WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Deja_Vu's Retirement Oasis

DLC

Reaction score
I’ve been following your build from day 1, looks very nice ! Congratulations!

I wanted to comment on your completion date, if they are just now starting to set finish in baths / kitchens not to say anything about the flooring, electrical and plumbing finish it would take a really big push to get it wrapped up before the end of the month, and hopefully they complete everything perfect the 1st time no call back of little fixes. I would rather have them complete everything inside the house 100% perfect, then move in as opposed to moving in then have guys back in/out to fix things. Not to say anything about the exterior stucco /garage doors mishap, sounds like they ordered the doors a little late...

Do they, did you have a time clause ( end date) in your contract with your builder? Did they give you a time line /schedule?

Things seem to take an extra long time to get completed in Havasu, as an example I ordered a production tri toon in February with nothing special and it just got finished 100% in the beginning of November - only 10 months! LoL. I found out the hard way.

I can’t imagine the delays in building a new home!
You have to wonder if the contractor didn’t push it hard, I would like to know what are the stats for his other projects he started around the same time as your start date. Did your project get set on the back burner / slow pace as your not in town as often.....

outboardrick

Reaction score
That glass tile you have in the 2nd picture looks like what I originally chose for my kitchen. When it came in the tile guy said it didn't interlace correctly and it would take him a ton of time to cut it to make it work, so I chose a different one. It didn't make sense to me but that's what he said, just FYI.

Deja_Vu

Essex Affectionado
Reaction score
I’ve been following your build from day 1, looks very nice ! Congratulations!

I wanted to comment on your completion date, if they are just now starting to set finish in baths / kitchens not to say anything about the flooring, electrical and plumbing finish it would take a really big push to get it wrapped up before the end of the month, and hopefully they complete everything perfect the 1st time no call back of little fixes. I would rather have them complete everything inside the house 100% perfect, then move in as opposed to moving in then have guys back in/out to fix things. Not to say anything about the exterior stucco /garage doors mishap, sounds like they ordered the doors a little late...

Do they, did you have a time clause ( end date) in your contract with your builder? Did they give you a time line /schedule?

Things seem to take an extra long time to get completed in Havasu, as an example I ordered a production tri toon in February with nothing special and it just got finished 100% in the beginning of November - only 10 months! LoL. I found out the hard way.

I can’t imagine the delays in building a new home!
You have to wonder if the contractor didn’t push it hard, I would like to know what are the stats for his other projects he started around the same time as your start date. Did your project get set on the back burner / slow pace as your not in town as often.....

Thank you! I appreciate the feedback.

Well we signed the original contract in December 2016 and we were told at that time builds were 6-7 months after permits were in hand.
Unfortunately we don't have any completion date or time clause in the contract, just the fact that my construction loan is for 1 year.
We got construction loan funding in early January and it took till early February to get the grader out there and they trenched in early March.

We had a 5 week delay due to trusses. Builder blamed it on the truss manufacturer but we don't know who's fault that was.
So when the trusses finally showed up the walls had bowed pretty bad from the summer heat so it took some re-framing to get everything to line up again.

We will work on getting a 3 month extension for our Loan with Mohave State bank. They called and let us know that was available if we don't finish in time.
Meanwhile, we don't want to rush anything so we will have to just sit back and be patient and camp out for the Christmas holiday.
Tile guys are working on the showers today, so at least we have some progress.

Yeah some Havasu subcontractors aren't good at communicating when deadlines are missed, but some are really on the ball.
My builder has 5 homes in work and one is their new model on McCulloch...so I'm really touching base a lot to make sure we get the attention we deserve since ours is the most complete of all their current builds. We visit the site every two weeks and call or text usually every day to see what's on the agenda.
I'm going to call about those Garage doors today! I really need stucco and my roof done so my solar guy can get to work.

Deja_Vu

Essex Affectionado
Reaction score
That glass tile you have in the 2nd picture looks like what I originally chose for my kitchen. When it came in the tile guy said it didn't interlace correctly and it would take him a ton of time to cut it to make it work, so I chose a different one. It didn't make sense to me but that's what he said, just FYI.

