! Nice looking Teryx!

RD

Ali Baba

Reaction score
Thanks... Forgot to mention that I captain an 18 ft. Chaparral. I spend most of the time enjoying the Lower Colorado River (Lake Martinez area / Blythe area). I make it up to Havasu about 2 times a season. This season we're going to spread out our trips and hit up Mojave, Havasu, Parker, Blythe and Martinez. If you have any recommendations on where to stay that is clean, fun, and affordable, I would appreciate it. My buddies and I are organizing some trips tomorrow.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Thanks... Forgot to mention that I captain an 18 ft. Chaparral. I spend most of the time enjoying the Lower Colorado River (Lake Martinez area / Blythe area). I make it up to Havasu about 2 times a season. This season we're going to spread out our trips and hit up Mojave, Havasu, Parker, Blythe and Martinez. If you have any recommendations on where to stay that is clean, fun, and affordable, I would appreciate it. My buddies and I are organizing some trips tomorrow.

Hotel, or dragging a trailer up?

RD

throttle

c ya on da lake
Reaction score
Keep the info coming... I just ordered a teryx, I need to learn more...

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Keep the info coming... I just ordered a teryx, I need to learn more...

Throttle, so far I have the muzzy exhaust, MSD, I haven't had a chance to drag race a completely stock teryx with stock wheels.. I can say with Toby's Teryx (which is stock except air box) with much larger diameter wheels we were even, or perhaps him a bit ahead.

I drag raced a RZR-S on pavement in the keys 3 times, and he gets me by a hood length at about 45mph.. We didn't run em all the way out.

As mine sits right now it'll run about 55mph. I'm going to take it to Jon at hte pro shop to have it dyno'd and tuned correctly. I expect 60mph after that.

I want the clutch work done to lower the RPM's.. Cage, Long travel are absolutely necesarry.. I will most likely end up going with Long Travel industries for these items.. Might go with Wired For Sound on the cage.

I must say though Billdo's FU2 thread pretty much fucked all my plans up.. so I'm waiting to see how his turns out. It's a good thing I don't have any $$$ right now, because I'd be punching myself in the nuts.

BTW, I have a friend that has a 4 seater cage (nice), and a rear seat with harnesses, billet handles etc.. he wants 800 bucks for it.

RD

Lavey29

Floatin Dirty
Reaction score
I did not know the Trex's were that fast in pretty much stock mode. Those are good speed numbers. I was at Hytech performance last week in Havasu to get exhaust on my ranger and he had a Trex in there getting a big bore 800 kit. The guy had over 50K into this ride (per Keith at Hytech) and I would say it was the nicest SxS that I have ever seen with a lot of trick one off parts and paint. Even Tobteks came in second compared to this one down there. The guy rolled it and caused 12K in damage so now he has 62K invested and still upgrading the motor. I guess when cash is no concern, skies the limit...

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
Throttle, so far I have the muzzy exhaust, MSD, and I messed with the intake.. I haven't had a chance to drag race a completely stock teryx with stock wheels.. I can say with Toby's Teryx (which is stock except air box) with much larger diameter wheels we were even, or perhaps him a bit ahead.

I drag raced a RZR-S on pavement in the keys 3 times, and he gets me by a hood length at about 45mph.. We didn't run em all the way out.

As mine sits right now it'll run about 55mph. I'm going to take it to Jon at hte pro shop to have it dyno'd and tuned correctly. I expect 60mph after that.

I want the clutch work done to lower the RPM's.. Cage, Long travel are absolutely necesarry.. I will most likely end up going with Long Travel industries for these items.. Might go with Wired For Sound on the cage.

I must say though Billdo's FU2 thread pretty much fucked all my plans up.. so I'm waiting to see how his turns out. It's a good thing I don't have any $$$ right now, because I'd be punching myself in the nuts.

BTW, I have a friend that has a 4 seater cage (nice), and a rear seat with harnesses, billet handles etc.. he wants 800 bucks for it.

