WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Fiberglassing wood

lebel409

Reaction score
Hi All

I'm making a box to fit in my canoe...went a little overboard and made the top out of walnut and mahogany...anyway I want to fiberglass it to make it bullet proof.

I plan on resining it, then applying glass, then re-resining it. If this is wrong let my know.

My question is how fine should I sand it to look good under glass...like a wood deck?

Thanks,

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
There is a ton of ways to go.. But if you resin and glass it,look into surfboard resin. Its water clear.

Heylam

Reaction score
I would put on a sealer coat of poly laminating resin thinned well with styrene. I would let that sit a day or two, then I would laminate a coat of cloth using laminating resin. After that set up, I would brush on a hot coat using sanding resin. I would then sand that out and put a gloss coat on using gloss resin. Wet sand, polish, and sit back and admire the beauty of the wood.
Sounds like a lot of work, but it would be really easy and would come out beautiful.

lebel409

Reaction score
I'm not worried about the finish of the fiberglass...but what the wood looks like underneath. 120? 400?

Heylam

Reaction score
With the method I described, the fiberglass would be invisible. It would look like a highly varnished finish but would have added strength and a waterproof finish.

Heylam

Reaction score
Are you talking about final finish? If so, wet sanding to 400 would give a nice smooth finish, but it wouldn't take much more to really put a beautiful finish on it. Then again, I'm not sure what finish is existing on the canoe, and I would match to what I had. It would never look right to ave mismatched finishes. Where are you located?

lebel409

Reaction score
The canoe has gray gel inside.

To be honest, I don't care what the fiberglass looks like...it's just to protect/reinforce the wood. I just need to know what grit to sand the wood. If 400 is too fine to adhere, if 120 looks like ass, etc. Just a utility box to hold camping stuff, going on the beach, sand and rocks.

Heylam

Reaction score
I wouldn't sand any finer then 120 grit for proper adhesion