WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Honda Inverter generators, I have them all,,,

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
The Honda i1000 I hold accountable for burning out our past RV battery chargers.
It just doesn't supply enough power thus chargers will over-heat and grenade from our experiences.
The exception is on our boat where the AGM setting on the charger only draws a few AMPS.
If you charge a battery(s) with it you use the enclosed special 12V cable for that purpose.

It's small size allows it to be stowed away on the boat nicely and about the same noise level (and price) as the i2000.
HondaEU1000i026.jpg

The Honda i2000 is priced right there with the 1000 and about 50% bigger and heavier.. Super quiet.
It's drawback is it's just not enough to run the RV 1400 watt microwave nor the AC, though I've done it.
Handy as hell for everything else though.
The trick is turn off your RV battery charger at the breaker panel and put everything else over to gas operation and with a few tries, you might be able to get it to run the Rv's AC or Microwave. I've done it a few times.

The early i2000 had a way to small gas cap and fill neck and it was hard, slow and messy to re-fuel. The newer i2000's have a larger fuel fill and that problem is cured.
Better to run it than the RV's 5.5 Onan if you are like me and run a Generator 24/7 when camping. 12 hours run time per tank full on econ mode for the i2000, the RV's Onan will burn 2 to 3 times that doing the same job.
This adds up quick over a duning season.

My wife works graveyard shift, and when we RV camp,, she's up all night reading and watching her Animal Planet programs as are the kids watching movies and playing Xbox.
Genny6.jpg

We have both the Honda i3000 elect start and the i3000 Handi. The Handi i3000 a tiny bit more noise than the i3000 but still quiet.
The Handi is about half the weight of the i3000 because it's pull-start and has less fuel capacity. Starts first, easy pull, and it's as Handi as hell to stow, move and set-up. It's da kine.

The Handi on econo mode will run the RV A/C with no sweat as will the heavier, elect start i3000. 7+ hour run time per tank full on econ mode.
It's best to first start the RV AC on the House generator, then switch over to the i3000's.
That initial first start of the RV's AC draws alot more starting amps than it will as it restarts cycling through the day.
i3000 Handi pull start:
images

i3000 electric start:
Honda-EU3000is-Generator-Maintenance-Guide-001.JPG

I've been buying our Honda generators off the internet.
They come triple packed in triple boxes with triple impact packing.

Honda dealers and Camping World wanted $2600 OTD for the Handi i 3000.
I found it online for $2000 delivered to our front door.
The trick is the online sellers have them listed for more money, but when you click to take a closer look,,, suddenly the price is $600 cheaper with no sales tax and free Fed Ex delivery.

Expensive yeah,,, over-priced maybe, the best out there, no question,,, glad I have it,,,, you bet.

ductape1000

Here.
Reaction score
I have the 2000. Handy little bugger. We had a power outage over here about a week ago when someone decided they didn't like where the fire plug was placed. The spray took out a transformer and we were down through out the night. When I got up in the morning and it was still out, out came the gennie and a couple of cords to the refrigerators and we were covered. Oh yeah, that was after the coffee was made. ;)

Reactions: TPC

RCDave

Reaction score
The honda's are great.

I have a Yamaha 2400is. Great genset. It ran my former 21' toyhauler 13.5K A/C and also runs the 15K A/C in my Moho.

A bit more power than the 2000 watt units that is useful sometimes.

Meaney77

Reaction score
X2 on the EU 2000- I have one as well and use it when we camp. Works great and keeps the batteries charged.

intense

Reaction score
So who has the best deal on the honda 2000?

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
So who has the best deal on the honda 2000?

Google it and the prices vary around the year.
You click on the sellers site and a closer look at the generator ya want.
It may ring up cheaper than they advertise it for, and cheaper different times of the year.
Especially if Honda is introducing an improved model and they are clearing out the old.

Our Honda 2 HP outboard was an online steal, then we realized it's replacement, the 2.3HP came out the next week.
The discount was ample enough that we don't see the difference.
One mile per hour difference from the boats swim step to the reef bar is barely noticeable.

Dunno why yet the Handi i3000 was so much cheaper.

throttle

c ya on da lake
Reaction score
I'm going to be buying one soon I think, I like the 2000i, however I am a bit confused by the companion model(?) I have found it as cheap as $950, normal retail seems to be about $1149. I also might look at the Polaris one, any addition thoughts?

yz450mm

Reaction score
Yamaha or Honda 2000 inverter, don't short change yourself and settle for something else. Buy it now and I can guarantee you you will still have it in 20 years.

