WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Garage build guidance needed.

Maestro

Reaction score
Need guidance on adding a garage, foundation, electrical etc. I'm not familiar with the process of obtaining permits, etc. Need help with the step by step process.
Residential property located in Riverside ca.
Thanks in advance.

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
Need guidance on adding a garage, foundation, electrical etc. I'm not familiar with the process of obtaining permits, etc. Need help with the step by step process.
Residential property located in Riverside ca.
Thanks in advance.

First....are you in the city or county?

Second, once you know that, you need to go there to get your propertys setbacks and such to know building size, height, and other restrictions.

Third, figure out your budget. Get SummitKarl here on the boards to do you up a design and plans.

Get those plans approved by the city, spend a buchadamnmoneybuildinit, and then enjoy your new garage.

Brian

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
Melloyellowvector on here can do the excavation, concrete and foundation.

I don't know of anyone on here that does anything above the slab though.

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
Build the garage as big as you can, otherwise you WILL catch twofootersyndrome, one way or the other.

Install water and a bathroom if you can. You should be able to in riverside.

Consider air and maybe heat now, or later on, due to the budget.

Install as much power as you can, at least 125A, upgrade the panel in your house to 200A if it isn't already.

think about a passthru door on one side, if your property allows it or if the design accommodates it.

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
Id think about stem walls off the slab, even just 6" high, rather than wood directly on the concrete slab.

Maestro

Reaction score
Wanting to do a 30'x60'
Drive through with 12' doors on each end and with a single garage doors on the side. Standard door and windows also.
My lot is 140' Wide x 210 Deep. Almost 3/4 acre. Shouldn't be a problem.

johnnyC

Reaction score
what ever you do have it built with a vapor barrier under the slab and stem walls, it will help against water migration. the vapor barrier will prevent the concrete from leaching alkali up through the slab when the ground becomes saturated with water, also check out the gravels of the concrete you want clean gravels, no clay nodules or you will get popups which will destroy a nice smooth surface and wonder why you wasted the money!
Do at least part of the garage with 14 ft ceilings it will help with resale some day and you can install a 2 post lift for your toys! I thought 10 ft was high enough, well I was wrong costs a little more but you won't be building your self into a corner when your interests change with time ..... ask me how i know!

Last edited:

SummitKarl

LHC Architect
Reaction score
First....are you in the city or county?

Second, once you know that, you need to go there to get your propertys setbacks and such to know building size, height, and other restrictions.

Third, figure out your budget. Get SummitKarl here on the boards to do you up a design and plans.

Get those plans approved by the city, spend a buchadamnmoneybuildinit, and then enjoy your new garage.

Brian
LMAO, that about sums up my everyday:rolleyes: