WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

GM vs Bow Tie engine blocks

Rocket-J

Reaction score
I see many people confusing a GM Engine with a Bow Tie Engine. They think that all GM built blocks are Bow Tie. Not true.
The "Bow Tie" block is sold through the GM High Performance stores. Some dealerships are labeled so, but not all. There are a few grade levels of Bow Tie Blocks from Sportsman grade to full Pro Grade.
Don't take a seller's word for what he is selling. He may not know. Do some research on how to identify a true Bow Tie engine block before you buy it. They have extra features that make them easy to replace your GM block.

Wheeler

I'm just here to bitch about others negativity.😁
Reaction score
Pretty sure it's just a "GM 502"

The "Bowtie" blocks have a different casting number, and an embossed bowtie emblem on the side of the block, very easy to spot.

Do they have a higher nickel content?

SoCalZero

Reaction score
Mine has billet splayed main caps. The block is a gen V but takes a gen IV pan gasket. And of course the bow tie cast into the side.

obnoxious001

Engine building character
Reaction score
Mine has billet splayed main caps. The block is a gen V but takes a gen IV pan gasket. And of course the bow tie cast into the side.

So you have changed out the block that was in it with external water cooling lines? What's the casting number on yours?

SoCalZero

Reaction score
So you have changed out the block that was in it with external water cooling lines? What's the casting number on yours?

This is the same block I got the boat with.
454 Tall Deck. It's a bow tie, race prep

AzGeo

Fair winds and following seas George.. Rest Easy..
Reaction score
Every one I've used had 'blind head bolt holes' in the decks .........

DaveH

Reaction score
no question about it....

the bowtie blocks are sold for racing using and different than "production" blocks. production blocks will not have a bowtie logo.