RD

The teryx is a quick machine, I drove Seans one night and was blown away by it. Even with all the stuff Im doing to mine, Cam, MSD, Muzzy, Clutch, OD weights, etc.. I might be able to do low 50s. I will definitely have more suspension than Horsepower. Hence my reasoning for going a little heavier on things and making a nice cruiser.

TOBTEK

Reaction score
I did not know the Trex's were that fast in pretty much stock mode. Those are good speed numbers. I was at Hytech performance last week in Havasu to get exhaust on my ranger and he had a Trex in there getting a big bore 800 kit. The guy had over 50K into this ride (per Keith at Hytech) and I would say it was the nicest SxS that I have ever seen with a lot of trick one off parts and paint. Even Tobteks came in second compared to this one down there. The guy rolled it and caused 12K in damage so now he has 62K invested and still upgrading the motor. I guess when cash is no concern, skies the limit...

That makes mine look like the bargin of ALL TIME at 20k :D

WTMFA

Kill Em All
Reaction score

I met Keith at a friends house a while back. Nice guy, how do you like his work?

djunkie

Broke mo fo
Reaction score
The teryx is a quick machine, I drove Seans one night and was blown away by it. Even with all the stuff Im doing to mine, Cam, MSD, Muzzy, Clutch, OD weights, etc.. I might be able to do low 50s. I will definitely have more suspension than Horsepower. Hence my reasoning for going a little heavier on things and making a nice cruiser.

If your ride doesn't do 60+ with all that work I'd be pissed. Mine will do 60 on the street and I have no where near that much work done to it.

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
If your ride doesn't do 60+ with all that work I'd be pissed. Mine will do 60 on the street and I have no where near that much work done to it.

If It does I will be stoked, it just seems that most claim in the 50s as speed with similar mods. This is obviously based on what I have read on the Rhino forums. I do run BFGs and have a 4 seater weight savings was not a concern for me as I went for comfort...LOL.

djunkie

Broke mo fo
Reaction score
If It does I will be stoked, it just seems that most claim in the 50s as speed with similar mods. This is obviously based on what I have read on the Rhino forums. I do run BFGs and have a 4 seater weight savings was not a concern for me as I went for comfort...LOL.

I've hit mid 50's in mine running a wash in Parker many times. And thats with about 10psi in the rear tires. Running around Havasu I've hit 63 but that was on a slight down hill leaving my house. You should have no problem doing that with the cam and other work as long as they map that MSD right. And I bet my cage probably weighs close to yours and I also have some heavy ass Bighorns so you should expect at least 60 on the street.

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
I've hit mid 50's in mine running a wash in Parker many times. And thats with about 10psi in the rear tires. Running around Havasu I've hit 63 but that was on a slight down hill leaving my house. You should have no problem doing that with the cam and other work as long as they map that MSD right. And I bet my cage probably weighs close to yours and I also have some heavy ass Bighorns so you should expect at least 60 on the street.

For the motor and clutch I ordered everyhting from hunterworks and they map the MSD based on what I ordered. so Im gonna say its safe to bet the Map is correct. Im adding quite a bit of weight with the new roof, doors, LT and the additions to the cage I am doing. but if i see 60 I will be stoked. I guess Im expecting the worst case scenario and everyhting over that is a bonus.

djunkie

Broke mo fo
Reaction score
For the motor and clutch I ordered everyhting from hunterworks and they map the MSD based on what I ordered. so Im gonna say its safe to bet the Map is correct. Im adding quite a bit of weight with the new roof, doors, LT and the additions to the cage I am doing. but if i see 60 I will be stoked. I guess Im expecting the worst case scenario and everyhting over that is a bonus.

Bill I have everything you have. Doors, roof, heavy cage, except my motor is stock except for the air filter, cdi, and sheave. I've been reading that some people aren't getting the same results with the OD sliders as others are getting with the machined sheave though so we'll see. But if I were you I would expect more from your setup than you are right now. I'm sure its not gonna be cheap so you should see the results.

Ivan Dan

Reaction score
I saw 58 on a dry lake bed in Johnson Valley 2 weekends ago with the wife and I, loaded coolers, spare tire, and all my tools that I carry. I've seen 62-63 on the pavment with slight downhill as well.