Thanks for the heads up. We are using that glass mosaic for the back of the recessed niches and a ribbon in the showers.
I will post up pics when they are finished.

For the backsplashes in the kitchen, casita and wet bar we are using a silver travertine in a brick pattern.
Above the cooktop we will have a rectangular area with octagonal tiles with a pencil trim for some eye candy.

Deja_Vu

Essex Affectionado
Reaction score
Check out this 400Amp service. :)

200A is dedicated for the house with a breaker panel located in the laundry room and 200A will be for the future outdoor cabana and pool equipment.

elec_box.JPG

Deja_Vu

Essex Affectionado
Reaction score
My contractor called and said our garage doors were installed today! Stucco is up next for the exterior.

In the meantime Mike at Primo tile is getting to work on all the showers. He's made good progress on the casita shower.
For the casita and the guest bath shower we are orienting the tile vertically. Glass mosaic accent ribbon will be vertical also.
In the master bath shower we will orient the wall tile horizontally and the glass mosaic accent will be horizontal also.

shower-tile-casita1.JPG
shower-tile-casita2.JPG

Deja_Vu

Essex Affectionado
Reaction score
Stucco is finally being applied today.

We sure hope its not the same color as the neighbors house on the right. Ooops
We liked the color on a house on Snead drive. Stucco guy said they thought it was the color Saddleback, so we went with it.
At least our trim and roof tile colors are different. :)

stucco1.JPG

Deja_Vu

Essex Affectionado
Reaction score
Stucco is complete. We are very pleased with the color.
It's not the same color as the neighbors house, thankfully.

Now it's a race to get the roof tiles laid down and trench for electrical service so my solar guys can get started.
stucco2.JPG
stucco3.JPG

Deja_Vu

Essex Affectionado
Reaction score
Shower tile is complete in the casita. Primo tile is working on finishing up the master and guest baths.

shower-tile-casita3.JPG
shower-tile-casita4.JPG

If Looks Could Kill

Reaction score
been following your build and it looks nice, any other sub contractors you care to mention that have done a good job for you? Putting a list together
of people to call when we start our build in Willow Valley

TCHB

Reaction score
Went by this afternoon.

Color coat and stone work on. Starting to look like the end is in site. Looks nice from the golf coarse.

Deja_Vu

Essex Affectionado
Reaction score
been following your build and it looks nice, any other sub contractors you care to mention that have done a good job for you? Putting a list together of people to call when we start our build in Willow Valley

Thank you. Here is a partial list.

Grading by Pioneer Earth Movers
Framing by Scott Dahl framing.
Electrical was done by Varner Electric.
Stucco and concrete by Cutting Edge concrete
Low voltage for TV, Alarm, and stereo prewire by Havasu Wiring
Bathroom and floor Tile by Primo Tile
Exterior stone by Primo Tile
Cabinets by Completion Plus
Countertops by Echelon Tile and Stone
Laminate Floors by Oasis Floors

Deja_Vu

Essex Affectionado
Reaction score
Went by this afternoon.

Color coat and stone work on. Starting to look like the end is in site. Looks nice from the golf coarse.
Thanks for the update Tony!

Looks like its going to be the end of January before we can get moved in. The roofer is backed up until mid next month.

Echelon completed the remainder of the granite install last week. Thanks Erik!
The electricians should be trenching for electrical service today.
The kitchen and wet bar backsplashes should be getting tile this week.

DLC

Reaction score
Looks Beautiful!

I Really like the colors you have chosen, it is going to great when it’s finshed, just think about having your morning coffee on the back patio watching the golfers play !!

Congratulations!

Deja_Vu

Essex Affectionado
Reaction score
Looks Beautiful!

I Really like the colors you have chosen, it is going to great when it’s finshed, just think about having your morning coffee on the back patio watching the golfers play !!

Congratulations!
Thank You!

We are trying to find colors and finishes that wont look too dated in 10 or 20 years.
The back patio will be nice for morning coffee. Even better when we get the cabana and pool done someday.

