WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

How much money do you have in your RZR? And pics...........

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I was thinking about it but prob wont for the next year or so. My son won't be able to ride in one for prob 2 more years when I'll do a 4 seater. But who knows anything is possible.

Summer is 1 and we had her out in the Ranger crew at six months in a car seat.. We just cruise around though and aren't going anywhere fast.

What would you guys say is the cutoff point, between optioning up a RZR for an investment of 40k - VS - Buying a nice dual purpose buggy for 40k ???

I know the RZR is smaller, lighter, possibly cheaper on maintainance and fits in a TH or trailer better. Why else would one chose a RZR over a rail in the same price range?

For out here I would take the SxS. Narrow trails and the ability to go up billy goat trails etc.. They are just more fun. Rails haul ass, but for just cruising around are kind of cumbersome.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I haven't seen the new Yamaha in person yet.. But I would be looking at that real hard if I was looking for a performance Sxs right now.. The tranny has to be the shit!!

NeverSatisfied

Reaction score
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1447382484.655716.jpg

NeverSatisfied

Reaction score
07 660. 129 miles. Prp carbon fiber seats and belts. Alpine stereo 4 speakers and a 8"sub(i think its a 8") under drivers seat. ITP wheels with goodyear tires. TCB cage and bumper. Billet nick nacks hear and there. Long travel with king shocks and Ridged industries led.

G. Faulk

Reaction score
I haven't seen the new Yamaha in person yet.. But I would be looking at that real hard if I was looking for a performance Sxs right now.. The tranny has to be the shit!!

They have them at the Havasu dealer, I seen one there the weekend of the boat drags.

NicPaus

Reaction score
I thought Parker Yamaha had the new 4 seat Turbo's in stock. Recall $27,800 OTD. From what I have read best to do a group buy out of state and send one guy to do the deal and sign the papers and meet the shipper and fly home.

Edit had 4 people go to buy RZR4 turbos last weekend and they are $30K OTD 2 seat $27800

Andy01

Reaction score
I called the Gary mentioned but no return calls. Looks like Jack at AZ West has a pretty fair deal, not much inventory right now. The turbo cars seem to be held up, and the 1000's are in route.

What about extended warranty? Some buy it? Or everyone buy it? Polaris or different company? I normally don't buy them.

2CHILL

Reaction score
The Sand Muffin. My buddies 900 4 seater with SDR cage, windshield and 250hp turbo charged apex snowmobile motor...

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1447435700411.jpg
    FB_IMG_1447435700411.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 110

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
I had a pretty nice rail (well, for me it was)...LS2 4 seater yada yada...

But, it was strictly limited to and set up for Glamis / duning. Was it a blast to dune, hell yea! But there was no way in hell it was ever going to see a gnarly ass high desert trail. Too much invested in the looks, not to mention the expensive parts on it that are much more likely to break in the desert.

The SXS (I have a tricked out Commander for me and a long travel Rhino for my guests) are just much more enjoyable and much more versatile. Have yet to see even one po-po on the trails aroudn Havasu, but they were everywhere in Glamis.

That rail was sweet, ran like a raped ape, jumped and landed so softly it's just undescribable. But, very happy with the transition to SXS's...

FWIW...

I will gladly be your guest.. Neighbor.

pkrrvr619

Reaction score

I rode with the owner of a company that sells the yamaha's and he said customers are bringing them back in for work as they are blowing the 2nd and 3rd gears...... probably due to driver inexperience but something to consider as banging around gears in the dunes is tough on equipment.

TOBTEK

Reaction score
I called the Gary mentioned but no return calls. Looks like Jack at AZ West has a pretty fair deal, not much inventory right now. The turbo cars seem to be held up, and the 1000's are in route.

What about extended warranty? Some buy it? Or everyone buy it? Polaris or different company? I normally don't buy them.

BUY the warranty on a Polaris.......Period!

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
I rode with the owner of a company that sells the yamaha's and he said customers are bringing them back in for work as they are blowing the 2nd and 3rd gears...... probably due to driver inexperience but something to consider as banging around gears in the dunes is tough on equipment.

This was the concern all along.. Yamaha has a tendency to get it right on round 2 - things like the front ends on banshees were changed a year or two into the product lifecycle.

The raptor (I think) 660 a complete POS - the nearly - but not identical 700- GOLD.

Its probably jumping as much as power shifting which bends the shift shafts - I watch guys jump an land in gear in cars all the time - sending that backlash through the drivetrain and gearbox.

Guys that come from bikes that have always jumped and landed in gear - transition to cars and only pick this up when at the first rebuild time.

