WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Electrical Question - DC System??

Faceaz

Reaction score
I?m sure someone on here can help me out with this:

I need to install this electric winch into this light stand. The panel has a winch switch, which just throws the positive to one of two legs (no negative). The winch is just a DC motor has positive / negative terminals, which get switched to change motor direction.

I know it?s just some type of solenoid that will fix the problem, but have no idea what type. The solenoid needs to create a ground to either side for the motor to run. Any ideas???

Attachments

• IMGP0298.jpg
    IMGP0298.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 245

HavaPaul

Reaction score
I?m sure someone on here can help me out with this:

I need to install this electric winch into this light stand. The panel has a winch switch, which just throws the positive to one of two legs (no negative). The winch is just a DC motor has positive / negative terminals, which get switched to change motor direction.

I know it?s just some type of solenoid that will fix the problem, but have no idea what type. The solenoid needs to create a ground to either side for the motor to run. Any ideas???

You have a model number for the Chicago winch? Should be easy to figure out. Any markings on those two terminals like F or R, I or O? I just seen a few relays that would work.
The switch on your panel probably has 3 wires?

Last edited:

Motor Boater

Reaction score
Its your rotary Derter thats the problem. I would replace it with something thats got ball bearings, its all ball bearings these days.

Faceaz

Reaction score
Its your rotary Derter thats the problem. I would replace it with something thats got ball bearings, its all ball bearings these days.

Ahh, the Rotary Derter :D- I'll have to spend the next few hours looking for that in the manual LOL....

Faceaz

Reaction score
You have a model number for the Chicago winch? Should be easy to figure out. Any markings on those two terminals like F or R, I or O? I just seen a few relays that would work.
The switch on your panel probably has 3 wires?

Don't have the model on teh Chicago Winch, but it's just +/- terminals. The switch has 3 wires, one + going in & 2 +'s going out - it's just a toggle up or down with the middle being off.

OCMerrill

All in...
Reaction score
Thanks - you probably saved me allot of time :D.

Your lucky I know what diesel engines look like. :D

Muffler bearings I would look into since it's all about bearings these days.

;):p

Seriously - you need some sort of solenoid as even the smallest of winches will pull more amperage then you think.

Don't you just dig threadcrapping. Without our help, who's help would you have?

:D

Last edited:

stokerwhore

aka bordsmnj
Reaction score
connect the leads to a meter to your winch out puts and see what kinda power you got when you throw the switch.

Last edited:

JBS

Reaction score
Am I missing something. If it has only a pos and neg how is it capable of reversing. Normally this is done by reversing polarity

Sent from my DROID PRO using Tapatalk

Faceaz

Reaction score
connect the leads to a meter to your winch out puts and see what kinda power you got when you throw the switch.

I know both legs off the switch are positive, just needs to go through some sort of relay or solenoid, so that it will alter which terminal on the winch recieves + & -.

Vmjtc3

Banned
Reaction score
Generaly you use either 4) SPST Relays or(2) SPDT Relays or a Reversing Solenoid. If you want to control a winch with a single two position toggle.

Reversing solenoid is by far the easiest to wire.
reversingcontactor.jpg

Faceaz

Reaction score
Am I missing something. If it has only a pos and neg how is it capable of reversing. Normally this is done by reversing polarity

It's just a dc motor, switch the positive / negative & the motor will run foward / reverse.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Reverse the leads and it will run reverse.

Sent from my Droid in hell

Zactly. You COULD do it your self with 4 ford starter selinoids, but would prolly be a lot easier to jus google winch selinoid. tons of options out there.

Faceaz

Reaction score
Generaly you use either 4) SPST Relays or(2) SPDT Relays or a Reversing Solenoid. If you want to control a winch with a single two position toggle.

Reversing solenoid is by far the easiest to wire.
reversingcontactor.jpg

Looks like something I'm after, do you have a wiring diagram for something like that? Oh & where to get it?

Thx.

Vmjtc3

Banned
Reaction score
Oh and you should be able to get a 24450 at most electrical supply places. Grainger should have one. If they dont try a 4 wheel parts place or an equipment rental outfit they use them all the time. If you dont need them right away you can google 24450 and there are quite a few places to pick them up online and have it delivered. :thumbsup

JBS

Reaction score
Well that's what I thought other than it was stated there was a positive and a neg terminal. A simple relay with the switch u have is all u need

Faceaz

Reaction score
DC motors typically have a +/- or red / black wires on them so you know which polarity is foward or reverse.

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
You can also use a pair of standard 5 pole automotive relays, available at Checker, Autozone, Kragen, Pep Boys etc. When the switch is off, and the relays are idle, it just sends ground to both sides of the motor. Then when you turn one relay on it throws positive to that side of the motor, and when you throw the other on throws positive to the opposite side of the motor, reversing it.

Attachments

• Reversing Relay Circuit.jpg
    Reversing Relay Circuit.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 568

Faceaz

Reaction score
Oh and you should be able to get a 24450 at most electrical supply places. Grainger should have one. If they dont try a 4 wheel parts place or an equipment rental outfit they use them all the time. If you dont need them right away you can google 24450 and there are quite a few places to pick them up online and have it delivered. :thumbsup

Pricey little guys, $75.00 on ebay.

Thanks again.

Faceaz

Reaction score
You can also use a pair of standard 5 pole automotive relays, available at Checker, Autozone, Kragen, Pep Boys etc. When the switch is off, and the relays are idle, it just sends ground to both sides of the motor. Then when you turn one relay on it throws positive to that side of the motor, and when you throw the other on throws positive to the opposite side of the motor, reversing it.

Probably a cheaper route - thx. I'll probably go with the 24450 to keep it a bit cleaner.

Vmjtc3

Banned
Reaction score
Pricey little guys, $75.00 on ebay.

Thanks again.
Your welcome, glad to help a little:thumbsup

Yeah they are not the cheapest but by far the easiest to wire if you have not messed with motor controls much. Thats why I suggested it. There are cheaper options but this one is the easiest I believe.

Baja Big Dog

Banned
Reaction score
Use a Cole Hersee P/N 24401, simple 12v reversing relay. about 30 buc ks.

use a center off double pole switch to control the relay.
NOTE!! Are your intentions to use this as a "winch" or a "hoist", if your using it as a hoist, your gonna have problems with using a winch, in fact your going to have the potential for disaster,

Outdrive1

Outdrive1 Marine Sales https://www.outdrive1.com/
Reaction score

This is what I would do. :thumbsup