WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Delamination under cat hull

Ultra912

Reaction score
Putting the plugs in the boat this morning and notice delamination under the center pontoon. I guess my question is should I take it to ultra since they have the mold or to a highly regarded fiberglass repair. image.jpg

Ultra912

Reaction score
Came back to the house and got the other boat got back on the water and blew up my 175 black max. What a fucked up weekend this has been
Any help and suggestions about the ultra shadow is much appreciated thanks

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
Came back to the house and got the other boat got back on the water and blew up my 175 black max. What a fucked up weekend this has been
Any help and suggestions about the ultra shadow is much appreciated thanks

I know in the past John west was pretty helpful in regards to this, but he got pretty beat up on the boards so not sure if he's even active on here anymore.

Backlash

Reaction score
Take it to them and see what they say. If there is no evidence of you hitting anything and no obvious reason why the delamination occurred, maybe something can be done about it. If they refuse to do anything for you, take it to a reputable shop and have it addressed with them.

Good luck!!

Ultra912

Reaction score
I wasn't meaning that they should fix it as in a warranty, although that would be nice. I'm thinking it should be a valid insurance claim and my train of thought was since they have the original mold it would be wiser to take it to them. I've had the boat since 07 and John is no longer around so I doubt they'll be open armed with a warranty of any type. There is no sign of anything but the delamination as well as the long crack that is separating. What could possibly cause a compromise like this since there is no sign of anything on the fiberglass? Any recommendations on a quality fiberglass repair shop in LHC. BTW, what's behind that,,,wood? We were out on the water Sat and I didn't notice anything unusual like a lot of water when removing the plugs.

Singleton

Reaction score
The mfg hull warranty might cover this. Call Rusty at Ultra and ask. Also ask Rusty for a quote to fix. Might also file a claim with your insurance if you think you hit a submerged object. Any high quality fiberglass shop can repair it.

Gelcoater

Reaction score
OP, can you post a few more pictures?
Perhaps with a few other angles of view and with better lighting,and a shot of the entire boat if possible.

Before anyone jumps to conclusions this is another Ultra/infusion/delam issue let's see what he's got.
JW and a couple others here who were deeply involved with Ultra at the time they built the handful of infused boats may be able to identify?

Ultra912

Reaction score
You have to hit something to file an insurance claim? I didn't hit anything and certainly would of known if I did. Also, there is a grey colored material on the bottom of the hull that's peeling away. What is that stuff and what is it for? Heres a photo of the boat Ultra Shadow.JPG

rivrrts429

Arch Stanton...
Reaction score
You have to hit something to file an insurance claim? I didn't hit anything and certainly would of known if I did. Also, there is a grey colored material on the bottom of the hull that's peeling away. What is that stuff and what is it for? Heres a photo of the boat View attachment 512438

The coating looks like some sort of speed coat but need better pics. I'd think that would be unusual though since you usually see it in the racing arena. Wouldn't think it would help that boat so I don't think it is.

Hard to imagine you wouldn't feel that kind of an impact to do that damage. Looks more like a delam issue of sorts.

Backlash

Reaction score
I would see what Ultra can do. Maybe they can help one way or another. My recommendation would be to take it to a reputable shop and have them repair it. There are a number of them around but you have to find someone who can fit you in. By taking it to a professional, they may find issues that could otherwise be inadvertently overlooked by someone else. I would highly recommend Pat's in Upland, CA for a repair like this. Just my .02.

Henry

Singleton

Reaction score
IMO if the damage was not caused by hitting something, your insurance company is going to say it is a manufacturing issue and you need to contact the mfg. Best advice I can give, is take the boat to Ultra and a couple other manufactures (Eliminatior, Nordic, et ) and have them look it over before making any insurance calls.

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
Andy to the white courtesy phone please [emoji4]

Ultra912

Reaction score
Maybe a rough water impact after getting airborne? It's only 23' and it's not real tolerant of the rough chop. I've already contacted my ins so claiming rough chop will be my best fib:D

BTW,,,whose Andy? Inside joke I suppose. 33 posts (me) doesn't compare well with 14K

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
Maybe a rough water impact after getting airborne? It's only 23' and it's not real tolerant of the rough chop. I've already contacted my ins so claiming rough chop will be my best fib:D

BTW,,,whose Andy? Inside joke I suppose. 33 posts (me) doesn't compare well with 14K

He an insurance guy on the board. Figured he could shine a little light on what policies cover what

Ultra912

Reaction score
Well, boat is at Ultra and Rusty says the boat will have to be undressed, motor and all, to do the work on the boat up-side down. :-(
They found another crack that hadn't opened up yet on the opposite side of the center. :-(

spectra3279

Vaginamoney broke
Reaction score
Any ideas what caused it. Seems infused hulls just keep doing this

Ultra28

Reaction score
That boat isn't infused. The issue appears to be where the insert is put in the mold center pod to load the prop better. If it was caught early enough, it won't be a hard fix. I'll call Rusty about it tomorrow.

wishiknew

Reaction score
That boat isn't infused. The issue appears to be where the insert is put in the mold center pod to load the prop better. If it was caught early enough, it won't be a hard fix. I'll call Rusty about it tomorrow.

i will say one thing this guy stands up to the plate

Ultra912

Reaction score
Well, I think I lucked out. My insurance is honoring the claim. $8800.00 would have been a bite in the ass. Rusty at Ultra will make it better than new, although it will probably take a while. Unrig the entire boat and turn it upside down on a rotisserie to do the work. Time to get the 200XRI attached to my Charger.

Singleton

Reaction score
Well, I think I lucked out. My insurance is honoring the claim. $8800.00 would have been a bite in the ass. Rusty at Ultra will make it better than new, although it will probably take a while. Unrig the entire boat and turn it upside down on a rotisserie to do the work. Time to get the 200XRI attached to my Charger.

Glad is worked out and it is getting fixed and is being covered by insurance

Ultra912

Reaction score
Can't wait to pick it up. Looking forward to just putting it back in the garage.