Mendeolas and Weddles hell even bus boxes get REAL expensive.

U Dave

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
When you dont have brute speed you can still use momentum to have fun with a RZR.

[video=vimeo;145603617]https://vimeo.com/145603617[/video]

UD

Andy01

Reaction score
When you dont have brute speed you can still use momentum to have fun with a RZR.

[video=vimeo;145603617]https://vimeo.com/145603617[/video]

UD

That's a lot of speed and momentum, if that had turned bad it would have gone real bad! Killer jump though.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
The Sand Muffin. My buddies 900 4 seater with SDR cage, windshield and 250hp turbo charged apex snowmobile motor...

Who did the conversion? Stock driveline or is the tranny and belt system out of the snowmobile as well? Any axle problems?

Hammer

Reaction score

That is a good looking RZR. Going to look at an 800 today, I think I'm going do a motor swap and be money ahead than buying a new one.

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
This was the concern all along.. Yamaha has a tendency to get it right on round 2 - things like the front ends on banshees were changed a year or two into the product lifecycle.

The raptor (I think) 660 a complete POS - the nearly - but not identical 700- GOLD.

Its probably jumping as much as power shifting which bends the shift shafts - I watch guys jump an land in gear in cars all the time - sending that backlash through the drivetrain and gearbox.

Guys that come from bikes that have always jumped and landed in gear - transition to cars and only pick this up when at the first rebuild time.

Mendeolas and Weddles hell even bus boxes get REAL expensive.

U Dave

Can u explain? I read that a few times maybe I'm reading it wrong? I know on my bike im off the gas in the air unless in bringing the front wheel up. But when i land im on the gas what do u mean land in gear?

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
That's a lot of speed and momentum, if that had turned bad it would have gone real bad! Killer jump though.

I was just thinking I'm not sure I'm down for that. I've grown up in 2 wheels and 4 in the dirt have always scared me

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
Can u explain? I read that a few times maybe I'm reading it wrong? I know on my bike im off the gas in the air unless in bringing the front wheel up. But when i land im on the gas what do u mean land in gear?

What I mean is that you jump " in gear" and don't pull in the clutch when you land - so the wheel trans and engine speed immediate speed up or slow down when the rear wheel hits and that stress goes right through the driveline.

a 200 pound bike and rider when it lands in gear - is s lot less stress on a transmission than a 1500- lb car with 400Lb of beef in it.

When a manual gearbox car jumps the mismatched wheel speed from the engine unloading vs the ground speed when it lands creates a "torque wave" - all that shock goes right through the transmission.

Same concept when you launch a boat- you pull back to avoid running up the Rpm so when you land the prop hooks and puts all that stress through the driveline only its not a transmission its a bravo gear.

If you want to save a car transmission either push the clutch in when the car lands or don't jump at all. - Guys that grew up on bikes don't do this and you can see it when they jump and blip the throttle in the air and you can hear it when they land.

UD

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
What I mean is that you jump " in gear" and don't pull in the clutch when you land - so the wheel trans and engine speed immediate speed up or slow down when the rear wheel hits and that stress goes right through the driveline.

a 200 pound bike and rider when it lands in gear - is s lot less stress on a transmission than a 1500- lb car with 400Lb of beef in it.

When a car jumps the mismatched wheel speed from the engine unloading vs the ground speed when it lands creates a "torque wave" - all that shock goes right through the transmission.

Same concept when you launch a boat- you pull back to avoid running up the Rpm so when you land the prop hooks and puts all that stress through the driveline only its not a transmission its a bravo gear.

If you want to save a car transmission either push the clutch in when the car lands or don't jump at all. - Guys that grew up on bikes don't do this and you can see it when they jump and blip the throttle in the air and you can hear it when they land.

UD

Thank u I'd be one of those guys [emoji12]

Tommy Gun Images

Media Lackey
Staff member
Reaction score

Andy, did you get ahold of Gary?

River Lynchmob

What can I do to u for u?
Reaction score
Test drove an 8 and 900 today, without a doubt the 900 is far better. You guys are spot on. Some 900's can be had for around 15kish used but you can get into a brand new 900 for not much more with warranty. Tough call.....
You can get a 1000 used for less than 15...a 900 for 15 should be stupid as

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
Wrong season to pick up anything cheap- wait till spring.

UD

Hammer

Reaction score
Be patient..don't be an impulse buyer

Wrong season to pick up anything cheap- wait till spring.

