WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Flat earth

rrrr

Reaction score
I wonder why we need time zones . I seems a flat earth would light up all at once.

When it's noon in London, it's 6 AM in Dallas.

As buck35 points out, there are time zones, 24 of them.

We all know there are 24 hours in a day and 360 degrees in a circle. Dividing those 360 degrees by 24 time zones equals 15 degrees per time zone. With the exception of modifications to ease regional difficulties which time zones sometimes impose, the image below illustrates worldwide time zone deviations.

There is no flat earth model that accounts for time zones and sunrise/sunset times that change over the passage of time and return again and again year after year.

The sunrise and sunset vary in a completely predictable manner throughout the year, due to the earth's axial oscillation.

But there is no reasonable postulation by the flat earthers which explains this. In fact, the fatal issue in all of their claims is that there is no manner in which to unify the flat earthers various explanations of observed events.

Their axial tilt explanation which addresses movement of the changes in the azimuth elevation of stars conflicts with their explanation of seasonal temperature and weather pattern changes.

Their model of the annual passage of time and variations that are corrected by a leap day every four years and the occasional insertion of additional seconds into a particular day do not align with the observed and actual events.

The tortured reasoning put forward to explain the other planets and their orbital characteristics are almost laughable.

A time zone map:

1920px-Standard_World_Time_Zones.png

This is typical garbage from the Daily Mail. They say:

• "The distortion is the result of the Mercator map which was created in 1596 to help sailors navigate the world
  • It gives the right shapes of countries but at the cost of distorting sizes in favour of the wealthy lands to the north
  • For instance, north America looks larger, or at least as big, as Africa, and Greenland also looks of comparable size"

1596! This is big news!

The Mercator projection distorts countries because geometric shapes can't be reproduced in a two dimensional portrayal.

Claiming it distorts "sizes in favour of the wealthy lands to the north" shows their idiocy, and attaching a political reason to their stupidity confirms the Daily Mail should only be used to soak up puppy urine.

So we agree the globe isn’t accurate and there’s a shit load of other projections not accurate... do we agree the Japanese scientist has made the most accurate map? Not once have i said I believed the earth is flat... I said there’s a few things that really interest me.... on both sides of it

The amount of distortion on a globe is miniscule. The difference between the diameter of the earth at the poles and the equator is 14 miles. That isn't going to show up on a globe.

The "Japanese scientist" is fiction. As I said above, you can't make an accurate flat map of the earth without distorting it or cutting longitudinal section lines on it. Here's an example.

This is a Goode homosoline projection. It has less distortion than a Mercator projection because the cuts minimize the area of distortion.

300px-Goode_homolosine_projection_SW.jpg

Last edited:

rrrr

Reaction score
Question...Has anyone ever flown around the World from the North Pole down to the South Pole and back the other side? I’m Curious why not if they haven’t...lots of ppl have flown from West to East, but I can’t find anything about a North/South trip?

There are dozens, if not hundreds, of satellites in polar orbits.

Vic mentioned "Thin air" in another post. I'll try to explain the atmosphere. Think of it as a soap bubble with the earth inside it. The bubble contains the atmosphere, which is mostly nitrogen and about 21% oxygen. The depth of the Earth's atmosphere is constant around the entire planet. The weight of the atmosphere pressing down on the earth is 14.7 PSI.

Did you know that all pressure gauges which read zero at sea level are actually reading 14.7 PSI and the pressure scale graduation numbers artificially start at zero instead of 14.7? That's why there are two pressure scales, PSIA (absolute) and PSIG (gauge).

Lower pressure readings occur at higher altitudes because there's less atmosphere above.

This part of Tommy's post explains why the North Star doesn't move in the sky, but probably not in a way you would understand without further explanation.

Our earth sits on a polar axis of 23.5* off plane of the orbit path around the sun. Our earth rotates on its poles at this tilt.

There are indeed answers to all of your questions. That you don't know them is simply because you weren't educated in advanced geography, astronomy, and physics. That's not a big deal. You probably don't have a need for this knowledge, and some of it requires specific college level classes, so don't be insulted by what I say or be bothered by it.

