WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Fresh lipstick on an old .............

AzGeo

Fair winds and following seas George.. Rest Easy..
Reaction score
Work truck, now a river rat rod .

Have a little time before the Hondo comes back from paint/lettering, and so I thought I'd get this old beast back on the road .

Special ordered in 1978, delivered in November 1978 . Turbocharged January 1979, driven 221,000 miles (turbo) on the stock motor . (draw thru carb, H2O injection)

Replaced motor 1989, 2 bolt, cast crank, 3/8" (shot peened) rods, Arias pistons, balanced, Engle TC5 . Rolled up to 497,000, and then parked for over 11 years .

Motor runs good, but want to freshen the top end and do some upgrades on the breathing .

Pulled off the intake, exhaust, and heads . Checked the cam timing and it's lost 2 degrees, so it's now in a 2+, instead of 4+ when new .

Going with (fresh) 049 heads, CC'd to equalize, double springs, PC seals, Cometic gaskets, 3/8" push rods, Crane roller rockers .

On top will be a GM based Mercruiser oval port EFI system (like a Vortec truck), water to air inter cooler, and a Garrett hair drier .

Changing the EFI over to "return style" for instant fuel pressure and volume control .

It's a dual tank truck, so I'll be using the block mounted fuel pump to fill a "T" tank that I will build and mount in the right front fender area . Doing this will allow use of all the original fuel lines and valves .

Mounted below the tank fuel level will be a filter into an electric high pressure EFI fuel pump . Fuel will go up thru the rails, out thru a "return style regulator", back to the "T" tank .

Here are the starting pix of tear down, new crossover pipe (409 ss), and trying to figure out mounting a blower that is three times larger than the original .

Original mild steel crossover pipe had the Turbonetics delta gate mounted to it . I remember buying it from Bob Keller when he was back in Panorama City . (that's from the way-back machine)

Since the turbo will require a "riser" to clear the motor, I'm going to fab up a block with a new waste gate, and a bracket down to the cylinder head to hold all the weight . (then mill off the back of the alternator brackets)

It's been slow due to the heat, and all the materials must be "mail ordered" to this small town .

So, here's the start of another project ........

Attachments

• IMG_9033.JPG
    IMG_9033.JPG
    53.1 KB · Views: 249
  • IMG_9749.JPG
    IMG_9749.JPG
    62.1 KB · Views: 237
  • IMG_9665.JPG
    IMG_9665.JPG
    80 KB · Views: 234
  • IMG_9683.JPG
    IMG_9683.JPG
    65.2 KB · Views: 239
  • IMG_9691.JPG
    IMG_9691.JPG
    57.2 KB · Views: 254
  • IMG_9692.JPG
    IMG_9692.JPG
    57.1 KB · Views: 232

AzGeo

Reaction score
Does it have an outlet of 3/8"+ on the bottom ?

I want the high pressure electrical EFI pump to have "abundant fuel volume above it", since they don't draw well .

What material is it made of ? If alum. is it anodized ? Thanks G

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
Does it have an outlet of 3/8"+ on the bottom ?

I want the high pressure electrical EFI pump to have "abundant fuel volume above it", since they don't draw well .

What material is it made of ? If alum. is it anodized ? Thanks G

It is aluminium, not anodized. -8 outlet I believe, -6 inlet and returns. I'll double check the sizes though.

AzGeo

Reaction score
I don't see any outlet fittings on the bottom .

This "T" tank would basically act as a "gravity fed sump" for the high pressure EFI return style system .

I would like it to be at least one gallon of volume, or more .

However, things are now "one step forward, two steps back" . Checking the cylinder heads I had rebuilt locally .

Wanted to keep the "exhaust valve rotators" , due to the fact that this is 90% a low RPM road truck, and coming down off of boost to vacuum driving, I wanted to make sure the exhaust valves did not get hot spots, or tulip during cool downs .

I always "double check and then check again", because when it's all together, it's a real PITA to take apart and repair .

Closed "seat pressure" is 110 lbs, but over the nose I am seeing only 265/270 . I would never build any nice flat hydraulic car/boat motor with less than 320/330 lbs over the nose with .500" lift.

WTF, was this not checked ? I'll find out on Monday .

This is a flat tappet hydraulic Engle turbo cam, .500"/.474" 220/212 @ .050", on 114 . This mild POS should roll up to low 6's with enough spring pressure, and I only want mid 5's out of it .

I'm thinking that these weak springs will not spin up to 5000 RPMs, let alone go where "no man has gone before" . HA HA

I'm tired of going all over the internet, sifting thru all the BS, just to get spring specs .

The OLD DAYS OF PRINTED CATALOGS were way quicker and had more instant info ............

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
I get you. This does not have a fitting on the bottom. The large -8 has a tube to the bottom of the can. This tank was to be a surge tank - a small pressurized sump installed in a fuel injection system. It is bigger than a half gallon, and is either 3/4 of a gallon or a gallon. I've had it like 8 years, so I'm sorry I'm a little foggy on the details. I will be back home tomorrow and can get more specifics.

I really like PAC springs. They give you all the details for a given spring right on their website.