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
I'm going to be buying one soon I think, I like the 2000i, however I am a bit confused by the companion model(?) I have found it as cheap as $950, normal retail seems to be about $1149. I also might look at the Polaris one, any addition thoughts?

Yamaha or Honda,,, spend the extra $$ and don't look back.

intense

Reaction score
So to do it over again would you get the 3000?

hav19

Big Member
Reaction score
Honda EU2000's are awesome little generators - I had a 18 gallon gas tank made to sit above the wheel well inside my enclosed trailer (gravity feed extenda run), I removed the fuel cap vent from the gas cap on the EU2000 and installed a small out board motor quick disconnect fuel line connector, I made a mount so the EU2000 would hang on the middle trailer tire (helped with vibration and noise, plus the EU2000 was not sitting in the sand), we would get to Glamis on Wednesday morning (1) pull and she would run everything including (2) Direct TV Receivers (2) Color TV's, battery Charger and the Microwave (not the AC) Until Sunday afternoon when we would shut it off and come home, once home a simply oil change (1/3 of a quart of oil) and she was ready for another trip - Well Worth the Money!!!

MH 1.jpg

Meaney77

Reaction score
So to do it over again would you get the 3000?

I am really happy with the 2000, its light weight, economical and easy to store in my storage compartment. The 3000 would be nice, but its more money, bigger/bulkier etc...My only complaint is I wish it had a larger fuel tank. When we camp in the desert during riding season, I run a small space heater in the back of the trailer to keep the kids warm and the EU chews through the gas when running the heater. If I top it off before I go to bed it usually runs out in about 4 hours. They make a larger tank that I need to look into

During the summer months we camp at the beach where its cool or Park Moabi with full hook ups. I have never had a time where I ran my AC without hook ups.

Meaney77

Reaction score
Honda EU2000's are awesome little generators - I had a 18 gallon gas tank made to sit above the wheel well inside my enclosed trailer (gravity feed extenda run), I removed the fuel cap vent from the gas cap on the EU2000 and installed a small out board motor quick disconnect fuel line connector, I made a mount so the EU2000 would hang on the middle trailer tire (helped with vibration and noise, plus the EU2000 was not sitting in the sand), we would get to Glamis on Wednesday morning (1) pull and she would run everything including (2) Direct TV Receivers (2) Color TV's, battery Charger and the Microwave (not the AC) Until Sunday afternoon when we would shut it off and come home, once home a simply oil change (1/3 of a quart of oil) and she was ready for another trip - Well Worth the Money!!!

View attachment 381607

Great idea, do you have any pics or how you rigged the line into the gas cap? The extended run tanks I have seen are a few hundred$$ and not sure I want to deal with it. I would rather try and rig a gravity feed line from a 5 gallon jerry can from the bed of my truck or something.

hav19

Big Member
Reaction score
Great idea, do you have any pics or how you rigged the line into the gas cap? The extended run tanks I have seen are a few hundred$$ and not sure I want to deal with it. I would rather try and rig a gravity feed line from a 5 gallon jerry can from the bed of my truck or something.

Its alot easier then you think, if you remove the vent from the EU2000 gas cap, you simply drill the hole out and tap it to the thread size of the male quick disconnect fitting - I went to West Marine picked out the male and female fittings, used hose clmaps on the barbed side and thats all she wrote....My buddy did what you are thinking with the 5 gallon can, but running 24/7 like we would do, he'd be out there at odd times or bad weather changing things out, just to be a good friend I would always watch from inside my coach to make sure he was doing it correctly and of course so I would have aomething to tease him about the next day, LOL - I sold my Glamis stuff so no better pics, but I believe I have extra quick dissconnect fittings in my tools box, if I find them I will post pics for ya....One last thought for you, don't forget to vent the 5 gallon can or the gravity feed won't work.......

intense

Reaction score
Well shit i don't know which way to go honda 2000 for 999. used 3000 with 17 hours for 1600 on craigslist or the yamaha 2400 for 1275

tkrrox

Reaction score
Well shit i don't know which way to go honda 2000 for 999. used 3000 with 17 hours for 1600 on craigslist or the yamaha 2400 for 1275

All depends on your needs. The 2400 will run your ac as far as I know. I love my 2000. When I need bigger I just turn on the genny in my hauler. But the 2000 runs 99% of my needs. Only turn on big one when I need ac