Last edited:

rrrr

Reaction score
That one just doesn’t make sense to me. Same with water always being flat. If nothing else by asking questions I’ve pissed off my wife. To the point she’s picking up Her dads old stuff from her mom and we are going to set it up in bhc :p probably be pretty cool for the kids

Actually these thoughts were in Einstein's head when he developed his General Theory of Relativity. He thought about these conundrums, and came up with the thought experiment of a man standing in a box on Earth's surface and another man in a box that was increasingly accelerating at 32 feet per second per second, or 1 G.

He realized there was no way for the men to determine if they were standing still in the box because of gravity or moving in a state of acceleration.

These two conditions were equivalent, or relative. This began his search to explain the relationship between space and time in motionless and accelerated modalities. Einstein then came up with a mathematical expression which proved this, thus his General Theory of Relativity.

I might add you and I have absolutely no need to know any more than this about Einstein and relativity.

And I'm done posting for the night. :D

Last edited:

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
Lol. Right?
The Coriolis effect does not make toilets flush backwards in the Southern Hemisphere.
You can make any toilet flush in any direction.
The Coriolis effect simply isn’t strong enough to make it do it.

I have seen petrified coral while Drilling samples in equatorial locations where some sea shells were wound counterclockwise.
The geologist on site said it was due to the Coriolis effect in the past when axial tilt was probably more pronounced. Don’t know how old they were, but we retrieved samples from about 80’ or so.
Hurricanes also swirl in opposite directions due to the effect, or so Ive read.
Why do hurricanes spin both ways regardless of where they are at

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
I gotta say Vic, researching the cosmos and our earth is an outstanding and incredibly fascinating endeavor.
It is truly mind boggling and eye opening. It’s a great “hobby” to involve kids in and really opens the door for building excitement about subjects like advanced mathematics and science in general!
I highly recommend it BUT I also recommend not wasting time on things like a flat earth, unless that path gets you involved in learning about our solar system and galaxy and beyond.
I wish I had the capability to understand the math and cosmology at a higher level than I do, but sadly like most I simply can not grasp the enormity of the subject.
But what I DO understand is that these flat earthers tend to discard proven science and math and physics out of hand.
I’ve watched a lot of their videos and theories and I gotta say they make me look completely sane.
The roundly believe NASA is nothing but a PR endevour, the ice cliffs at Antarctica are a water retaining wall, they have no knowledge of gravity or our solar system, and seem completely ate up with a theory that has its roots in one thing, conspiracy by the government for some unknown agenda...mostly money.
It’s insane.

Last edited:

500bbc

Reaction score
It’s a comment on conditioned behavior and things that have no answer.
Like round pizzas in square boxes.
Take 5 monkeys and put them in a room with a banana hanging from a string and a ladder.
When a monkey goes up the ladder for the banana, paste them all wide open with a 2” fire hose.
Soon, one will go back up the ladder. Hit them again with the fire hose.
Now, when one tries to go up the ladder the other 4 will drag him down and kick the shit out of them.
Take out one monkey and put in a new monkey. When he goes up the ladder, the other 4 kick his ass.
Put your hose away, you won’t need it anymore.
Keep switching out monkeys. Soon you have 5 monkeys that have NEVER seen the fire hose, but whenever one goes for the banana the other 4 drag him down and beat his ass...why??

“Because that’s the way we’ve always done it”...

Or because you can't toss a square pizza.

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
The Winkel triple projection is pretty good, and a lot like the Goode map, but making the lat long relative 2d representation of 3d space the Peters map represents proportional land mass extremely well, and is the likely best candidate to replace the 300 year old Mercator projection map, and what Unesco and Oxfam use now. The politics of maps is amazing.

true_world_map_continents.jpg

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
Is the way maps look a huge problem for people? I someone bitching about it?

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score
Take 5 monkeys and put them in a room with a banana hanging from a string and a ladder.
When a monkey goes up the ladder for the banana, paste them all wide open with a 2” fire hose.
Soon, one will go back up the ladder. Hit them again with the fire hose.
Now, when one tries to go up the ladder the other 4 will drag him down and kick the shit out of them.
Take out one monkey and put in a new monkey. When he goes up the ladder, the other 4 kick his ass.
Put your hose away, you won’t need it anymore.
Keep switching out monkeys. Soon you have 5 monkeys that have NEVER seen the fire hose, but whenever one goes for the banana the other 4 drag him down and beat his ass...why??

“Because that’s the way we’ve always done it”...

I use this all the time at work.

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
Is the way maps look a huge problem for people? I someone bitching about it?

It is, and they do. Accuracy means something.

