WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Dune Safe or this happens:

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
Every off road group has that one person that always waddles around and tells everyone else what lousy drivers and people they are.
They go on to say they know someone that has better things than yours, and everything you own, cook or do sucks.

Seems their is no getting away from it and their ramshackle set up is the biggest shit show on the dunes to begin with, and they pretty much suck as a driver on top all that.

Being drunk and stupid and luck running with them doesn't make them Iron Man Stuart,, but they think so.
They are alarmists, one uppers and haters and that's how they roll.

Well, let me introduce you to Steve.
He just bought a new 2017 4 seat Rzr at Halloween and was taking it easy on our runs avoiding any thing he thought he couldn't handle. Steve would cut off, take the low route and meet us at the other side of the dune.

Then, at one stop the critic started working him over. Just antagonizing him and dune shaming Steve.
So, Steve got intimidated and did what he shouldn't have.

I'm in the second X3 in line from the front, that's me in my X3 in front of the camera car Steve:

Last edited:

Shortdeck

Reaction score
Ouch... hope Steve is okay. That happened fast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rotten deal

Reaction score
So for the inexperienced what did he do different than the ones he was following? Other than the obvious roll down the dune.

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
So for the inexperienced what did he do different than the ones he was following? Other than the obvious roll down the dune.

Like they say in the UK; "He didn't have a head for it."

He was bone stock wheels and pretty narrow and tall ground clearance, but as you can see in the video he turned as he crested the razorback and that put him into a tumble.
He should have been on the gas and kept it straight.

He was still rolling down the dune when I reached the bottom. 9 times.
The antagonizer knew he was culpable and was guilt ridden the rest of the trip, never taking any responsibility for dune shaming Steve.
Dune Safe don't listen to others, do what you feel you are capable of.

Last edited:

SIK-06

Reaction score
That sucks! peer pressure is a biotch but not every group has that guy your talking about, in fact he wouldnt last a day in our group. Think someone need to go!

Reactions: TPC

throttle

c ya on da lake
Reaction score
I felt for this guy. Hope things have gotten better. Ouch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

K-DOG

Reaction score
Yeah he just needed to give it more gas when going over the dune transition

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
That sucks! peer pressure is a biotch but not every group has that guy your talking about, in fact he wouldnt last a day in our group. Think someone need to go!

That's true.

18661697.jpg

Advantage 1

Reaction score
Bummer Steve listened to the critic in your group. Sucks to have false confidence and wreck your new toy.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
Does the antagonizer also borrow people’s shit, break it, tell the owner how crappy their borrowed broken shit is and exit the scene?

TCHB

Reaction score
If I ever have anyone new with us we make sure we spend some time on small dunes and make sure if they feel uncomfortable to stop before getting into something that will cause trouble for them. Running the cars in off camber situations is not fun if you are new to the game. Glad your buddies did not get hurt.

rivrrts429

Arch Stanton...
Reaction score
Was this caused by a land/sand slide?

Looked like he turned into the dune and was off the gas. Should’ve been on the gas and followed TPC’s line using gravity to your advantage.

Riding in the dunes, specifically the big dunes, takes experience and “dune knowledge,” much the same as surfers describe “wave knowledge.”

Poor guy got caught up in someone else’s bullshit and drove over his ability. I️ feel for the guy.

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
Glad everyones ok.

"He didn't have a head for it." - that about sums it up as does the phrase "he ran out of talent."

He didn't turn in the correct direction when the car crested.
He should have seen the lead and 2nd car cars lean hard over to the side at the crest and been prepped.

Leading a group is hard work you are supposed to pick a line with 2 paths the whole way.

UD

Deja_Vu

Essex Affectionado
Reaction score
Ouch, that's a tough lesson with a new toy.

Glad everyone is ok.

Icky

Reaction score
He rolled the wrong direction

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
Steve wasn't ready yet...he did the exact opposite of what was required.

Hopefully he is ok and no major injuries. That's a real quick way to make sure your wife never goes for a buggy ride again.

Dirtbag

Reaction score
questions for you guys that have kids or grandkids. Do you let them ride in the front or keep them in the back? My 6 year old is not a small boy. hes 4'6 and 85 lbs. I Have him in front on some rides in Havasu and he freaking loves it.

Heading to Glamis this weekend im all about safety with my little man. Im a seasoned dune rider on quads but an absolute noob 1st timer in the SidexSide. Im gonna be like steve and pick all the safe lines till i feel comfortable. You cant shame me into anything. all youll get is the finger. Main goal is for my lil man to have the time of his life and scream for more. I just gotta keep him safe. We have helmets and harnesses.