28Eliminator

Reaction score
Looking great!!

For what it's worth, the lack of qualified help for construction trades is VERY real throughout the industry. I've been in the industry for 36 years, and never before have we had to cut back production simply because the Trades were unable to accommodate the schedules due to lack of employees... Until about 2 years ago. Compounding the issue is the surge in construction throughout the country right now, making it even worse.

Never the less, the finish line is in site, and I'm sure you're going to love your new home!

Deja_Vu

Essex Affectionado
Reaction score
Looking great!!

For what it's worth, the lack of qualified help for construction trades is VERY real throughout the industry. I've been in the industry for 36 years, and never before have we had to cut back production simply because the Trades were unable to accommodate the schedules due to lack of employees... Until about 2 years ago. Compounding the issue is the surge in construction throughout the country right now, making it even worse.

Never the less, the finish line is in site, and I'm sure you're going to love your new home!

Thank You! We will have a get together when we get settled.

Yeah Paul mentioned that Havasu is seeing 400 new builds a year these days.
Every street you drive on there are 2 or 3 new houses going up. It's mind boggling.

Construction materials have also really gone up in the last couple of years.
My builder mentioned that drywall prices are up 20% over a year ago.

Deja_Vu

Essex Affectionado
Reaction score
been a while since I checked in on this. looking very nice.

Thank you!

I have a couple of new updates

Fireplace surround... (The fireplace mantle will be installed after the flooring)

fireplace1.JPG

Casita countertops and backsplash are in

We used 3x5 silver tumbled travertine from Tile Importers

casita_splash1.JPG
casita_splash2.JPG

Deja_Vu

Essex Affectionado
Reaction score
Progress on the tumbled travertine back splashes!

Kitchen (Octagonal shaped tile will be in the area behind the cooktop)

kitchen_splash1.JPG
kitchen_splash2.JPG

Wet Bar

Wet_Bar_Splash.JPG

Deja_Vu

Essex Affectionado
Reaction score
The Bathtub has been installed in the Master Bathroom finally!

I'm really liking the curve

bathtub_install.JPG

Deja_Vu

Essex Affectionado
Reaction score
Place sure is coming out nice .
Thanks Lyn!

Well we peeked in on the house just before New Years.
Electricians were installing the switches, plugs and lighting.
Plumbers are supposed to come in this week.
Last bit of Floor tile is being put down in the master bath

lighting1.JPG

Kitchen
kitchen_lighting.JPG

Great Room
great_room1.JPG

Master Bath
master_bath4.JPG
master_bath3.JPG

Master Walk-In Shower
master_bath2.JPG
Master_bath1.JPG

Casita Kitchen
casita_kit1.JPG
casita_kit2.JPG

Music to my Ears

Conducting Beautiful Music
Reaction score
I've really enjoyed watching your build - It's coming out amazingly nice! Congrats!!

Deja_Vu

Essex Affectionado
Reaction score
I've really enjoyed watching your build - It's coming out amazingly nice! Congrats!!

Thank you! We are super excited to see things come together for the first time.
It's such a leap of faith with all the materials and finishes that you don't really know what you have till it's all done.

To Quote a Tom Petty song...The waiting is the hardest part.

Deja_Vu

Essex Affectionado
Reaction score
Roof is finally complete. 10kw Solar to be installed tomorrow.
Plumber is MIA 2 weeks in a row. Still waiting for the final electrical also.
Appliances are next then floors. Somehow I think it's all going to happen at once and subs will be tripping over each other.
IMG_5022.JPG

Shady side RV parking. 400 amp panel with 50 amp service , sewer and hose bib. Prewired for Garage A/C. I've been looking at the LG 30k btu units.

IMG_5028.JPG

Driveway came out to 53' long.

IMG_5029.JPG

Cabinet doors are on. Earlier than I would like. Hope they don't get damaged.