DO you want kids growing up thinking Alaska is nearly the size of the continental US or understanding its about 1/3 of that?

Looking at the classic mercator projection map you simply have no idea how big or small someplace is (esp... Alaksa, Greenland, Europe and Antartica), or even where it actually is spatially.

The Europeans were originally quite vested in exaggerating their actual role in world stage early on and very happy with the Mercator projection.

UD

Last edited:

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
It is, and they do. Accuracy means something.

DO you want kids growing up thinking Alaska is nearly the size of the continental US or underatdning its about 1/3 of that.

Looking at the classic mercator projection map you simply have no idea how big or small someplace is (esp... Alaksa, Greenland, Europe and Antartica), or even where it actually is spatially.

The Europeans were originally quite vested in exaggerating their actual role in world stage early on and very happy with the Mercator projection.

UD

So is a globe considered accurate?

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
It was said earlier because the earth isn’t perfectly round like that. Something like that anyways

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
So is a globe considered accurate?

Depends.

Most are better than a Mercator projection but even the best ones are still not 100%.

1. the earth isnt exactly round
2. many globes are cheaply made with 2D projections glued onto them - a higher end globe will have a Winkle triple projection, or Goode projection glued onto it.

A globe made using the authagraphic technique will fold into a very accurate world representation.

As it is GPS uses 24 satellites in 12 hour "orbits" to cover 6 planes 3 of which give you a position lock and a 4th to give you a true 3d position.
A flat earth would only need 3- much cheaper!

UD

ChiliPepperGarage

Well Known RDP Cart Returner
Reaction score
If the earth is flat how does gravity work?

And how thick is it? If you kept digging a hole would you eventually get to the bottom? If you did would you fall through or would gravity pull you back up (down?)?

What about volcano's? Where is all that lava coming from?

Didn't the SR71 Black Birds constantly circle the earth? Or did they just fly from one edge then turn around and go back they other way? Or did they just fly around the circumference? Wouldn't at least one of the pilots say something?

What's on the bottom side of it? Is there some sort of reverse alternate earth down there and we all have doppelgangers living on it?

o_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_O

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
Heres a fun clip from the West Wing thats partially in the vid above. Im not so concerned about the social message contained here, but the accuracy.

The line I like in this and the reason to change is - "nothing is where you think it is"

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
If the earth is flat how does gravity work?

And how thick is it? If you kept digging a hole would you eventually get to the bottom? If you did would you fall through or would gravity pull you back up (down?)?

What about volcano's? Where is all that lava coming from?

Didn't the SR71 Black Birds constantly circle the earth? Or did they just fly from one edge then turn around and go back they other way? Or did they just fly around the circumference? Wouldn't at least one of the pilots say something?

What's on the bottom side of it? Is there some sort of reverse alternate earth down there and we all have doppelgangers living on it?

o_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_O
Some people say heaven would be up and hell would be underneath :eek::confused:

UAV.Pilot

Reaction score
2:30 seconds in is all I could take... and I feel dumber for having wasted that much time listening to that logic. I hope that is a spoof video.
It’s entertainment man! Lol...

There are so many videos on the subject, it’s just crazy really, 6 months ago my buddy said hey watch a video about flat earth, I was like really?
I’m a commercial pilot and fly constantly, I see a curve, and that’s that for me...

rmarion

Stop The Steal
Reaction score
It’s entertainment man! Lol...

There are so many videos on the subject, it’s just crazy really, 6 months ago my buddy said hey watch a video about flat earth, I was like really?
I’m a commercial pilot and fly constantly, I see a curve, and that’s that for me...

UAV, you just answer my question without me asking it!!!!!

530RL

Reaction score
That’s what’s going to happen with all the building on the island in Havasu, it’s going to capsize and then break the London Bridge and it will fall down.😐
But if a man made canal cuts off a peninsula, is it really an island? 🤔🤔

hman442

Reaction score
That’s what’s going to happen with all the building on the island in Havasu, it’s going to capsize and then break the London Bridge and it will fall down.😐
That's why they need the new "second bridge". It will act like a gusset, and hold the island upright!

DRYHEAT

Reaction score
That's why they need the new "second bridge". It will act like a gusset, and hold the island upright!
Back when I lived on the island, I could see the need for a second bridge, now I just don’t give a rats ass because I live out close to the desert away from the lunacy.😊

rrrr

Reaction score