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
That is good to hear. Hope I see similar results. I know some have said the FI700 is not as fast as the 660s are :( but I do liek the fact that it starts right up everytime and it runs good when it goes to Big bear.

djunkie

Broke mo fo
Reaction score
That is good to hear. Hope I see similar results. I know some have said the FI700 is not as fast as the 660s are :( but I do liek the fact that it starts right up everytime and it runs good when it goes to Big bear.

Mine does too everytime we're in Lake Arrowhead. The rejet helped a lot with that. It cured that 660 cold blooded start up issue.

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
Mine does too everytime we're in Lake Arrowhead. The rejet helped a lot with that. It cured that 660 cold blooded start up issue.

Nice. My old 660 I rejetted and it ran great. Probably sould have never sold it :( I would be a LOT of money ahead now.

Lavey29

Floatin Dirty
Reaction score
I met Keith at a friends house a while back. Nice guy, how do you like his work?

He has only done routine service for me and an exhaust system but I have no complaints with his work at all. He got it done in a few hours and everything has been fine since. He even opens his shop on saturdays to do work which it looks like he does almost all of it himself. I have not seen other employees there working. He works on everything also like rails, rangers, rhinos, jet ski's,etc...His prices were lower then going to the Polaris dealer on the south end.

Lavey29

Floatin Dirty
Reaction score
That makes mine look like the bargin of ALL TIME at 20k :D

Yours is a killer deal for sure but I wish i had taken some pics of this other one. Very custom billet pieces, form fitting doors, probably one of the nicest paint jobs I have seen, etc...

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score

Read some more on hunterworks and they are saying 62ish is what they were seeing on the dyno. and about 34 HP.

ericstageI.jpg

djunkie

Broke mo fo
Reaction score
Read some more on hunterworks and they are saying 62ish is what they were seeing on the dyno. and about 34 HP.

ericstageI.jpg

Sounds about right. I was talking to the guys at the Pro Shop about dyno tuning mine after I put my new exhaust on and they said about the same. Stock these things aren't much over 20hp at the wheels.

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
The thing about Rhinos is, once you get past the mid-50's, the engine is screeeeming. I don't have a tach but I know that I'm revving the piss out of it.

63 mph is the most I've ever seen. I'm having trouble getting over 58 right now, even though it gets there quick. I think I need to open her up and re-grease sliders and clean out the sheave.

KING BEE

Reaction score
RD,

Here you go. Induced Fabrication, in Chandler, AZ.

KingBee:thumbsup

Attachments

• teryx cage - 01.jpg
    teryx cage - 01.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 336
  • teryx cage - 02.jpg
    teryx cage - 02.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 324
  • teryx cage - 03.jpg
    teryx cage - 03.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 324
  • teryx cage - 04.jpg
    teryx cage - 04.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 318
  • teryx cage - 05.jpg
    teryx cage - 05.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 320
  • teryx cage - 06.jpg
    teryx cage - 06.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 315
  • teryx cage - 07.jpg
    teryx cage - 07.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 314
  • teryx cage - 08.jpg
    teryx cage - 08.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 310
  • teryx cage - 09.jpg
    teryx cage - 09.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 330
  • teryx cage - 10.jpg
    teryx cage - 10.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 327

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Chris that looks awesome! Can an adult fit in the back with the cage that low?

D

Deleted Account

Kickass house as well...:D

RD, I doubt it. The upper handholds to slide back there are pretty sweet tho'... If the roof starts rattling, glue some vinyl on the bottom.

Last edited by a moderator:

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score

If you did a bed delete and a pan in the back adults could fit in a low profile cage like that. It drops the rear seat about 6 inches.

KING BEE

Reaction score
NO, but my 13 year old can, you know the "national champ" from the kids class at the championships last October (had to get some free press for my kid). Actually, that is the way I like it. I had a Rhino that two adults could fit in and I hated that way it handled with them in the back. And it was full on custom suspension, the one that was in my garage in Parker. I really liked the look of this and it was the first one he built (this style) 8-10 weeks ago. Had it on at the Parker 325 and got a ton of comments on it. Thanks for the comments on the house too!

King Bee:D