IMG_5031.JPG

Deja_Vu

Essex Affectionado
Reaction score
The tub came out great. The Koehler curved 60" saved the day.
IMG_5013.JPG

Casita kitchen

IMG_5019.JPG

Fireplace mantles need to be refinished. I bought them almost 2 years ago before we selected our cabinet colors. Fireplace is 2 sided from Heat N Glo.

IMG_5030.JPG

Deja_Vu

Essex Affectionado
Reaction score
If I could only get a plumber to show up....3 weeks now waiting.

The cabinet for the range hood was modified today by Completion Plus.
Dave the owner personally came out to meet with us last Friday and said he would have it ready this week.
Well he did exactly that...That is rare for Lake Havasu City.

Esmay is on the roof installing the 10KW solar system this week.
Another contractor that actually does what they say they will do.

Sneak peek of the solar panel layout...
Solar_layout.JPG

82daytona

Reaction score
If I could only get a plumber to show up....3 weeks now waiting.

The cabinet for the range hood was modified today by Completion Plus.
Dave the owner personally came out to meet with us last Friday and said he would have it ready this week.
Well he did exactly that...That is rare for Lake Havasu City.

Esmay is on the roof installing the 10KW solar system this week.
Another contractor that actually does what they say they will do.

Sneak peek of the solar panel layout...
View attachment 613695

Dave is a great guy! Glad it worked out [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Deja_Vu

Essex Affectionado
Reaction score
Dave is a great guy! Glad it worked out [emoji106]
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Erik! Could not have found him if you hadn't referred us to him!

I'm so glad we didn't have to go with Bobs Cabinets and Less.....

Deja_Vu

Essex Affectionado
Reaction score
Our Mannington Laminate flooring has just been delivered to the house.
Its going to acclimate till next Tues or Wednesday and then Oasis is scheduled for the install.

Weathered Ridge Storm

mannington-restoration-weathered-ridge-storm-19.jpg

My Sooper Dooper Superintendent texted me about the toilets yesterday.
Apparently the Vortens Forza model commode has been discontinued since I provided the plumbing list months ago.
so Im thinking to myself ...if the plumber is 3 weeks late, how come they just asked about toilets yesterday....hmmm something isn't jiving.
I decided to put a call to the plumber and inquire when we are scheduled for install... so I can reconcile with what my Sooper is telling me.

We are now scheduled to move in at the end of January and we still have this list left to do... it's gonna get interesting.

Range hood vent/insert still is not installed. Don't know who is installing this item we purchased a year ago.
Super doesn't have employees. Asked City maytag and Daves appliances to bid, but nobody wants to install it.

Finish Electrical...a few switches and cover plates are missing. Bare wires hanging out of sockets....
Finish plumbing.... not a fixture or commode in the house. Gas lines need connected also for cooktop and fireplaces
Flooring...Estimated install next week
Appliances...waiting on plumber to hook up gas lines
Gas line service...waiting on plumber and gas cooktop install.
Finish Carpentry...waiting on floors

Final Grade... Sooper wants to wait till the Subs are done.
Driveway concrete...waiting on final grading
Inspections /CO

Deja_Vu

Essex Affectionado
Reaction score
Ain't building fun? :)

Now I know what you mean when you said your builder did a decent job but you wouldn't recommend them.

DBU builds a nice house, but having one guy that does everything doesn't cut it.
You cant have just one guy as the Realtor/Sales/Permit puller/Contractor scheduler/Construction Site trash collector/ You name it...

Deja_Vu

Essex Affectionado
Reaction score
I had a nice talk with the Owner today and communicated our displeasure with the construction delays on our house.
I asked him to speak with the Sooper and figure out what is holding up our build to help expedite it.
I also suggested they hire a handyman to install my range hood, instead of asking me to help install it.
Hopefully that will get the ball rolling again...

Singleton

Reaction score
I had a nice talk with the Owner today and communicated our displeasure with the construction delays on our house.
I asked him to speak with the Sooper and figure out what is holding up our build to help expedite it.
I also suggested they hire a handyman to install my range hood, instead of asking me to help install it.
Hopefully that will get the ball rolling again...

