WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

K50 Ghost of Cold Fire

Gelcoater

Reaction score
Julian Pettengill / Cold Fire were hands down the most dominant driver / K boat in that era. Wayne did a stunning clone of it. His is really named The ghost of Cold Fire.
I remember reading somewhere that there was a short string of Beismeyer flats built in Cold fire back in the late 60s and they're fairly rare today.

There were a few Meyers Manx cars built in that color during that era as well. Last I checked there were about a dozen known to exist.

sorry to be reading this guy has a broken back.
Hopefully today's modern medicine and science can dial this guy in.

lbhsbz

Putting on the brakes
Reaction score
Julian Pettengill / Cold Fire were hands down the most dominant driver / K boat in that era. Wayne did a stunning clone of it. His is really named The ghost of Cold Fire.

I watched Dave B. (RIP) wring that thing out in Long Beach in 2009 for the win against Tony...I've never seen so many fans on the railing at a LB race. That boat and all involved with it are pretty kick ass in my book. Always a favorite.

Dana757

Reaction score
I remember reading somewhere that there was a short string of Beismeyer flats built in Cold fire back in the late 60s and they're fairly rare today.

There were a few Meyers Manx cars built in that color during that era as well. Last I checked there were about a dozen known to exist.

sorry to be reading this guy has a broken back.
Hopefully today's modern medicine and science can dial this guy in.
Cold fire is Is just that. Blown alcohol runs cooler then blown gas. K50’s were all green I’m pretty sure.

I saw him get pitched. He was moving for sure.

Dana757

Reaction score
I watched Dave B. (RIP) wring that thing out in Long Beach in 2009 for the win against Tony...I've never seen so many fans on the railing at a LB race. That boat and all involved with it are pretty kick ass in my book. Always a favorite.
Yeah that was exciting. And agree, top notch all the way around for sure.

707dog

Reaction score
dang wish the guy a speedy recovery i got a few of his videos saved on youtube love seeing that thing rip the river!

Sharp Shooter

The "anti-yuppie"
Reaction score
After 7.5 hours of surgery that the Doc said was successful, we're still waiting to see if his feeling will return to his legs. He was able to feel the nurses touch to each of his legs which she said was a good sign so I view this as really good news, but remain hopeful for a full recovery.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
After 7.5 hours of surgery that the Doc said was successful, we're still waiting to see if his feeling will return to his legs. He was able to feel the nurses touch to each of his legs which she said was a good sign so I view this as really good news, but remain hopeful for a full recovery.

Thanks Jerry for keeping us updated on his condition. We are all pulling for him.

Kachina26

Inmate #RDP158
Reaction score
Unsafe speed for the conditions.;) Glad to hear the guy is going to be okay, sounds like a lot of you are friends with him. But with that said this could of gone really bad. Dude is showing off and obviously didn't read the water properly and if that boat hooked right instead of left it looks like it could of hit many innocent bystanders. :(
It's not like it's spring break or Saturday afternoon mid-summer. It was at an event that was planned and somewhat controlled. Water is a dynamic environment and things change.

I don't know Wayne, but I'm pulling for him.

Sharp Shooter

The "anti-yuppie"
Reaction score
Heard from a friend today that they will try to get him back on his feet today. :) Hopefully everything is going well!

RD

Billy's facebook update: Wayne is improving. They put him in a clam shell and got him to sit up. Then they attempted to get him to walk. He got light headed and had to get back to bed. Still some numbness in his legs. But it appears that is going away
1f44d.png

dryhoze1

Reaction score
Billy's facebook update: Wayne is improving. They put him in a clam shell and got him to sit up. Then they attempted to get him to walk. He got light headed and had to get back to bed. Still some numbness in his legs. But it appears that is going away
1f44d.png

Great news !
Thanks for the updates Jerry

Willie B

aberrant member
Reaction score
1f44d.png

...Great News...The fact that he can stand upright at all and that the numbness sounds as though it is disapating is huge news...
...pretty indicative that there is no what is called a signal...from the spinal cord...a good thing...
...These days they stand you up and walk you as soon as they possibly can ...They got me out of bed and walked me 2 hours after my neck surgery...
...Wayne being light headed would be expected...Imagine 7 1/2 hours of surgery, which in itself is a huge shock to the human body,...plus being hooked up to a morphine/Valium drip...anybody would be light headed...