TPC i seen this vid on youtube. ive beeen watching every glamis video just to be a more prepared driver. Hope steve is ok and his ride is ok.

DaveH

Reaction score
that was about as rookie of a mistake as it gets. does your friend have zero duning experience?

HB2Havasu

Reaction score
I guess nobody ever told Steve that whenever you crest a dune to turn into the lean and for no reason whatsoever never let off of the skinny pedal lol

Glad your friend came out unscathed. That could have gotten ugly in a hurry!

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
questions for you guys that have kids or grandkids. Do you let them ride in the front or keep them in the back? My 6 year old is not a small boy. hes 4'6 and 85 lbs. I Have him in front on some rides in Havasu and he freaking loves it.

Heading to Glamis this weekend im all about safety with my little man. Im a seasoned dune rider on quads but an absolute noob 1st timer in the SidexSide. Im gonna be like steve and pick all the safe lines till i feel comfortable. You cant shame me into anything. all youll get is the finger. Main goal is for my lil man to have the time of his life and scream for more. I just gotta keep him safe. We have helmets and harnesses.

TPC i seen this vid on youtube. ive beeen watching every glamis video just to be a more prepared driver. Hope steve is ok and his ride is ok.

I think the absolute most important thing, no matter where they sit, is the correct routing of the belts. He needs to be tall enough that the shoulder belt(s) go correctly across his shoulder while the lap belt is at his waist and not higher to compensate. Do you have a factory or aftermarket cage?

that was about as rookie of a mistake as it gets. does your friend have zero duning experience?

and point down hill....lol
Thats kinda what i was thinking. Duning or not, thats damn near driving 101. Definitely offroad driving 101.

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
I think the absolute most important thing, no matter where they sit, is the correct routing of the belts. He needs to be tall enough that the shoulder belt(s) go correctly across his shoulder while the lap belt is at his waist and not higher to compensate. Do you have a factory or aftermarket cage?
Thats kinda what i was thinking. Duning or not, thats damn near driving 101. Definitely offroad driving 101.

Yup -

This is my answer - as long as the kid fits he can ride in any position.

We also observe - No Kids driving kids. Adults drive kids.

UD

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
The group leader is everything. There are only two people in the world I will let lead me anymore. The lead has to take responsibility for Everyone in the group, he has to know their abilities and pick lines that will keep them safe. Make that three, we have a whole different leader on night rides.

That's a fucked up deal right there to be playing with someone's life. Thank god he is ok. Coulda been oh so much worse.

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
The group leader is everything. There are only two people in the world I will let lead me anymore. The lead has to take responsibility for Everyone in the group, he has to know their abilities and pick lines that will keep them safe. Make that three, we have a whole different leader on night rides.

That's a fucked up deal right there to be playing with someone's life. Thank god he is ok. Coulda been oh so much worse.

No shit man.

I feel there requisite pangs of guilt in the postings and Ive seen these things end way worse.

Our group only jabs the experienced guys and the we go out of our way to help the orphans and newbies whenever we inevitably meet.

These cars are pretty safe and everyone waled out with nothing other than bruised egos and wallets is categorized as a good trip. an Expensive lesson.

Not getting hurt or breaking any hardware is a great trip.

UD

Amusingly - We see lots of rolled cars and get the next - call - " how come these doors dont fit" .

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
Glad he wasn't on the Real Housewives of OC cast.

AEA

Reaction score
What about window nets and/or arm restraints to keep all body parts inside the car in an event like this?

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
What about window nets and/or arm restraints to keep all body parts inside the car in an event like this?

You can keep going with nets and and this and that till the car is unusable.

All you really need are fixed point wrist straps - the footwells are pretty restrictive.

The initial urge to put your arm out to stop the roll is what you have to overcome 90% of the time.

its like disneyland - just keep you hands and feet inside the car and you'll be ok.

UD

Last edited:

RVRKID

Reaction score
My son(6 years old) sits on the passenger side either in the front or the back depending who all is with us and what we are doing, I put a wrist restraint on his right arm so it can't fly out if anything was to happen. after last weekend he takes it off and puts it on and he makes sure I have it attached.

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
The point of the thread is

Good takes.

We have a Large Glamis Group we roll with on Holidays.
Everyone watches out for each other and haters and one uppers are banned.
One of my wifes nurse friends is a hot runway model class chick that can out ride the best of them in this group. But thats another story for some other time.

She married recently and her new FIL joined us. He's got a LS7 powered LT car and thinks he's Robbie Gordon,, and he'll tell you you're not.