Hopefully it gets back on track. I remember my master remodel, 90 day job in total, but the last 20% took 6 weeks to complete. Very frustrating!

DLC

Reaction score
Try calling on the plumber direct or even better stop by his shop /office and speak to the owner. Light a fire under his ass!

If he can’t man his job in a reasonable time frame to set finish call around to see if there is another guy / company that can do it- does he even have all the equipment/fixtures. Waiting for 6-8 months to find out the toilet has been discontinued is a magor fumble ! Sounds like something is going on

Bummer your still having delays!

Your home is looking fabulous!

Deja_Vu

Essex Affectionado
Reaction score
I put a call in to the plumber and spoke to his receptionist to see if they could give me a firm date for finish plumbing at my house.
I haven't received a return call, and honestly don't really expect to. At least the guy knows he's on my radar.
I will swing by the house this Friday and see what's up. If no plumbing has been installed then I will pay the plumber a visit, then my super.

I have informed the builder that a moving truck will be showing up on Feb 17th with all our belongings.
I let them know I am not going to continue paying on two storage units now that the garage is complete.

The only thing on the schedule for this week is the floors will be installed by Oasis.
The laminate was delivered to the house last week to temp stabilize..

Done-it-again

Reaction score
Did you have a completion date set when signing the contract? How many weather delays took place?

I would start to charge the builder rental expenses/storage fees once we are pass the completion date and added in the weather delays. You never know if the builder is paying subs on and time if not, they are not going to make them a priority. After visiting my cousin in foothills, pretty sure all subs are working their as the place is going nuts and seems to be moving quickly.

TCHB

Reaction score
Went buy the house yesterday golfing and it looks finished on the outside. Wha is the frames on the back side of the roof.

Deja_Vu

Essex Affectionado
Reaction score
Did you have a completion date set when signing the contract? How many weather delays took place?

I would start to charge the builder rental expenses/storage fees once we are pass the completion date and added in the weather delays. You never know if the builder is paying subs on and time if not, they are not going to make them a priority. After visiting my cousin in foothills, pretty sure all subs are working their as the place is going nuts and seems to be moving quickly.

Unfortunately we did not. We were told it would only take 7-8 months from breaking ground.We graded in Feb and trenched in March.
Was told the trusses were the hold up for 5 weeks during the summer.

Was not all that much weather that affected the area during construction. These guys all quit at 1pm due to the heat out there.
I thought about that myself, if they don't pay timely then they wont get any priority. But the subs I hired were all paid within one week of billing.

Went buy the house yesterday golfing and it looks finished on the outside. Wha is the frames on the back side of the roof.

Probably for solar panels. Unfortunately they had to put some panels over the patio cover.

Done-it-again

Reaction score
Unfortunately we did not. We were told it would only take 7-8 months from breaking ground.We graded in Feb and trenched in March.
Was told the trusses were the hold up for 5 weeks during the summer.

Was not all that much weather that affected the area during construction. These guys all quit at 1pm due to the heat out there.
I thought about that myself, if they don't pay timely then they wont get any priority. But the subs I hired were all paid within one week of billing.

My parents friends are building in Prescott and running into similar issues. The GC has 1 guy rocking the whole house taking the guy 5 weeks. Subs work 1-3 days then gone for a period of time and also had no weather delays. So far 3 months behind. They are pretty much done but have lots of loose ends and the builder wants them to move in and they will finish the small items. BS no way, you finish and I sign off, trying to get the builder back in a timely matter to finish things out....yea right. You finish and I move in.

Deja_Vu

Essex Affectionado
Reaction score
My parents friends are building in Prescott and running into similar issues. The GC has 1 guy rocking the whole house taking the guy 5 weeks. Subs work 1-3 days then gone for a period of time and also had no weather delays. So far 3 months behind. They are pretty much done but have lots of loose ends and the builder wants them to move in and they will finish the small items. BS no way, you finish and I sign off, trying to get the builder back in a timely matter to finish things out....yea right. You finish and I move in.