Last edited:

Boat211

Reaction score
1f44d.png
I get light headed every time I try to get up darn near. So Wayne being light headed after laying down for that long would be somewhat normal I would think. Definitely sounds like positive news though if their trying to get him up. Looking forward to hearing more good updates.

Billy-B

Reaction score
...I’m trying to figure out what made the boat chine left???hard to tell whether there was a small roller...don’t think being on the down pedal would have caused the boat to then nose in tossing Wayne as the ass end of the boat looked to be completely out of the water???...But then what do I know???...

Billy-B

Reaction score
Reason it hooked left is due to rightside of nose being buried in the angled roller. It was truly a blessing it went that direction.

skiracr

Catalina Ski Race, Boat # 222
Reaction score
There were a set of rollers that he hit. Blew the rear of boat up and bucked him out. Sucks for Wayne I want to know why his helmet came off??

From what i have heard some drivers do not like to buckle their chin strap for fear of the helmet "bucketing". It's my understanding that when a driver goes in the water at the right angle the helmet "buckets" acting like a parachute putting extreme amounts of pressure on the neck. I know of one person who had this happen. It basically stretched him out and broke his neck. with the chin strap not buckled the helmet comes off.

Great news to hear the updates!

guest hs

Reaction score
I don't quit understand what the point of the helmet is if you don't buckle it and it just comes off????

AZMIDLYF

Reaction score
Didn't Nordskog develop an anti-bucketing helmet at one time?

twocents

RDP Staff Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, Nordskog was a big proponent of the non-bucketing style helmet for boat racing. So much so that in the early 1970s he volunteered to fund the research and development of such a helmet (he designed and built several prototypes and also wore one himself in races much to the dismay of APBA). The APBA safety committee dismissed the Nordskog non-bucketing helmet because it would not meet all the direct impact standards set by the Snell Foundation. It was the contention of the Safety Committee that an approved helmet for APBA boat racing must meet all the impact criteria established by Snell, same as a motorcycle helmet. Nordskog contended that there was significant difference between the impact protection needed for motorcycle riders versus boat racers and the non-bucketing helmet should not be measured by those standards. Long story short, APBA turned a blind eye to the serious risk of helmet bucketing and continues to this day mandating motorcycle style helmets being used by boat racers. If anyone has access to a library of old Powerboat Magazines, check out the 1974 and 1975 issues for several detailed articles about non-bucketing boat racing helmets.

Willie B

aberrant member
Reaction score
...You might try the Facebook page of
Krazy Kolors by Billie-B
I was told there is an update there...I am not on Facebook so I can’t look???...

500bbc

Reaction score
...You might try the Facebook page of
Krazy Kolors by Billie-B
I was told there is an update there...I am not on Facebook so I can’t look???...

Wayne is progressing very well, looking forward to his therapy. Billy said he's just a tough SOB and has pushed through the whole deal so far with a few advil.

To paraphrase.

Wbinder

Reaction score
What’s the latest on Wayne, one of my favorite boats to watch on the water. Are we gunna start seeing him out anytime soon? I’m running out of YouTube videos

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wzuber

Reaction score
What’s the latest on Wayne, one of my favorite boats to watch on the water. Are we gunna start seeing him out anytime soon? I’m running out of YouTube videos

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's a three year old thread bud....
But Wayne has made a full recovery to my understanding. I only know of him, don't know him. Give sharp shooter a pm for complete accurate info. Their buds.