UD

I agree. The gf wants something before thanksgiving. Debating on buying a new 4 seat 1k (non turbo) and keeping it for the long haul. It is just going to be a cruiser.Some of these used ones I've looked at are beat on pretty hard. I really don't know enough about them to trust it's been well taken care of. The 900 wouldn't shift into reverse, then made a grind/clunk noise before it engaged. We passed seeing how he wouldn't budge on his price....

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
I agree. The gf wants something before thanksgiving. Debating on buying a new 4 seat 1k (non turbo) and keeping it for the long haul. It is just going to be a cruiser.Some of these used ones I've looked at are beat on pretty hard. I really don't know enough about them to trust it's been well taken care of. The 900 wouldn't shift into reverse, then made a grind/clunk noise before it engaged. We passed seeing how he wouldn't budge on his price....

Good call-

If it doesn't even work on the driveway- you know whats going to happen on a ride. Could be an adjustment but still.....

I'm having a hard time understanding why guys are saying get the 900 when the 1000 is clearly a faster better suspended car with more upside potential.

Im going to put a big bore kit in my car after this season- with 30 inch tires I just want more.
I prefer big bore NA to turbos anyway.

UD

TCHB

Reaction score
The 1000 is a better car! Here is a pic of today at Glamis.

Stock car runs great and easier on my body!

Attachments

• Glamis.jpg
    Glamis.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 113

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Mike.. Talk to Ricky about the ranger nation. Lol. They are less then half the price and we are in the rear with the beer. :D

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1447552605.748901.jpg

Hammer

Reaction score
Good call-

If it doesn't even work on the driveway- you know whats going to happen on a ride. Could be an adjustment but still.....

I'm having a hard time understanding why guys are saying get the 900 when the 1000 is clearly a faster better suspended car with more upside potential.

Im going to put a big bore kit in my car after this season- with 30 inch tires I just want more.
I prefer big bore NA to turbos anyway.

UD

Mike.. Talk to Ricky about the ranger nation. Lol. They are less then half the price and we are in the rear with the beer. :D

View attachment 447404

It's been decided. Going with a 2016 4 seat 1k. We will stick with that for the next 5 years I'd say. I don't see the SXS changing that drastically to where we would want to jump into a newer SXS . Anything above that and you are getting into sand rail territory.

idk

Reaction score
It's been decided. Going with a 2016 4 seat 1k. We will stick with that for the next 5 years I'd say. I don't see the SXS changing that drastically to where we would want to jump into a newer SXS . Anything above that and you are getting into sand rail territory.

Good call, I wouldn't have looked at anything other the a 1000. you can find xp4 new from $22 on up. I've heard the dealer in castaic used to cut deals I don't know if he still does. Coyne in banning has a nice one with a lot of extras for $27, the dealer in victorville has one listed for $22,2.

plaster dave

Face down A$$ up
Reaction score
Good call, I wouldn't have looked at anything other the a 1000. you can find xp4 new from $22 on up. I've heard the dealer in castaic used to cut deals I don't know if he still does. Coyne in banning has a nice one with a lot of extras for $27, the dealer in victorville has one listed for $22,2.

I was quoted $20,500 each on buying from them when I was looking.

2CHILL

Reaction score
Who did the conversion? Stock driveline or is the tranny and belt system out of the snowmobile as well? Any axle problems?[/QUOTE

He drove to Michigan last winter and had a guy do it (I'll get the guys info). Heavy duty axes and upgraded belts, and new radiator. I think that's it. It is crazy fast and loud as hell. A muffler system is next...

idk

Reaction score
Nice, When I bought mine over a year ago I didn't know he was a polaris dealer till a week after buying mine needless to say I wish I would have went there.

Kylemenz1

Reaction score

I was checking on out at the dealer the other day. They look like they would work real well! The suspension geometry looks killer. I'd like to see how people like them after a year or so. And if they make a 4 seater I might be real serious about one.

TCHB

Reaction score
I heard about all these great deals so I started the hunt calling every dealer including the one in El Centro. The best price I could find was right here in Havasu at AZ West. OTD under $20K with 4 point seat belts for a two passenger model delivered to my house. The 4 seat model was $2K more.

Hammer

Reaction score
We are very happy with ours
51cfef1da64bdb4e7dc4c49b4435163f.jpg
bf205e5816bc7438bac8c3c39b2477e5.jpg

Did you have a rhino before? Everyone is telling me to stay away from the Maverick. It's cheaper and I think it's built better. Especially fit and finish. Has anyone actually drove both? Seems everyone is a mfg cheer leader.

Reactions: Wmc