Sounds like your parents are in a similar situation.
I've never built a custom home before so I didn't think to put in some clause for going beyond the 1 year construction loan term.
I was just thankful Mohave State bank gave me a 60 day extension with the same interest rate and no fees.

Yeah we aren't going to move in and sign off till we are 100% happy.
I've experienced the approach with sign off now and fix later...you're right it would take forever.

I'm just disappointed that my wife has to camp out for another month or two or three...
She has been a real trooper. Living in a 31' tin can for 18 months is tough.

DLC

Reaction score
How are the payments going? As far as say % completed & billed and what % is left to pay and complete....

As an example....
So let’s just say the plumber has invoiced and been paid 85-90 % of his contract and only has a small part left to complete 10-15% maybe 20%
Sometimes they will chase after other work with much bigger percentages ( more Money) and set the smaller jobs on the back shelf, or use for fill in work like a half day, they get busy looking ahead rather than looking at what they already have....

Or
he could be swamped, but that isn’t a good excuse

5oclocksomewhere

Reaction score

I own my own excavation company here In Prescott Valley so I work with a lot of these guys. Needless to say I'm not impressed by most of them rather In awe of the way things run (not so well) here. Who are they using? I'm lucky in the fact that I'm in the business so I have met a lot of the trades and this is why we are doing an owner build. Actually just accepted an offer on our house yesterday so our build should start the end of March. I know I'm still going to run into problems but at least I won't be paying a contractor (over payed scheduler) to do what I can do more efficiently and I will be in charge of the quality control (subs won't be payed until it meets my standards). Again I know it sounds easy but I know I will still be pulling my hair out.

Dejavu I cannot believe the run around you have been given. I have also never seen a house drywalled and almost finished before the roof was finally installed. You and your wife are very patient people and I hope you guys finally get moved in very soon. It's funny with social media these days you think these idiots would try to do a better job so they don't get bad publicity (just be honest). They all lie & over promise to get the job (most all).

Deja_Vu

Essex Affectionado
Reaction score
After speaking with the builder, He is still saying end of this month for completion. LOL
I don't think he really believes that... Just telling me what I want to hear.
There are only 9 days left. Lots to do. No plumber yet that I'm aware of.

It would be nice if these builders would realize buyers have to give notices to vacate, hire movers and prepare to move.
You cant just say things will be ready and hope it will be.
Be realistic and honest and help people plan their moves accordingly.

How are the payments going? As far as say % completed & billed and what % is left to pay and complete....

As an example....
So let’s just say the plumber has invoiced and been paid 85-90 % of his contract and only has a small part left to complete 10-15% maybe 20%
Sometimes they will chase after other work with much bigger percentages ( more Money) and set the smaller jobs on the back shelf, or use for fill in work like a half day, they get busy looking ahead rather than looking at what they already have....

Or
he could be swamped, but that isn’t a good excuse

All I know is what my bank tells me.
They have 5 draws and they have to get more % completed before they can get the final draw.

I've heard there are 400 new builds in town so I think he is probably swamped.
He is the go to plumber for my builder and probably a bunch of others.

Dejavu I cannot believe the run around you have been given. I have also never seen a house drywalled and almost finished before the roof was finally installed. You and your wife are very patient people and I hope you guys finally get moved in very soon. It's funny with social media these days you think these idiots would try to do a better job so they don't get bad publicity (just be honest). They all lie & over promise to get the job (most all).

Thank you, yeah we are very patient but slowly loosing it lol.
Funny that you mentioned the roof. I was expressing my concern that the roof paper was exposed to the elements for 4 months prior to the tile being laid down.
My sooper just says that is they way they do it out there and the 40lb paper they use can handle it. Time will tell.

TCHB

Reaction score
I did not see much going on the last couple days.

Deja_Vu

Essex Affectionado
Reaction score
I did not see much going on the last couple days.

I'm not surprised. The only things left on the exterior are the Gas meter, final grading, and the driveway.

Hopefully my floors are being installed by Oasis this week as promised.
No word on the "Best" plumber by Farr.....