He started the antagonizing bullshit with a few families that take it easy out there and I showed him the Steve video and the story it's what his kinda talk led to.
Shut him up quick.

Last edited:

wallnutz

Reaction score
Arm restraints are a must for kids. Just make sure they know how to get out of them quickly in case they have to.

Bpracing1127

Reaction score
I wear 5 points and wrist strap in my commander. Only way to go and not uncomfy really at all. Wife didn’t mind either.

As to the guy who crashed. He is way way out of his element to be out there. To me that was such an easy transition how could he have even rolled.

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
Every off road group has that one person that always waddles around and tells everyone else what lousy drivers and people they are.
They go on to say they know someone that has better things than yours, and everything you own, cook or do sucks.

Seems their is no getting away from it and their ramshackle set up is the biggest shit show on the dunes to begin with, and they pretty much suck as a driver on top all that.

Being drunk and stupid and luck running with them doesn't make them Iron Man Stuart,, but they think so.
They are alarmists, one uppers and haters and that's how they roll.

Well, let me introduce you to Steve.
He just bought a new 2017 4 seat Rzr at Halloween and was taking it easy on our runs avoiding any thing he thought he couldn't handle. Steve would cut off, take the low route and meet us at the other side of the dune.

Then, at one stop the critic started working him over. Just antagonizing him and dune shaming Steve.
So, Steve got intimidated and did what he shouldn't have.

I'm in the second X3 in line from the front, that's me in my X3 in front of the camera car Steve:

Couple questions - what cage and belts was he running? Looked like the cage held up ok, from what I could see at the end of the video

DaveH

Reaction score
after thinking about it......you've got this all wrong. Dune safe? your leader didn't do ANYTHING unsafe.....the novice driver completely screwed up and took that transition too slow. That wasn't even difficult or challenging terrain. it's not like he took you into some tight pot holed out soft stuff...that was wide open and as easy as it gets.
dune shaming? what you ride with Elizabeth Warren in your group? this is GLAMIS......ya'know guys being guys....talking smack and having a good time. maybe someone needs some sensitivity lessons.

I think you should give your leader a little more credit.....he is the one sticking his nose out going first.......going over things blind, not knowing who is on the other side or what witches eye awaits.

as for our friend who rolled......education is expensive.

glamis0812

Reaction score
after thinking about it......you've got this all wrong. Dune safe? your leader didn't do ANYTHING unsafe.....the novice driver completely screwed up and took that transition too slow.
dune shaming? what you ride with Elizabeth Warren in your group? this is GLAMIS......ya'know guys being guys....talking smack and having a good time. maybe someone needs some sensitivity lessons.

I think you should give your leader a little more credit.....he is the one sticking his nose out going first.......going over things blind, not knowing who is on the other side or what witches eye awaits.

Completely agree

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
after thinking about it......you've got this all wrong. Dune safe? your leader didn't do ANYTHING unsafe.....the novice driver completely screwed up and took that transition too slow. That wasn't even difficult or challenging terrain. it's not like he took you into some tight pot holed out soft stuff...that was wide open and as easy as it gets.

Completely agree

You both have it wrong.
Not blaming the dune leader, where did you get that?
The guy that intimidated Steve to drive over his skills is the point of the post and culpable.
Not so sure the "leader" expected Steve to follow. He never did in the past.

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
Couple questions - what cage and belts was he running? Looked like the cage held up ok, from what I could see at the end of the video
The cage bent but was replaced on warranty and some door and tupperware damage.
Steve came out OK.
A really decent guy. Felt bad for him.

wallnutz

Reaction score
You both have it wrong.
Not blaming the dune leader, where did you get that?
The guy that intimidated Steve to drive over his skills is the point of the post and culpable.
Not so sure the "leader" expected Steve to follow. He never did in the past.

I get what you are saying about the intimidator, but sometimes you need to be pushed a little to get over the hump, per say.
We lose the dirty laundry in our dune group pretty fast. But we still do have smack talk, hell I have to smack talk, I only have 200hp on a good day with everybody else pushing their twin hair dryers.:rolleyes:

P.S. went down to look for you on Halloween to introduce myself to you, but never made it past the loops, besides hitting the drags.

Activated

Deplorable
Reaction score
So when I finally get a SXS, my first lesson is, never lift?

Noted.

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
The cage bent but was replaced on warranty and some door and tupperware damage.
Steve came out OK.
A really decent guy. Felt bad for him.
Was it a stock cage? Asking because my cage is still stock, my inner optimist is hoping they are stronger than thought :)